Be Reborn 重生之门 [2022]

Be Reborn

English Title: Be Reborn 

Chinese Title: 重生之门 Lit: The Door to Rebirth

No. of Episodes: 26

Network: Youku

Broadcast Period: April 27 2022 to May 20 2022 (VIP)

Genre: Police procedural, crime, mystery, thriller

Cast: 

Zhang Yi -- Luo Jian

Karry Wang/ Wang Junkai -- Zhuang Wenjie

Joyce Feng -- Su Ying

Fan Shiran -- Lin Zhiyue

Xu Yue -- Liao Shuang

Lang Haomeng -- Pang Daizi

Tian Xiaojie -- Ding Shenghuo

Pan Yueming -- Zhuang Yaobai 

Synopsis: Zhuang Wenjie (Karry Wang), a law undergraduate finds himself the subject of an art theft investigation when he discovers that his favourite painting has been swapped for a counterfeit. This leads him into a rabbit hole entangling him with a team of highly proficient art thieves, persistent cops and parental secrets. It turns out that Zhuang Wenjie is the son and grandson of legendary art thieves and has the right sort of analytical mind to continue the family business if he chooses. The temptation to to over to the dark side is ever present except for the persistent intervention of Squad Leader Luo Jian (Zhang Yi), a veteran detective, who is determined to keep the young law student on the straight and narrow.

This drama features a series of theft investigations with an overarching arc focused on mysteries related to Zhuang Wenjie's parents.

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

Currently Watching: Queen of Tears, In Blossom

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

Early Impressions

Be Reborn directed by Yang Dong and starring Zhang Yi is an edge of the seat crime show that features a spate of thefts in Qingcheng involving a highly organized crime syndicate with an unknown mastermind pulling strings in the background. Each crime seems straightforward on the outset but after numerous twists and turns, it's still not entirely clear what this mysterious puppet master is really after. All of this, however, seems to be linked to Zhuang Wenjie played by Karry Wang, a highly intelligent law student with serious trust issues. Wenjie is lured into the net cast by the syndicate due to his curiosity over the nature of his father's death. Was it suicide, an accident or a homicide?

There's more to each case than meets the eye. First a painting from the local university is stolen and yet the perpetrators seems disinterested by the artwork instead it might be a distraction or  a misdirection for some other nefarious purpose. Then, a couple of thieves exert a lot of trouble to steal a novelist's manuscript. Is the manuscript really what they're after? In each of these cases, the cops are led on a wild goose chase before the real motive behind this safecracking burglary comes to light. As each case involving the Qingcheng Public Security Bureau and Zhuang Wenjie plays out, they may or may not be linked somehow to what happened to Zhuang Yaobao, Wenjie's dad. 

Zhang Yi, last seen by me in Reborn (same director but entirely different storyline) is of course excellent. His Luo Jian is a highly experienced cop, sharp and does his fatherly best for the mistrustful Wenjie despite being obviously frustrated by Wenjie's lack of faith in the force. Karry Wang, is adequate as Zhuang Wenjie. There's nothing particularly outstanding about his acting but he's not too terrible. His ability to express himself is fairly limited. His entourage includes childhood friend Lin Zhiyue and tech whizz buddy "Fatty" Pangzi who are along for the ride. 

Whatever shortcomings there might be in the acting department, the script and direction are strong in this one. Each episode ends on a cliffhanger and has you hankering for more. So far. I'm 15 episodes in and there's a nice rhythm going but getting a bit frustrated with Wenjie keeping secrets still from Luo Jian, who has been patient and kind. He's a smart kid but at times he's biting off more than he can chew thinking that he has got things under control.

If you end up liking this drama, I highly recommend Reborn also starring Zhang Yi. It's a completely different story although made by the same director and crew. Read my review here.

I'm tagging those that I think might enjoy this.

@SilverMoonTea@ktcjdrama @NiteWalker @peperomia@IpohBanana@UnniSara

• Like 1
  • Insightful 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

17 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

If you end up liking this drama, I highly recommend Reborn also starring Zhang Yi. It's a completely different story although made by the same director and crew. Read my review here.

I'm tagging those that I think might enjoy this.

@SilverMoonTea@ktcjdrama @NiteWalker @peperomia@IpohBanana@UnniSara

i finish Reborn hehehe...and it was definitely a good one...the twist of the whole plot at the end...was real good

• Party! 2
1 hour ago, NiteWalker said:

i finish Reborn hehehe...and it was definitely a good one...the twist of the whole plot at the end...was real good

Yeah, it's so well written and the acting is so good. So many interesting characters in the mix.

I discovered Zhang Haowei and Zhao Jinmai from that show as well.

This show has plenty of twists and turns as well.

• Haha 1

Just finished epsiode 1 , I am hooked now. 

Characters I like 

Luo Jian- -  He seems like a good cop and observant. I felt that ne needed to get off his high horse when he was being rude to Wen Jie. Wen Jie decided to help and now he wants to not accept his help. smh smh smh 

Lian Shuang-  love her because she is learning and observing and she hasn't given any opinion yet. 

The Thiefs worked really hard to FRAME Wen Jie when he only wants to be left a lone. 

• Clapping Hands 1

Favorite Favorite Artist  Bae Doona, Moon Chae Won, Gong Hyo Jin, Cho Seung Woo, Jang Hyuk,, Jo In Sung,  Gong Yoo

Drama watching now: Plot Love,  Chimera ,The Psychologist, Always have,Always will , Show Windows: Queens House

Just finished epsiode 2.  The pace of Be Reborn is actually just right. I hope the pace continues. 
WOW ... Polie procedures makes me so proudd because they are following the evidence instead of their GUT instinct. I really dislike cop who are always jumping the gun and ruining the drama with their illogical thoughts.

LJ from the begining has been following the evidence and being bery observant. He went to Wen Jie's home to question him. He trusted WJ to do the rihgt thing, was honest with him and so was Wen Jie.  I hope their relationship  has a good ending. 

Wen Jie's life is full of mystery. WHo returned the Water Lily in 2001, Is Wen Jie's father really dead?? WJ has two friends but I still think he may have trust issues. Wen Jie seems to be framed a lot whenever something happens. He has a friend who is always nosy but I can't quite shake the feeling he is nothing but a user. 

• Clapping Hands 1

Favorite Favorite Artist  Bae Doona, Moon Chae Won, Gong Hyo Jin, Cho Seung Woo, Jang Hyuk,, Jo In Sung,  Gong Yoo

Drama watching now: Plot Love,  Chimera ,The Psychologist, Always have,Always will , Show Windows: Queens House

Hello everyone  Can anyone help me get the soundtrack to Be Reborn please

Taking my time watching this drama because it isn't fully subbed. THis is one drama where i really need subs. 

I love the soundtrack, :wow:

Episode 3-5  Wow wow 
Ding Sheng Huo is just a lackey. He acted like he was the master mind but he wasn't. He was out for revenge and making money and the thrill to steal info. This man has trust issues and it was interesting to see him still try to talk to Zhuang Wen Jie

Zhuang Wen Jie iss truly a smart and resourceful kid. He is trying his best to be the best. As the drama preogresses, I am learning more about him. I thought he only loved his mom but I am starting to see that he loved and was loved by his father. His father trained him as best he could and their may have been a reason for his death. Was WJ's father murdered or was it an accident. Maybe his mom may have been also murdered. 

giphy.gif?cid=5e214886b91d2d7912604bd293