The Golden Spoon [2022]

stroppyse

I don't usually get SLS but in this one, I believe I'm close to getting one with Hwang Tae Yong. That lingering feelings he felt towards Seung Cheon's family and how it actually healed him made me go all "awwww". I almost wish he could be their second son because he really really enjoys and loves them.

It really sucks for Seung Cheon that he just can't get his family out of the poverty. I almost thought Seung Cheon was going to rely on the golden spoon again when he found out Mum trying to sell her organs.

• Like 1

Life is so hard... for Seung Cheon and his family. I really can understand how he would be tempted to use the golden spoon again. The preview for ep.6 is really intense. I'm anxious thinking how the story will go moving forward. I feel that this drama is giving out all sorts of conundrum. I don't know who to root for. I really feel bad for Tae Yong when he was all blank about what has happened. That step-uncle of him is really detestable. I'm glad to see Tae Yong has a Jang Moon Ki around him, which made me kinda wonder, could his father has purposely hired such a person to be around Tae Yong because he knows that his son needed extra protection? But can we actually expect this bit of fatherly love from him? Why am I doubtful....

I thought the scene towards the end of ep.5, where the four leads were together was intense too. Yeo Jin is ambitious and cunning. She wants Seung Cheon to be the Hwang Tae Yong that she can marry. At this point, I am pretty sure the one I'm shipping for is Tae Yong (as Seung Cheon) with Joo Hee. This aspect is also a difficult one for me to decide where to stand. I certainly wouldn't want to be in Joo Hee's shoes.

Didn't think that we'll get a one-year time jump so soon, but since that has happened, it seems that we'll get to see Seung Cheon using the spoon again, live as Tae Yong, and then we'll jump to 10 years later? Is it safe to assume by then, Seung Cheon will decide to return to his original identity? Making that the ending of the drama? Interestingly, Tae Yong retained some vague memory as Seung Cheon. My heart feel for him so much when he was missing his "mother" and remembering the advice/comfort from his "father" about his panic attack.

• Like 1

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Kidnapping // Dog Day // Lovers // Vote

I didn't want SC to use the spoon. Anyway his life in poverty was horrible. JN is really evil, she wants a TY she can control, she knows about SC's secrets.

@ktcjdrama I feel the same about the real TY, poor guy is bullied by the uncle. 

SC didn't appreciate his family, they are not materialistic. Does he want money to help them out?

It is hard to do so because they won't accept the money. TY's father is controlling his money. I don't feel comfortable about the swap.

Edited by Nohamahmoud2002
  • Like 1
14 hours ago, Nohamahmoud2002 said:

JN is really evil, she wants a TY she can control, she knows about SC's secrets.

I think it’s not about whether she can control SC as TY or not, but because SC in TY’s status can ensure money keep coming, while real TY is not ambitious about money. So it’s like pointless for her to marry into his family with such timid Tae Yong. 

14 hours ago, Nohamahmoud2002 said:

SC didn't appreciate his family, they are not materialistic. Does he want money to help them out?

I think part of it is to help them, but part of it it’s about pride as well. When he is in position with money, he can do more for his real family, directly or indirectly. Like he regretted only taking a fake watch when returning to his own identity, failing to take more money. He for sure won’t make the same mistake now. But this time he has to be in it for 10 years... That’s a really long time 😓

Edited by ktcjdrama
  • Sad 1

MTDzeiV.gif

That annoying step-uncle killed Juhee's dad, isn't it? He said he is preparing a gift so I'm guessing that is his gift, pretending to "help" cover up Tae Yong again.

Since Seung Cheon goes back to become Hwang Tae Yong, I now need him to be smart and become powerful. He's so helpless right now it is so hard to watch :(

Bring in the time jump soon...

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

I watched episode 7. JH's father is dead. TY hugs her, while SC is watching sadly.

SC helps his family by giving them money to hire a house (not sure how he did it).

SC reads the number 1356 on the spoon referring to 10 years. I guess he will be rich for 10 years ??

TY hits JN's dad when he knew that he offered money to his mom in return for having an affair with her. He wanted to kill him but SC sis calls him and he stops him. 

The creepy uncle knew that on the night of the murder SC came back drunk, he reported this to the police and accused SC if murdered JH's dad (don't know how).

At last the truth about the accident in US is revealed. TY's step uncle was at the same school as TY, I think. The uncle shot a group of students and put the gun in TY's hands, which is the reason of his panic attacks. TY's dad covered up for that. 

JH losses the money bag which JN took and gave to a beggar. The butler was going to testify to JH that she saw SC in the night of the shooting, TY's dad killed her by a truck. Was the uncle the real culprit?

The uncle accuses SC of shooting JH dad, he uses fake DNA test to prove that. The father believes it and sends SC to the states. 

Seems that 10 years pass already. Sungjae looks wacko in clothes and earrings ,😂 suits him more lols

If he had a Golden Spoon, who would BtoB’s Yook Sung-jae swap lives with in real life?

If he had a Golden Spoon, who would BtoB’s Yook Sung-jae swap lives with in real life?

It wasn't a tough question for the K-pop idol and Mystic Pop-Up Bar actor who opened up to CNA Lifestyle. Hint: He's an extremely popular British actor who plays an extremely popular Marvel superhero. 

Yook Sung-jae at The Golden Spoon press conference (Photo: Disney+)

14 Oct 2022 07:00AM (Updated: 14 Oct 2022 07:00AM)

In Disney+’s fantasy K-drama The Golden Spoon, K-pop boyband BtoB’s Yook Sung-jae plays a poor student who stumbles upon a magical golden spoon that he uses to switch places with a rich friend several times, in the hopes of turning his life around.

It’s a premise reminiscent of Mark Twain’s classic The Prince And The Pauper, but also one meant to provoke a question about society and materialism: Does the wealth of your parents determine your ultimate destiny?

The director, Robin Song, knew the show, which is based on a webtoon of the same name, “might make some of the audience feel very uncomfortable”.

“But we now live in an era where rags-to-riches stories are a thing of the past with a pervasive sense of resignation and cynicism about the wealth of your parents determining your destiny,” he said during a recent press conference.

“I wanted to capture with honesty our individual desires towards that trend and the general social tendencies of our time through our show and most importantly, I made great efforts to point to these aspects of our society in a direct way.”

It's this very nuanced and layered storytelling that made lead actor Yook want to take up the challenge of portraying Lee Seung-cheon in his first-ever project after completing military service.

“The characters I played in my previous projects like Mystic Pop-up Bar and Goblin were a little mischievous, light-hearted and cheerful. I thought Lee Seung-cheon in The Golden Spoon would be an opportunity for me to portray someone who is slightly darker and more serious. I chose this series because I wanted to expand the spectrum of characters I play,” he shared. “Most importantly, I chose The Golden Spoon because of director Song.”

SCROLL TO CONTUE WITH COTENT

golden_spoon_3.jpg?itok=uslCzF2O

BtoB’s Yook Sung-jae play poor student Lee Seung-cheon who stumbles upon a magic golden spoon in Disney +'s The Golden Spoon. (Photo: Disney +)

So what if the 27-year-old K-pop and K-drama star had the fantastical opportunity to switch lives with someone in real life, even for a day? CNA Lifestyle had to ask: Who would he choose?

“Tom Holland!” Yook replied with a big laugh and without hesitation. “Tom Holland! Tom Holland! I mean, who wouldn’t want to play Spider-Man?”

2021-12-26t181358z_2_lynxmpehbp05p_rtrop

FILE PHOTO: Cast member Tom Holland attends the premiere for the film Spider-Man: No Way Home in Los Angeles, California, December 13, 2021. REUTERS/Mario Anzuoni/File Photo

Indeed, the constant swapping of lives can only encourage the characters in The Golden Spoon to grow and change. Having finally completed his military service, how has life changed for Yook, as he starts taking on more roles such as Lee in the show?

golden_spoon_2.jpg?itok=kO7aw98L

BtoB’s Yook Sung-jae play poor student Lee Seung-cheon who stumbles upon a magic golden spoon in Disney +'s The Golden Spoon. (Photo: Disney +)

“After completing my military service, I lived in an illusion for a while,” Yook shared candidly. “I thought the military service transformed me into someone who likes cleaning and who is more mature, prudent, and serious. But after about two months, I realised that I was still the same mischievous, immature boy about to turn 30 soon. The only difference, according to people who know me, would be that I became a little relaxed. I don’t know how to describe it, but my attitude towards my friends became more genuine and authentic.”

The Golden Spoon is currently streaming on Disney +.

Source: CNA/gl

This show is quite dramatic. It at first seems like a coming of age kind of drama (coz they were high school students) but the more I watch it the more I think the theme/genre is too heavy for kids or teens. And just exactly how many golden spoons are there???

Finally we have the time jump. I was getting exhausted/frustrated watching powerless kids and Seung Cheon's family fighting against bullies - be it the teenage or adult version. Let's just let them grow up and have an adult vs adult fight once and for all. Thank you!

So in the end, Jun Tae killed the kids in the US (not surprising there) and Tae Yong's dad killed President Na but made it look like Tae Yong did it. I suspected it since he was quick to cover up and act on it. Hmph. In the end, both Jun Tae and Hwang Hyun Do are the same type of people.

The romance bit is so mess up too. I feel sorry for Ju Hee. :BulbaConfused: Who exactly is she dating and love at the end of this drama?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
On 10/16/2022 at 9:06 PM, gilaswan said:

Who’s starting to find this show unnecessarily messy in plot?

There are things in ep.8 that are starting to not make sense and rather grating me, but I think I will keep on watching.

Some of them are:

- That suspense part about fake Seung Cheon giving the taser to Joo Hee was rather out of place. What are we viewers supposed to think of it? Not funny. 

- Whatever happened to the Joo Hee who worked in mini-mart before? She was fine not being a chaebol, wanting to be independent but now that her father is dead, all of a sudden she doesn't know how to survive in the outside world? She now needs to always be in her  fashion?

- Who in the right mind roll around with a suitcase full of cash? Even having cash in a small briefcase worry me too much. 

- Yeo Jin has the best of luck. Always stumbling upon conversations and events that work in her favour.

- The powerful and mighty Hwang Hyun Do cannot take care of a simple psycho BIL and let that scumbag make the calls and order him around just because of a DNA report? And that Jun Tae is one greedy person. Just look at the things he asked for... and Hwang let him??

Anyway, I think I can guess the final pairing already. It's going to be Joo Hee with real Seung Cheon, whoever he might be at the end. Reason for this is, she kinda resisted the kissing with real Tae Yong as fake Seung Cheon. It's like she could tell she is kissing a different person.

• Like 2

MTDzeiV.gif

Preview

Watched episode 9. I now agree with you that the uncle killed JH's dad to get rid of SC.

Now the uncle feels more animosity against SC. 

Seems that the uncle tried to kill SC many times when he was in the US.

TY reading the notes on the golden spoon. How will he act? I really think TY has a vague hazy memories about his real life.

SC helped his family financially. I really want SC to return to his real life after settling things for TY. Poor TY has panic attacks because of the creepy sleazy uncle. Also SC will learn the value of family. Now after graduation, SC can work and be with his family and with JH.

The problem lies with JN, she has the spoon, and she wants to control SC. But really does SC wants to return back to his life?

@ktcjdrama After ten years JH treats TY as a friend, while he wants more.

• Like 2

I haven't watched the latest episode but seen some spoiler, especially the bit on Jun Tae (Mr. Smile) is actually Tae Yong's stepmother's biological son. It seems like he himself doesn't know the truth. I'm guessing she had him very young and her family took him in as their son instead of grandson (much like Desperate Housewives). On the other hand, I had to laugh that someone online commented how after 10 years she never ages while her son looks so much older than her... so true. But are we heading towards makjang, with this birth secret and murdering...? Agree with ktcjdrama how Hwang Hyun Tae would just quietly let Jun Tae had his way just because he has the DNA report. Why was he so nice to him, who is a nobody to him rather than his own son. How is it that as suspicious and capable as him, not figure out that Jun Tae is actually the killer in US? Is the writer going to pass it on by telling us that he kept quiet so that Jun Tae can continue to be Tae Yong's pacemaker? Surely there are other ways to "train" his own son as a rightful, well-deserved heir than keeping someone so dangerous around. Perhaps he enjoys the challenge...

I see Tae Yong managed to go to Seoul University. That tells me academically he's actually not bad himself.

I read from SNS that Ju Hee in webtoon has always been the 2nd gen Chaebol and never became poor. So we have some slight changes in the adaptation. If she is female lead and Seung Cheon is male lead, by the law of drama, they usually will be the one being together at the end. Plus, if 10 years down the line she and real Tae Yong didn't get together it seems unlikely they will be together at the end too.

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, Nohamahmoud2002 said:

Found this article in English. 

PS it contains spoilers, don't read it if you want to enjoy the drama

No new spoiler for me. The drama has been changed quite a bit from the webtoon. I am kinda skip watching already. The beginning of ep.9 was kinda hard to watch, like so out of tone with the previous episodes. Esp. seeing the major change in real Seung Cheon, although later the reason was revealed. It just made me confused for a bit when watching. Like there is a missing gap. 

• Like 1

MTDzeiV.gif

21 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

No new spoiler for me. The drama has been changed quite a bit from the webtoon. I am kinda skip watching already. The beginning of ep.9 was kinda hard to watch, like so out of tone with the previous episodes. Esp. seeing the major change in real Seung Cheon, although later the reason was revealed. It just made me confused for a bit when watching. Like there is a missing gap. 

He looked wacko lols, could not stop laughing, that is the real Sungjae.

• Haha 1

Hmm… I’m still watching this show cos I want to know if Seungcheon returns to his original family. At this point, I feel Taeyong will in the long term be happier with his adopted family and Seungcheon will be more successful bring the heir of Dosin. Seungcheon needs to stay where he is too in order to protect everyone though - Taeyong was never able to get out of Juntae’s grip as the son of Hyeondo, so they seem best suited strategically where they are now. But Yeojin is really the nemesis of them all. She threatens an otherwise seemingly “perfect” equilibrium (sans the romance cos at this point, neither guy has managed to firmly establish a relationship with Juhee regardless of who they are) because of her personal greed and selfish intentions. What does it really benefit her for Taeyong to know Seungcheon’s memories anyway?

My guess is that Taeyong finds out who he is because of what Yeojin does, but instead of that ruining Seungcheon, both boys decide to stay where they are. Juhee realises after all that Seungcheon is the one who truly acts in her interests (than Taeyong who acts only out of an infatuation) and still chooses him in the end. The biggest loser will be Yeojin. Do you suppose her real memories will be accidentally discovered by her “father”? 

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 1