Reasons to Cheer: a Drama Round-up!

stroppyse

4 hours ago, stroppyse said:

Discussion item #5

A new actor/actress you came to love in 2022

1. Park Solomon

I knew him quite way before 2022, but just in Revenge of Others he really hits me. I like his acting and of course he's also handsome hahaha, dont get me wrong, his acting went first than hia face. I mean it. 

I will add more when I encounter another one. 😆

• Like 9
  • Heart Eyes 1

Wow this thread moved so fast. I am most amused by @liddi and @ssteph's "list" if you can call it that lol. That used to be mine pre-covid. Now I need to find a directory of 2022 dramas aired just to answer these questions 😭

On 12/2/2022 at 1:54 PM, stroppyse said:

Time for prompt #2!

A couple you wished ended up together?

I don't usually watch the romantic ones. The last one would be the traumatic Start-Up 🥶

Can I say which couple I wished DIDN'T end up together?

That would be the 2 leads in WHY Her. Totally spoilt the drama. So sad, since it started so well.

On 12/4/2022 at 6:13 AM, stroppyse said:

Prompt #3

A drama you lost sleep from staying up to watch it

I lie on the bed, switch on Netflix, and suddenly it is morning 😂

Think it may be Love from the Galaxy, which I binged.

On 12/4/2022 at 1:27 PM, stroppyse said:

Question #4

A drama that disappointed you

I would define this as having great expectations and really looking forward to the release.

The answer would be none hahaha. My expectations are highly managed.

There were a few pleasant surprises though, which were in my fantastic list earlier.

On 12/4/2022 at 2:11 PM, mademoiselle said:

Not sure what the odds are for him to win two Daesang (drama and movie) because his performance in Remember was really good too.

I saw your notif in the movie thread. Will check this out.

I've just finished Shadow Detective. Quite good too and there is a season 2 with Kim Shin Rok! And you can see here, his complexion is really nice 😂 (oops just checked his age, he's not that old! 😱😅)

Apart from the fantastic writing, I think Lee Sung Min is carrying Reborn Rich too. At least, it would be a very different watch if it had been another actor.

5 hours ago, stroppyse said:

Discussion item #5

Hmmm, how to get out of the trap by @mademoiselle...

I would say "LOVE" means I would search to find out more about the actor/actress, watch the older dramas/movies and must catch the new upcoming ones.

That would make the number - 0 hahahah.

But "LIKE" enough to want to check out their old/new work:

- Ji Sung - after Devil Judge, I watched some of his older dramas but sadly Adamas bombed.

- Wu Lei - because I did try The Long Ballad after Love from the Galaxy, but stopped at ep 5. (rats, I just made @mademoiselle and @Tofu happy)

- Lee Sung Min

- Kim Hye Soo

Seo Hyun-Jin

Edited by Chocolate
  • Like 2
  • Haha 8
5 hours ago, stroppyse said:

Discussion item #5

2022 is the year I fell in love with Wi Ha-joon. I'd seen him in 18 Again, Squid Game as well as Bad and Crazy. But for some reason his turn as Choi Do-il seemed to raise the temperature in every room he was in. He was oozing with sex appeal and in all honesty, made Little Women far more palatable than it would have been. Ironically the best character in Little Women turned out to be a man.

The number of FMV that I've watched for his sake no doubt qualifies me to use the word "love".

Honorable Mentions...

The great and wonderful Lee Sung-min -- a tour de force in Shadow Detective and Reborn Rich

The lad from Under the Queen's Umbrella -- Prince Seongnam. What lovely sonorous vocals.

Someone else also mentioned Wu Lei who was fantastic in Love Like the Galaxy. 

I've been in love with Son Suk-koo since Designated Survivor: 60 Days where he stole every scene he was in.

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

Currently Watching: Queen of Tears, In Blossom

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

Oh, thankfully I can answer Q5!

5. A new actor / actress you came to love in 2022

That would have to be Kim Nam Gil. I know, I know I've been living under a colossal rock, but I never watched any of his works until Through the Darkness, after which I am now a fan - love the subtlety that speaks volumes which he delivers effortlessly, and the quiet intensity of Song Hayoung that he brings to life.

By the same token, can I also add Jin Sun-kyu to the list? I've known him since he played a smirking villain in 3Days back in 2014, and he has continued to impress in different roles since then, but never more so than his brilliant portrayal of Kook Youngsoo who is the perfect fodder to Song Hayoung's reticence, the breath of fresh air in a drama that is predominantly oppressive. Bravo.

• Like 6
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 1
  • Party! 1

Signal, Thank You, Missing:The Other Side, Children of Nobody, Misaeng, Tree with Deep Roots, Story of a Man

步步惊心, 长相思, 琅琊榜之风起长林, 平凡的荣耀, 大鱼海棠, 九州缥缈录, 风声, 剑雨

Ice Kacang Puppy Love, Garden of Evening Mists

Mother, 空から降る一億の星, Ouroboros

On 12/4/2022 at 12:27 PM, stroppyse said:

I missed on this one, I was looking at #4 since I quote #5 already.

1. Alchemy of Souls

2. Cheese In The Trap

2. A thousand Years

3. Yumi's Cell season 1 and 2. I shouldnt watch unless it's the final season. That way I wont be too disappointed. 

4. May I help You. In my previous post I planned to finish this but now I'd likely to drop this one as well, ah, I like LJY really but the story is getting so boring and annoying now. Opps, sorry a bit rant here. 

5. Hwayugi, solely hating the ending. I keep hypnotizing my mind to leave out the ending part.

• Like 6
  • Party! 3

You guys are so funny about love/like. :laugh:

Prompt #4 - I don't know if it was my most disappointed drama, but one drama I was disappointed with was Bulgasal. It had lots of potential and just never got there. Lee Joon was amazing and they wasted his character/appearance. 

However, the drama ending that disappointed me the most was Poong. WHY?! :letalQQ:

Prompt #5 - I don't know, maybe Merugo Ren? He probably surprised me the most. I didn't think his acting would be that natural. 

@mademoiselle @Chocolate I was thinking I better see Wu Lei on both of yours. Hahaha! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

Alright, a change of pace for question 6.

A character who made you laugh

So, we're talking about a character who made you laugh out loud, even better if it made others turn and look to see what was so funny!

The one who came immediately to my mind is Jung Myeong Seok (Kang Ki Young) in 'Extraordinary Attorney Woo'. JMS was actually a fairly well rounded character in terms of drama and comedy, but he did make me just laugh out loud a couple of times. I put it down to the skill of the actor!

18 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

I've been in love with Son Suk-koo since Designated Survivor: 60 Days where he stole every scene he was in.

So good that you mention him in Designated Survivor. The first time I watched this, I think I had just finished the US version of the drama, and so I'm not sure what I was expecting, but it didn't really have my full attention when I was watching the K version. I liked SSG's character but I didn't really take note of him that much.

After MLD, I went back and rewatched DS, this time without any comparisons to hinder me and giving it my full attention, and I loved the drama and SSG so much more.

• Like 5
  • Clapping Hands 4
21 hours ago, Chocolate said:

Hmmm, how to get out of the trap by @mademoiselle...

I would say "LOVE" means I would search to find out more about the actor/actress, watch the older dramas/movies and must catch the new upcoming ones.

That would make the number - 0 hahahah.

But "LIKE" enough to want to check out their old/new work:

- Ji Sung - after Devil Judge, I watched some of his older dramas but sadly Adamas bombed.

- Wu Lei - because I did try The Long Ballad after Love from the Galaxy, but stopped at ep 5. (rats, I just made @mademoiselle and @Tofu happy)

- Lee Sung Min

- Kim Hye Soo

Seo Hyun-Jin

I think Ji Sung falls under "LOVE" for you because he matches all your love criterias. You watched his older dramas and loved "Secret Love" and "Kill Me, Heal Me". You tried "Dr. John" too. You did Google about him and shared his wedding photos with Lee Bo Young and you did watch his new drama and completed Adamas.

3 hours ago, Tofu said:

However, the drama ending that disappointed me the most was Poong. WHY?!

Poong hasn't technically ended yet though 😁

3 hours ago, Tofu said:

@mademoiselle @Chocolate I was thinking I better see Wu Lei on both of yours. Hahaha! 

Hahahahaha! He is in danger of being a "One hit wonder" if his next drama didn't do well with me like Yang Yang's.

Will you watch this @stroppyse?

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 4
  • Haha 4

Sh**ting Stars - it was a combination of scenarios and characters for this one. The most memorable for me was when Lee Sung Kyung's character tripped and slided towards Kim Young Dae with the Titanic's "My Heart Will Go On" as BGM.

:lmao2:

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Party! 1
32 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

A lot

1. Choi Woong (Choi Woo Shik) in Our Beloved Summer

2. Eun Dan Oh (Kim Hye Yoon) in Extraordinary You

3. Mudeok (Jung So min) in Alchemy of Souls

4. Lee Kwang Soo feat Yoo Jae suk in Running Man

5. Lee Seung Gi feat Jesper Liu in Twogether

6. Quartet Squad (LSG, YSY, YSJ and LSY) in Master In The House early season

I will add more if I remember more, but these are the ones who can make me laugh happily. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 1
  • Party! 1
2 hours ago, stroppyse said:

Alright, a change of pace for question 6.

Surprisingly I found Cafe Minamdang quite funny. I'm not usually a slapstick sort of person. But there were many laugh out loud moments. Both Seo In-guk and Kwak Si-yang were hilarious especially during their double act. The show had its flaws (OYS' character mainly) but it had its moments too. I did not have high expectations for this one but still had some fun with it. The running gag with Seo In-guk's mother was a hoot. 

Kim Hye-soo's Queen is quite funny during the takyeon trying to stop the other mothers from cheating.

Xu Kai's character Yang Hua in She and Her Perfect Husband is so funny with his anti-social ways. The way he subverts the social expectations of others is always fun.

Zhao Lusi's Niao Niao from Love Like the Galaxy gave me plenty of laughs in those early days.

The banter in May It Please the Court between the leads was pretty good. Especially the marriage talk. 

The antics of the male leads in Strange Tales of Tang Dynasty were funny too. 

The team dynamic in The Good Detective S2 especially with regards to the running gag about Ji-hyeok (Jang Seung-jo)'s wealth and good looks.

@TofuI found Bulgasa a bit disappointing as well. The only episode I really liked was the first one. It was very draggy as a whole. I finished it because my daughter wanted to.

Edited by 40somethingahjumma
  • Like 5
  • Clapping Hands 2

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

On 12/4/2022 at 6:27 AM, stroppyse said:

Question #4

Bloody Heart

The Law Cafe

Good Job

Love in Contract

Cheer Up

On 12/5/2022 at 6:49 AM, stroppyse said:

Discussion item #5

-Park Solomon..    :heart:

- Kang Young Seok - Insider

- Hwang Min Hyun

Ha Joon - Missing the Other Side

Photos] New Stills Added for the Korean Drama 'Missing: The Other Side' @  HanCinema

- Moon Sang Min     

Christmas eve shoppers enjoy last minute tradition in-person

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Star Struck 1

Q6. A character who made you laugh

I don't think there is much to laugh over in the two (3 if you count Link Click) series I watched this year... so reaching back to past years... it will have to be the rag-tag ensemble team of Seobu Penitentiary (especially Looney) from Prison Playbook, where pretty much every single episode has me chuckling if not in stitches. My only gripe is still how Looney's arc played out... which hits even harder because I adore his character so much.

Prison Playbook cast

cr. kdramadiary.com

• Like 4
  • Clapping Hands 4

Signal, Thank You, Missing:The Other Side, Children of Nobody, Misaeng, Tree with Deep Roots, Story of a Man

10 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

Surprisingly I found Cafe Minamdang quite funny.

Good point. Because I was disappointed with the drama as a whole, I had forgotten how funny some of their gags are. Hiding the shamanism from SIG's mom because she's a devout Christian who would be really upset was hysterical. Even more so because my mother is also devout and she would flip if any of her children were to turn to shamanism.

10 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

The team dynamic in The Good Detective S2 especially with regards to the running gag about Ji-hyeok (Jang Seung-jo)'s wealth and good looks.

That was good! For instance, the scene where the team takes Oh Ji Hyuk's credit card to get baths and breakfast, and they ask what his card limit is, to which he replies "Card limit? Is there such a thing? I just never heard of card limits before." while they all look at him in disgust had me cracking up. Not to mention, when Kang Do Chang responds to the commander's orders to cease his investigation how he KDC would fall into line, but OJH doesn't even know or care about his salary and would probably continue to pursue the investigation.

4 hours ago, liddi said:

My only gripe is still how Looney's arc played out... which hits even harder because I adore his character so much.

Oh, this was so sad! Looney the lovable jokester and clown meets his tragic ending without a single joke.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Clapping Hands 3

I think if we're not talking about just 2022 drama, another came to mind would be Mr. Queen by Shin Hye Sun. Court lady Choi looking at abs through the kaleidoscope and Joseon No.1 woman with no bra were pretty hilarious.

The "no touch" reference. The concubines trying to teach the Queen's sex, right @Chocolate? You have all the cuts.

Oh, and this!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Question 7 - Both strong emotions, such a thin line sometimes between love and hate...

A character who made you want to throw things

Just started 'Under the Queen's Umbrella', and already, the lying, manipulative Queen Mother (Kim Hae Sook) has strong potential for making me want to throw something. As much as I loved the actress as the female lead's mother in "I Can Hear Your Voice', I think I really loathe her character in 'UtQU'.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Haha 2
  • Clapping Hands 3

Revenge of Others

Revenge_of_Others-Chae_Sang_Woo.jpgRevenge_of_Others-Lee_Soo-Min.jpgRevenge_of_Others-Jin_Ho-Eun.jpg

Out of the 2022 dramas I'd say these 3.

If not 2022 dramas, then it'd be (and still be):

1. The FL in Something in the Rain

2. The FL's mother in Something in the Rain

3. That guy who always play a jerk in Taxi Driver (CEO of the company) and Happiness (Doctor)

4. The second FL in She Would Never Know

... the list could go on so I'll stop here.

• Haha 7

7. A character that made you want to throw things

Hmm... that's kind of a tough one because while I could say all the killers in Through the Darkness, I feel that my reaction towards them is more of horror rather than frustration.

In that case, I will once again have to reach back one year to "Reflection of You" and give Seo Woojae the dubious honour of being that character, even more so than Jung Heejoo and the rest of the unlikeable characters in the drama, which is saying a lot :shocked2:

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I'm behind with this lols , sorry @mademoiselleforgot to reply you too....

JH-Drama-2022-07.png

#2 I felt like I don't have much strong shipping, or the couple that I like did already end up together.

#3 1000 Years for You, Immortal Samsara, Master of My Own did make me a bit excited and was waiting for it sometimes even until in the late night. All of these Chinese dramas this year had been more fun than the Korean's counterpart. Either I already watched to many K dramas or they just start to losing the steam by using repetitive storyline. 

#4 Drama that dissapoint you. Good Job - Yuri and Ilwoo drama. It was so cheesy and lame until I can't take it. Sorry if you do enjoy this. It make the Bossam's couple lose the appeal for me. 

#5 New actor / actress I love? Love hmm yes such a strong word 😅 I do enjoyed Nam Yoon Su and Bai Yu. They are actors I don't know previously, the rest I think are not new for me. 

#6 I have good laugh with the introduction of Dae Bum in Summer Strike when the FL found out that he actually can speak 🤣 @Tofu. I think Im Si Wan is just so talented, he make the character so likeable and loveable and I even found his odd hairstyle looks cute 😅

#7 Annoying character? Kudos to Yeo Rum from Love is A Sucker. What a turn off with the way she treat her supposedly best friend. But maybe love is always ruining everything between man & woman :lol:

Give me more @stroppyse, I finally finished this tasks, sorry for being late :smile:

• Haha 6

ezgif-com-gif-maker-47.gif

6 hours ago, stroppyse said:

Just started 'Under the Queen's Umbrella', and already, the lying, manipulative Queen Mother (Kim Hae Sook) has strong potential for making me want to throw something. As much as I loved the actress as the female lead's mother in "I Can Hear Your Voice', I think I really loathe her character in 'UtQU'.

The Queen Dowager almost made me stop watching the show. But I'm glad I persisted. 

Jae-hee from Cafe Minamdang is a character that I really wanted to reach into the screen and throttle. I swear she was written purely to put a breaks on the plot. I'm not sure how she got this far in the police organization. How is she even a detective? 

Oh In-joo (Little Women) when she thought it was a good idea to bring the blue orchid into her room for some aromatherapy. Also why did she bring a grenade to a fight?

Oh yes, I want to throw things at the director/writer for the terrible last two episodes of Little Women as well.

Blind. Let me count how many... Hmm... I think the question should be: who didn't I want to throw things at. Sung-joon was probably the worst. He had a knack for being in the right place at the wrong time. Again probably written in those early days to put the breaks on the plot.

I guess I'm one of the few people on the planet that didn't love A Business Proposal. I didn't like the best friend at all. I pity the poor guy who fell for her. 

Edited by 40somethingahjumma
  • Insightful 1
  • Haha 5