Reasons to Cheer: a Drama Round-up!

stroppyse

15 hours ago, stroppyse said:

I really liked it when he was on the US crime drama 'Criminal Minds'. I haven't checked out his new drama 'Wheel of Time' yet. Wonder if he'll do another kdrama or kmovie afterwards? I know that he's been doing some kvariety shows here and there, and I hear that his Korean is improving.

He is doing a phenomenal job in Wheel of Time.  I was hoping he be in Criminal Mind Evolution  but due to filming for Wheel of Time he couldn’t join them in  Evolution. I wish he would land a Male lead role in Kdrama but for some reason he lands support role with an american name

• Like 4

Favorite Favorite Artist  Bae Doona, Moon Chae Won, Gong Hyo Jin, Cho Seung Woo, Jang Hyuk,, Jo In Sung,  Gong Yoo

Drama watching now: Plot Love,  Chimera ,The Psychologist, Always have,Always will , Show Windows: Queens House

@mademoiselle @rocher22 I think Hunting Dogs would be out by now or at least have an airing date if it wasn't for the KSR too. 

16 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

Did you both not watch TKEM because of the leads? Eun Seob/Jo Young were worth it though. Jo Young is my favourite. Even my fussy sister likes Wo Do Hwan in there.

I didn't watch it because I'm not a big fan of LMH. I am a clip watcher so of course I had to watch clips of my favorite, Woo Do Hwan! :LarvitarSDab1:

16 hours ago, rocher22 said:

hmm...Im not sure if this is the actor from Battle Through the Heavens... 

It is! Wu Lei was in that. If you haven't watched Love Like the Galaxy, you'll have to find time to watch it. 

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Tofu said:

WDH played two different characters and I thought he did really well as both. His relationship with himself (LOL!) was funny. 

Watching the clips of WDH playing 2 diff characters and having a relationship with himself, he was so good! Loved both of his characters! Too bad I still can't bear to watch the actual drama itself.

1 hour ago, Tofu said:

Out of curiosity -- Is there a drama character that people thought had great characterization or growth? 

Oooh. Prompt #11!

I liked the development Lee Jae Wook's character Jang Wook in AoS was taking, right until I dropped the drama.

I also liked the development of Son Seok Gu's character Mr. Gu in MLD. The siblings in MLD also had their own journeys of self-discovery that they had to make.

And, of course, Jun's character Yoon Tae In in LMBYK had some good growth as did his bandmates.

That's all I can think of now.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

Is there a drama character that people thought had great characterization or growth? 

Glory of Special Forces 

For growth: Yan Po Yue reminds me of Maverick from Top Gun in the beginning. Both were overly confident and arrogant. In the end, he learnt to be humble and appreciate his teammates. He learnt that in his line of work, he can't achieve everything on his own and there will be time that he must rely and put his trust in his team.

Love Like the Galaxy

For growth and characterisation: Ling Bu Yi and Cheng Shao Shang. I think both grew up being lonely and independent that they never knew how to lean on others. In the end, they both learnt to rely on each other and compromise. They learnt from one another as well (knowledge transfer) and work together towards the same goal. Ok, maybe the last bit is more from the novel than from the drama.

Our Blues

For growth: Han Jin Min's character Lee Young Ok. She has to take care of her down syndrome sister and due to that she was hurt many times by people's prejudice and lost her confidence and belief in love because her past lovers all ended up leaving her, until she met Park Jung Joon. Jung Joon's patience and acceptance saves her. Jung Joon's family's acceptance of her situation break down the wall she built to protect her heart.

Reborn Rich

For great characterisation: Jin Yang Chul by Lee Sung Min. I think a lot of it comes from how awesome Lee Sung Min plays the character. He is in no way a likable person but you cannot help but admire his business skills and respect him for his achievements. @Tofu @stroppyse Why aren't you both watching this? Every episode has been very engaging and strong so far with excellent acting.

• Like 4
  • Clapping Hands 2
On 12/10/2022 at 5:23 PM, 40somethingahjumma said:

ang Kyung-ho -- what's he done since Hospital Playlist S2?

Coming soon....he is the actor I have been waiting for this year.

Shamelessly selling my thread here :laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: The Impossible Heir - Fri-Sat:  -  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - In Blossom, Guess Who I Am

I probably missed a tone of questions but just wanted to say that this was a defining drama for me this year. I know the pacing & dialogue was not everyone's cup of tea, but this show spoke to me and came to me at a time when I was at my lowest. While there were many amazing actors that aced their roles this year, SSK gets my vote for his fantastic performance as Mr Gu. A man who's expressions said a whole lot more than his words. 

My Liberation Notes

• Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: The Impossible Heir - Fri-Sat:  -  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - In Blossom, Guess Who I Am

6 hours ago, stroppyse said:

Oooh. Prompt #11!

I liked the development Lee Jae Wook's character Jang Wook in AoS was taking, right until I dropped the drama.

I too enjoy the development of Jang Wook's character in AoS. His character has grown so much and PArt two of AoS is kinda dark. I too dropped it but the first two episode of Aos part 2 seems promising. 

I need to think some more on Promt 11

Under the Queen's Umbrella

Prince Muan - - small character growth

Prince Seongmin -- Big growth

King Lee Ho - -  small growth due to his wife standing by his side

Maid's Revenge

Dong Ting Yao - - Bad ass rich Madame

• Like 4
  • Clapping Hands 1

Favorite Favorite Artist  Bae Doona, Moon Chae Won, Gong Hyo Jin, Cho Seung Woo, Jang Hyuk,, Jo In Sung,  Gong Yoo

Drama watching now: Plot Love,  Chimera ,The Psychologist, Always have,Always will , Show Windows: Queens House

7 hours ago, stroppyse said:

Hahaha! I couldn't stop laughing reading that part. To be honest, I am a bit curious about season one, but I cannot bring myself to watch it. The curiosity is not enough to want to sit through all of that. 

7 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

Why aren't you both watching this? Every episode has been very engaging and strong so far with excellent acting.

I really do not have a valid excuse to not watch this. The only thing I've said to others is that I don't want to watch a drama about chaebols right now. I'll possibly pick it up later when I want to watch wealthy people drama. :laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
9 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

Reborn Rich

For great characterisation: Jin Yang Chul by Lee Sung Min. I think a lot of it comes from how awesome Lee Sung Min plays the character. He is in no way a likable person but you cannot help but admire his business skills and respect him for his achievements. @Tofu @stroppyse Why aren't you both watching this? Every episode has been very engaging and strong so far with excellent acting.

It's on my list, but honestly, my thinking is probably similar to @Tofu's. I didn't want to watch a drama about people with money and people wanting money and people scheming to get money. Especially given that it's Commercial Grift Season right now, I find myself short of both time to try to make things for people and money to get people gifts that they may really want. I suppose I could just refuse to buy into it, but heck even Scrooge and the Grinch came around, so I don't want to be the wet blanket to friends and family who are into it.

I was hoping to have a couple of days off at the end of the year and binge it, because I recognize that anything with SJK and LSM has got to be good!

1 hour ago, Tofu said:

Hahaha! I couldn't stop laughing reading that part. To be honest, I am a bit curious about season one, but I cannot bring myself to watch it. The curiosity is not enough to want to sit through all of that. 

Just being honest. Once they telegraphed the whole MD/NS body/soul swapping thing but it didn't make much logical sense with the rest of their world, I figured it would be a lot of angst and pain, but I would be too annoyed by the illogic of it all that I wouldn't even be able to immerse myself in that.

It's not that I expect a fantasy drama to be realistic, however, the writers are the ones who create the world and give us examples that are supposed to show how this world works. If they then immediately start making so many exceptions to it that it loses any plot tension or point, it just seems to me that the story will be randomly making points that they want to make, whether it makes sense or not, for the sake of the hook, the twist, or the emotion. However, I'll be too annoyed by it for there to be any emotional payoff or satisfaction at that point.

• Like 3
  • Clapping Hands 2

@Tofuand @stroppyse

If Reborn Rich was just about rich people plotting and scheming against each other, I would have dropped it like a hot potato a long time ago. :D It's much more than that. And contrary to what most people think, it's probably not a revenge story either although there are crime elements in it. There's a historical depth to this that doesn't usually come packaged with this kind of drama. I think it's much more like a sageuk to be frank than a makjang. Technically it is a sageuk. And it has much more in common with something like this year's Red Heart or Under the Queen's Umbrella.

I didn't really take to The King: Eternal Monarch so I don't think you're missing a whole lot. It was obvious to me by Episode 3 that the writer had no understanding of how parallel universes should play out and that there were far too many characters and backstories that weren't needed for a show of this nature. In the end I didn't feel the need to continue. And frankly speaking, I was bored. 

I dropped Alchemy of Souls after 5 episodes. It did nothing for me. I thought the premise was ridiculous and while the whole thing was a homage to the wuxia sub-genre, the writers didn't really understand what makes wuxia so beloved. Of course the hero's journey is an ancient storytelling structure which explains its popularity.

@abs-oluteMThe reason why I didn't pick My Liberation Notes even though it is my favourite this year... so far... is because that drama is an exception rather than the rule. It is a great drama that takes risks and respects the audience which doesn't characterize the year of K dramas for me. Sadly. 

Is there a drama character that people thought had great characterization or growth? 

All the good dramas this year had great characters. In fact I would go so far to say that great dramas are memorable because of the characters. 

Song Ha-young from Through the Darkness is a man who wrestles with having face to face contact with serial killers. Kim Nam-gil gives a terrific understated performance and we can see his struggle all throughout.

While I think Lee Sung-min is terrific in Reborn Rich, I love his performance in Shadow Detective much more. Kim Taek-rok is such a fascinating study of a man struggling with his conscience. He's a conscientious everyman who is world-weary soul.

Of course Son Suk-koo as Mr Gu in My LIberation Notes. He's such a unique figure in K dramas. Barely says a thing and it is really up to Son Suk-koo to bring his A game to open him up to the audience in surprising ways. He should at least be nominated for a Baeksang.

I also loved Lee Min-gi's Chang-hee. At first I thought that his role was to make us laugh but his growth arc was something special after he discovered Mr Gu's Rolls Royce. Then he became the de facto head of his family..

So many great characters from Love Like the Galaxy as well. Of course Wu Lei's Ling Buyi was my favourite.

Jang Hyuk's Park Gye-won was also a great character. At first he seemed like a villain. But he really wasn't. He was a true patriot. Kang Ha-na finally got her lead role and it was a good one too that gave her a chance to shine.

I am really enjoying Kim Hye-soo's Queen even if she's a little too perfect in some ways. She's the quintessential Mother set in opposition to the Queen Dowager.

I thought Jung Ryeo-won's Chak-hee had a fantastic growth arc in May It Please the Court. She went from being a corporate shark to passionate public defender over the course of the show in a very convincing way.

I'm still of two minds if I love Choi Do-il from Little Women mainly because of Wi Ha-joon's nuanced performance or whether he is actually quite well written. My interim conclusion is that it is both. Do-il is a well-defined character in the script and he comes across as being something of an antihero but Wi Ha-joon's performance ensures that he doesn't come across as cold or aloof. There's a sweetness and tenderness in his delivery that's very charming.

• Like 3
  • Clapping Hands 2

Currently Watching: Queen of Tears, In Blossom

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

On 12/14/2022 at 4:33 AM, Tofu said:

This is me as well with season 1. Everything looks so ridiculous that I didn't want to invest my time in it but I was still curious. So I'd FF through it or read some posts appearing on my TL. But season 2 I really love the visual of LJW and GYJ. @stroppyse LJW looks gorgeous in S2. @Tofu is in love now. :laugh:

On 12/14/2022 at 4:33 AM, Tofu said:

I really do not have a valid excuse to not watch this. The only thing I've said to others is that I don't want to watch a drama about chaebols right now. I'll possibly pick it up later when I want to watch wealthy people drama.

On 12/14/2022 at 5:40 AM, stroppyse said:

It's on my list, but honestly, my thinking is probably similar to @Tofu's. I didn't want to watch a drama about people with money and people wanting money and people scheming to get money. Especially given that it's Commercial Grift Season right now, I find myself short of both time to try to make things for people and money to get people gifts that they may really want. I suppose I could just refuse to buy into it, but heck even Scrooge and the Grinch came around, so I don't want to be the wet blanket to friends and family who are into it.

I was hoping to have a couple of days off at the end of the year and binge it, because I recognize that anything with SJK and LSM has got to be good!

Like 40somethingahjumma said, it's much more than just chaebol and their ridiculous first world issue (e.g., Heirs). It's not makjang either (thank god!). It's a very clever drama where both characters played by SJK and LSM use their wit to overcome obstacles and challenges thrown at them. And I'm just really intrigued what history will be incorporated into the drama and how SJK will use it to his advantage. My background is not business/finance so I'm not 100% aware of what damage such and such incident could cause to the stock market or the economy and through this drama, I learnt a little about it (although I'm sure I'll forget it after hahahaha, but that's not the point).

So yes! Please do take some time to check it out. Really don't want you guys to miss a good show and performance!

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Clapping Hands 1
15 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

If Reborn Rich was just about rich people plotting and scheming against each other, I would have dropped it like a hot potato a long time ago. :D It's much more than that. And contrary to what most people think, it's probably not a revenge story either although there are crime elements in it. There's a historical depth to this that doesn't usually come packaged with this kind of drama. I think it's much more like a sageuk to be frank than a makjang. Technically it is a sageuk. And it has much more in common with something like this year's Red Heart or Under the Queen's Umbrella.

10 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

Like 40somethingahjumma said, it's much more than just chaebol and their ridiculous first world issue (e.g., Heirs). It's not makjang either (thank god!). It's a very clever drama where both characters played by SJK and LSM use their wit to overcome obstacles and challenges thrown at them. And I'm just really intrigued what history will be incorporated into the drama and how SJK will use it to his advantage. My background is not business/finance so I'm not 100% aware of what damage such and such incident could cause to the stock market or the economy and through this drama, I learnt a little about it (although I'm sure I'll forget it after hahahaha, but that's not the point).

You both make such a good case for this drama! I'll make time this week to start this drama and post my thoughts to the thread. I have a feeling I'm going to fall in love with this drama as well. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Clapping Hands 1
  • Party! 1
47 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

You both make such a good case for this drama! I'll make time this week to start this drama and post my thoughts to the thread. I have a feeling I'm going to fall in love with this drama as well. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on it.

Haha, I know! I feel like we have to watch it now. 

@mademoiselle @40somethingahjumma How many episodes are out so far for Reborn Rich and how many does the drama have altogether?

23 hours ago, stroppyse said:

Just being honest. Once they telegraphed the whole MD/NS body/soul swapping thing but it didn't make much logical sense with the rest of their world, I figured it would be a lot of angst and pain, but I would be too annoyed by the illogic of it all that I wouldn't even be able to immerse myself in that.

It's not that I expect a fantasy drama to be realistic, however, the writers are the ones who create the world and give us examples that are supposed to show how this world works. If they then immediately start making so many exceptions to it that it loses any plot tension or point, it just seems to me that the story will be randomly making points that they want to make, whether it makes sense or not, for the sake of the hook, the twist, or the emotion. However, I'll be too annoyed by it for there to be any emotional payoff or satisfaction at that point.

Nothing made sense to me in S2 because I did not watch S1, but it seems like it didn't make sense in S1 either. Haha! The other fantasy K-Drama I watched (Bulgasal) was also really bad at world building. However, things did make a little bit of sense when everything was revealed at the end, which doesn't seem like that happened in Alchemy. I wished writers would do a more research (reading fantasy books, consulting with writers who writes fantasy stories, etc.) before they release a project. 

I did watched all of Lee Jae Wook's scenes in the first two episodes of S2 and he was great. I loved every scene he was in. He's super handsome and I can get behind his styling in S2. I also think the chemistry between his FL in S2 is slightly better than his chemistry with the FL in S1 (at least from the clips I saw of him with the FL in S1). 

• Like 4
  • Party! 1
10 hours ago, Tofu said:

I did watched all of Lee Jae Wook's scenes in the first two episodes of S2 and he was great. I loved every scene he was in. He's super handsome and I can get behind his styling in S2. I also think the chemistry between his FL in S2 is slightly better than his chemistry with the FL in S1 (at least from the clips I saw of him with the FL in S1). 

I agree with this statement. Jang Guk is cute and sexy this season. I love the fact that he is smart and cautious. His chemistry with the FL is just so cute. I enjoy it when he is flustered or shocked by FL actions. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Tofu said:

Haha, I know! I feel like we have to watch it now. 

@mademoiselle @40somethingahjumma How many episodes are out so far for Reborn Rich and how many does the drama have altogether?

11 out of 16 are out.

It's a really well-written show and you won't regret watching it. 

• Like 4

Currently Watching: Queen of Tears, In Blossom

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

Oh! I missed the next question!

11. Is there a drama character that people thought had great characterization or growth?

2022's Through the Darkness gave us Song Hayoung, who we watch overcome his painful reticence to confront the terrible darkness of depraved souls he pursues, breaking down in the process, and finally getting up and doing it all over again, with the realisation that he is not alone, but has the unswerving support of his team and fellow colleagues.

But most memorable for me overall would be Misaeng - the growth of the interns in One International as they weather knocks, heartache, even blows to their egos to find their own footing, values and position both in the workplace, and also in life. They, along with the mentors and managers, keep me cheering for them, celebrating every little victory, crying over every setback, and so inordinately proud at where they are when the curtain finally falls.

Edited by liddi
  • Like 5

Signal, Thank You, Missing:The Other Side, Children of Nobody, Misaeng, Tree with Deep Roots, Story of a Man

步步惊心, 长相思, 琅琊榜之风起长林, 平凡的荣耀, 大鱼海棠, 九州缥缈录, 风声, 剑雨

Ice Kacang Puppy Love, Garden of Evening Mists

Mother, 空から降る一億の星, Ouroboros

I was a little bit behind but I'll try to answer the rest of the prompts

4. Drama that made me feel disappointed

- Cafe Minamdang, The Golden Spoon, Love is For Suckers. Those are just several that I could remember the reason. There might be another but I forgot about why so I didn't put it on the list.

5. Actor/Actress I came to love in 2022

Hmm love is a strong word. Rather than love, I will list the actor/actress that caught my attention with their performance

- Kim Tae Ri : I've heard a lot about her performance as actress before 25 21 but because I've never watched her previous work, I am really amazed with how she portrayed and brought alive Na Hee Do characters into live. 

- Moon Sang Min : This rookie actor really did a great job among the amazing senior casts. He could shine whenever it's his screen time and whenever he has to act together with his seniors, he could do it quite well and didn't give the rookie vibe, but almost an experienced actor. 

6. Characters that made me laugh

- Na Hee Do (25 21): she made me laugh with how real she was in her youth days. Hyping about comics, about her favourite stickers from the bread and about her wild imagination. 

- Couple Lee Yoon Jae and Shim Hae Joon (It's Beautiful Now) : They are really the source of comedy in the long drama. They gave a little light when the drama is too dark or heavy. I was really looking forward for their scenes whenever the other couples or family problems were rising back then. 

7. Character(s) that made me want to throw things

- Queen Dowager Jo (Under the Queen's Umbrella): My goodness her character was just evil and selfish... She tried to make things happened according to her wishes without even thinking the victim is related to her by blood or not. 

- Female lead in Cafe Minamdang (I forgot her character name lol) : One part of the reason I stopped watching and just followed the rest of drama by reading reviews and recaps was because of her. Her character has no development imo and rather than helping the investigation, sometimes she was a hindrance. 

8. Drama that I don't plan to watch t grateful that I did.

Hmm I don't think it's to the extent of feeling grateful, but at least I did enjoy while watching it.

- J dorama Silent, because of @Tofuwho was patient enough in answering my questions about spoilers

- Poong, the Joseon Psychiatrist, I really just randomly checking this out and without I realized I watched it until the end and now waiting for the second season ( I still don't see how necessary for the second season)

9. Actor/Actress I am waiting for in 2023

Hmmm I chose watching drama mostly because of the plots now. While I do see who the actor and actress, I didn't have any particular preference for 2023. 

10. Drama that define me in 2022

This past year was really not an easy one. Many things happened. More on the bad parts and probably just small parts that I could say it's a good one. So I quite relate with the lines in My liberation notes. Finding 5 minutes of joy a day, something that adds up slowly by little seconds of joy over time. And that’s how to survive the day and finding another 5 minutes for the next day and keep doing that. Times then will pass and another day will come and so on. 

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 5

Currently Watching List:

K-drama: The Real Has Come, See You in My 19th Life 

K-variety: 

On 12/16/2022 at 7:32 AM, LaLa said:

- Couple Lee Yoon Jae and Shim Hae Joon (It's Beautiful Now) : They are really the source of comedy in the long drama. They gave a little light when the drama is too dark or heavy. I was really looking forward for their scenes whenever the other couples or family problems were rising back then. 

Yes, I LOVED this couple, and they made me stick with the drama until the end. Though the scenes that were best was when it was this couple plus Yoon Shi Yoon. The three of them just had this relaxed, teasing vibe where they seemed like old friends who gave as good as they got, but always with an underlying sense of warmth and caring in their banter even when they were snarking on each other.

- Queen Dowager Jo (Under the Queen's Umbrella): My goodness her character was just evil and selfish... She tried to make things happened according to her wishes without even thinking the victim is related to her by blood or not. 

Yes, she tried to kill her own grandson! I had a bit of a cackle when she realized that Prince Ui Seong was not her blood grandson after all, and that his mother had passed off another man's son as the king's son, and he is the one she had been trying to put on the throne. Then again, in true evil fashion, she probably wouldn't have cared as long as she could hold the reins of power more firmly in her grasp since she couldn't control any of the other princes.

This past year was really not an easy one. Many things happened. More on the bad parts and probably just small parts that I could say it's a good one.

I'm sorry to hear that 2022 was such a rough year for you. I hope that the next year will be one that brings more joys than sorrows or hardships.

• Like 3
  • Party! 1

Merry-Christmas-23.gif

hai to all of you, k-dramas lovers, wishing all those who celebrate a blessed and Merry Christmas. may the gifts of love and happiness be yours this season.  'Ho Ho Ho It's Christmas Time'. may this holiday season bring you happiness, joy and make spending time with family and relatives.

here's looking at actor Park Bo Gum participated in writing the lyrics for “Happy Merry Christmas” which describes about the joyful feelings of the holidays and expresses hope for laughter, wishes and happiness for others.

• Like 2

CurrentlyLiesGrden•CYouIn19thLif•Battle4HappinssWaitingRvenant•Heartb•NumbersFinishedBingeWatchingRace•B.Knight•GloryIIDaily•2D1NS4•RunMan

• 6 months later...

I am not a veteran watcher, unluckily. So I don't recognize most of kdrama, whether short or long. But sometimes I come across good drama that is rerun at KBSWORLD. The drama I watched was Naeil's Cantabile. It was suburb, so full of classical music. Right now, I am not following any drama. I am watching "Gone with the Wind" for the tenth time, maybe lol. I am also trying to learn a bit of Korean again. My parents death was so painful for me, I got totally shaken. I am trying to collect myself,

Spoiler

I read in the holy Qur'an and I pray in the mosque as much as I can. Not easy.

I really hope I am not getting out of the subject.

Edited by Nohamahmoud2002
  • Like 1
  • Insightful 1