Vigilante 비질란테 [2023]

1697432022_1689376.jpg

news-p.v1.20231026.319d4c67f3ab4b6fa8979

“Vigilante” follows the story of JiYong, who judges the wicked criminals that escaped the law, and has become a social phenomenon, and the investigators of the Metropolitan Investigation Unit who pursue him.

It focuses on JiYong (Nam Joo Hyuk ) , a college student who hunts criminals who wander around the city every weekend, and Jo Heon (Yoo Ji Tae) , an investigator of the Metropolitan Investigation Unit, who tracks the existence of the "Vigilante", which is attracting attention from the media and the political and business world.

"Vigilante" is based on the webtoon of the same name written by CRG and illustrated by Kim KyuSam (김규삼).

Source : kpopmap

Available on Disney Plus

Airing date: 8 November 2023

Number of episodes: 8

Original Webtoon link: https://comic.naver.com/webtoon/list?titleId=703843

• Like 1
  • Party! 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: The Impossible Heir - Fri-Sat:  -  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - In Blossom, Guess Who I Am

Cast : 

Source from Kpopmap

vigilante-nam-joohyuk-cast-image.jpg

Nam JooHyuk  as Kim JiYong

Kim JiYong is a college student and a dark hero with another name, “Vigilante.” After losing his mother at the hands of a gangster he becomes the “Vigilante”, who hunts down criminals. 

vigilante-yoo-jitae-cast-image.jpg

Yoo JiTae as Jo Heon

Jo Heon is the head of the investigation team of the Metropolitan Investigation Unit and is known as a “physical monster.” 

vigilante-lee-junhyk-cast-image.jpg

Lee JunHyuk as Jo KangOk

Jo KangOk is the vice president of DK Group. 

Kim-SoJin-vigilante-cast.jpg

Kim SoJin  as Choi MiRyeo

Choi MiRyeo is reporter who notices the existence of "Vigilante". She is a capable and beautiful woman with a firm character and beliefs as a journalist.

• Like 3
  • Party! 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: The Impossible Heir - Fri-Sat:  -  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - In Blossom, Guess Who I Am

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/10/2022 at 5:59 PM, ktcjdrama said:

Ooo, this is a must watch...

But why do I have a feeling LJH is playing an antagonist role? sigh...

I am also not sure ....I think he funds the vigilante organisation that NJH's character works for. There's a webtoon but I didn't check the story. 

Some fan cam stuff

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Awesome 1

• 5 months later...

68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e617773

Reporter Park Hye Jin

b8a17ca7-4752-410d-9323-01bfca8e6737.jpg

Actor Nam Joo Hyuk will be fulfilling his service as a military police officer.

On January 31, his label Management SOOP told media,"Nam Joo Hyuk passed the military police task force exam today." The actor applied for an interview with the mobile team of the Military Police Corps on the 5th and he received his final acceptance notice today. He's expected to officially enlist this March.

Nam Joo Hyuk will be undergoing basic military training for 5 weeks at an army training center before beginning to serve as a military police officer. His squadron has yet to be confirmed.

In other news, Nam Joo Hyuk wrapped up filming for the Disney+ original series 'Vigilante' last month, and he's been taking personal time before his enlistment.

https://www.dispatch.co.kr/category/exclusive

• Thanks 1

CurrentlyLiesGrden•CYouIn19thLif•Battle4HappinssWaitingRvenant•Heartb•NumbersFinishedBingeWatchingRace•B.Knight•GloryIIDaily•2D1NS4•RunMan

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

YJT explained why he bulked up for this role

https://news.jtbc.co.kr/article/article.aspx?news_id=NB12148673

Yoo Ji-tae gained 20kg of weight to realistically portray Jo Heon, a man with incredible strength who can crush coins with one hand, and created a muscular physique by bulking up with exercise.

Yoo Ji-tae, who revealed the reason for choosing the work, said, “I had confidence and expectations that a Korean-style hero story could be made, and I thought it was a character that could show a stronger side than the characters I have played so far.” Yoo Ji-tae said, “To show off my appearance, I gained about 20kg" He bulked up on site by doing everything from bodyweight exercises to machine exercises. He tried a side-parting style, which is something he’s never done with his hair before.

0b71c090-5fac-4e4b-9e11-27336109178e.jpg

f6344aa6-04a5-402e-8114-7418413956b9.jpg

e91e40da-a85d-4e3e-b850-3ccdde9356b5.jpg

NJH doing action genre for the first time:

Source: https://kookbang.dema.mil.kr/newsWeb/20231020/4/ATCE_CTGR_0060010000/view.do

'Vigilante' is an action thriller about Kim Ji-yong, a model police student who upholds the law during the day, but at night,  lives as a vigilante who personally judges criminals who have escaped the law, and the people surrounding him with different standards.

Kim Ji-yong experiences an incident in which his mother dies after being brutally assaulted by a local gangster when he was young. Because of this, he decided to personally judge the gangsters who committed crimes even after being released from prison. From that day on, Jiyong Kim judges criminals who evaded the law and implements the justice that the law could not solve in his own way. Nam Joo-hyuk, who plays the role of Kim Ji-yong, is a model police student who is perfect in martial arts, studies, and daily life during the day, but at night, he plays a ruthless and cold vigilante and will lead the play by playing polar opposite characters.

Nam Joo-hyuk, who is challenging the action genre for the first time in his life in 'Vigilante'?, tried to show realistic action by receiving weight training, boxing, judo, and martial arts training. When playing police student Kim Ji-yong, he portrays an ordinary college student who is no different from any other 20-year-old, and when playing Vigilante, he puts on a hoodie and expresses the darker inner side of the character, giving a delicate performance of a character with two sides.

2023102001000156400014802.jpg?t=20231021

2023102001000156400014801.jpg?t=20231021

• Like 1

Oh so my dearest oppa here is not playing a villain

optimize

Lee Joon Hyuk plays the role of Jo Kang Ok, a second-generation chaebol and big fan of Vigilante. Jo Kang Ok is the young vice chairman of DK Group, a leading company and follows Vigilante in his own way using money and information power. After seeing the news about Vigilante, Jo Kang Ok, who dreamed of becoming a hero as a child, feels excitement at seeing a real-life hero and becomes a big fan of vigilante.

Lee Joon Hyuk revealed the reason for choosing this drama, saying, “I thought it would not be easy to meet such a unique character, so I really wanted to take it.”

Lee Joon Hyuk also shared about how he prepared for his role, “Jo Kang Ok is more free-spirited than any other character, so I tried to believe in the freedom of this character and just go with that. While I was preparing for Jo Kang Ok’s role, I thought that he was a person who lives [his life] like a musical, and I got help from watching variety shows, documentaries, and reality programs.”

https://entertain.naver.com/now/read?oid=311&aid=0001653202

• Insightful 1

Episode 1+2

• Watched the first two episodes, I liked what I have seen so far. It's a bit unfamiliar to see NJH in such an unsual role for him, but he performs quite well. I buy his role. He suits it and I think I've never seen him so manly before. 
  • Cases were all a bit short, but interesting, so far I cheered for everytime he beat some up. I like the fact that he sometimes spares his victims and something just kills them off for sure. 
  • The usual tropes are already fully in place though, the public celebrates his actions and the police wants him to be caught. They treat him as murderer. 
    I actually feel a lot of similiarities already to the first season of 'Taxi Driver', expect he acts on his own without a team. Another interesting point is that instead of a prosecutor helping him at times, we have a journalist that seemingly supports him from the shadows. 
  • This is what the drama makes really interesting so far, because I wonder how far Mrs. Choi's actions go and how far she is willing to support and cover the Vigilante. So far she just feeds him new cases, that she takes advantage of. But is she just doing it for success, good stories and career or does she also have an interest in the person behind it. 
    Will she protect and cover Ji-Young when the police are on his tail and will be eventually caught?
  • Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 2
9 hours ago, Dhakra said:

This is what the drama makes really interesting so far, because I wonder how far Mrs. Choi's actions go and how far she is willing to support and cover the Vigilante. So far she just feeds him new cases, that she takes advantage of. But is she just doing it for success, good stories and career or does she also have an interest in the person behind it. 
Will she protect and cover Ji-Young when the police are on his tail and will be eventually caught?

She's an interesting character....I don't think she is doing this because she's wants justice for the victims. She was visibly upset when the cops were on the case which would mean she wanted Vigilante to get the guy so that they have sensational stories to sell. 

Yoo Ji Tae who played the cop at the end of episode 2 is another interesting character too.  He's a bit heavy handed or perhaps he sees it as necessary for dealing with tough criminals. 

47 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

I'm surprised he went as far as killing them. I was used to heroes punishing the villains and in the end always hand them back to the law/police. This one actually takes lives. That's a refreshing depiction, and I wonder how it will end.

I was shocked too....I think this is maybe the 1st one I have seen in a long time where he outright kills them. It takes a certain sort of mindset to murder someone regardless of whether they deserved it.

Anyway I can't say I was wowed by the premiere episodes but it wasn't bad. It was good to see Nam Joo Hyuk take on something different. But my main complain is where is my oppa Lee Joon Hyuk? :laugh:

• Haha 2

The thing I find dangerous in what he's doing (as in killing) is, how can he be sure the criminal is indeed guilty? What if the man was framed to look guilty by the corrupted police or media? He was so quick to act on them based on both episodes. I'd think he should take some time to investigate or observe the target before attacking.

I'd like to know more of his inner thoughts and emotions. What does he feel after taking the target out? It reminded me of this quote from The Dark Knight by Harvey Dent — You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become a villain. Depending on what his mentality is, he is either going to be the hero or ended up no different to the villain/criminals.

• Insightful 1