Chief Detective 1958 수사반장 1958 [Current - Fri/Sat]

Chief Inspector 1958 수사반장 1958

GG5oTM3aQAABEeT?format=jpg&name=large

Korean Title: 수사반장 1958
English Title: Chief Detective 1958
Director: Kim Sung Hoon (Previous work: Confidential Assignment)
Writer: Kim Young Shin
Network: MBC
Episodes: 16
Release Date: Upcoming, probably in 2024

Synopsis:
Park Young Han (Lee Je Hoon) is a young detective. He becomes furious at the reality of human dignity being violated and he struggles to deal with it. He teams up with his colleague detectives. (Credit)

This drama is a prequel to Chief Inspector, which aired in 1971-1989. 

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 2
  • Party! 2
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The beginning is kind of cute and heartwarming. In the present, we see an old man leaving his rather rundown lodging, walking across the market in the morning, picking up rice cakes and arriving at the police station. All the policemen greeted him with respect. It's a given that he must be the main character Lee Je Hoon played. The subtitles noted he is "Yeong Han". Soon enough, cut to a young Lee Je Hoon greeting him as Haraboji. Aw, his grandson looks exactly like him. How cute. Grandson loves rice cakes too.

Well, at least we don't need to worry our protagonist, Park Yeong Han, will die since we are assured he lives till the present time. Heh.

Back to 1958, Yeong Han was a diligent and upright police in Gyeonggi-do. He was then sent to Seoul HQ (I think). There he met the Chief and Kim Sang Soon (Lee Dong Hwi). At the time, Seoul's police were super corrupted (what's new?), and are in cahoot with the gangsters. We can tell Yeong Han is extremely witty based on how he arrested the Viper gang's head. But he's outnumbered and hands are tied when the higher-up let the baddies loose. In the next episode, Yeong Han will recruit two more guys to join him.

Knetizens commented that Lee Je Hoon's acting was great, but they said he looked too modern. I don't know, I think it's the hairstyle, even though I love this hair more than in the Taxi Driver.

Whilst watching this drama, I also thought to myself that I have not seen Lee Je Hoon in a romance drama since Tomorrow, With You. When is he going to take up a romance again?

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Clapping Hands 2
3 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

Well, at least we don't need to worry our protagonist, Park Yeong Han, will die since we are assured he lives till the present time. Heh.

Halfway through episode 1. It comforts me that PYH will live a good long life and even has a grandson that looks just like him :laugh:. Did you get "KimDoki "( Taxi Driver)  vibes from grandson? 

I love Detective Park ! He's such a character and out of the box thinker. Lee Je Hoon picked a great role again. I do crave him in romance & yes, his last one was Tomorrow With You ( which is a favourite of mine)  But I am glad he has chosen this as I generally love police procedurals and I think this is the first one I have seen that is set in this era in South Korea. Perhaps we will see a bit of a love story with Seo Eun Soo's character which I am guessing will be his wife. 

• Like 2

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

@abs-oluteM Apparently, the present day actor, Choi Bul Am, who played Haraboji Park Yeong Han is the OG! That's kinda cool.

Maybe there will be a bit of romance with Seo Eun Soo, but I'm not fond of her in the sense that I didn't find her good with anyone in romance. 😅

I didn't get Kim Do Ki's vibe. My first thought is, Lee Je Hoon can still pass himself off as playing a rather young character with the right hairstyle. LOLLLL

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Haha 2
3 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

aybe there will be a bit of romance with Seo Eun Soo, but I'm not fond of her in the sense that I didn't find her good with anyone in romance. 😅

Hahah...I only remember her sad story in Missing The Other Side. I felt so much regret for her character's fate and love story with the detective there. I guess you are remembering her from Duel? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

6 minutes ago, abs-oluteM said:

Hahah...I only remember her sad story in Missing The Other Side. I felt so much regret for her character's fate and love story with the detective there. I guess you are remembering her from Duel? 

I remember her in Dr. Romantic, Duel, Top Management, 100 Million Stars in the Sky, and Unlock My Boss. I couldn't get into her romance with Chae Jong Hyeop. Her acting isn't very strong either.

• Like 2

@mademoiselle Yes, I don't think she's played any memorable roles in a sense. Let's see how she fares here. But anyway I think hers is  just a supporting role.

I finish the episode and look forward to ep2. The coming together of the team seems promising. But does the corruption feel even more overt in this era? I am used to corruption in every police drama but here the gangs run the show and the cops seem so powerless. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, abs-oluteM said:

I finish the episode and look forward to ep2. The coming together of the team seems promising. But does the corruption feel even more overt in this era? I am used to corruption in every police drama but here the gangs run the show and the cops seem so powerless. 

Yeah, not sure if it's a realistic depiction of that era. I, too, don't think I've seen a drama/movie from this time period. It's almost always the Japanese occupation era, or the 80s during the Dictatorial times.

• Like 2

Guys, this is actually quite fun with some humour in it. @SilverMoonTea @peperomia @UnniSara @Chocolate @ktcjdrama @gilaswan. I shall leave out Tofu and JenL, because I think they will eventually watch, since it's their Oppa.

Episode 2

The pacing is quite fast. By the end of this episode, Yeong Han has recruited all the members we saw in the photo. First recruited was Mad Dog, Kim Sang Soon. Lee Dong Hwi is killing his role in this. Then it's the muscle man, Jo Gyeong Hwan and Seo Ho Jeong, played by Yoon Hyun Soo, whom @SilverMoonTea likes over Cha Eun Woo in the doggo drama. LOL. He's cute and clumsy here too, Tea.

Seems like Yeong Han earns the respect from all the citizens of Seoul and instantly become famous for letting loose 30 snakes on the Viper Gang. LMAO.

@abs-oluteM The romance actually develops quite well and fast between Hye Joo and Yeong Han. Too bad there's an element of love triangle with Ho Jeong also having a crush on Hye Joo.

There hasn't been much progress with the Gangster plot, as this episode focus more on recruiting and Yeong Han's love line. However, there is some background revelation that the military police's power appears to be above the police. Additionally, the US soldiers seem to be quite powerful and influential in South Korea. We were introduced to Steve Jackson, an American Asian (or Korean because he was being called Kimchi Eater) military officer, at the end. He might play a crucial role working with Yeong Han's team in fighting corruption later. I've seen the supporting actor who plays the US soldier (Second Lieutenant) is multiple times in Kdramas, and I still think he's bad in acting.

Lastly, I laughed out loud so much in two scenes. First one was when Ho Jeong threw a dynamite out of the window and accidentally bombed the Chief's car. Another was Yeong Han throwing a shoe at Detective Hwang, and it hit his face. Honestly, I diedddd. :lmao2:

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 2
  • Party! 1
3 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

Guys, this is actually quite fun with some humour in it.

:nervous: I probably won't have enough time to add this... thanks for the tag though. Holler again if this is a must-watch.

The first time I see Seo Eun Soo was in My Golden Life, which made me kinda like her (also in Missing, Legal High) but I agree her role does not impress me much in Unlock My Boss.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

5 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

Lastly, I laughed out loud so much in two scenes. First one was when Ho Jeong threw a dynamite out of the window and accidentally bombed the Chief's car. Another was Yeong Han throwing a shoe at Detective Hwang, and it hit his face. Honestly, I diedddd. :lmao2:

Me too! I super love this show. I like that we have a good mix of brains, brawn and passion in the team. The way that they solve the cases is gonna be so much fun to watch judging by the last case involving the military.

I was surprise that the romance move quite quickly, and I enjoyed their scenes. There's a bit of spark there. HyeJoo's a quick thinker too seeing how she got the thugs to leave her bookshop. I already like her. I don't think the love triangle will be played out too much...or at least I hope it doesn't .

• Like 1

18 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

Guys, this is actually quite fun with some humour in it. @SilverMoonTea @peperomia @UnniSara @Chocolate @ktcjdrama @gilaswan. I shall leave out Tofu and JenL, because I think they will eventually watch, since it's their Oppa.

I watched 1 episode last night and was cracking up when he brought snakes to Viper gangster (such an irony 😅😆) apparently they're lying on the job resume and had no experience with real snakes 😂

I think this series is not really a serious crime procedural? The highlight seems to be more on the comedy part and they seems building up for great teamwork in future. 

It was refreshing, maybe will watch this to kill time. Not super crazy about it though. 

• Haha 2

ezgif-com-gif-maker-47.gif

5 hours ago, SilverMoonTea said:

I watched 1 episode last night and was cracking up when he brought snakes to Viper gangster (such an irony 😅😆) apparently they're lying on the job resume and had no experience with real snakes 😂

I think this series is not really a serious crime procedural? The highlight seems to be more on the comedy part and they seems building up for great teamwork in future. 

It was refreshing, maybe will watch this to kill time. Not super crazy about it though. 

E2 is even funnier (for me). It might get serious later on. Usually that's the formula of kdrama.

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 1