Tian Jia Rui (田嘉瑞) as Gong Yuanzheng
Chu Zi Jun as Mister Xue
Sun Chen Jun as Jin Fan
Lin Zi Ye as Xue Tongzi
Zeng Shun Xi as Xue Tongzi (adult)
Zeng Ke Ni
Zuo Ye

Synopsis:

A story of the rebellious son Gong Zi Yu and spy Yun Wei Shan, who yearns for her freedom. Gong Zi Yu lost his father and brother overnight, and was appointed to become the head of the family but soon notices this power brought him into a dangerous situation. Yun Wei Shan is sent to him as a sleeper agent and now she has to choose between freedom and love.

(Credit: Dramawiki)

Additional Link

Weibo l Douban l Baidu

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

@40somethingahjumma

This drama in terms of writing, dialogue, cinematography, styling, acting etc etc are great. Plus none of the cast is average looking...:PsyWhat: Many people are outrage  because they were hoping for happy ending for main CP but for me despite the open ending, it's a realistic ending. Another outrage group are the fandoms of the main CP who think their fav didn't get enough screen time....:shocked: You should give it a try.....:SquirtleWonderfull:

• Like 1
17 hours ago, OsmanthusTea said:

@NiteWalker @Tofu

I’m pretty sure I’m the only one watch and finished this drama in Jang Haven universe 😂😂😂

Superb drama in terms of writing dialogue acting and especially the visual of The Gong Men…😎😎😎

Sorry I was busy with my thesis - am finally done with it!!!! Submitted and waiting for results.

I have watched it too, just so you know you are not the only one in this universe. :lmao2:

I threw a rage for about 1 hour after watching close to 7 episodes at 1.5X speed (combined with many ff-s), then calmed myself down with hopeful thoughts of a part 2. muahahahah

I kept telling myself, if something like Young Blood could get a part 2, years later, then this surely can.

@Tofu do watch and if you can't stand OEs, stop just 5mins before it ends, in E24, then all is well.

There is lots of eye candy, including someone whose facial expressions look like The Joker (I am quoting what I have read), Jolin Jin who is a comedienne and such a flirt, in real life and here, and humour despite things looking bleak.

• Like 1
  • Party! 1
13 minutes ago, OsmanthusTea said:

@IpohBanana

I don't think there will be S2. All wrapped up nicely except YWS's fate. You missed lots of good stuffs if you FF it for the last 7 eps.... @Tofu Listen to us, this drama is choked full with eye candies that came with every flavor shape and color...:PsyWhat:

Lots of melons and speculation. Zhang Ling He was in a video explaining how he perceived his role, in relation to the last 7 express episodes. His words were "Yesterday was the finale, but can't say it was the ending." [make what we want out of that] Apparently his friends had bugged him for an explanation and that was all he could say, in addition to how he had become resolute about protecting Ah Yun in the cave. As for S2, let's see, time will tell. Joy of Life took 4 years to produce part 2, same goes for Young Blood (featuring lesser known cast who then became popular, likely motivating S2). I would say, it's about the potential for traffic and money. If the promise of both is big enough and provided most of the cast agree to come back, (provided the director and cast don't get into any other trouble, be it plagiarism, tax evasion or sex scandals), then who knows?

I rewatched the episodes again after ff-ing and marathoning 7 eps, so I have been slowly savouring it. Also, I've been following the novel to try and get insights into what the characters were thinking or feeling. Most of the novel closely follows the drama but sometimes we get some gems  :P

• Like 1
21 hours ago, OsmanthusTea said:

@IpohBanana

Who is your fav Gong Bros??? :PsyWhat:

Actually, I prefer the ones in the back hill - all the three of them in fact. Joseph Zeng was cool to guest star but I cannot relate to him being the grown-up version of the kid, I'd much prefer the kid. Elder Yue reminds me of Legolas, off by a few marks but there's something about his styling that really made me think of the elf. And his story was heart-wrenching, sigh, that forlorn look on his face reminds me of Cheng Yi (muahahaha). 

The ones in the front, sorry-lah I don't have a thing for #3's Joker-looking face, neither do I have a thing for arrogance and that contemptuous look on #2, even if his heart is somewhat in the right place. Though I think our Sword Wielder has a heart of gold, I can't take the character too seriously because the actor lost too much weight and his face is too sharp for a guy - meaning he looks too feminine. And the innocence he portrays reminds me too much of the students I teach at Uni, which if you think about it is right. I think the character is at that age, when the adolescent boy becomes a man. I prefer his face and demeanor in LBFAD and Maiden Holmes, tbh. [If you ask whose face caught my attention, I'd much prefer Jin Fang :wow:, ooh the dimples when he smiles.] 

• Haha 2
15 hours ago, Tofu said:

Wait, there's an open ending?! :shocked2:

haha, you watch till it's 4 mins left to ending in E24. Then you stop. And that's the ending for you. :lmao2:

@OsmanthusTea I heard Zhang Ling He's interview that was released today, this one. [20230919 張凌赫 《雲之羽》新浪掃樓直播] Sina House Sweeping Live Broadcast

He says he prefers BE, and I realise I have often heard actors say they prefer BE. Because their rationale is that BE's tend to linger in people's minds longer and there are more conversations around the show. Therefore, their names will also remain in the minds of viewers longer, increasing their 'popularity' or traffic. This isn't what he said, but I recall hearing some other high
traffic actor explain it before.

On another note, I agree with a point he made: he said a thought crossed his mind as he watched the ending, and if it were him, he would get guards to accompany YWS. And he asked the host, "That's the logical thing to do, right?"  And a few seconds later, someone posed him the question of what he would change about the ending, and he again said "I would definitely send Jin Fang or some other guards to protect my wife as it's dangerous for her to go home alone. Even if I can't leave the mansion, I would definitely send someone with her." [my thoughts exactly, good for you ZLH for speaking my/our minds!] Also, he mentioned that if she doesn't show up, he would send people to look for her.

Edited by IpohBanana
1 hour ago, IpohBanana said:

He says he prefers BE, and I realise I have often heard actors say they prefer BE. Because their rationale is that BE's tend to linger in people's minds longer and there are more conversations around the show. Therefore, their names will also remain in the minds of viewers longer, increasing their 'popularity' or traffic. This isn't what he said, but I recall hearing some other high
traffic actor explain it before.

Yes, many actors prefer BE with that reasoning. Not only in CEnt but during first wave of Kdrama, like Stairways To Heaven, Winter Sonata and Autumn in My Heart etc K actors also prefer their characters to died. The more tragic the causes of death the more preferable....:shocked:

1 hour ago, IpohBanana said:

On another note, I agree with a point he made: he said a thought crossed his mind as he watched the ending, and if it were him, he would get guards to accompany YWS. And he asked the host, "That's the logical thing to do, right?"  And a few seconds later, someone posed him the question of what he would change about the ending, and he again said "I would definitely send Jin Fang or some other guards to protect my wife as it's dangerous for her to go home alone. Even if I can't leave the mansion, I would definitely send someone with her." [my thoughts exactly, good for you ZLH for speaking my/our minds!] Also, he mentioned that if she doesn't show up, he would send people to look for her.

I did saw this interview because his fandom are making noises in Twitter. But IMO from YWS's POV, would she allowed some bodyguards to follow her around?? She is a full pledge assassin, even SiTu Hong one of the Wangs wasn't her match much more Gong's bodyguards.

• Haha 1
On 9/17/2023 at 7:28 PM, OsmanthusTea said:

@40somethingahjumma

This drama in terms of writing, dialogue, cinematography, styling, acting etc etc are great. Plus none of the cast is average looking...:PsyWhat: Many people are outrage  because they were hoping for happy ending for main CP but for me despite the open ending, it's a realistic ending. Another outrage group are the fandoms of the main CP who think their fav didn't get enough screen time....:shocked: You should give it a try.....:SquirtleWonderfull:

aaaaaa open ending???? so ZLH didnt get the girl again

@OsmanthusTea yes I saw his reply to the question about what he saw. I guess it has no bearing on the ending the director had in mind. It was merely an idea to get him to depict the right emotion on his face. Douban rating is out, only 6 - people must have purposely weighed it down because they hated the ending. Oh well.... I just had a dejavu thought to myself, you know what? When things go too well, for the first 75% of the last episode, s*** has to hit the ceiling at the end. GUARANTEED.

@NiteWalker, he was asked if he would collaborate with Esther a 3rd time. He said he won't mind but it has to be a modern drama, I think he mentioned that he wants to get the he** out of Heng Dian studios. He must be sick and tired of it, as every drama he is cast in is a costume drama. Only had a short guest role in the current Bright Eyes about firemen (again). And then the person who asked him if it's ok if they don't have any relationship in the drama, he replied "then what's the point of starring with her??" :lmao2: I think he must be thinking, the 3rd time has to be a charm, and he gets to keep the girl. 

If you watch this, hoh, just stop watching 4-5 mins before ending. Then all is good. Truth be told, it's a very enjoyable drama and beautiful to watch.

On a separate note, Esther Yu seems to be very affectionate with the 2nd FL in real life. In a bTS, saw her kissing her, touching her hair and face. LOL, it's a tad bit unnerving - if I choose to see it from the POV of sisterly love, oklah. But anything more than that...hhmmm...

Esther and Zhao Lu Si are ending Milan Fashion Week, then I saw a photo of Zhang Ling He in Paris, wonder if he also went there to kay-poh... or he was invited by a brand (prolly).

Edited by IpohBanana
  • Haha 1