Daily Dose of Sunshine 정신병동에도 아침이 와요 [2023]

Daily Dose of Sunshine
정신병동에도 아침이 와요

optimize

A healing drama about the many kinds of incidents that take place in a psychiatric ward. Based on the actual real-life experiences of a psychiatric nurse, the drama will revolve around the story of nurse Jung Da Eun.  Adapted from the webtoon "Jeongsinbyeongdongedo Achimi Wayo" (정신병동에도 아침이 와요) by Iraha (이라하).

Source: MDL

Network: Netflix

Episodes: 12

Airing date : 3 November 2023

• Like 3

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  -  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - 

Cast & Crew

Screenwriter: Lee Nam Gyu, Kim Da Hee

Director: Lee Jae Gyoo

Main Cast

114561414.1.jpg

Park Bo Young - Jung Da Eun
Yeon Woo Jin - Dong Go Yoon
Jang Dong Yoon - Song Yu Chan
Lee Jung Eun - Song Hyo Jin

Supporting Cast

Lee Sang Hee

Yoo In Soo

Lim Jae Hyeok

Kong Seong Ha

• Like 3

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  -  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - 

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

@Tofu I have only just found out Jang Dong Yoon is in this drama too!

12 hours ago, Tofu said:

Why @abs-oluteM not tell us that JDY is in this drama?! It's probably because Abs open this thread for YWJ. :lmao2:

Haha . It’s true . I don’t mind JDY too but YWJ is my main motivation 

• Haha 3

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

After episode 1, I have SLS. 😅

After episode 2, I'm not sure if I still have it.

I thought Yu Chan is quite a happy-go-lucky kind of guy, but turns out he's going through some difficulties too.

Dong Go Yun being a proctologist... oh my... every time I see him use his bare hands to touch or grab any food, I feel :PsyWhat:

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Haha 2

I have caught 4 episodes and I love it. This show has this nice comforting feeling about it and more importantly it shines a light on two important things that kdramas don't often show - nurses and mental health. I think as you watch this you'll empathise with this often overlooked profession since most shows are just focused on doctors and how great they are , while the hardest work is often done by the nurses and caregivers. Also I love that each episode looks at different types of cases which flows very well with Da Eun's journey as a nurse in this ward.

@mademoiselle I wish there wasn't a love triangle...but it is brewing. I love so many things about the friendship between DaEun and YuChan. And I was expecting the friends to lovers trope there. But my oppa YWJ is just the cutest. He's weird & quirky but he's so adorable, so I am rooting for him. I love that he sought help for his OCD, and is quick to recognise his feelings. At this point he's pretty enamoured by her and even asked YuChan for permission to like her. :laugh:What is YC's response...I will let you find out yourself.  There's this very nice friendship between Go Yun, Yu Chan & Dr Hwang ( the tutor). 

The other thing that hooked me in is the DrHwang - Nurse Min loveline. That one is quite heart-fluttering but I believe it's gonna be quite makjang given the differences in their background. I am rooting for them too. 

• Like 1

Am up to eps 6

I think the love triangle is handled quite well. I would have rooted for YuChan a lot more if he stopped overthinking and just found the courage to tell DaEun his feelings. Anyway, I think DaEun had a good impression of GoYun especially with the way he handled her patient here. But poor guy is now going to be conscious of his fingers.

Spoiler

F-Fa8miboAAUesM?format=jpg&name=medium

I loved it that he also told her that he missed which was why he was waiting for her. Given that she was happy to hear that , I think she has good feelings about him too.

Spoiler

F-Fa8pRb0AAFOmU?format=jpg&name=medium

Unfortunately, life is never a flowery path...the ending of episode 6 really broke my heart. He was my favourite patient. :nervous:

• Like 1

I don't know which episode I am on, as I let Netflix continue to play on its own. I was on the episode that Da Eun had to pitifully hid herself in the room bawling her eyes out for being wrongfully accused by the patient for stealing her money. I feel for her helplessness because neither agreeing nor disagreeing with the patient helps.

I thought the scene where Go Yun tells Yeo Hwan he's in love with a nurse, and they thought they might have liked the same person. That was cute. I totally hope it works out for Dr. Hwang Yeo Hwan and Deuk Re. They kissed, but it doesn't seem like she agreed to date him...

I wished there was no triangle love. Yu Chan being a long-time friend who had loved Da Eun for so long, makes me want to root for him. However, I know for a fact that he's heading towards a huge heartbreak. I hope he will deal with it well.

• Like 1

Eps 7 to 9 was really hard to watch...seeing what DaEun is going through. The rabbit hole of depression is really not easy to get out of. I appreciate the drama showing first hand what is like to having PTSD and depression from the protagonist's point of vi ew.

I think all the MLs here are written particularly well. Almost too good to be true. :PsyWhat: But I have to say that Dr Hwang is just great. I thought the way he handled Nurse Min's gold digger mum and refused to break-up with Min was just unexpected but so lovely to watch. 

• Like 1

On 11/3/2023 at 4:34 PM, abs-oluteM said:

All 12 episodes are available on NF now

Yes! I was so happy to discover that (especially in contrast to the frequent delayed airing of some dramas).

I caught 4 episodes yesterday, but rather full today so haven't been able to continue. I love the drama so much even with just 4 episodes. Feel like I am learning along with Da Eun as she journeys in this new department. She's asking the questions I am asking too, lol... The characters (including side characters) are unique and interesting. The patients' backgrounds and stories are presented very well too. Editing and transitioning are also good. There are moving moments, there are also comedies. I laughed out a few times.  

11 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

But my oppa YWJ is just the cutest. He's weird & quirky but he's so adorable, so I am rooting for him. I love that he sought help for his OCD, and is quick to recognise his feelings. At this point he's pretty enamoured by her and even asked YuChan for permission to like her. 

His character here is the cutest indeed. Definitely rooting for him. Sorry but Yu Chan is totally just friends vibes. I am also rooting for Dr.Hwang to be able to convince Nurse Min that he will overcome all the obstacles between them. I hope she will give him a chance.

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears

@abs-oluteM Ooo you got there. That's the bit I was spoiled on social media. It's so pitiful just watching Da Eun being in that state, so I jumped to the end to see what happened to her to give myself some hope. Haha.

I haven't continued because Castaway Diva episode 3 was really captivating from the cuts, so I went to watch that first. It really didn't disappoint.

• Insightful 1
3 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

Waaaa @abs-oluteM how did you make it through to episode 9? I had to stop for episode 7 to catch some air when the doctor suggested holding a funeral for Choi Jun Gil's wife again.

That was so hard. This show really drew me in...couldn't stop watching.

I am done with this series and cannot recommend it enough. This is such a beautiful slice of life that covered mental health & issues in a very sensitive and insightful way. I loved that we saw the perspective of the patients, their family members and the medical team that cared for them. Park BoYoung did such a great job in the last few episodes, and this is probably my favourite show of hers. 

This may be somewhat spoilerish...

Spoiler

There were so many moments where I was so worried for DaEun after she returned back to work wondering if she could handle the pressure or prejudice that would come along. I loved that she had so much support from those around her. But more importantly she got the help that she needed at the hospital. I think the biggest takeaway is that mental health issues is just like any other illness. It doesn't necessarily have to be a death sentence or something that will stop your life from progressing. With medication, support, counselling etc, it is possible to recover or have it managed. I think the stigma surrounding mental illness is more alarming than being diagnosed with depression or anxiety.

I also loved that we saw YuChan overcome his panic anxiety at work. He didn't run away but at the end made the good decisions to say no and have work life balance. TBH, this is hard for those us in Asia as we are often working beyond the required hours. I am sorry he never got to express his feelings for DaEun, but I think it was for the best considering that he realised DaEun liked Go Yun.

Talking about Go Yun, I just loved the way he handled things with DaEun. He was such a champ in the way he defended DaEun at work and made sure that she kept her job.  He gave her plenty of space but more importantly I love that they had these scenes of him and DaEun's mother. DE's mother needed someone who could understand her worries  as a mother. It was great she could talk to him. 

Hwang-Min love line was also done so well. It was the first time that I hear such advice as well when he asked her to abandon the mother. I think that was so important because Nurse Min's mum was just one of those women who'll never change. Glad that Nurse Min found her true calling and that Hwang is supportive and open minded to let her go do something she likes.

And finally I love this team. And caregiver Yoon too...I think they could really do a S2 and I would me most happy to watch their adventures.

F-J6UiUakAAIXCi?format=jpg&name=900x900

• Like 1

2 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

This show really drew me in...couldn't stop watching.

I finished all 12 episodes too. It has wonderful storyline, quotes, and encouragement for the viewers. The story-telling through the perspectives from the patients' backstory, family members, the characters themselves who have their own problems were interesting and insightful. It was educational as well.

Spoiler

I, too, was also very worried about Da Eun. I honestly think if we were to be realistic, the peer pressure from the family members protesting would have broken her again. Other than that, I think the characters are almost too perfect and understanding. But, because this is drama and we need to send a positive message to the viewers, especially those who may be suffering from the mental issues, so all the characters will have to be a little more supportive and perfect.

You are right. It's rare to see/hear an advice to tell us to abandon a family member. That is such bold advice. I'm supportive of her finding her happiness and doing something for herself. Though again, realistically, for the relationship with Yeo Hwan to work, this cruise ship performer career appears to be a temporary one because I don't think anyone (whichever gender) would be able to be supportive through to the end. They still have their social differences to sort out. If his family isn't the kind that care about this, that's the best. If they are, then there are more obstacles.

I worry about Yu Chan the moment he said no to working back. Merely because is South Korea's workplace truly accepting work-life balance now? If the culture is still all about slaying the employees, then Yu Chan would probably have to give up on promotion and pay rise. Unfortunately, a lot of the times, employers still treasure workers working long hours over those who work smart or efficiently. A lot of the time, people would go “Oh, this person can handle more, so give him/her more work”. This kind of mindset is also found where I am, believe it or not.

Hmm, I would recommend the drama, but I personally don't think I could rewatch it, because it's quite heavy on the heart.

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Heart Eyes 1