Once Upon a Small Town [2022]

stroppyse

The euthanasia case is just so sad. Actually I read before that veterinarian is difficult job to handle and it comes with high suicide rate. Because they tend to see animal suffering everyday, and at some country its not a well paid job either. 

This drama is actually great, it did bring many emotion for me. Since Dr Han have such sad background to start with, I can more emphatize with his cold character more. 

As of the second lead, I don't have SLS. But I still appreciate him for being everything to her, as family and brother for her. It's quite touching that he promise that he will still be all that, even if she still won't see him as a man in future. 

• Like 3

ezgif-com-gif-maker-47.gif

2 hours ago, SilverMoonTea said:

Nurungi is just so cute... 

Yes, he's very cute. So happy you're watching this @SilverMoonTea!

1 hour ago, SilverMoonTea said:

The euthanasia case is just so sad. Actually I read before that veterinarian is difficult job to handle and it comes with high suicide rate. Because they tend to see animal suffering everyday, and at some country its not a well paid job either. 

I thought the euthanasia story was very sweet, even though it was sad. The old man cared enough for his bull that he didn't want him to suffer any more as he was dying. I think it's unusual to euthanize large animals, especially farm animals, because of the dosages involved and the money that it costs. I think large animals on farms are usually just put down, which is a euphemism for killing them quickly.

I can believe that about veterinarians, especially the ones who work with large, working animals. And, I suppose if they are a rural vet, they may not make that much money either.

1 hour ago, SilverMoonTea said:

As of the second lead, I don't have SLS. But I still appreciate him for being everything to her, as family and brother for her. It's quite touching that he promise that he will still be all that, even if she still won't see him as a man in future. 

I liked that as well, that they both acknowledged their closeness regardless of what happens.

2 hours ago, SilverMoonTea said:

But the FL kind of funny that she's still try to flirt with him , knowing he had girlfriend 😅 I guess youngster these days don't care much about it 😂

I'm not sure if the FL is flirting with the vet after finding out he has a gf. I think she just really wants him to remember their childhood friendship, and even though she's nominally given up hoping he'll remember, she still can't seem to bring herself to not invade his personal space in a reflection of how close they had been at one point in their lives. Anyway, that's the way I took it.

Though, it is very odd how much she invades his personal space, even if she's not actually touching him, she's leaning very much into him. :thinking:

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Heart Eyes 1
4 hours ago, Nohamahmoud2002 said:

Watched episode 6. I like the ajummas fight and hair pulling, it so funny lols.

I felt so sad about the sick bull. It looks so poor. 

The ajummas fighting and hair pulling was hilarious! Especially, since they are the respective heads of the Women's Associations for their villages. And, in front of the PD from Seoul who is trying to determine the shoot location for the singing contest. :lmao2:

I felt sad about the sick bull, but it was also nice to see that the grandfather really cherished the bull. He was a working bull, but the grandfather probably took good care of him all of his life and didn't abuse him.

• Like 3
On 9/8/2022 at 11:48 PM, abs-oluteM said:

I see some people having SLS but not me....ahahaah. He's cute but completely gives me the friendzoned vibe. Plus I am not fond of people sucking on other people's wounds to disinfect it. Yikes! My OCD just comes out after that. :laugh:To be fair , I see that tension between the leads. 

Hahaha For the one of the first times ever, I don't have second lead syndrome and I'm fully backing the main lead (cc: @mademoiselle and @Tofu)  :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Is it just me, or does he look realllllllllly young? Like I feel like he could be FL's young brother :lol:

On 9/9/2022 at 1:18 AM, Tofu said:

I'm surprised all of you are watching! I picked this up on a whim on Monday because I noticed Joy was in it. I'm not a huge fan of hers (still traumatized by Tempted) but I find her very cute. It's a light and fluffy drama. There's nothing spectacular about it, but it's a nice watch. 

I can't like the ML too much because in his next drama he'll be in a love triangle with Jang Dong Yoon. :laugh:

I've never watched Joy before - I assume she's an idol? What was so terrile about Tempted? In this role she seems very cute and this is so light hearted! I'm kind of surprised I picked this up too, but also not because not because I'm a sucker for warm small town dramas (Dramas I've picked up/ continued for this reason: DDSSLLS, Racket Boys, When the Weather was Fine, Yong Jiu Grocery Store etc) :heart:

On 9/9/2022 at 1:33 AM, abs-oluteM said:

@JenL Rom-com but with a slice of country life. I am already up to speed. Each episode is only 30 minutes and so easy to watch. 

Hahahaha, you know you really sold this to me when you said each episode is 30mins :laugh: But I'm loving it -- it's super digestable and the romance is cute too,

On 9/9/2022 at 6:24 AM, stroppyse said:

This drama has a non-traditional format, probably because it's also being shown on kakao tv. So, the episodes are short, and there are three episodes being shown per week. That means only 3 more weeks to go. Over so soon!

I also don't have any hint of SLS. Though actually, rather than a friend zone, it feels as if Ja Young treats him like a little brother.

It seems that some of the townspeople are pushing for JY to marry the peach farmer because they fear that if she marries anyone else that she may move away. She seems to do a lot for the village, and not just as a policewoman.

I am curious to know what their childhood relationship was, and why he forgot about her.

Damn over so soon!!! :psweatduck: But I guess that's what's nice too - when a series is short and sweet there's less angst and bad writing/ falling off the tracks.

Totallly agree - I feel like this town would fall apart if she moved away! But sh can still marry the vet - she just needs to convince him to stay :smug:  I think the peach farmer is their preference because they also know and trust him and he's one of them and  not a 'cold' outsider!

On 9/13/2022 at 1:47 AM, stroppyse said:

Also, we see how a young JYul gave a dog to JYoung when they were children. I noticed that JYul doesn't say a word in their flashback scene together, and wondered whether it was just after JYul lost his parents, and so was traumatized? It would explain why he doesn't remember her, while she remembers him. Though, if JYul grew up with his grandparents, why does he not know the village? Unless he subsequently went away to boarding school perhaps? I find myself doing some mental gymnastics to come up with plausible scenarios of how his grandparents could have raised JYul, and yet JYul has only minimal knowledge of his grandparents hometown. Actually, the more details we get, the more confusing it feels.

Yeah, he didn't say a word which was weird! And though I definitely felt like that was on purpose to portray something about the character, I also didn't think that child actor looked very natural doing it - he looked a little eager :laugh: Sorry kid, I know you're trying your best :smile:

On 9/9/2022 at 9:00 PM, SilverMoonTea said:

My spirit animal lol

I'm a people person and these sentences still apply to me :laugh:

On 9/13/2022 at 5:12 AM, Nohamahmoud2002 said:

I like the funny nosy ajummas. However, if I were in the ML's shoes I won't like it.

I love nosy villagers in dramas, but it would be hard in real life. I think because they can be sooooooooo friendly but no boundaries would be overbearing!

On 9/14/2022 at 11:30 AM, Tofu said:

@SilverMoonTea I don't know about you, but maybe the 2ML should just go back to not saying anything at all like he did in Inspector Koo. :jiminbtssigh:

Hahaha, poor guy is having a hard time holding his feelings in and we're all like, no, shove those feelings back inside!

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

(But I still like the first lead this time :hug:)

Edited by JenL
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Currently watching: Doctor Slump // Queen of Tears // The Impossible Heir

Current Obsessions: ❤ Lee Jae wook // Park Hyung Sik // Yoon Park

Podcast: These Dramatic Days

On 9/15/2022 at 5:02 AM, stroppyse said:

LOL. I had to look up who Seo Kang Joon was, though I recognized him as soon as I saw him. I think he's been really hit and miss for me, so I tend not to watch his projects.

@Tofu I don't think the vet looks like SKJ at all. There are a couple of scenes though where he almost reminds me of Jun, though not really. I think Jun is a lot cuter. But the vet is cute here as well.

I can see why people think he looks like SKJ, but they're not that similar as well :idk: I think it's maybe face shape and stature rather than features?

On 9/15/2022 at 5:18 AM, Nohamahmoud2002 said:

Watched episode 5, so the vet recognizes JY. I like the optimism and positivity of JY.

She is so very cheerful! Hahahha also I feel like she's just very obviously crushing on ML :laugh:

• Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 1

10 hours ago, JenL said:

Hahaha For the one of the first times ever, I don't have second lead syndrome and I'm fully backing the main lead (cc: @mademoiselle and @Tofu)  :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Is it just me, or does he look realllllllllly young? Like I feel like he could be FL's young brother 

It can't be first time coz that means you have SLS while watching your own Oppa's dramas (e.g. LJW's dramas). The second male lead in this drama is not very likable so I wouldn't think anyone would support him over male lead, would it? xD

Who looks young? Second lead or male lead? Both of them (1999) are younger than Joy (1996)

P.S. Second male lead was in The Witch's Diner?! I have no memory of him!

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1
18 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

It can't be first time coz that means you have SLS while watching your own Oppa's dramas (e.g. LJW's dramas). The second male lead in this drama is not very likable so I wouldn't think anyone would support him over male lead, would it? xD

Haha English is a funny language - I didn't say 'for the first time ever' but rather 'for one of the first times ever' which means 'very rarely' rather than literally the first time. Sorry if it confused you :laugh:

Although the SL is not very likeable, you'd be surpriised -- I'm sure there's someone out there who will find him cuter and better than male lead. There's always fans who will see things differently :lol: I think he looks very young. Maybe because he has moe of a baby face than male lead. Like he has very big eyes? I don't remember him from The Witch's Diner either - but then again I only had eyes for Chae Jong Hyeop, so not surprised :idk:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I think it's safe to say no one got SLS @mademoiselle. Since those prone to SLS saying they didn't have it here... (cough : me, JenL, Tofu  😂

@JenLSomehow he only look alike to SKJ in blue shirt on the first few episodes. After that he doesn't look similar anymore😅

This drama make me want to go to village and hoping maybe the son of the head of the village will be as yummy as them 🤣 Though maybe I will get bored living there and might will be back to city after that 😂

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, JenL said:

lthough the SL is not very likeable, you'd be surpriised -- I'm sure there's someone out there who will find him cuter and better than male lead. There's always fans who will see things differently :lol:

On the bird app there are definitely some folks with SLS...I saw quite a few posts.

On Naver , they are called the Forever Couple...is it a play on their names @stroppyse?

https://tenasia.hankyung.com/tv-drama/article/2022091987094

p1065568725908049_131_thum.jpg

• Like 3
  • Awesome 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  -  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - 

Thanks for the explanation @stroppyse

I was gonna say how happy I am with the progress of the leads in the last few episodes. Even when they brought in ex, it was fine since it made him realise & express his feelings. Then the last few seconds annoyed the heck out of me. Can the ex just go back to Seoul?

-----------

Love their unintended beach date

FdMStQMaEAAGMxp?format=jpg&name=900x900

• Like 3

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  -  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - 

On 9/19/2022 at 1:11 PM, SilverMoonTea said:

Since those prone to SLS saying they didn't have it here... (cough : me, JenL, Tofu  😂

You forgot about me lols, in revenge drama I always suffer from SLS

Watched episode 7, I just fell in love with the rabbit 😊

I liked the boy and girl pickering, they are too young for this lol.

Edited by Nohamahmoud2002
  • Haha 5

Kind of random, but am I the only one bothered by the lipstick on the ML? I think it's too pigmented in scenes it shouldn't be....are they getting sponsored by a cosmetic brand? :thinking:

I can't ship these two in real life because I think Joy is still dating Crush and they are adorable together. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
5 hours ago, Tofu said:

I can't ship these two in real life because I think Joy is still dating Crush and they are adorable together. 

No idea who Crush is, so I'm fine with shipping the ML and FL of this drama!

On the other hand, I was really disappointed by episode 9 and the preview for episode 10. I'm really not fine with forcing your unwanted physicality on another person as the ex-gf did. She knows he doesn't want her any more, but she doesn't care. Doesn't that mean that she actually doesn't really care about him either? It's really just all about what she wants?

The preview was disappointing if it's not trolling since it seems that JYoung is going to decide to date 2nd ML out of her disappointment with seeing the ML and his ex-gf? I mean, both the vet and the ex-gf told JYoung that the vet isn't interested in the ex-gf, so what is up with that stupid decision to date the 2nd ML? It's almost as if she's decided that the ex-gf is right and should get the vet back just because she wants him, just as the peach guy should get JYoung because he wants her regardless of whether she wants him back or not?

Ugh. This is almost like a senseless middle school or high school romance at that point. I get it that they're trying to introduce "dramatic" tension in the penultimate week, but blech.

• Like 3
11 hours ago, stroppyse said:

No idea who Crush is, so I'm fine with shipping the ML and FL of this drama!

Crush is a singer, probably best known for the OST "Beautiful" from Goblin. He's going to have a new song out featuring J-Hope soon. 

I agreed with everyone on that old trope. I was annoyed when I watched it. The ML was so good about his boundaries with everyone in the early stages but with the ex-girlfriend, he just let's her do whatever she wants? :PikachuFacePalm:

• Like 4
4 hours ago, Tofu said:

The ML was so good about his boundaries with everyone in the early stages but with the ex-girlfriend, he just let's her do whatever she wants? 

Actually, I thought the ML's explanation of that wasn't unreasonable. He explained how the ex-gf was someone who couldn't be stopped by anyone once she decided on something, so he was waiting for her to come to the realization herself that their relationship was not only truly over, but that it can't be resuscitated again. I felt that he did reject her overtures without being mean about it. However, he still underestimated the ex-gf's determination in terms of her physically attacking him and was caught by surprise.

Anyway, still agree that it's a tired trope of the aggro ex-gf. Though I'm still hoping that JYoung doesn't actually decide to date the peach farmer just because she's feeling unsettled by JYul.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, stroppyse said:

Though I'm still hoping that JYoung doesn't actually decide to date the peach farmer just because she's feeling unsettled by JYul.

Maybe she's attracted to his perks, like 'free coffee everyday' ? 🤣

I think JYoung have low self esteem, as she felt inferior compare to those from Seoul. He's very clearly declaring he's a free man. What else to look for? She need to claim that spot. But I also can understand her competitor that is so agressive like Min, she bound to overthink everything. Afterall she only know JiYul in a short time. But I like how JiYul also become very assertive with JaeYoung and try to push to narrow the boundary further. 

Both of them now should learn from Seon Dong, apparently he managed to upgrade the sulky rabbit girl to become his girlfriend 😅

Overall this drama really lovely, actually Joy looks very different here. I can't recognized her if I'm not looking into the cast list. Actually their biggest obstacle is not his ex or her best friend, it's how they're going to settle in the middle to choose to live in city or village. 

• Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

@abs-oluteM My reaction to the ending of that last episode: NOOOOOOOOOOOOO :lettalKWA::lettalKWA::lettalKWA:

Let me just gather my thoughts and write something for this drama since I like it alot and just realised I've barely written anything! 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1