Reasons to Cheer: a Drama Round-up!

stroppyse

A character who made you want to throw things

There are loads of characters in multiple dramas this year that made me want to do this .

From the daily drama that I am watching ( The Love In Your Eyes ) there are a number of exhausting characters there that I would really wanna slap.  @ktcjdrama @Zoaze @Celebrianna @Nohamahmoud2002 know for sure who I'm referring too. The second FL, her mother , the ML's mother, the FL's mother in law...:lettalKWA:

But this question I also interpret it as a supposedly good character that frustrated you to the core. And that "honour" goes to the two older sisters in Little Women. Both older Oh sisters annoyed me so much not because they were bad people but because they made some  dumb decisions AND thought they were really clever.  Don't even get me started about the ending where Oh In Ju decided to take the $$ and turn down the man. Come on,  didn't she realise that this is one of the moments where the man is saying to her that she can have her cake and eat it too? How can anyone turn Wi Ha Joon down? 

Spoiler

FjdejlWXwAMzQyC?format=jpg&name=900x900

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Clapping Hands 5

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  -  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - 

On 12/6/2022 at 1:07 AM, stroppyse said:

A character who made you laugh

So, we're talking about a character who made you laugh out loud, even better if it made others turn and look to see what was so funny!

The one who came immediately to my mind is Jung Myeong Seok (Kang Ki Young) in 'Extraordinary Attorney Woo'. JMS was actually a fairly well rounded character in terms of drama and comedy, but he did make me just laugh out loud a couple of times. I put it down to the skill of the actor!

Well a character that made me laugh out loud was 

Park Eun Bi  ( Woo Young Woo)  she made me laugh out loud 

Gong Jun ( Wen Ke Xing)  in Word of  honor he made me laught out loud

Yoon Sang Hyeon ( Grand Prince Muan)

Moon Ye Won ( Sang Mi) Three Bold Ssiblings

Kim Hae Sook ( Queen Dowager)  Under the Queen's Umbrella

Kim Go- Eun  (Oh In Joo) Little Woman

THe LOVE IN YOUR EYES

Lee Young Yi - She is treated like crap and refuses to fight for herself and her daught. So I stopped watching

Game of Witches.   BEWARE OF THIS DRAMA

Jung Hye-Soo  She is DUMB and has been wronged from the very first episode 

Seol Yoo -Kyung  - She is as DUMB as her daughter and has BIG BLINDERS ON  concerning her fake daughter

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

Favorite Favorite Artist  Bae Doona, Moon Chae Won, Gong Hyo Jin, Cho Seung Woo, Jang Hyuk,, Jo In Sung,  Gong Yoo

Drama watching now: Plot Love,  Chimera ,The Psychologist, Always have,Always will , Show Windows: Queens House

11 hours ago, stroppyse said:

Oh many, I easily hate those evil characters whole heartedly, I'm quite lazy to search their real names so I'll use their dramas characters.

1. Kook Ji Hyun, Gi Oh Sung and Sa Jung Kyung in Revenge of Others. 

2. Immortal zombie Gwi Nam in All Of Us Are Dead.

3. Pyscho couple Park Jae Sang-Won Sang-Ah in Little Women.

4. Hyena and Kim Joo Young in Sky Castle.

@SilverMoonTea I resumed episode 7 to 8 after ffd ep 5 to 6. My final verdict, dropped the show. 

• Like 6
  • Insightful 2
  • Clapping Hands 1
15 hours ago, liddi said:

In that case, I will once again have to reach back one year to "Reflection of You" and give Seo Woojae the dubious honour of being that character, even more so than Jung Heejoo and the rest of the unlikeable characters in the drama, which is saying a lot

Every winter I think back to this drama and wonder, what possessed me to watch it every week without fail. :lmao2:

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
2 hours ago, Tofu said:

Every winter I think back to this drama and wonder, what possessed me to watch it every week without fail. 

That is okay , I think we all have sat down and watch a drama from the beginning til the end  then wondered why did we that. 

I think the reason may be because the viewers need to see how the writer will wrap things up in the end. 

• Like 7

Favorite Favorite Artist  Bae Doona, Moon Chae Won, Gong Hyo Jin, Cho Seung Woo, Jang Hyuk,, Jo In Sung,  Gong Yoo

Drama watching now: Plot Love,  Chimera ,The Psychologist, Always have,Always will , Show Windows: Queens House

3 hours ago, Tofu said:

Every winter I think back to this drama and wonder, what possessed me to watch it every week without fail. :lmao2:

Oh... in that case, I was slightly better off, having suffered for a shorter period of time since I binge watched the first 11eps after completing The Veil. Still, it had a lot going for it in spite of its glut of horrible characters, and I was glad I persevered to the end to see the redemption arc in most of the characters, even if I didn't agree with the choices that were made to get there. So thank you @ktcjdrama @abs-oluteM for the siren call that drew me in even if my monitor and hair might beg to differ, considering the dire danger they were in throughout that time :laugh:

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Signal, Thank You, Missing:The Other Side, Children of Nobody, Misaeng, Tree with Deep Roots, Story of a Man

步步惊心, 长相思, 琅琊榜之风起长林, 平凡的荣耀, 大鱼海棠, 九州缥缈录, 风声, 剑雨

Ice Kacang Puppy Love, Garden of Evening Mists

Mother, 空から降る一億の星, Ouroboros

Topic #8

A drama you weren't planning on watching, but are grateful you did!

Hmmm.  Will have to think about this one before I post about it...

Actually, I did finally watch Hot Stove League, though, and I was really happy to watch it. Thanks @40somethingahjummasince it was your review that convinced me to go watch it when I got the chance to do so!

• Like 4
  • Party! 3
15 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

There are loads of characters in multiple dramas this year that made me want to do this .

[,,,]

But this question I also interpret it as a supposedly good character that frustrated you to the core. And that "honour" goes to the two older sisters in Little Women. Both older Oh sisters annoyed me so much not because they were bad people but because they made some  dumb decisions AND thought they were really clever.  Don't even get me started about the ending where Oh In Ju decided to take the $$ and turn down the man. Come on,  didn't she realise that this is one of the moments where the man is saying to her that she can have her cake and eat it too? How can anyone turn Wi Ha Joon down? 

Reveal hidden contents

FjdejlWXwAMzQyC?format=jpg&name=900x900

For me, I don't have problems with bad people doing bad things. That's their purpose in any drama  -- to create conflict, to be antagonists, cause problems for the protagonists.  But when characters who are supposedly on the side of "right", characters that we're supposed to root for do ridiculous things for quick short term gain, I object strenuously. I don't expect perfection but repeated instances of stupidity becomes an exercise in frustration. The point of character development is to "develop", to learn from past experiences and do better the next time there's a crisis. Oh In-joo in Little Women is a case in point. In one ear, out the other.

So I don't throw things at my screen when bad people do what's expected of them. 

8 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

Actually, I did finally watch Hot Stove League, though, and I was really happy to watch it. Thanks @40somethingahjummasince it was your review that convinced me to go watch it when I got the chance to do so!

Oh good. It's one of my favourites. I don't give out too many 10/10s as a whole but this is one of them. A perfect drama in every way.

11 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

Topic #8

@SilverMoonTeagot me hooked onto Thank You, Doctor a C drama which I have really enjoyed for the most part. 

@abs-oluteMis usually responsible for recommending me things I didn't know I needed to watch. Her track record is usually good. 

Remarriage and Desires was actually a lot more fun than I expected. It's not the usual sort of fare that I go for. But I really liked the male lead.

I often accidentally discover trashy C drama rom coms on YouTube. Trashy is the operative word but I can enjoy schlocky offerings especially if it gives me the ending that I want.

• Like 4
  • Clapping Hands 4

Currently Watching: Queen of Tears, In Blossom

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

1 hour ago, stroppyse said:

Topic #8

1 Summer Strike 

I'm on the fence at first. Didn't really like the FL. But I saw this picture in twitter, which I can correlate with FL's life very well. 

She ventured to small town, and made a lot of enemy at first. But slowly they opened up to her with their problems. 

The drama have funny moments, sad events and I always felt time flies fast whenever I watched this show. The story relatively simple. But all the components combined together just pulled all of my heart strings. 

2 The First Responder

Poster looks a bit lame and uninteresting. I think ktcjdrama or triplem said this is good. So I just follow them and try. So far the case pretty well made. Might be over the top sometimes, but doesnt matter to me. Writer also do other old show which I like as well "Partner in Justice". 

@40somethingahjummaI think we occasionally like similar type of drama. Either romance with slowburn style or dark crime drama. And also slice of life like Ordinary Greatness. So sometimes I will tagged you if I really like the drama and feel that you will also like it as well :heart: I know I need to be careful with my recommendation, as I often get excited prematurely and then left the drama half way :lmao2:

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

ezgif-com-gif-maker-47.gif

8. A drama you weren't planning on watching, but am grateful you did!

Once again... nothing this year I can mention.

In which case, it will have to be Misaeng. I remember hearing glowing recommendations when it first aired in 2014, but I balked for the longest time because I was sure its office life premise was not something I would want to watch, being so much a part of my own life as it is. Took me more than a year to finally get my toes wet, after which I was irrevocably hooked on a journey I did not want to end - cheering, hurting, crying, hoping, railing along with Sales Team 3 and the other staff of One International. From here, I would go on to watch every remake I could find - J-adaptation HOPE~期待ゼロの新入社員~ and C-remake 平凡的荣耀 Ordinary Glory, the latter of which I truly love as well. Still, none could hope to touch the place that the original holds in my heart, and the raw emotions I felt when I first watched are still as fresh as ever each time I revisit it.

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

Signal, Thank You, Missing:The Other Side, Children of Nobody, Misaeng, Tree with Deep Roots, Story of a Man

There are many dramas recently that I don't plan on watching until I hear some good reviews after it aired. However, one drama I most definitely never plan on watching or even know its existence was Love Like the Galaxy. @Tofu will be happy again, haha!

I saw it on Tofu's TL and decided to click and watch the preview. Immediately I was drawn to the introduction of how Ling Bu Yi is this stoic character blah blah blah and the special effects and visuals were just so beautiful that I decided I'll check it out.

Other dramas that I didn't plan on watching are:

1. Under the Queen's Umbrella - reading the sypnosis I didn't think it'd be interesting at all!

2. All of Us Are Dead - Didn't plan to watch it at all coz I was just so overdosed with zombie themes but then I found out Oppa Park Solomon is in it and the rest is history.

3. Sh**ting Stars - This was a breath of fresh air from all the heavy and lawyer themed dramas during that airing period. It was a fun and light drama.

And let me go back to Characters I want to throw things, coz I forgot the below two from 2022 dramas:

1. Park Tae Yang (Park Ju Hyun) in Love All Play

The character was so frustrating to watch. The actress has no chemie with the male lead as well. Like, how? How can one not have chemie with Chae Jong Hyeop???

2. Han Jae Hee (Oh Yeon Seo) in Cafe Minamdang

The character itself is a joke. All the things she does AS A POLICE was a joke. I probably should blame the characterisation on the writer. But Oh Yeon Seo herself just didn't make the character shine either.

Spoiler

I ♥ Seo In Guk, and I endured Doom At Your Service's weird storyline to the end because it was both SIG and PBY but woah, SIG and OYS have zero compatibility on screen. I shipped SIG with all his co-stars but this one, my reaction was "No, please don't make them kiss!"

A lot of JH members picked Oh In Joo in Little Women (played by Kim Go Eun) for this as well but I at least enjoyed Kim Go Eun's performance. And she does have chemie with Wi Ha Joon, seeing how I wanted to ship them.

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 3
  • Clapping Hands 3
3 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

Remarriage and Desires was actually a lot more fun than I expected. It's not the usual sort of fare that I go for. But I really liked the male lead.

This was also an expected watch for me & I do like ML too . Thanks to @Chocolate who mentioned it to me. 

2 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

There are many dramas recently that I don't plan on watching until I hear some good reviews in after it aired. However, one drama I most definitely never plan on watching or even know its existence was Love Like the Galaxy. @Tofu will be happy again, haha!

@Tofu scored a big one on this. I hope that this isn't a one hit wonder Lei Lei show for you. :laugh:

With regards to LWomen - KGE was good in her role ( though I didn't like how they made her character so ditzy) & I liked her chemistry with WHJ. Which made me even more sore that she decided to "turn him down" ...:cry:

6 hours ago, liddi said:

Oh... in that case, I was slightly better off, having suffered for a shorter period of time since I binge watched the first 11eps after completing The Veil. Still, it had a lot going for it in spite of its glut of horrible characters, and I was glad I persevered to the end to see the redemption arc in most of the characters, even if I didn't agree with the choices that were made to get there. So thank you @ktcjdrama @abs-oluteM for the siren call that drew me in even if my monitor and hair might beg to differ, considering the dire danger they were in throughout that time

Reflection of You was definitely one of those dramas that drove me nuts. Not one character there was likeable but I did think the acting was good. Till today , I still can't figure out what message the story was trying to send. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  -  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - 

13 minutes ago, abs-oluteM said:

@Tofu scored a big one on this. I hope that this isn't a one hit wonder Lei Lei show for you. 

Yeah she hit Jackpot. She didn't even need to sell it to me :laugh:. Though I was entertaining the idea of dropping the drama because I couldn't stand the grandmother and aunt in episode 3-4. And then I hit Jackpot with @Chocolate :lmao2:

:eeeee: → this is me, being super proud of myself!

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

@mademoiselle @abs-oluteM

For me Kim Go-eun's performance in Little Women was one of the best in the drama which is why I don't hate the character but I did want to throw things at her at various times for some of her decisions. There's very little doubt in my mind that her chemistry with WI Ha-joon was fantastic which is why the ending is so much more disappointing for me. In fact, I like her chemistry with him more than any of her other male leads. Damnit. I wanted him to fly off to Greece with her. Or at least come back to see her after his stint in Europe. According to the Twitter users, the writer apparently said in an interview that if there had been one more episode, they would have ended up together. Gee, writer. Thanks.

@SilverMoonTeaI think we both recommended things to each other this year, certainly where C dramas are concerned. Except for Who Rules the World, I finished every C drama that I picked this year. Starting from Reset, Under the Skin to Strange Tales of Tang Dynasty. I even finished the really trashy My Sassy Princess because of my love for the male lead more than anything else.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Clapping Hands 2

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

24 minutes ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

but I did want to throw things at her at various times for some of her decisions.

I wanted to throw things at all of the sisters 😆 but in comparison to other characters/actresses in the dramas, I think it's fair to say I can tolerate them more than those I've listed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
6 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

Yeah she hit Jackpot. She didn't even need to sell it to me

I have come to realized that if I don't sell a drama and just post it on Twitter, people are more likely to check out the drama. When I do try to sell a drama (Silent) no one wants to watch it. From now on, I shall only sell dramas by posting on Twitter. :laugh:

9 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

1. Park Tae Yang (Park Ju Hyun) in Love All Play

YES!! I forgot all about her. She was so frustrating to watch. :shocked:

I am grateful to all of you who continued to recommend Under the Queen's Umbrella. I thoroughly enjoyed and appreciated this drama so much. Kim Hye Soo is amazing in every project she's in and Moon Sang Min has a bright future ahead of him.

QU-26.gif

Another drama I was not planning on watching but did after hearing so much about it was Silent. It's through this drama that I found Meguro Ren. He signs so naturally and while he doesn't have many lines, you can still feel all his emotions through his nonverbals. 

SILENT-02.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 4

Topic #9

An actor or actress that you're waiting for

We all have actors/actresses who we wish would do another drama, preferably another good drama. Anyone this year that you were hoping to see but who didn't really come across your screen?

I think I was waiting to see what Park Bo Gum would do once he came back from the military. It was cute watching him in the variety 'Young Actors' Retreat', but aside from some MC and reality stuff, he doesn't seem to have selected anything as yet. Also, given his last few projects before he went to do his service, I think perhaps it's more curiosity at this point than a fervent desire to see him in anything specific.

Also, I really like Nam Ji Hyun, and usually await her projects with a lot of anticipation. However, 'Little Women' sounded like a mess from pre-production so I gave the whole thing a miss. Guess I'm waiting for NJH's next project instead?

Another one to think about...

• Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 1
  • Party! 3

Prompt 8  No Drama came to mind

Topic #9

53 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

Actress  Yoon Jung Hee, Park Joo Mi, Bae Doo Na, Yoon Eun Hye

Actor    Lee Tae-Kon, Bu Bae , Gong Yoo, Ju Ji- Hoon

• Like 5

9. An actor or actress that you're waiting for

Jo Jin Woong

While he is actively churning out movies, he has not had a drama since 2016, so I am still hoping against hope that he will make a comeback as Lee Jaehan in Signal S2

Ahn Mi-Na

Her stunning breakout role as Chae Eunsoo in Story of a Man (2009) - the core around whom Kim Shin and Chae Dowoo revolved - made me a massive fan. She has had supporting roles in a smattering of dramas and movies since then but I am rooting for her to come back with yet another outstanding, memorable performance.

• Like 6

Topic #7

A character who made you  want to throw things

The King from Bloody Heart

He was constantly on the verge of the tears..  ( Lee Joon, oppa, sorry... )   :pandalove:

This contains an image of:

On 12/9/2022 at 6:26 AM, stroppyse said:

Topic #8

All of Us Are Dead..   

This contains an image of: KIRUKATOKA

2 hours ago, stroppyse said:

Topic #9

- Woo Do Hwan 

- Jung Yong Hwa

- Lee Soo Hyuk  as the ML...

Drama: Handmade Love | Explore Tumblr Posts and Blogs | Tumpik

ctto

Christmas card Snowman, Watercolor Country, elf, new Year png | PNGEgg

• Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 4
3 hours ago, stroppyse said:

Topic #9

This is a tough one to answer because I tend to follow stories rather than actors although... I admit to having watched Namgoong Min's last six dramas. Awaken was a hard slog despite its fascinating premise.

I'm always waiting for Jang Hyuk to do something that interests me. Bloody Heart was great and he's always good in sageuks. 

Lee Joon-hyuk in a rom com or as a romantic male lead. 

Kwak Si-yang as the male lead.

I agree with @rocher22that Lee Soo-hyuk needs to be a male lead already even if he ends up being an antihero. 

Jang Kyung-ho -- what's he done since Hospital Playlist S2?

Zhang Ruoyun in Joy of Life S2 (But in general he's quite good at picking scripts)

• Like 6