Call It Love 사랑이라 말해요 (2023)

abs-oluteM

Episodes 1-6 

Guys! I'm on episode 6 and I just LOVE Yoon Jun :heart: I was sold in like the first 5 mins when I saw Sung Joon and Lee Sung Kyung appear on screen. This guy has the BEST voice and damn, Yoon Jun is such a funny character with that chill, but deadpan humour.  I'm so glad Sung Joon is back as an actor because it's been such a long break he's taken. (Not that I watched a lot of his dramas admittedly after Shut Up Flower Boy Band :lol:  But hey, I still missed him. Although I really hated the drama Lie to Me, he got me real good as the second lead in that ). I'm up to the part where Yoon Jun brings the brother clothes and admits he was just acting upset when talking to Woo Joo :laugh: I really like Yoon Jun's interactions with all the siblings and wish I had a close friend like him :wow:

At first I didn't think I'd be into this drama, but maybe I'm just in the mood for misery again. because I like how raw everything is in this series. I feel like this sits in that misery-slice-of-life genre like My Liberation Notes, but it's somewhat lighter with the characters being a bit more likeable on the whole (or at least I can see where Woo Joo and her sibling's crazy behaviours come from.) Like the older sister in that series, Hye Sung is super needy and trying to fill a void for love. Also similar is Woo Joo who is as miserable and internally frustrated/ angry as Mi Jeong to begin with :popcorn: I don't blame Woo Joo as it's a really horrible thing her father did and the stepmother is a nasty piece of work...but I find her character to be so overly emotional that it makes me cringe sometimes. Like she presents so hard as cold and abruot, but she doesn't quite think logically about how best to get her stepmother back. Making a scene at a funeral doesn't work unless you can really one-up someone. Also throwing herself in front of a car?! :lettalKWA: Why would you hurt yourself when you can polish yourself up and get revenge :pandaevil:

But the gradual character development is great. I like that the drama shows that there's a fine line between love and hate. And the more she spends time with Dong Jin, the more she comes to see that his life is just as miserable as hers. I find Dong Jin to be more relatable with his people pleasing, self punishing ways (although his behaviour is to the extreme!) and I just love how Kim Young Kwan portrays him. Man, the way his character looks at Woo Joo is something! :wow: His ex-girlfriend is ery annoying though. How shameless can you get coming back expecting to slip into their lives after cheating to the point of almost marriage?! :GengarPout:

• Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 2

Currently watching: Doctor Slump // Queen of Tears // The Impossible Heir

Current Obsessions: ❤ Lee Jae wook // Park Hyung Sik // Yoon Park

Podcast: These Dramatic Days

Yay @JenL I am so glad you're watching this with us. I  love this show so much - possibly my favourite current watch. This show can be such a slow burn ...it has to be or @SilverMoonTea might drop it real fast :lmao2:. But I agree that  the story and character progression is done well . Slowly but steadily we see our assumptions about these characters get thrown out.  And it helps us to view things from a different perspective. 

I did read a lot initial comparisons with My Liberation Notes. MLN was my favourite last year but I feel this show has better pacing. If comparing male leads, DJ's  character here is a lot less mysterious and more relatable .  Mr Gu was not an easy character to understand and he had a lot inner demons to fight. He isn't the average working Joe , so to speak. 

Film making

• Haha 2
  • Clapping Hands 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

My heart  is racing....just leaving these here till I get to watch the entire episode fully. But having seen all of LSK's shows and 90% of KYK's dramas , their chemistry for me is the best.  Works very much for their characters and for this show

I hope @tofu can gif these scenes :smile:

Spoiler

Spoiler

FsYy-UdaUAME9mU?format=jpg&name=large

• Haha 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Party! 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

Things are getting out of woo joo's hands now, and it all becomes very complicated. I feel like on pins and needle fearing that all her secret would be caught by HDJ. Sigh. She keep taking her time way too long to come clean. We still have 4 remaining episodes. Hopefully things will be sorted out really well next week. As if becomes my problems too. Lols. 

Seriously, the root problem of all this is HDJ's mom. I really want her to be out of his life. She's really a bad toxic to anyone's life. The second worst mother role ever after The Glory's wicked moms. 

My fave thing of this episode is DJ had his first happy breakfast moment, he took a picture of the food. I can't imagine what would be his reaction or how would he handle the heartbreak once he found out everything. 

• Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 2

In eps 11 , when the mother met DJ, she clearly liked him and can sense he's a good fella. That is important as that is unbiased judgement. I just hope when the time comes she can see that DJ is his own entity. DJ made it clear to WJ that his mum is his weakness - she is what holds him back all his life. It was revealed too that camping ahjussi was one of mum's ex husband. If there was a silver lining, DJ and him had a genuine father & son bond. It feels like DJ may even love him more than he does his mother.

I agree with Sun Woo that WJ should have cleared things up with DJ even before all this. But I can sense her inner conflict. Her feelings for DJ is too strong for her to ignore. And in some ways, I am glad she gave in to those feelings. For once, she is doing something for herself as opposed to always worrying about everyone around her. 

As to Jun and HS...I still love the idea of them. But in today's episode , I think our noona here first needs to find herself - she needs some self-love that doesn't depend on someone else. She is in love with love and looking for relationships to fill a void in her life. 

2 hours ago, Tofu said:

@abs-oluteM All of these spoilers has everyone like....

Bahahaha....I was so surprised that it would get this far :laugh:

• Like 4
  • Clapping Hands 1

11 hours ago, Alice Wonderland said:

So is it possible for the two to be happy ending? Cuase I dislike sad ending actually. 

I am still holding out for one.  

But subbed preview doesn’t look encouraging 🤪

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

My heart  is racing...

Tell me about it! I got goosebumps when he held her hand in ep.11.... However, I'd be honest that I still sometimes see KYK in his role in Somebody with this current role styling/demeanour. I wish he will style his hair differently. I prefer his old styling in flashback when he was still in the previous relationship.

15 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

As to Jun and HS...I still love the idea of them. But in today's episode , I think our noona here first needs to find herself - she needs some self-love that doesn't depend on someone else. She is in love with love and looking for relationships to fill a void in her life. 

I agree with this. I want to support them, but first she needs to "grow-up". Jun's concern about how awkward their relationship could be was very valid. 

• Like 3
  • Clapping Hands 1

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

I think the preview wants us to think that WJ's mom is going to be disapproving of DJ, but the drama will surprise us (as it has many times) and maybe she won't be too disapproving. WJ told her mom that he's just another child who was dragged into this mess because of his mom just like what happened with the three siblings. 

• Like 3
  • Clapping Hands 2

@abs-oluteM I wonder whether there is a new release drama next week. I wish I could skip next week episodes so I can skip the angts part too. Lols. The preview really looks depressing. 

@SilverMoonTea I don't say I like it like how I like it in the previous week but I guess you start getting bored cuz the main otp already confirmed and even went to the next level, lols. 

Spoiler

I prefer the old school romance between them, kinda old fashioned but that makes the feels more fluttering. 

And you grow more love for the second couple because Jun and HS are not in relationship, they back on friendzoned track. 

@ktcjdrama I like his prev hairstyle too, when he was with MY. He looks younger. But I think they styled him to make him look gloomy and brokenhearted after his past relationship. And it works that way as I see it. Eh, what's with Somebody? I think I didn't watch that since you all reviewed it as "not that good" makes me reluctant just to check it out. The last time I watch him was in Hello, Me! He was so funny and cute in there. My most fave when he has lots of working lisences that enable him to work for every field. 😄

1 hour ago, Tofu said:

I think the preview wants us to think that WJ's mom is going to be disapproving of DJ, but the drama will surprise us (as it has many times) and maybe she won't be too disapproving.

I hope so. But the first reaction might be the rejection then after sometime she will to cope with the disappoinment until to be able to see him as himself without linked him to his shameless mom. 

• Like 3
  • Clapping Hands 1
8 hours ago, Alice Wonderland said:

@SilverMoonTea I don't say I like it like how I like it in the previous week but I guess you start getting bored cuz the main otp already confirmed and even went to the next level, lols. 

Hide contents

I prefer the old school romance between them, kinda old fashioned but that makes the feels more fluttering. 

And you grow more love for the second couple because Jun and HS are not in relationship, they back on friendzoned track. 

Dissapointed on how they go to next level without her clarifying all the misunderstanding first. And for someone without any relationship prior, I found she's going very fast from just only saying like each other to one night stand almost at lightning speed. I just not sure what the rush for? Haha... I mean I know he's hot and all, but...:lmao2:

Jun & HS is cute because they're so comfortable to each other. The couple might not sailing but it's okay. They maybe better as best friend, and it's true that she need to be alone at times rather than having fake social interaction. 

I thought the drama could be in my some top list this year, but I guess not haha... 

• Haha 4

ezgif-com-gif-maker-47.gif

11 hours ago, Tofu said:

I think the preview wants us to think that WJ's mom is going to be disapproving of DJ, but the drama will surprise us (as it has many times) and maybe she won't be too disapproving. WJ told her mom that he's just another child who was dragged into this mess because of his mom just like what happened with the three siblings. 

I have the same feeling too... Her mother seems to be a more rational person actually.

9 hours ago, Alice Wonderland said:

Eh, what's with Somebody? I think I didn't watch that since you all reviewed it as "not that good" makes me reluctant just to check it out. 

I didn't watch the whole thing. But yeah, never mind that. You won't be missing anything, and save your time.

• Haha 3

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

13 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

@abs-oluteM Hae Mi made an appearance!! :laugh:

I saw and I came here to tag you . 
For those wondering, it’s the girl that Jun went on a blind date with. She was a crazy character in the daily drama that @ktcjdrama and I watched . :lmao2:

@Alice Wonderland I don’t recommend Somebody. . He was good in it.  But the plot was going no where 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, SilverMoonTea said:

I thought the drama could be in my some top list this year, but I guess not haha... 

This could be for me too, but looking at they've become and how would they go next is just making me rethink, well let's see how it ends, I dont have much to watch, I drop most of the dramas I watch and only left this one. Hahaha. I'm enjoying varshow for now. 

• Like 4

I think WJ has always been the sort to react to her feelings. When she discovered her father's infidelity, without worrying about the consequences she ran in front of his car and got injured. When her father died, her revenge plan was impromptu and she ended up being sympathetic to DJ and falling for him. In this instance, even if she really should have cleared things up with DJ before things got serious, she once again gave in to her feelings.

Also, I kind of feel bad that she's always the one that holds up the family at the expense of her own happiness. For once, consequences be damned :D , she's doing something for herself. Sometimes the heart wants what it wants. Of course things aren't going to be pretty down the road, so I am curious to see how things are gonna be resolved. I will not be surprised if DJ actually knows who WJ really is. Even if it isn't the case, he can see her sincerity.

At times like that I wish this is a makjang family drama where DJ finds out that his mum is not really his mum after all, and he can just cut her off from his life. She really is his greatest liability. With a mother like this , who needs enemies. :zzzz:

• Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 1

On 3/31/2023 at 12:10 PM, ktcjdrama said:

I didn't watch the whole thing. But yeah, never mind that. You won't be missing anything, and save your time.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA are you sure she isn't missing anything like...

Spoiler

his bare behind :MewGiggle:

You know, if I were Dong Jin, I would wonder if she regretted it or backing out because she was acting so cold etc after their happy hour. Hahahahaha!

On 3/31/2023 at 11:05 AM, SilverMoonTea said:

Dissapointed on how they go to next level without her clarifying all the misunderstanding first. And for someone without any relationship prior, I found she's going very fast from just only saying like each other to one night stand almost at lightning speed. I just not sure what the rush for? Haha... I mean I know he's hot and all, but...

LOL the moment I saw the bed scene, my head was flashing red alert *uh-oh, danger of being dropped by uri Tea*

Her procrastination is dragging out too long. Though it's understandable it's because she really wants to be with him and not think of other things. Also there's a lack of courage. But agree with you, it's not fair to Dong Jin for pouring his heart out (and be honest with her) and slept with her then only to find out later about all of this. I can only hope after knowing the truth and calm down to think he would remember their first night is her first night. That's important detail from her side, a person like Woo Joo.

• Haha 2
  • Clapping Hands 1
3 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA are you sure she isn't missing anything like...

Ooops.... which episode was that? Yeah, can watch till then, but that was also the point I started to lose interest because it was just beyond me how the girl would go meet a blind date like that :laugh:

7 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

You know, if I were Dong Jin, I would wonder if she regretted it or backing out because she was acting so cold etc after their happy hour. Hahahahaha!

Well, she cooked him a full breakfast :thinking: He probably thought she was shy... and wasn't her aloofness one of the things he likes about her? 

• Haha 2
  • Heart Eyes 1

MTDzeiV.gif

Episode 13 was really good. The cat is finally out of the bag. In a way I am kind of glad. Now everyone knew. The above still shot was from the last scene where Woo Joo told Dong Jin the truth in front of their house. Dong Jin takes it all in calmly and felt sad for her and shed a tear, and gave her a comforting hug. Love it because it's what she needed.

I'm not so sure whether what Hae Song did - telling their mum the truth - was the right thing to do but I believe she did it so that as a family they could support Woo Joo. I love the bit Yoon Joon said about he pitied Woo Joo since they were 17, that she finally found someone she loved and it turned out to be someone she shouldn't fall for. I do believe this is why Hae Song took matters into her own hand and told their mother. The person the kids need/rely on and she is also the person that need to give her blessing to for Woo Joo and Dong Jin's sake.

I'm glad that Dong Jin's friend tells him about Woo Joo this time because he chose not to tell Dong Jin about the ex returning. So this time, it feels like he gets a chance to not repeat the same mistake. And it is right that the rest is for Dong Jin himself to decide.

• Clapping Hands 2

Ending of ep.13 had me in tears... Not that kind of sad tears, don't worry... It's just great to see that Dong Jin has grown and can now view things more positively and be an encouragement to Woo Joo instead... I was crying along with Woo Joo this episode whenever she cried. The part where HS slapped her and she just stood there with tears streaming down... :cry: I like how HS was explaining to their mother about the confrontation she had with Woo Joo. I like that we're shown the characters being pensive with each new revelations they discovered.

The beginning of ep.14 had me in tears too... Now it's the sad tears... I know it's difficult, but I hope these two can overcome all the challenges and be together with approval from Woo Joo's family.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

MTDzeiV.gif