• 1 month later...

I was thinking about how the guys in BTS have grown and matured over the years, but especially during this pandemic. Their earlier songs were standard k-pop fare, about girls, about being guys.

They explored themselves stylistically, going from mostly hip hop to more melodic fare, yet still keeping within a kpop frame - catchy music, tight choreography.

Yet, they go beyond just issues about girls and hormones, and share some of their uncertainties, fears, and misgivings as they expand their musical styles.

In a way, Map of the Soul 7 seemed like an end of a chapter for them. The most stylistically free and cinematic of their albums to date, mixing and experimenting with both visual and musical motifs and genres, it felt as if it were a culmination of their road thus far. Jin would soon be going to do his military service as well, followed by the other guys, so this album felt triumphant with a touch of bittersweet.

Then came the pandemic...  the guys were tossed into the same quagmire of confusion and interruption as the rest of us. However, after some time out for reflection and regrouping, BTS decided that what the world needed most now was some hope to hold onto. And, in order to spread their message as widely as possible, they finally chose to sing in the de facto lingua franca of the world, English, singing about being young, being together, and still having a world to live in and experience joy.

However, they also put out an album BE which was a reflection on what they had gone through together, both highs and lows. My favorite from this album is not the infectious Dynamite or the accepting Life Goes On or the facing their fears Blue and Grey. Rather, it's Telepathy which talks about being apart and yet still being together.

So, I suppose BTS is in a new phase of their careers, as they pick up more fans (and unfortunately more-antis as well), they are both representatives of their generation who refuse to stay in the boxes that others may place them in or to stay quiet, but also their oracles, promising that the future is still there and the future is still ours. So Love Myself and keep dancing.

I think one of the many reasons I love BTS is that they somehow manage to stay humble and truly appreciative of their fan base. It was apparent even in their off hand comments at one of their early US award shows where they acknowledge that the reason that they are even there is because of their exuberant fan base.

If you think about it, other teams probably work as hard as BTS does, possibly even harder, and suffer through a lot to try to reach some level of success. However, it was BTS who broke through to the global consciousness and even to the world's mainstream markets. Of course, it's more than just a loyal fanbase which a lot of other teams have as well.  I think it's also attributable to the fact that BTS has some of the most relatable songs and their conscious decision to make their songs even more accessible to the non-Korean market.

And, it's that accessibility, both through their music and their personal selves. They genuinely seem to like and care for each other. And, through it all, they stay humble and awed by their own successes, and appreciative of ARMY who got them there. Because if the fans aren't buying it, none of it would happen.

This is their emotional acceptance speech for winning Artist of the Year at the AMAs.

Permission to Dance on Stage in LA was a fantastic concert! There are plenty of fancams on Youtube, so everyone should go check them out.

The guys came on stage multiple times to thank ARMY, tell them how much they missed them and how they couldn't believe that it was finally happening, the chance to see and perform for ARMY face to face.

They started with 'ON', then went for nearly 3 hours, finishing with 'Permission to Dance'. This concert was definitely a love letter to ARMY with plenty of throwbacks.

Jin had his pink mic back! Plus they did a number of their older hits including 'Fire', 'Dope', 'Idol', and a medley of others, including 'Airport Pt 2', 'Save Me', 'I Need U'.

But honestly, it was more than that it was a fantastic, high energy show full of love calls to ARMY who loved them right back. The boys were having fun, playing around, loving each other and their fans, so happy to be there.

Also, V had a recent injury to his leg it seems, though he mentioned that he hardly noticed it when he was performing on stage. JK actually hurt himself during the performance, playing around on then falling from a giant rubber ball. He mentioned in a VLive later that he didn't realize that he hurt until much later when he was going back to the hotel.

It was also an emotional show, Jimin seemed to be in tears at one point. Suga had the most poignant sentiment of the evening though. He said that it hit him as they were mid-way through their set list that this is who he was and what he was meant to do.

The Maknae Line didn't seem to want to go to bed, still on a post-concert adrenaline high, even though they had an early day starting with interviews, plus another concert tonight. Tae Tae did a VLive on his Bora Bora V Bora channel with guests Jimin and JK where they were just fooling around, being a bit giggly and sweet.

I love BTS!

• Like 1

Really wishing that I had the time and money to go to each day of their PTD Concert on Stage in LA! I appreciate that BTS changed their set list just a bit to make sure that each day's audience felt special. However, it's not just changing some of the songs on set list, it's actually restyling some of their performances to make it fresh and different. I mean, who does that for consecutive night shows? No wonder it feels so special to be ARMY!

So, on Day 2, they did 'Butter featuring Megan Thee Stallion'. Yay! She finally made it to the show to do the performance with them on stage. Also, they dropped 'I Need U' and performed 'I'm Fine' instead. The ending section has the biggest change. Instead of 'Answer: Love Myself' and 'We Are Bulletproof: The Eternal', they performed 'Young Forever' and 'Spring Day'. 'Spring Day' is one of my absolute favorite songs of all time, so I wish I could have heard it live, but I think I'm just being too greedy now.

So, here is the Set List for Day 1:

ON
Fire
Dope
DNA
Blue & Grey
Black Swan
Blood, Sweat & Tears
Fake Love
Life Goes On
Boy With Luv
Dynamite
Butter
Airplane Pt 2
Baepsae
Dis-ease
Telepathy
Stay
So What
I Need U
Save Me
IDOL
We Are Bulletproof: The Eternal
Answer: Love Myself
Permission to Dance

And, here is the set list for Day 2:

On
Fire
Dope
DNA
Blue & Grey
Black Swan
Blood, Sweat & Tears
Fake Love
Life Goes On
Boy With Luv
Dynamite
Butter feat Megan Thee Stallion
Airplane Pt. 2
Baepsae
Dis-ease
Telepathy
Stay
So What
Save Me
I’m Fine
IDOL
Young Forever
Spring Day
Permission to Dance

Can't wait to see what Days 3 and 4 will produce!

• Like 1

With each concert, the guys seem to become more relaxed and playful. It's fun and lovely to see. Their set changed again slightly, though still with all of our favorites! Then again, are there any that aren't favorites?

Also, in response to Jin dressing up like the children's schoolbook girl character Younghee, V ended up dressing as a minion from Squid Game. :lmao2:

Set List for Concert 3 at Sofi Stadium

ON
Fire
Dope
DNA
Blue & Grey
Black Swan
Blood, Sweat & Tears
Fake Love
Life Goes On
Boy With Luv
Dynamite
Butter
Airplane Pt. 2
Baepsae
Dis-ease
Telepathy
Stay
So What
I Need U
Save Me
IDOL
Spring Day
Answer: Love Myself
Permission to Dance

4th and Final Concert tonight! And, then we have to just hope that they will come back for another live performance. Maybe next year?

• Like 1

Every show was perfect, but they definitely went all out on the final show with nothing held back and nothing to leave in reserve! With each show, their nervousness and anxiety decreased as they felt in person the love that ARMY has for them and thus they were able to enjoy themselves more. The guys themselves commented on various V-Live how anxious and nervous they were before the first show, and how much calmer and more fun they were able to have by the final show. It's too bad that it was their final show, at least for now. Hopefully, the global pandemic will subside and BTS can be where they shine the brightest, performing for ARMY and representing their generation as well as their country and cultural heritage along with the multi-cultural influences that they draw from.

A slightly different set list for Day 4 as always. I admire that they can change elements of their show for every show that they did. Plus, some surprises. After the final army bomb wave that they ask for from ARMY near the end of each show, they had a surprise birthday event for Jin! ARMY had prepared hoodies for their army bombs to show in the shape of a crescent moon in support of Jin's solo song 'Moon' plus signs galore wishing him a happy birthday and a serenade of 'Happy Birthday' performed by ARMY. It was magical and Jin was clearly touched and happy. Via a translator, Jin remarked that he had hoped for an acknowledgement of some kind but since the show was nearly over, he thought that perhaps there wouldn't be anything after all. So, he was moved beyond words by ARMY and his fellow members in wishing him such an encompassing birthday wishes.

Also, after 'Permission to Dance' which has been their final encore song of the evenings in the previous 3 days, they had an extra special surprise. Chris Martin of Coldplay came out to perform 'My Universe' with BTS! I really wished I could have been there to watch that. It's difficult to see collaborations performed live, except in award shows maybe as the artists have to negotiate their schedules. So fantastic! Even cuter that in a V-Live afterward held by RM and JK, JK mentioned that 'My Universe' was the most demanding song for him in a way because they are jumping around all the time. In their more choreographed numbers, they have a number of rests and other movements built in, however, in 'My Universe', they are literally jumping through almost the entire song. :btsnamjoonlove::jkbtsthink:

Anyway, here is the Set List for their 4th and final concert for Permission to Dance on Stage in LA at Sofi Stadium. 

ON
Fire
Dope
Blue & Grey
Black Swan
Blood, Sweat & Tears
Fake Love
Life Goes On
Boy With Luv
Dynamite
Butter
Airplane Pt. 2
Baepsae
Dis-Ease
Telepathy
Stay
So What
I Need You
Save Me
IDOL
Home
Mikrokosmos
Permission to Dance
My Universe

I have to say that I love each and every song so much! Though, my personal faves from these set lists have to be 'Fire', 'Telepathy', 'Mikrokosmos', 'Spring Day', and 'Butter'. Miss them already! Time to go sign up for the re-watch streaming of the final concert! Go ARMY! Go BTS!

BTS at the Jingle Ball 2021 in LA where they opened the concert!

'Butter'

Wishing Jin a 'Happy Birthday'

Then the holiday version of 'Dynamite'

I hear the guys flew back to South Korea where they face brand new 10 day quarantine restrictions for overseas travelers. I guess they decided that since they have to quarantine for 10 days and thus missing the end of the year shows anyway, they might as well take a (much well deserved) extended rest as well and spend some time with family and other friends.

The only thing that kind of shocked me a bit was hearing that they were all going to have their own instagram accounts. It's not unreasonable or anything like that. It just seems to be a precursor to the day when BTS won't be BTS any more, and each member will forge his own way forward. I guess it happens to all groups really, at least until they become really old and hit the nostalgia tour (NKOTB or NSYNC anyone?), but still sad to think about the guys not being a family unit. If it hadn't been the military, it would have been something else, but I want to hold on to the guys for as long as I can, along with so many other ARMY since they've been the source of so much comfort and hope. I wish them all well, and will satisfy myself that there is at least most of next year before Jin gets dragged off to the military and it possibly starts to devolve into sub-unit or individual projects mostly.

I doubt that any of the guys will be away from us too long anyway. I read somewhere recently how all of them are insanely talented, and I happen to agree. They are the soundtrack of these turbulent times, giving us something to hold onto that is beautiful and true when there is so much uncertainty and chaos around us.

• Shocked 1

BTS won at the 2021 People's Choice Awards!

Best Group

Best Song - 'Butter'

Best Music Video - 'Butter'

So well deserved!

Also, not all the guys rushed back to SK as soon as the Jingle Ball was over after all. Rather, birthday boy Jin, Jimin, and JungKook went home first. However, V, Suga, j-hope, and RM seem to be taking their time going home, especially facing a mandatory quarantine and now having announced an extended break. j-hope just showed on his instagram story that he's flying home after taking a bit of time to roam. RM is having a blast touring a museum in western Texas and other locales. V posted some photos of his cutie pie Tan at home, so perhaps he did go home? And, not a peep about Suga so hope he's somewhere relaxing and having some fun and a well-deserved rest.

Also, I've updated the first post with their new individual instagram handles. However, for anyone who hasn't already followed their accounts:

RM   rkive

Jin   jin

Suga  agustd

j-hope  uarmyhope   (this breaks down to  'u ar my hope' so including both his tagline and army!)

Jimin  j.m

V   thv

JK  abcdefghi__lmnopqrstuvwxyz   (just LOL at this!)

• Shocked 1

WAITTTTTTTTTTTTT....I don't know how I feel about them having Instagram accounts, but I followed them anyway. :laugh:

My sister told me about BTS's lip mask collaboration with Amore Pacific. I jokingly said for her to buy it for me and she did! The scent is called Gummy Bear but it smells like grape soda. I'm sure it's like all the other lip mask from Amore Pacific/Laneige. I will never use this and only admire it from afar. LOL! 

1pwVJnY.jpg

• Haha 1

So, Tae Hyung, J-Hope, and RM have been the most prolific about posting to their instagram accounts so far.

However, I think it's kind of funny, sweet, and sad that having all this time to themselves, both Jin and JK have posted that they're bored. JK literally sings that he's so bored in an instagram story, and sings it beautifully, of course. However, how hard must they have been going all this time that they don't know what to do with themselves when they have a little bit of time alone? They may be "resting" but it feels as if at least some of them are ready to get back to work anyway.

@Tofu why aren't you going to use the lip masks?

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, stroppyse said:

They may be "resting" but it feels as if at least some of them are ready to get back to work anyway.

They are just like us. When you are used to being busy and suddenly, you have free time, you have no idea what to do with yourself. LOL!

2 hours ago, stroppyse said:

why aren't you going to use the lip masks?

Too precious. :lmao2:

• Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...

This is brilliant! The boys performing their songs in the middle of a crosswalk in LA is hilarious enough, but what truly makes it funny is the interactions between BTS and James Corden when they're not performing.

James Corden "You're going to be performing in the biggest venue of your life!"

V "James, that's not a venue. That's a crosswalk."

:lmao2:

It's also cute that BTS is comfortable enough to diss on their guest a bit.

"Why is he called Papa Mochi anyway?"

"It's because he's sweet."

"I thought it was because he looked like a mochi."

:lmao2:

Anyway, I do think that James Corden is rather clever for coming up with bits as Crosswalk Concerts and Carpool Karaoke, and the guys are game for going along with it all.

BTS is starting another project, and possibly entering another phase as artists, as a group, and as themselves. Here is the story film of that project called '7Fates'.

The caption that comes with the YT video from Hybe reads: A new fate has arrived. A new story has been started.  The project name is also stylized as '7Fates: Chakho'.

I'm excited for the guys and to see what they are going to produce. I'm amazed that they can still do different things and push themselves higher and harder when they were already going as hard as they thought they could.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The first official story film of 7Fates: Chakho. This is going to be a webtoon of seven men who form a team to fight supernatural monsters. The stories will incorporate a lot of Korean folklore surrounding tigers (who are frequently depicted as huge, scary man-eaters in folklore). 

The 7 characters are as follows:

Suga as CeIn

V as JooAn

J-Hope as HoSu

Jin as Hwan

RM as DoGeon

Jimin as HaRu

JK as ZeHa

Go to the YT page for 7FATES: CHAKHO by HYBE and find interviews of the guys about their characters and more teasers.

Given that I love cyberpunk, I'm loving the vibe of this world already.