One Dollar Lawyer 천원짜리 변호사 [2022]

Tofu

14 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

And gosh that chemistry between NGM and LCA is organic - not forced. Drama gods need to let these two have a drama where they are leads. 

Second this. Except that don’t ever expect a kissing scene. Pretty sure NGM will never want to shoot anymore kissing scenes now that he’s married. I get that feel from him. 

• Haha 3

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

Did you see the proposal? I don't know why it made me tear! 😅

'There's something that I hope you would do for me. Will you do me a favor?'

'What is it? Tell me'

'Will you marry me?'

On 10/16/2022 at 10:41 AM, LaLa said:

But it doesn't explain his quirks.. maybe losing the people he loved and admire just in the span of 2 years snap him to the point he is almost crazy? But I'm glad that it looks like it just a fake since when he's inside his own room, we do see the cold and serious prosecutor that he used to be. 

I think he is still searching for the people responsible for the 2 deaths. So he could be faking the quirky persona to mask what he is really trying to do.

On 10/16/2022 at 10:41 AM, LaLa said:

What's with people in drama that could not keep paper inside their bag and instead holding it around, waiting for wind or anything to make it fly out of their hands... 

Exactly! It's common sense not to expose important documents or count money in public! 😂

• Haha 3
  • Clapping Hands 1
22 hours ago, Chocolate said:

Did you see the proposal? I don't know why it made me tear! 😅

It’s the BGM! Haha... Yes, the clip been viral. Seems like the audio and video not in sync ya, but whatever... I really like that it’s just a simple proposal over dinner. Nothing fancy or elaborate. I think it’s very meaningful in its own way. 

• Heart Eyes 2

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

I must be one of the few people on the internet that really loved Ji-hun's backstory. It was beautifully done and acting from Namgoon Min and Lee Chung-a was great. While it scratched an itch left from the waste that was Awaken, it made me a little greedy for more. Even though it's was a short-lived romance it was better done than many just because the Ju-yeong character was smart and likeable -- she was exactly what the doctor ordered ie. She was what Ji-hun needed but alas.

It does have many of the elements of a superhero origin story.

• Heart Eyes 2
  • Clapping Hands 1

Currently Watching: Queen of Tears, In Blossom

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

1 hour ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

I must be one of the few people on the internet that really loved Ji-hun's backstory.

Really? I thought almost everyone loved it. It is too short, but enough as a flashback here, tho’ I myself wouldn’t mind a spin-off of that story alone. I haven’t read any rant about the backstory... is there? 

• Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

MTDzeiV.gif

As far as I know @ktcjdrama @40somethingahjumma the backstory was well-received. 

My heart really hurts watching eps 7. I am glad that  the entire episode is dedicated to JH's past. 

JH has gone through a lot and clearly these experiences are what drives him to do what he does now.

I started tearing up when he and the dad had noodles here together. You could already sense how heartbroken JH was.

Ffl_t83aMAYr0aL?format=jpg&name=large

And their chemistry is undeniable. I like how she pursued him first.

Ffl_p1saAAAGWnC?format=jpg&name=large

• Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

Apart from cutting down to 12 episodes, there is no episode tonight. They are doing a special and eps 9 will only be aired tomorrow. Do you know why they are cutting down the episodes @Chocolate?

Urghhh I am gonna start eps 8 ...and I know my heart will break one more time 

30000798103_1280.jpg

• Like 3

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

@ktcjdrama @abs-oluteM

On MDL lots of commenters were complaining that the backstory was too long or that it should have come earlier or in small chunks of flashbacks. But I liked how they did it because they built up the suspense of why he's called "The One Dollar Lawyer", why he left the prosecution office and gave a thorough explanation of it. In fact the backstory explained a lot. But the fact that the Baek Law Firm is involved with his father and Ju-yeong's deaths will be hard for Ma-ri down the road.

My Korean student was telling me today that officially in SK Episode 8 is considered the end of S1. Episode 9 then is the start of Episode 2. He was pretty insistent as that was what his mother told him. Take it for whatever it's worth. :D

• Insightful 2
  • Clapping Hands 2

Currently Watching: Queen of Tears, In Blossom

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

4 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

My Korean student was telling me today that officially in SK Episode 8 is considered the end of S1. Episode 9 then is the start of Episode 2.

That's believable and actually, quite good structure.

1a. Intro of what the $1 Lawyer is, how he handles the cases, the kind of person he is.

1b. Revelation of why he is what he is now.

2. Then comes the revenge! But this part should be 8 episodes! I'm OCD. 8 + 4 is un-balanced!

Edited by Chocolate
  • Haha 3

Midway in eps 8 ...I know what's coming which is probably why I am tearing up in all their scenes.

This is how you make an impactful back story and romance.

I love how she gently & patiently helped him in his darkest hours. At the proposal scene , I almost thought he was gonna break up and then he just kneeled and took out the ring. I cried like a baby.

"That was your third smile"

FfrAlt8VIAEn9zW?format=jpg&name=medium

I am sorry to Mari ...but with this backstory , it would even be harder for me to see him with someone else. 

• Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

I really cried a river by the time episode 8 was over. Eps 7 & 8 were the best episodes even though it was so different in tone from the first 6. We now understand why JH is on this path. 

(But why oh why didn't she snapshot the stuff on the documents and messaged him? Urrgggg)

--------------------

New stills 

image_readtop_2022_936075_16663963245205

image_readtop_2022_936956_16664276525206

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Chocolate said:

What you you guys think of Min Hyeok's father?

Dad is ambitious and wants to use MH as a way to become closer to MR's grandfather through marriage. Think he could be rather shady - perhaps is involved with that slush fund thing and Ju Yeong's death.

On the other hand it is so nice to see Choi Dae Hoon play a nice guy. He is a tad vain but at least he's sweet & thoughful. He and the sunbae are pretty competent. MH was said to have looked up very much to JH , and I don't think MH will turn out to be the bad guy

Spoiler

Eps 9 was back to full force comedy. I don't mind it but my heart is still somewhere there in eps 8. I have to say it aches a bit each time I see the ring on his finger. But in that final scene, was that guy the person who stabbed Ju Yeong? Is that why he was glaring at him?

Spoiler

FfwQPIAaAAAmjs0?format=jpg&name=900x900

I believe this episode was already shot before NGM caught Covid & got married. So is there a possibility that they are struggling to finish filming which is why they are cutting down the episodes?  Plus for the next 3 weeks we will be getting only one episode per week. Ep 9's case felt a bit like a filler episode for a drama that supposedly wants to tighten the plot and wrap things up quickly.

Also ratings wise, the drama is doing so well. So I cannot wrap my head around why they would want to cut down the episodes. 

• Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 2

On 10/22/2022 at 7:52 AM, abs-oluteM said:

(But why oh why didn't she snapshot the stuff on the documents and messaged him? Urrgggg)

I know! I was wondering why she didn't take photos of the documents or tell Ji Hun about it over the phone even if it's something like she came across paperwork about his father. I can't remember, did the drama show if Ji Hun know that both deaths (his father and fiancé) are connected to each other? 

I don't understand why they cut the episodes down to 12 either, but lately I feel like 12 is the new 16. More and more dramas are only 12 episodes long now. I can't say I dislike it because I enjoy shorter dramas especially since my attention span is very short. :laugh:

• Haha 4

When you photocopy, do you check the copy, make sure the page is at least clear? Mari doesn't 🙄! Fortunately she has some drawing skills but still. I want to smack her most of this episode - that smirk and eye lift, her standard expression, is getting to me.

The plot development is also going too slowly. And I hope Mari's grandfather is not the ultimate villian.

What was a hoot was Min Hyeok and his colleague, Ms Cobra! 😂 I wouldn't mind these 2 together.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 1
5 hours ago, Chocolate said:

What was a hoot was Min Hyeok and his colleague, Ms Cobra! 😂 I wouldn't mind these 2 together.

While both of them also have this mentor and mentee vibe, I don't mind if they are going to romance way. Only if the senior is a single mother. So far there's mention about her husband, isn't it? Her daughter is mostly with the nanny when she's at work. And MH is worried about herself too as a person not just as a senior and partner at work.. 

When Grandpa Baek seems to act cozy with our suspicious culprit, does it mean he took part for the murderer? Recent murder maybe, but I wish at least he's clean for JY case. He's fond of her, wasn't he? While I won't say the same with MH dad, I still have a very little hope in Grandpa Baek. 

The hidden person who was supposed to be the boss is a different person. I think I recognized the actor's voice because I watched at least one or two dramas of his previous work. There's only 2 episodes left and it's going to be a tight one because of the cut... 

• Clapping Hands 4

Currently Watching List:

K-drama: The Real Has Come, See You in My 19th Life 

K-variety: 

5 hours ago, Chocolate said:

1 minute ago, LaLa said:

While both of them also have this mentor and mentee vibe, I don't mind if they are going to romance way. Only if the senior is a single mother. So far there's mention about her husband, isn't it? Her daughter is mostly with the nanny when she's at work. And MH is worried about herself too as a person not just as a senior and partner at work.. 

Oh man ...I ship them too. I have a feeling JY is a single mum. The fact that MH bought a gift for the daughter on her behalf kind of hinted that she doesn't have a partner ( or husband ) that can help her sort these things out. There's no mention of husband too and she has to leave the daughter with nanny even on off days.  The potential!!! (Yes, MH please forget about MR)

FgU3rqPaAAAL5tp?format=jpg&name=large

FgU3tYuacAAoa4j?format=jpg&name=large

I think MR's grandfather isn't behind JY's death though I am quite sure as lawyers to all these corrupted people, they would be privy to a lot of shady things going on. Is  the  mystery man  this actor ? He has a very distinct low voice. 

Spoiler

photo1346192.jpg

The pacing here is better than eps 9 (which felt like a filler episode). At least in eps 10  he's starting to find some clues to who could have killed JY. 

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 3

23 hours ago, Chocolate said:

When you photocopy, do you check the copy, make sure the page is at least clear? Mari doesn't 🙄! Fortunately she has some drawing skills but still. I want to smack her most of this episode - that smirk and eye lift, her standard expression, is getting to me.

I rolled my eyes too... That is so basic!

18 hours ago, LaLa said:

The hidden person who was supposed to be the boss is a different person. I think I recognized the actor's voice

I tried hard to think of who the actor could be, but couldn't come up with any face. The voice is familiar though. Since they've hidden the face, must be a new character, right?

• Like 4

MTDzeiV.gif

@abs-oluteM yes that's the actor that I have in my mind since ep 10.. 

@Tofu @ktcjdrama I don't think he has appeared in a lot of dramas or probably I watched less drama who included his as part of the cast.. I remember his face and voice but not the actor name. Sorry sir :psweatduck:

Ep 11 is really a filler episode to me. How are they going to wrap the whole episode in one hour? Did sbs do them dirty or what I don't understand.. If they stay true to 14 episodes format, I can stand the sudden 1 year time skip because honestly JH did look scary when he's almost killed that man. Like he just ignored everything but revenge for the man who harmed JY and led to her death. Ep 11 can be the filler, ep 12 and 13 build the case and ep 14 can be the final. It's quite okay with that flow. But how are they going to solve it in one sitting? How about MH and HJ investigation? They went to the party to investigate but it was dumped to the trash. Revelation about Chairman Baek and his friendliness with the killer? 

WAs the script got burned or the filming tape got suddenly deleted and couldn't be recovered or what? It's confusing and well little bit disappointing..

• Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 2

Currently Watching List:

K-drama: The Real Has Come, See You in My 19th Life 

K-variety: