You know it's been a full on year when I haven't posted anything by BTS in over a month! However, they've been putting plenty out, so hope everyone is getting their Bangtan Boys fixes!

The Boys just did their MTV Unplugged set (with a recovered Suga!), and it was as amazing as always, but even better since it brought their vocals to the forefront to show how well they sang, harmonized, and ad-libbed through their songs.

It was a 5 song set, for anyone who hasn't watched it yet:

Telepathy - Suga's song about coping while being separated from the one you want to be with

Blue & Grey - V's song of loss and desolation

Fix You - an emotional cover of the Coldplay classic. The Rap Line provides bass harmonies to the Vocal Line!

Life Goes On - sung to a backing live band with flowing harmonies on display

Dynamite - also to the backing live band, this version with even more joy and ad-libs

The performances were released to YouTube, but if you can catch the whole performance you should as the boys talk between each of the songs, sharing insights, feelings, and thoughts.

• Party! 1

I keep watching the BTS Unplugged performances over and over again, and I'm carried away every time. All of those harmonies running through each song, though Fix You is the one that fascinates me most, probably because of the Rap Line singing the low harmonies to the Vocal Line's soaring vocals. I even love that they mix and match the harmony line ups so that Suga supports V's vocals, then later Jin's vocals, for instance. I already knew that J-Hope is actually a good singer, and that RM has been underpinning his vocals to his bandmates on the English portions of songs, but it's nice to hear the Rap Line's vocals so clearly in this song. And, of course, the Vocal Line are outrageous with their voices soaring and dipping, playful and plaintive as they need be. Don't miss the 3 part harmony with RM, Jin, and Jimin at 2:49. It works beautifully.

I love the album BE, and I loved the songs Telepathy and Blue&Grey, but even more now. I expect Telepathy will be running through my head again for a long, long while.

Tagging @Tofu who shares a bit of my fangirling for BTS so that she'll watch the clips, if she hasn't already.

• Party! 1

Thanks for posting the vids of the final 2 songs. The video I posted was originally put out by MTV Brasil, so I figured it would get blocked in the US sooner or later.

The thing I love about BTS performing Dynamite is that every time they perform it, they can barely keep themselves from jumping up and dancing to it. I heard that the original choreo was a lot of freestyling as well, so perhaps that enthusiasm just bubbles over whenever they sing the song? And, I love this version that they did for unplugged because they clearly love it and are comfortable with it, so that each member is fine singing their parts, but also singing along to the rest of it, and jumping in with an ad-lib yell or bit of harmonization as they want to.

As for Fix You, I could go on and on about it, but I think I already did, so I'll stop.

I hope that they put out an EP of the Unplugged Session. I would so totally buy it.

• Like 1

Blue & Grey is my favorite song from their BE album and I've watched the Unplugged performance for it a few times now. Haha! Outside of this performance, I've watched Fix You a few times now too. This song is hands down my favorite song in the world. I can't explain what this song does and means to me so it's nice to hear that this is one of their favorite songs too. Completely agreed that the harmonizing from the rap line was amazing! 

28 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

The thing I love about BTS performing Dynamite is that every time they perform it, they can barely keep themselves from jumping up and dancing to it.

You can't even blame them too because as I'm listening to it, I am moving around in my chair too. It's a song that you just have to dance to. :laugh:

I'm not into fashion or anything like that but I'm around a lot of people that are so I was able to recognize some of the pieces they were wearing in their videos. If anyone is curious, they are as followed: 

• Telepathy: Gucci x Donald Duck Collection
  • Blue & Grey and Fix You: Thom Browne 
  • Life Goes On: Ralph Lauren 
  • Dynamite: Dior 

Here's an article from Variety that recapped their time on Unplugged:

Watch BTS Bring ‘Be’ to ‘MTV Unplugged’

By Jeff Benjamin

The pandemic has led artists to find different ways to bring their music to audiences, and for their debut appearance on the long-running “MTV Unplugged” series, the K-pop septet of BTS — RM, Jin, Suga, J-Hope, Jimin, V and Jungkook —transformed their stadium-filling showmanship into something more intimate.

Opening the show inside a game room set filled with vintage arcade games and retro MTV logos, BTS began with “Telepathy,” a standout from their latest album “Be,” marking the first live performance of the track. While the pandemic has forced many bandmembers to perform from separate locations or in makeshift sets and stages, all seven of the BTS members’ vocals were on full display for the performance.

Also in line with “Unplugged” tradition, the group shared commentary and stories in between songs speaking in both English and Korean. “It’s really an honor to be part of the MTV Unplugged legacy where so many legends have performed,” BTS leader RM told viewers. “We’re deeply thankful.”

After recognizing Suga was back performing with the band after recovering from a 2020 shoulder surgery (“It’s been a while since I’ve been onstage, and I missed it a lot,” the rapper said), V introduced another “Be” track, “Blue & Grey,” that transported the guys into an aesthetic greenhouse setting to perform the acoustic-pop cut, as the Seoul sun set behind them.

And of course, the group made sure to call out their fans — the “ARMY” — often. “I tried to express my inner sadness and uncertainly, so I translated the feeling of burning out as ‘blue’ and the sadness of not being able to see ARMY as ‘grey,'” V explained of the song, which he co-produced and co-wrote. “The melody of the song is simple, so I paid closer attention to delivering emotions through the lyrics.”

Jungkook added that “All the songs on our album are special to us. We don’t get many chances to perform our b-side tracks besides at our concert so we’re thrilled to perform them on MTV Unplugged.”

The group jumped into a surprise cover of Coldplay’s 2005 single “Fix You,” known to be one of the group’s favorite songs, which Jimin said has given them comfort throughout the pandemic. With the members seated on stools, BTS displayed their strong harmonies as the group’s trio of rappers (RM, Suga and J-Hope) offered rich, bassy notes to back the impassioned performance from the vocal line (Jin, Jimin, V and Jungkook). A highlight of the performance saw RM, Jin, and Jimin pull off a three-part harmony note with ease.

Before closing out the show with a pair of their No. 1 singles, BTS shared some heartfelt goodbyes and reflections with viewers.

“We were supposed to show you these stages at a live concert, so we’re sorry we had to do it remotely, but hope many of you still enjoyed it,” Suga said before J-Hope added, “We wait for the day when we can sing for you in person. We will do our best until then. We love you.”

Jimin offered some personal reflections about his experiences as an artist and person through coronavirus concerns. “I think many of us are spending time thinking, ‘What am I doing?'” the vocalist-dancer shared. “This situation where we can’t see each other is very difficult for us and makes us question what we’re doing. However, we have one another so I hope we can keep moving, without giving up. We always appreciate and love you, ARMY.”

The septet was joined by a live band consisting of a guitarist, bassist, keyboardist, and drummer to close out the set with the 2020 hits “Life Goes On” and “Dynamite.” The former again highlighted the group’s grip on harmonies while the latter was slightly reworked, as the signature pop hit featured additional ad-libs from the group.

The 30-minute, five-song show was a compact showcase of BTS as performers and storytellers in another key display of why the Korean act has been able to cross language and cultural boundaries.

https://variety.com/2021/music/news/bts-coldplay-mtv-unplugged-1234913661/

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Yay! BTS will perform their own song at the Grammy's this year!

At last year's Grammy's when they performed with Lil Nas, they mentioned that their wish was to be able to perform one of their own songs at the Grammy's. Even if it's a virtual event, BTS is getting their wish! So happy for them, and can't wait to see them on stage again!

• Party! 1

MusiCares is the charity arm for the Grammy organization, and they held a virtual concert today to raise money for all the musicians and support who are suffering during this pandemic. BTS performed in the virtual concert. This is the video of BTS performing "Dynamite". As always, it's a fun song that makes the guys and us want to get up and dance. However, there is a surprise in this video. JungKook plays the drums! Enjoy!

And, let's all hope that BTS takes the Grammy as best pop group performance on Sunday! Can't wait to see their Grammy performance as well.

• Like 1

The guys didn't win the Grammy for Dynamite this year. It was a total shame, and then the show had the nerve to leave BTS' performance near the last, probably to keep ARMY watching anyway. Not that BTS needs any award show to validate them or anything, not when they literally can move the world!

Still, to celebrate BTS' nomination for a Grammy, there are BTS badges for sale in the Member Shop! Thanks @Tofu!

Have to go and listen to BE again now.

• Like 1

@TofuWow! Thanks for tagging meeee here! Sorry for flooding your twitter timeline of my BTS  Grammy tweets yesterday! LOL! And i dont think i have enough points to get a badge...i am just a little disappointed yesterday bec i knew from the start that Grammys will do that to BTS..Anyways they got another an award from Nickelodeon Kids’ Choice Awards.

• Like 1
  • Party! 1
15 hours ago, Hyacinth0910 said:

@TofuWow! Thanks for tagging meeee here! Sorry for flooding your twitter timeline of my BTS  Grammy tweets yesterday! LOL! And i dont think i have enough points to get a badge...i am just a little disappointed yesterday bec i knew from the start that Grammys will do that to BTS..Anyways they got another an award from Nickelodeon Kids’ Choice Awards.

Hahahaha!! BTS is really the only KPOP group I follow so I welcome all and everything BTS related. 

@stroppyse and I think that they probably just added BTS for the hype because we could not understand how the other people won. I was a little baffled by it. 

I donated enough points to you so you can get a BTS badge. We only have a few BTS lovers on this forum so we have to spread the love through our badges. LOL!

• Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

Hi @Hyacinth0910, welcome to JangHaven and the BTS thread! It's true that @Tofuand I seem to be the primary spazzers about BTS, so it's nice to see you here.

Honestly, I was so disappointed that the guys didn't win, even though I wasn't actually expecting them to win since they tend to go for safer choices. Just because BTS is the biggest group on the planet, keeping themselves engaged with their fans, even during this pandemic and somehow doing almost as many virtual concerts and performances, each with its own innovative productions, as they were able to tour while putting out an entire new album, this apparently is not enough for them to take the Best Pop Group Performance award. Though, the Grammy's seemed more than happy to use BTS' performance to get more viewers for their broadcast.

• Like 1

Btw, I couldn't believe how elaborate BTS was in recreating the LA venue. Honestly, it wasn't until they were on the rooftop and I saw the Han River behind them that I realized that they weren't in LA. I thought LA was a little quiet with respect to ARMY, though I had heard rumors that BTS was going to be live in person for their performance. Anyway, here is a video of their Grammy performance, and as I said, performance-wise, I really don't think that anyone else can touch them in terms of how detailed and different each production is right now. If anything, I think having BTS' performances causes other performers to up their production values, but that's just IMHO.

• Heart Eyes 1
  • 1 month later...

Did you happen to catch BTS' Bang Bang Con 21 where they streamed 3 of their past concerts? I caught a little bit of it, but wasn't able to watch the whole thing.  :jinbtscry:

Still, some of my favorite cuts, though not sure how long these videos will stay up on YT.

"Fire"

"Spring Day"

You know, the more I listen to and watch "Spring Day" being performed, the more I wonder if j-hope was sick or something while they were recording the song? I really can't hear hobi's voice on the studio track, though I can see that he has significant stanzas during the performances. Anyway, I do prefer it with j-hope's parts as well.

"GO GO"

And, I wanted to add that I LOVE their concert footage! They always seem to be having so much fun with each other as well as loving their interactions with their fans. I hope to see them live on stage some day!

• Like 1
On 4/17/2021 at 10:46 PM, stroppyse said:

And, yet, I still don't have an ARMY bomb... It's why I'm jealous of @Tofuwho does have an ARMY bomb.

You need to get one even if you don't use it like me. LOL!!

Thanks for the performance videos! I'll have to watch it when I have some free time. I love all of their songs, but I do have to say, I'm not too familiar with their songs right when they debut. 

• Like 1

Some teasers for their new Map of the Soul ON:E concept photo book. These short films are beautiful in their own right. Wonder if they would be interested in selling the NFT's for these.

Jung Kook backed by an instrumental of his single "My Time" from Map of the Soul: 7 album.

V with an instrumental of "Inner Child"

Jimin posing to an instrumental of "Filter"

Jin with an instrumental of "Moon"

Suga with the intro to "Interlude: Shadow"

RM with "Persona"

J-Hope with the closing song to MOTS:7, one of my personal favorites "Outro: Ego"

And, of course, one of the guys all together to "We Are Bulletproof: the Eternal" which can still bring me to tears.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

So not sure if the other booking numbers mean anything, but caught V saying that he chose "000001" because he wanted the song to be #1, and j-hope saying that he chose "660660" because it's basically "bbo-bbo" which means "kiss" in Korean.

And, I just went awwwwww. These guys.

Hope everyone is enjoying and grooving to their new single "Butter"!

• Like 1

Okay, now I have to know what the significance of the mugshot numbers are:

edit: Found the V-live video where they're talking about it and listened more carefully this time as they were talking about their mugshot numbers

Both Jin and Suga claimed that they just randomly tapped their phones to generate their 6 numbers. Suga was going to try to make it meaningful, but thought it would be too obvious.

But, JK and RM had made their numbers more meaningful.

V originally said that 000001 was a meaningful command in Cyworld, but then changed his mind to say that it was really because he wanted it to be #1.

So, to recap:

V - 000001 - to be #1

j-hope - 660660 - kiss

Jimin - 141018 - BTS' first concert on October 18, 2014

Suga - 384627 - random

JK - 110604 - the date he moved into the BH dorms, so June 4, 2011

Jin - 655212 - random

RM - 201904 - the old address of a place he used to live

Of course, it would be the 2 hyungs who would just RNG their numbers. LOL. Still, thought it was cute.

• Like 1