Can We Be Strangers? 남이 될 수 있을까? (2023)

abs-oluteM

Eps 3 spoiler ….as expected:

But he better have an ultra good reason for this…..even if it’s some sort of noble idiocy, it’s such a terrible thing to do 

Spoiler

And if she took on the case out of pure revenge, then a child’s welfare will really be at stake 

Spoiler

• Like 2

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: The Impossible Heir - Fri-Sat:  -  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - In Blossom, Guess Who I Am

I'm really entertained by this drama. I also like that they aren't over each other so it's likely they are going to find their way back to each other again. The flashback of how they started dating was cute.

The only issue I have is I wish Ha Ra isn't so emotional when it comes to Eun Beom. She purposely took on this case to go against Eun Beom; she let her emotions took charge and behaved unprofessionally throughout. I really wish as the FL, she hadn't/wouldn't do that. Sigh.

Now I'm just looking forward to seeing Eun Beom suffer, as in, brood and regret when he realise he wants her back. I didn't say "wait till he realise he still love her" because it's quite obvious that he knows he does. We just need to wait patiently for the show to tell us the reason. And I wonder if he was a good husband before deciding to divorce her.

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

@Rina @mademoiselle I am still very much enjoying the drama. It is truly entertaining. I do read on twitter criticisms about both lead's characters or rather choices, but I just look at it as two flawed individuals who are still in love with each other. So in that sense I still root for them to be reunited though his reason for divorce had better be good.  If she was RL friend , I'd probably discourage her from getting back together with him as he did break her heart in the worst possible way even though he didn't cheat on her. Why couldn't he have discussed whatever problems he had instead of putting on this whole charade? But because this is drama & the leads are clearly not over each other, I would say give him a second chance.  Plus,  Jang Seung Jo is so handsome :laugh:

Ep 4 preview

OST 1

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: The Impossible Heir - Fri-Sat:  -  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - In Blossom, Guess Who I Am

I'm so confused. Who is Eun Byeol? Sounds to me like he lost a child, and it doesn't seem like it is a baby with Ha Ra...?

And, is it really true that he wants out because of their differences? Understandable that it can become a problem when one side is always the one accommodating the other but it seems unreasonable and unfair not to talk it out first.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

'm so confused. Who is Eun Byeol? Sounds to me like he lost a child, and it doesn't seem like it is a baby with Ha Ra...?

But haven't they been dating since college? Don't tell me he had a baby before that ? Shocks.

Could it be his sister? 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Shocked 1

@Rina I think when she mentioned Eun Byeol, it affected him more than her so going by that I don't think she and him had a child. Plus... see below.

@abs-oluteM I rule out his nephew because she mentioned Eun Byeol would have been Da Wool's age. His nephew look a lot older when there was a flashback about him seeing how worn out his sister was taking care of his nephew.

14 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

Could it be his sister? 

Do you mean like a youngest sister? As in his parents got lovey dovey and had a unplanned child at an old age? I definitely entertained this idea because both has names of "Eun".

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1
21 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

Just started this drama. Great pilot episode. Enjoy seeing JSJ in this fun role. I am hooked. Will keep watching. 

Yay...but so you know that you must managed your expectations about the characters here. They are all very flawed characters and this so called rom-com is not exactly following the usual tropes. I do love that we see a very different & realistic side to love and marriage. Plus JSJ is just great in any character he plays. :duckhearts:

• Like 3

3 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:
4 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

Yay...but so you know that you must managed your expectations about the characters here. They are all very flawed characters and this so called rom-com is not exactly following the usual tropes.

I love all the characters so far. The colleagues are interesting and I look forward to getting to know them more. Finished ep.2 tonight. I like that for each of the divorce case presented, there are food for thoughts for our leads, and us viewers too. So yeah, enjoying this unusual storytelling of divorce lawyers. And, I also like their stylish grayish tone office 😃

• Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 1

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Kidnapping // Dog Day // Lovers // Vote

I was a bit nervous about starting this one after reading so many negative comments online but I thought... what the heck, it's Jang Seung-jo.

Surprise, surprise. I found myself enjoying the first episode -- the show turned out to be much better than I expected. And it also has all kinds of interesting things to say about marriage and the breakdown of marriages. 

I for one never believed that Eun-beom cheated on Ha-ra. The fact that he's still single speaks volumes in that regard. So why is he pushing his hoobae to date her despite still having feelings for her? It must have something to do with her wanting kids and him not wanting to or being able to. 

Episode 3 was probably the most frustrating episode to watch but without it, we wouldn't have gotten Episode 4 which was probably the culmination of what the writer was trying to do with these characters.

• Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 1

Currently Watching: Queen of Tears, In Blossom

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

On 2/2/2023 at 9:01 AM, 40somethingahjumma said:

Episode 3 was probably the most frustrating episode to watch but without it, we wouldn't have gotten Episode 4 which was probably the culmination of what the writer was trying to do with these characters.

Have you been able to watch eps 5 & 6 yet?  It was good too . Though there was  less focus on the leads, HR's father's infidelity and the case handled by the other two definitely gave some pause for thought. 

--------------------

I think why some viewers may struggle with this show is because it was sold like a typical rom-com, and the audience expects certain tropes and character traits from the leads. For me , this show is really about marriages & relationships. About how complex they can be , and how much effort one needs to put in to keep things going. 

What is it that makes relationships last? At the heart of it , I think love is essential. The one reason I cannot ship Hara with the hoobae is because there's no affection & love on her part for him. He seems like a nice guy - sweet & sensitive. He likes her ( and now says he loves her) but  it is clear she doesn't feel the same way ( even though she is attracted to him and is trying to give the relationship a chance.) 

But love itself is insufficient as demonstrated by the breakdown between the leads' marriage. Communicating and coming to a middle ground  are just as important. In the flashbacks, we witness a "suffocated" EB who found it difficult to express how frustrated he was when his own needs came second to hers. So much so that he resorted to such a crazy production to break free from the marriage. Why did he not tell HR? I know a lot of people says he's a jerk for putting her through that and that he should have voiced it out, but communication requires the other party to pay attention & listen too. It is a two-way street. Though I still think there's more to why he wanted the divorce ( think it's linked to his views on having children) , this marriage may have been a lot healthier and less lopsided if both had been able to honestly said what they felt without being brushed off all the time by the other person. 

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Clapping Hands 1