Reasons to Cheer: a Drama Round-up!

stroppyse

===

Oh @abs-oluteM, I was re-reading a few pages back and saw you said something along the line of needing a tracker for dramas you have seen. You can use My Drama List to do that.

What I need now is an Oppa Tracker List 😆

I can't remember last year who I adopted. I mean, they are in the list I just don't remember which month/year. Not that it is important.

===

15 hours ago, Tofu said:

I have come to realized that if I don't sell a drama and just post it on Twitter, people are more likely to check out the drama. When I do try to sell a drama (Silent) no one wants to watch it. From now on, I shall only sell dramas by posting on Twitter.

Ahahaha! I think it's the timing and all the stars aligned in the galaxy for Love Like the Galaxy (pun intended). The first appeal was definitely the preview and knowing that it was their original voice. I was very upset Who Rule the World was dubbed. As you already know, Lei Lei's line delivery was excellent. But I didn't start it right away and became even more intrigued because of what people posted on weibo's timeline, like the cut of Shao Shang treating Ling Bu Yi's wound. 🥰

• Haha 8

Jung Yong Hwa is a good actor and awesome singer.  @Nohamahmoud2002 @rocher22 I should add him to my lest of actors looking forward to watch in a drama. I only see him in rom com and I am not a fan of those drama unless. :letalQQ:

Thanks for the info Nohamahmoud2002

• Like 5
  • Clapping Hands 2

Favorite Favorite Artist  Bae Doona, Moon Chae Won, Gong Hyo Jin, Cho Seung Woo, Jang Hyuk,, Jo In Sung,  Gong Yoo

Drama watching now: Plot Love,  Chimera ,The Psychologist, Always have,Always will , Show Windows: Queens House

Last prompt!

Which drama defined 2022 for you?

It doesn't have to be a drama that was released in 2022, but it has to be a drama that you will remember as being meaningful for you in some way in 2022.

For me, 2022 was so chaotic, but not in a zombie kind of way as in previous years. I think there were just a lot of people and things that I just wanted to give a swift kick to the head to sort out. Which is a fairly graphic imagery from a person who really abhors physical violence. Then again, whoever said humans were all that logical anyway? :lmao2:

Unfortunately, 'A Young Lady and a Gentleman' may be my defining pick for 2022. This was a weekender that aired at the end of 2021 and finished in 2022. It started with a lot of promise, including an interesting pairing of leads Ji Hyun Woo and Lee Sae Hee, and taking swipes at 'Parasite' showing situations reminiscent of elements of that movie, except without the ill-intent, the manipulation, and the violence depicted in the movie as well as other drama and movie tropes and putting them into less malignant interpretations. It also echoed back to the movie 'The Sound of Music' or the US tv series 'The Nanny' in how the children's caretaker helps the father to become closer to his children.

Unfortunately, the writer didn't seem to know where they wanted to take the characters and plotlines, and ultimately, it fell into the same makjang elements that kdramas so often utilize, before putting together a rather nonsensical ending, but which at least brings the OTP together at the end.

So, a lot of promise which fizzled into disappointment and a lot of fast forwarding. Yep, that sounds like 2022 to me.

I'll have to think if there was a drama that I liked so much instead of ones that disappointed me so that I can answer this question in a different way.

• Like 5
  • Clapping Hands 2
  • Party! 1
On 12/10/2022 at 1:27 PM, stroppyse said:

Topic #9

An actor or actress that you're waiting for

We all have actors/actresses who we wish would do another drama, preferably another good drama. Anyone this year that you were hoping to see but who didn't really come across your screen?

Cheng Yi :Party02:

I miss his handsome face ! 

20221211-162202.jpg

And the last prompt , I will choose Immortal Samsara. I bet @UnniSarawill agree with me. 

One of my favourite scene

The drama has it shortage, but still it's so dreamy and Cheng Yi had his own way to make this drama shine out. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Clapping Hands 3

ezgif-com-gif-maker-47.gif

I am here ~ ~ !!

Haha, been procrastinating because quite a number of the questions require thinking. And I wasn't really in the mood to use my brain. :heiboi:

How many dramas did you watch this year?

Started 45 (with 7 ongoing), Completed 49 (adding those started before 2022)

There are some dramas I really wanted to watch but either just couldn't fit them in my time anymore, or was just not in the right mood for the genre

A couple you wished ended up together?

I am usually okay with the pairing. Or I have learned to accept the main pairing from the start. So I don't usually get SLS now. But if I really really have to name a pair, it will be Na Hee Do and Baek Yi Jin from 2521. I mean, after all they've gone through, I just cannot accept they're not together. Just for the record, the couple from "May It Please The Court" did end up together. They're now on their honeymoon scuba-diving in Bali after their sky-diving wedding. :smug:

A drama you lost sleep from staying up to watch it

I don't think there's one in 2022, because my schedule just won't allow me to do so anymore. But I remember very well one drama that made me stayed up until over 4 am before going to sleep. And that is also because I ran out of aired episodes to watch, otherwise, I would probably continue watching. The drama is Sky Castle. 

A drama that disappointed you

Ah... there are quite a few dramas this year. Unfortunately. To name a few: The Golden Spoon, Love is for Suckers, Little Women, Curtain Call (this one still airing though)

A new actor/actress you came to love in 2022

Without a doubt - Moon Sang Min :wow: .... and Park Solomon. I love Kim Tae Ri too because of 2521! 

A character who made you laugh

I really cannot name one character. Let me name one drama though. All the characters made you laugh. It's Gaus Electronics!! Seriously guys, watch this and get some good laughs.

A character who made you want to throw things

I think I shall name Na Joo Hee from The Golden Spoon if we're talking protagonists. I have more if we change it to characters who made me want to smack them, eg. Sa Jung Gyeong (antagonist) in Revenge of Others. Lee Sang Min and Jo Nam Soo from Three Bold Siblings. There are also those characters in the dailies as mentioned by @abs-oluteM.... Ooops, I'm sounding like a prickly irritable ahjumma now. Let's stop here.

A drama you weren't planning on watching, but are grateful you did!

Once Upon A Small Town - what a delightful watch. And of course, Gaus Electronics. I should also add that I don't usually plan to watch Chinese dramas, haha... and I am glad to have watched some of the recommended one this year. 

Hmm... I'm gonna need more time to think about this one.

Edited by ktcjdrama
  • Haha 8

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

2022 is Sisyphus: The Myth at work. So messed up on various levels. It also felt like Forecasting Love and Weather where stuff made a political turn like the unpredictable weather. Additionally, it's like My Country: The New Age whereby I felt like I was in a sageuk witnessing a change in Dynasty or a reign of a King. The citizens thought there was hope with this newly appointed King after he strategically uproot a few very influential corrupted officials; however, few months down the line, there really hasn't been much change or improvement at all. Rather than listening to useful people like Seo Hwi that genuinely want to save the country and make it better, the new King used two corrupted Ministers as his trusted Advisors. Now the citizens are left wondering whether they should migrate to another country where the grass is greener or just go for a Summer Strike for a hiatus.

:lol:

15 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

A new actor/actress you came to love in 2022

Without a doubt - Moon Sang Min :wow: .... and Park Solomon.

:CharmanderYay:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Clapping Hands 1
  • Party! 2

10. Which drama defined 2022 for you?

That is such a tough one since 2022 has such a mixture of high, low and incredulous moments for me. Any drama that does not hit the right notes for me is usually dropped like a hot potato so those I do complete usually have redeeming quality of some sort in my eyes. After long deliberation, I guess it would be The Veil, with its convoluted, oft-mind-boggling plot with too many threads (similar to the drama that just played out not too long ago domestically), saved by strong ensemble performances and characters I do care about (even if they are inexplicably written off way too soon) :shocked2:, and ending on a hopeful note that tomorrow will be a better day.

• Like 3
  • Clapping Hands 3

Signal, Thank You, Missing:The Other Side, Children of Nobody, Misaeng, Tree with Deep Roots, Story of a Man

步步惊心, 长相思, 琅琊榜之风起长林, 平凡的荣耀, 大鱼海棠, 九州缥缈录, 风声, 剑雨

Ice Kacang Puppy Love, Garden of Evening Mists

Mother, 空から降る一億の星, Ouroboros

@rocher22 Yes, I agreed! Lee Soo Hyuk in a good leading role would be amazing!! 

@40somethingahjumma Kwak Si Yang has been cast as the male lead in an upcoming KBS weekend drama opposite Baek Jin Hee. They have started or will start filming soon since the drama is slotted to air some time in March 2023! You also won't have to wait too long for Jung Kyung Ho. He has a drama premiering in January opposite Jeon Do Yeon called Crash Course in Romance. 

@UnniSara @SilverMoonTea You two are so funny! Everyone listed people who didn't really have a drama in 2022 but you both wrote Cheng Yi who had two dramas released in 2022! :lmao2:

An actor or actress you're waiting for....

Without a doubt, it would have to be these two -- Yang Se Jong and Woo Do Hwan

MC-01v4.gif

Other actors/actress would be: Jang Dong Yoon, Kim Bum, Gong Yoo, Peng Xiao Ran (I know she has one coming out soon, but not the drama I'm waiting for), and Ding Yuxi. I have a lot of actors/actresses who already had dramas out this year that I want to see in more projects in 2023. 

I'll have to think more about the last prompt, so I'll be back to answer it. 

• Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 1
  • Party! 3
4 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

It’s hard to come up with an answer for this because I normally don’t really care who the actor/actress is when picking up dramas to watch, although the cast do influence my decision whether or not to pick up the drama. Maybe Cho Seung Woo, and Kim Myung Min? I think I would watch anything for them. 

• Like 3
  • Clapping Hands 3

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

4 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

Once Upon A Small Town - what a delightful watch.

Oh, I forgot about this drama, but I totally agree with you. It was by total chance that I even watched the first episode, but I ended up thoroughly enjoying this drama.

55 minutes ago, Tofu said:

Woo Do Hwan

*sigh* I have such mixed feelings about this actor. I really liked him in 'Save Me' and 'Mad Dog', so much so that I started watching everything that he was in. However, he then when on to do some really questionable projects. So, I'm not sure that I can say that I'm anticipating his projects any more. I'm sure part of it is just that he's an actor who wants to work, and so he'll jump on if it looks as if it's going to keep breathing, so perhaps production houses just need to offer him better projects?

• Like 6
5 hours ago, stroppyse said:

Last prompt!

Love Like the Galaxy.

Why? Because... and I apologize for banging on the same drum... C dramas were consistently better for me all through the year. I'm trying hard to take a more positive tack and not continue bagging on K dramas. Yes, there's always rubbish because the industry prioritises quantity over quality. But the good ones were good. Even the low budget trope fests like Mr Bad knew how to fan service to the hilt. It isn't as if Love Like the Galaxy didn't have flaws. Of course it did. The episodes after the 5 year time skip were not on par with the earlier ones but at least the leads got their happily ever after ie. the ending did make some sense. It was a show that had everything in it -- humour, poignancy, family drama and great action set pieces.

K dramas weren't outright bad. Just mostly disappointing because most start well and then something happens to the script and the final phase just doesn't make a lot of sense.

That said, the last quarter of 2022 seems to be coming up with the goods. Maybe in readiness for the big awards. (I'm so cynical)

• Like 3
  • Clapping Hands 2

Currently Watching: Queen of Tears, In Blossom

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

13 hours ago, SilverMoonTea said:

I will choose Immortal Samsara

Yes I do agaree witht that @SilverMoonTea  The whole cast for this drama was phenomenal. I was so Invested in this drama that I plan on rewatching this drama because i was moved by it all.  --- >. Prompt 5 Immortal Samsara

• Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 3

Favorite Favorite Artist  Bae Doona, Moon Chae Won, Gong Hyo Jin, Cho Seung Woo, Jang Hyuk,, Jo In Sung,  Gong Yoo

Drama watching now: Plot Love,  Chimera ,The Psychologist, Always have,Always will , Show Windows: Queens House

6 hours ago, stroppyse said:

*sigh* I have such mixed feelings about this actor. I really liked him in 'Save Me' and 'Mad Dog', so much so that I started watching everything that he was in. However, he then when on to do some really questionable projects. So, I'm not sure that I can say that I'm anticipating his projects any more. I'm sure part of it is just that he's an actor who wants to work, and so he'll jump on if it looks as if it's going to keep breathing, so perhaps production houses just need to offer him better projects?

I don't think Tempted should exist for any of those four leads. Hahaha! With the exception of Joy, I've learned to really like Moon Ga Young, Kim Min Jae and Woo Do Hwan post-Tempted (although, I liked WDH and KMJ pre-Tempted). Woo Do Hwan has a sageuk coming up in 2023 and one of my favorite project of his is My Country: The New Age, which was also a sageuk. 

Having thought about the last prompt, I think the drama that defined 2022 for me was Love Like the Galaxy. I agreed with @40somethingahjumma that this year, C-Dramas were superior to me than K-Dramas. I felt with many of the K-Dramas I watched, they would start off strong and loose steam after a couple of episodes. I have never dropped this many K-Dramas before, even the really popular dramas like 2521, Attorney Woo, etc. I never finished. :idk:

Wu Lei and Zhao Lu Si really brought their characters to life and I was invested in their journey from the very beginning. :heart:

LLTG-78-T.gif

Honorable mention to Love Between Fairy and Devil. It aired around the same time as LLTG and between the two dramas, I definitely lost sleep. Haha! It's been a while since I've seen a nicely done xianxia with wonderful CGI. For me, LBFAD became the standard for this genre, because I now know it's possible for CGIs to be this seamless. 

CLJ-03-T.gif

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 2
1 hour ago, Tofu said:

With the exception of Joy, I've learned to really like Moon Ga Young, Kim Min Jae and Woo Do Hwan post-Tempted (although, I liked WDH and KMJ pre-Tempted). Woo Do Hwan has a sageuk coming up in 2023 and one of my favorite project of his is My Country: The New Age, which was also a sageuk. 

I should mention that I was surprised at how well Joy did in 'Once Upon a Small Town' this year. I actually finished the drama and enjoyed it! I think Joy perhaps gets miscast into parts that are outside her range. Because of her popularity, she keeps getting lead roles when perhaps what she needed were some smaller roles so that she could work on her craft.

MGY is someone who I think I should like, but honestly can't name a single one of her dramas or roles, other than as a supporting character in the Jung Yong Hwa-Park Shin Hye disaster 'Heartbeat', and of course, in the drama which shall not be named. Okay, perhaps I'm being too hard on 'Heartbeat'.

I've already spoken about my mixed feelings for WDH, and Kim Min Jae isn't someone that I totally adored though I've enjoyed him in a number of roles, mostly supporting characters though.

To be fair, I haven't finished 'My Country' yet. I figured it was going to be a tragic sageuk, what with the two male leads being childhood besties and all. I'm staying away from tragedies for the moment.

• Like 5
17 hours ago, Tofu said:

An actor or actress you're waiting for....

Without a doubt, it would have to be these two -- Yang Se Jong and Woo Do Hwan

Speaking of the devil! YSJ's drama gets officiated today... what a coincident, eh? I think Woo Do Hwan's drama would have been aired already/sooner if Kim Sae Ron hadn't got caught drunk driving.

@Tofu Tempted... :KittyMallet: I cannot believe I watched it all :KittyMummy:.

@Tofu @stroppyse Did you both not watch TKEM because of the leads? Eun Seob/Jo Young were worth it though. Jo Young is my favourite. Even my fussy sister likes Wo Do Hwan in there.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
16 hours ago, stroppyse said:

I'm sure part of it is just that he's an actor who wants to work, and so he'll jump on if it looks as if it's going to keep breathing, so perhaps production houses just need to offer him better projects?

9 hours ago, Tofu said:

Woo Do Hwan has a sageuk coming up in 2023 and one of my favorite project of his is My Country: The New Age, which was also a sageuk. 

I hope Haunting Dogs will be good...   

9 hours ago, Tofu said:

Having thought about the last prompt, I think the drama that defined 2022 for me was Love Like the Galaxy

Wu Lei and Zhao Lu Si really brought their characters to life and I was invested in their journey from the very beginning. :heart:

hmm...Im not sure if this is the actor from Battle Through the Heavens... 

Приглашаем Всех - X Mas Decorations Png - Free Transparent PNG Clipart  Images Download

• Like 5

Hi I just found another two actors I am waiting for. 

Phillip Lee LSY drama he was in FAITH

giphy.gif?cid=5e2148868852fd102811af1f89

DANIEL HENNEY 

• Like 4
  • Party! 1

13 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

@Tofu @stroppyse Did you both not watch TKEM because of the leads? Eun Seob/Jo Young were worth it though. Jo Young is my favourite. Even my fussy sister likes Wo Do Hwan in there.

Nope. I refused to watch TKEM because of the leads. I really don't need to watch LMH phone another one in from whatever cush place he is in .

6 hours ago, UnniSara said:

DANIEL HENNEY 

I really liked it when he was on the US crime drama 'Criminal Minds'. I haven't checked out his new drama 'Wheel of Time' yet. Wonder if he'll do another kdrama or kmovie afterwards? I know that he's been doing some kvariety shows here and there, and I hear that his Korean is improving.

• Haha 4
  • Heart Eyes 1