abs-oluteM

MY DEAREST / LOVERS 
연인

F0O0gzHWcAIwps-?format=jpg&name=small

F1cPsl0XwAAWgQU?format=jpg&name=900x900

Part 2 Poster

AKR20230913109700005_01_i_P4.jpg

Synopsis by AsianWiki

Set during a Joseon period where people went through severe hardship due to the Qing invasion (Jan. 3, 1637 to Feb. 24, 1637). A love story blooms during that time.

Lee Jang-Hyun (Namkoong Min) is a mysterious man who suddenly appears in society circles. He appears to be a cheerful person, but in fact he is not. He is a complex person with a deep and dark secret that he can't reveal to anyone. A woman named Yoo Gil-Chae (Ahn Eun-Jin) appears in front of him and his life changes. Yoo Gil-Chae is the daughter of noble a family. She is a lovely woman, brimming with confidence. While experiencing the upheaval caused by the Qing invasion and falling in love with Lee Jang-Hyun, she grows as a person.

Director: Kim Sung-Yong

Writer: Hwang Jin-Young

Network: MBC

Episodes: Part 1 - 10 episodes, Part 2 - 10 episodes

Release Date:
4 Aug, 2023 - Part 1

Oct, 2023 - Part 2 

• Like 3
  • Party! 2

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - 

Main Cast

news-p.v1.20230728.c758d8ec8e834c3a973a2

Namkoong Min - Lee Jang Hyun
Ahn Eun JinYoo Gil Chae

Lee Hak Joo - Nam Yeon Jun

Lee Da In- Kyung Eun Ae

Kim Yoon Woo - Ryang Eum

Full list credit MDL

Spoiler

Main Role

Support Role

• Like 3
  • Party! 2

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - 

I was going to tag you @abs-oluteM about this casting. Unexpected pairing but me likey.... 😃

@mademoiselleyeah... I suspect he want to retire early. But anyway, they’ve been dating for a long time, so I think they’re used to his acting schedules already....? 

• Like 3
  • Clapping Hands 2

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

@mademoiselle @ktcjdrama I am no longer surprised that NGM will appear on my screen twice a year or something. But he does take on some interesting scripts , even if I can’t say I like them all. I just hope this one ends better 😂 …. the recent ones have been quite disappointing.  

I also like this pairing & am actually surprised as it never crossed my mind . Plus I do love all these angsty historicals. 😝😝

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

Unexpected pairing but me likey.... 😃

I really don't remember the female lead other than a supporting role in Hospital Playlist, so not sure what to expect.

I think NGM likes to work? Perhaps because he went through that brief dry period when the PDs wouldn't hire him because he was being a bit full of himself, he seems to really like to work for the most part.

Anyway, he does pick interesting projects, whether I'm into them or not, so I'm curious about this one as well.

• Like 5
11 hours ago, stroppyse said:

I really don't remember the female lead other than a supporting role in Hospital Playlist, so not sure what to expect.

She was main lead in The One and Only, with Kim Kyung Nam. And also in The Witch's Diner as a guest role. 

• Like 4

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

• 5 months later...

Yay...Aug 4 premiere confirmed

style_649aa7b23471e-1120x1400.jpg

This was a time when the people suffered extreme hardships due to the invasion of the Qing Dynasty. In a time of upheaval, the two men and women have a sad story of meeting and parting.

Namgoong-min plays Lee Jang-hyeon, a man who never puts his heart into anything. A person who, after going through an unimaginable tragedy, has no great interest in anything in life. Cheerful but secretive, he opens the door to an unexpected fate after getting to know a woman. Ahn Eun-jin takes on the role of Yu Gil-chae, a woman from a prestigious family, who has suffered the weather of war and sincerely falls in love with a man, gradually maturing.

Lee Hak-joo plays Nam Yeon-jun, a promising Confucian student studying at Sungkyunkwan. Lee Da-in plays Kyung Eun-ae, Nam Yeon-jun's fiancee and Yu Gil-chae's closest friend. Lee Da-in is an actress who recently married Lee Seung-gi, and will show her anti-war charm in this work. The screenplay was written by Hwang Jin-yeong, who wrote "The Emperor's Daughter, Baek Sukhyang" and "Rebel: Thief Who Stole the People", and director Kim Seong-yong, who proved his powerful directing skills through "Black Sun".

https://www.gqkorea.co.kr/2023/06/27/남궁민-안은진-이학주-이다인-연인에서-만난다/?utm_source=naver&utm_medium=partnership

• Like 3

Looks like my kind of sageuk. Gloomy, tragic, melodramatic and romantic.

Yay! Bring it on.

@abs-oluteM

Spoiler

I did a bit of research and discovered that the Qing invasion of Joseon came early during their rule in the 1600s to consolidate their position after the Ming dynasty.

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

Currently Watching: Queen of Tears, In Blossom

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

On 7/6/2023 at 8:47 PM, 40somethingahjumma said:

Looks like my kind of sageuk. Gloomy, tragic, melodramatic and romantic.

Me toooo...I find myself more invested when it is serious historical like this. I have a feeling because of the war, the leads will be separated for long periods.

On 7/6/2023 at 10:17 PM, Chocolate said:

Hmmm, I hope this is not a pure romance but there will be some political intrigue.

There will be. I rarely see  NGM take on a role just for romance :D. Hope this plot here is good. I have never seen him in a historical piece. He did one in 2013 - it was a daily show with over 120 episodes or something. Though it had Park Eun Bin, I couldn't bring myself to watch it . 

--------------

F0rUsGIaEAAILkV?format=jpg&name=medium

• Like 3
  • Party! 1

I too am very annoyed about the fact that this has been split into two parts. Why does Disney do things that constantly sabotage their IPs?

But I'm all up for a serious sageuk with political shennenigans. May have to wait for both seasons to drop before jumping in.

• Like 2

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

On 7/18/2023 at 2:25 PM, 40somethingahjumma said:

I too am very annoyed about the fact that this has been split into two parts. Why does Disney do things that constantly sabotage their IPs?

But I'm all up for a serious sageuk with political shennenigans. May have to wait for both seasons to drop before jumping in.

Ever since Disney + messed up JangHyuk's show ( Family : The Unbreakable Bond), I have been so annoyed with them. But I am not sure if this will be aired on Disney since this is an MBC drama. I think MBC is putting a lot of promos for this show , perhaps hoping it will have as much a buzz as The Red Sleeve. Anyway I am too excited that I will be watching it in real time. I have never seen NGM nor Ahn Eun Jin in a historical.

--------------------

I love this poster

F1cPsl0XwAAWgQU?format=jpg&name=900x900

Has subs....wahhhh talk about super angsty. But I am ready :GrowDerp:

" Don't ever forget this moment with me today".....

I am also looking forward to seeing Lee Hak Joo ( watching him now in Shadow Detective 2). He will play the fiancé of Lee Da In's character and is  a scholar.( Lee Da In is Ahn Eun Jin's best friendin this show )

"Nam Yeon Joon, who has long wanted to prove his loyalty to the country, jumps into the war without hesitation when the Qing invasion of Joseon breaks out."

Spoiler

BBSIMAGE_20230714094948_2982a54a90b76271

Lee Da In 

Spoiler

PS23071300015.jpg

They filmed in very harsh conditions. So please drama , be good

Spoiler

• Like 1

@abs-oluteM LOL. I don't know why I thought this was going to be on Disney + but apologies for the mistake. It could be the 2 season split which makes me think that.

I see that Lee Da-in is in this too. She was in Doctor Prisoner with Namgoong Min as well. She's quite a decent actress. 

All in all a good line up.

Are you enjoying Shadow Detective? If you've got to S2, you must be at the very least finding it watchable.

• Like 2

So it seems Lee Hak Joo's character is Ahn Eun Jin's first love . But he will later be engaged to Lee Da In who is AEJ's best friend. The trio are childhood friends who grew up in the same village. Sounds quite complicated as it is.  :thinking:Then Nam Goong Min appears suddenly, bringing disruption to their frriendship. He and AEJ will fall in love but from the character chart , the link between them is "loving and missing" ...so am assuming the war will separate them.

NGM is linked to a character called "Liangeum", the best singer in Joseon  How did Liangeum, a singer with a flower-like appearance, transcend social status and become sworn brothers with NGM's character?  It is also implied that NGM's character  has connections with the Joseon royal family and the people of the Qing Dynasty.

Source: http://www.stoo.com/article.php?aid=88241712828

F1zMP80aQAEel8a?format=png&name=900x900

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

They keep pushing out different angle of this poster  which only means this romance will be tragic. LOL

Spoiler

NISI20230802_0001330801_web.jpg?rnd=2023

Some new stills - AEJ is one of my favourite actresses of her generation. 

37cbe51a-208a-4498-a162-774470ac47fd.jpg

Spoiler

BBSIMAGE_20230727085027_114eff391ec699d5

BBSIMAGE_20230727085034_4bb6bfa941d98e0c

Some extracts from an interview AEJ did with The Korea Times:

Source from Koreatimes

Ahn plays Yoo who comes from a noble family. She has a lovely personality, growing up in a powerful and wealthy family. When she crosses paths with an enigmatic nobleman, Lee Jang-hyun (Namkoong Min), she gets entangled in his life, which changes her world.

Lee is a mysterious man who makes his way into the community out of nowhere. Although he appears to be lighthearted on the surface, he keeps a deep secret that he can't share with anyone else. The two unlikely people find love and endure the struggles of the Qing Dynasty invasion in the 1630s.

The series is led by Kim Sung-yong, who directed Namkoong's previous action series "The Veil" (2021), and is scripted by writer Hwang Jin-young, who wrote the 2017 period drama "The Rebel."

The actress explained that the story will follow her character's coming-of-age.

"(Yoo) grew up wealthy so she has to have everything her way. But as she meets Lee, and goes through the war, she becomes a real adult. When you follow her story, you will be able to resonate and understand her pain, and find yourself rooting for her," she said.

"As I read the script, I kept thinking 'How can you not love Gil-chae?' I could feel the writer's affection for the character. So I'm sure the viewers will also fall in love with her like I did."

• Like 1