Can We Be Strangers? 남이 될 수 있을까? (2023)

abs-oluteM

5 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

Still not able to watch this week's episode. The good subs come out rather late on this one. The ones available are bad... seems like machine generated subs.

I have watched eps 9. Seems okay.

------------------

Ep 9

Just a quick comment about the direction of the show. Having accepted that this isn't a typical rom-com, and that it isn't going to glaze over the real issues that make or break a marriage (or a relationship ), I find that there's a lot of substance in the plot. As much as I swooned over their passionate scenes,  I am happy that they quickly  brought up the reason for their irreconcilable difference. As I mentioned before ( and as it has been hinted throughout the episodes), it is about having children. This is an issue that is not easy to resolve. I am not even sure if you can come to a middle ground since the decision either way ( to have or not to have children) would be a zero sum game. One party will have some form of resentment later on if they gave in at the spur of the moment because they wanted the relationship to work.

So is there really no hope for them? Before we can even address that, I think I am more curious to whether the decision by Eun Bum not to have children is purely because he doesn't like kids or that his past trauma ( his sister's death , his parents etc) makes him think that he shouldn't have kids. And In HR's case, I feel that she doesn't quite realise that having children should not be  because they are cute. (They aren't so cute when they drive you up the wall :laugh:) . I feel like her desire to be a mother stems a lot more from the expectations her own mother has put on her.  Until these things are addressed, then we can see if their reunion would work or is doomed. 

• Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  -  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - 

The last scene of episode 10, could Eun Beom have misunderstood Hara's conversation with her mother?

As for the to have or not to have a baby, the topic felt nostalgic as it had been touched on in Search WWW. The topic was food for thought for everyone but there's no real answer in the finale of the drama. I think this does continue to be an issue for two people in love with one another who couldn't compromise, so I'm not so sure Eun Beom and Hara will be able to reach an agreement to this.

The trauma and pain aside, I do understand Eun Beom's choice of not having a baby. He wanted to be able to relax and rest when he finished work but during their marriage, he was the one doing the house chores and clean up after Hara. He couldn't get the rest time he wanted. Imagine if they have a baby...

As for Hara, baby is only cute when they belong to someone else :laugh:. Some women just know they wanted to be a mother though (as I have met one irl) so I don't know what type Hara is, and most importantly, can she sacrifice her career for the child? Not saying she must, but her career will definitely be put on hold because of the baby.

What do you guys think about the loveline between Si Wook and Bi Chwi?

I felt a little sympathetic towards Kwon Si Wook. Mainly because we knew he got a crush on Bi Chwi, was sincere and serious with her in their relationship but she wasn't and quite brutal with him. Even after finding out she's pregnant with his baby (which he wants to keep), he respected her decision. He's a good person. I'm not sure how I feel about Bi Chwi. There's a big part of me that thinks it's her body so the decision lies with her whether or not she wants to keep or abort. But then when I see Si Wook, it feels wrong to leave him out of this. LOL.

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 2
On 2/17/2023 at 7:52 PM, mademoiselle said:

What do you guys think about the loveline between Si Wook and Bi Chwi?

I felt a little sympathetic towards Kwon Si Wook. Mainly because we knew he got a crush on Bi Chwi, was sincere and serious with her in their relationship but she wasn't and quite brutal with him. Even after finding out she's pregnant with his baby (which he wants to keep), he respected her decision. He's a good person. I'm not sure how I feel about Bi Chwi. There's a big part of me that thinks it's her body so the decision lies with her whether or not she wants to keep or abort. But then when I see Si Wook, it feels wrong to leave him out of this. LOL.

I wanted to ask you guys too. I like Si Wook but I find her unbearable. Not so much about  her free spirit way of life but I find her harsh and abrasive as a person. So I don't actually want Si Wook to marry her :laugh:. He's such a sweet man that he will suffer. But to be fair, even if it is her life ( and her body) , he is also the father of the child and she should at least have told him. 

Edit : After eps 10 - woah...he moved her so much that she is willing to marry him. But he's giving too much though. It would be frustrating later on for him.

• Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  -  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - 

Is this really the end for the leads? EB most likely misunderstood HR. I don't think she was referring to him when talking to her mother. But therein lies the problem. Instead of asking her about it, he makes a one sided decision to break-up again. However despite the ending , I felt that they made some progress in episode 10. 

If anything he finally poured his heart out after that whole episode with his mother. This was something he should have done much earlier in their relationship before the divorce. Perhaps then their marriage would have survived.  Anyhow I am glad  HR finally discovers why EB is so opposed to having children. The trauma of losing his sister and being blamed for it all his life is not something that you can just get over with. He was forced to be an adult way before his time. And his mother in her struggles as a single mum, set the worst sort of example of how parenting should be. There are no perfect parents but I think a lot of healing and forgiving needs to take place between mother and son before EB and HR can even talk about having children. 

(For the record, I did not like HR and his mother scheming to get him to agree to having a baby. But at least HR was apologetic and came clean. )

• Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 1

I don't quite understand why the husband being beaten up in the divorce case was jaw-breaking. I kind of think he deserve some beating up for telling her not to meet someone else! He was the one who wanted divorce and abandon their child.

Ok, what is with next week's preview where the CEO/Director (whatever he is in English) asking Ha Ra to leave?! Why she is the one that was asked to go instead of Eun Beom, who wanted to leave anyway..?

The main OTP gotten a bit annoying for me in this episode. This time more I'm annoyed with Eun Beom than Hara because he was the one who wants out (for the Nth time) and then acted like he's being harassed every night, but the moment Hara really decide to let him go, he wavers (again). :PikachuFacePalm: I know. I know. Relationship is not easy and it's normal for us to go back and forth with our decision but watching it in drama feels different.

• Clapping Hands 2

It's a bittersweet ending... but all right with me. A unique piece of drama that doesn't follow the usual trope. Some frustrating moments, but very real of people. I love the cases, even though they're not the main focus, but somehow they fit in directly with what our leads are going through and serve the narration well. 

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

I lost interest but let the show play till the end and then wonder why there was no next episode's preview. Belatedly realise this is the end! Ahem. 😅 To me, it's an open ending. Their story potentially hasn't quite ended since Eun Beom is seeking help so there may still be some turnaround later. I'm not particularly invested with this OTP, so I'm not fussed they did or did not get back together. That "caring" train has left for me in earlier episodes.

• Haha 3

Eun Beom and Ha Ra, is this the end?

Hope these working parents can have opportunities to get casted in future dramas, maybe working together again. :laugh:

Edited by Rina
  • Heart Eyes 1

Hope...

Sometimes that's all you have when you have nothing else.

• 2 weeks later...