Bright Eyes in the Dark 他从火光中走来 [2023]

Tofu

Bright Eyes in the Dark 他从火光中走来

006-Yf-Ctqly1hdrwht18dyj31o02yoqv7.jpg

Chinese Title: 他从火光中走来 / Ta Cong Huo Guang Zhong Zou Lai
English Title: Bright Eyes in the Dark
Novel: Ta Cong Huo Guang Zhong Zou Lai by Er Dong Tu Zi
Director: Tian Yi (Previous work: My Dear Guardian)
Screenwriter: Liu Hong Yan (Previous work: Chasing the Undercurrent)
Episodes: 40
Broadcasting Network: iQIYI
Airing Date: September 19th, 2023

Synopsis:

When Nan Chu was just 16 she was trapped in a house fire, and in her semi-conscious and dazed state she saw the blurred form of a man in uniform, firefighter Lin Lu Xiao, who rescued her. Five years later, Nan Chu, now 21, has become a national star as a very popular model and actress. The two meet again when he is picked as an instructor on a reality show she is hosting aimed at popularizing knowledge about firefighting. There's an attraction between the two, but there's also a reluctance to give in to it given the danger of his job. But after the other party fell in love with her, she turned around and left again, after which she asked for peace again.

(Credit)

Official Websites:
Baidu | Weibo | Douban

• Party! 1

Cast.

Huang Jing Yu as Lin Luxiao

Zhang Jing Yi as Nan Chu

Tang Xiao Tian as Jiang Ge

Zhang Jin as Yu Qilei

Lu Si Yu as Yang Zhengang

Hu Yi as Liu Ruyi

Li Ming Jun

Chen Kang

Zhang Duo Han

Wang Zi Qi as Lou Mingye

Wu Gang as Meng Guohong

Zhang Ling He as Lin Qi

Zeng Ke Ni as Yan Dai

Xu Hong Hao

Zhao Xun

Fei Li Qi

Wang Chun Yu as Huang Zhun

Zhou Le as CEO Ma

• Party! 1

@Tofu oooooo thanks for opening the thread. I have been so busy that I have forgotten completely that this will air soon . Though IQIYI’s soon means what ? 
I read Wang QiZi will also have a supporting or guest role ? 
Two hot men in uniform. Can’t complain :laugh:

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  -  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - 

• 4 months later...

Oh my how come Johnny and  Wang Zi Qi are enemies? ahahahahah...but this is quite fun as it seems both have very different perspectives and value systems about their jobs. Johnny is all heart and just does whatever is necessary to get things done. WZQ is very by the book. So they don't particularly start off on the right foot and over the years have become like enemies. But I have a feeling they will end up having an interesting "bromance" / frenemy type relationship in the future. 

As to the romance, can't feel much yet. FL is quite pretty but a bit stiff ....let's see how it goes. It has the classic arc since he saved her when she was in high school and they reunite years later. 

• Haha 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  -  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - 

On 9/22/2023 at 5:57 AM, abs-oluteM said:

Oh my how come Johnny and  Wang Zi Qi are enemies?

I forgot WZQ is in this drama. LOL!

On 9/22/2023 at 5:57 AM, abs-oluteM said:

As to the romance, can't feel much yet. FL is quite pretty but a bit stiff

I think that's the criticism she has with all her dramas. I always see people commenting about the lack of chemistry between her and her costars in most, if not all, the dramas she's in. 

• Insightful 1
20 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

Can’t feel a thing …this drama has yet to give me an emotional hook . And I’m already at eps 5 😅😅

I feel the same (and am also at Episode 5) but one of my friends tells me that things start to evolve by Episode 6 and wherever they're now at (much farther along) they're really into it, so they've told me to hang in there.  Meanwhile, I'm like, "The drama is taking a huge gamble in expecting that people are going to be willing to hang in there for this long to get to the good part!!!"  I mean, five episodes is a looooong time.   😅

• Haha 1

My Fanfics

Descendants of the Sun • A Love So Beautiful • Le Coupe de Foudre • Gank Your Heart • Go Ahead • Legend of Fei

20 hours ago, themarchioness said:

I feel the same (and am also at Episode 5) but one of my friends tells me that things start to evolve by Episode 6 and wherever they're now at (much farther along) they're really into it, so they've told me to hang in there.  Meanwhile, I'm like, "The drama is taking a huge gamble in expecting that people are going to be willing to hang in there for this long to get to the good part!!!"  I mean, five episodes is a looooong time.   😅

Your friends are not wrong :laugh:. After reading what you wrote, I decided to continue with eps 6 and before I knew it it's become weirdly addictive. Am at eps 8.  I don't know if I am entirely sold on the pairing and I can't even say that their chemistry has gotten better but they have more moments together and I can somewhat see the potential. The thing is that Nan Chu's character is a little bland but okay I can overlook that. 

I continue to like the confrontations between Johnny and Wang ZiQi's character. Wish WZQ had a bit more screen time cuz all the other male characters aren't exactly that exciting for me. LOL

Okay...from not being too hot about the romance, the potential pairing has grown on me. I can't even pinpoint when it was that I started rooting for them but I am hooked . :laugh:Their chemistry and scenes aren't hot smoldering type romance. It doesn't employ the usual bickering opposite attracts sort of tropes. The attraction grows subtly and I love those little moments where we see them observing each other. It is somewhat comforting and rather natural - possibly how most people fall in love.  I am already done with episode 9 , and there's mutual interest. Everyone else picks up on it, but I am not sure if they both realise it yet. 

This teaser is good....lots of interesting spoilers ahead

• Like 1

On 9/25/2023 at 11:18 AM, abs-oluteM said:

Your friends are not wrong :laugh:. After reading what you wrote, I decided to continue with eps 6 and before I knew it it's become weirdly addictive.

Haha, yes!  Yes it does!  I'm now on Ep 12, I think?  Hard to find time to watch but I stayed up late last night to sneak in an extra.  Those stolen looks are everything (especially when everyone was watching the first ep of their reality show together.)  

7 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

The attraction grows subtly and I love those little moments where we see them observing each other. It is somewhat comforting and rather natural - possibly how most people fall in love. 

I'd agree with this.  You can definitely see how they are getting to know each other through living/working together.  I'm still eager for her to figure out it was he who saved her all those years ago, though! 

My friend just told me that Ep 15 and 16 live up to the expectation of their teasers - we have something to look forward to, haha! 

• Clapping Hands 1

My Fanfics

Descendants of the Sun • A Love So Beautiful • Le Coupe de Foudre • Gank Your Heart • Go Ahead • Legend of Fei

20 hours ago, themarchioness said:

I'd agree with this.  You can definitely see how they are getting to know each other through living/working together.  I'm still eager for her to figure out it was he who saved her all those years ago, though! 

I love those stolen glances 😍 as they work together. It’s been quite obvious he’s drawn fo her - thought it so  sweet each time he checks on her uniform. Am done till eps 14 , and this was a particularly lovely episode. 

There are parts of the show that I still have to watch on 1.5 speed - made worse with the inclusion of that celebrity actor who joined their programme . But he did bring some plot progress - got to see our ML in action saving Nan Chu from the fire a second time 

19 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

I love those stolen glances 😍 as they work together. It’s been quite obvious he’s drawn fo her - thought it so  sweet each time he checks on her uniform. Am done till eps 14 , and this was a particularly lovely episode. 

Yes! I also love whenever he helps her with her uniform.  There's something so charming about that action; it's very sweet.  You'll really love 15 and 16, if you haven't already watched them by now.  I have only two words to say: Ring Toss!  :wow:

There are parts of the show that I still have to watch on 1.5 speed - made worse with the inclusion of that celebrity actor who joined their programme

Omg, that celebrity actor has been the WORST.  Every time he appeared I would mentally scream, "Just get off my screen already!"  Hopefully he won't be back now, but I worry we've not seen the last of him.  Especially given how concerned everyone was about taking him down.  That's one thing I like about Nan Chu.  Although she's currently in the Ent-circle, she's not originally from the Ent-circle nor is it her true desire, so I like how she resists playing by its rules and just does her own thing.  Rooting for her!

got to see our ML in action saving Nan Chu from the fire a second time 

Third time!  LOL.  That girl has been in a fire three times now.  If I was friends with her, I'd stay far, far away from her... fire seems to follow her around...

• Heart Eyes 1

My Fanfics

23 hours ago, themarchioness said:

You'll really love 15 and 16, if you haven't already watched them by now.  I have only two words to say: Ring Toss!  :wow:

It was a lovely first date, and my favourite thing about them is when they look at each other. There's this unspoken connection. 

F7MO1mCaEAAQMb0?format=jpg&name=large

Their greatest strength for me in terms of their newly minted relationship is that there's good  communication. The show didn't go the route of having opposite attracts, or using those bickering tropes that many rom-coms tend to use to create sparks. Instead here there was a natural attraction, and once the leads knew their feelings for each other, it didn't take long for them to get together.  Given the nature of his job, there really isn't much time for romancing. The reality of things hit very quickly in episode 17 and 18 with that big fire accident that caused Instructor Yang to lose his leg. It lead to a very matured conversation at the end of episode 18 about the risks of his job and how it would impact her should he die or be injured. It was an extremely heavy and serious matter to discuss for such a new relationship, but I loved that they addressed it. NanChu's answer was reassuring. 

• Like 1

I am almost up to speed with all available episodes (mid eps 24),  and I never expected to like this romance as much as I do. I think it's because the leads have so much consideration and respect for each other that it feels so different from all the other romantic shows I have seen in the past. They don't play games with each other or second guess the other person.... it is probably one of the healthiest on screen relationships I have seen in awhile. They are supportive of each other's career growth and don't bicker over petty things. I appreciate that he was so sweet in helping her during  her acting classes. And now that he's at the crossroads of returning back to the frontline, he consults her first and she gives him space to make that decision. I am gonna riot if anything bad happens to him. 

Apart from that, having Wang ZiQi 's character take over the station for now has changed the dynamics of how things have been going on and I am all for it. I am finally paying attention cause before this it was too "perfect". But we know that deep down there are many unaddressed issues.  Hahahah...Not only because I get to see more of WZQ, but I do think Luo Ming Yue has a point. There is merit in what he is trying to do - better technology & newer forms of training is gonna save more lives and there will be less frontline casualties. Though I know not many viewers see him in a positive light, I agree with him. Perhaps what is the problem is the execution of it. LMY is a tad harsh though some of them are also resisting his ways because they are afraid of change and don't want to change. In this respect, LLX is a better leader in terms of people skills and he knows his men well.  Though I do think he was a bit soft with his team before this,  he can bridge things between LMY and the rest. 

On 9/24/2023 at 6:54 AM, abs-oluteM said:

@Tofu the romance is meh . Can’t feel a thing …this drama has yet to give me an emotional hook . And I’m already at eps 5 😅😅

I must smack myself...I can see their chemistry growing throughout the episodes. ...

The leads for Harpers Bazaar

Source: https://weibo.com/1708288824/4951292562638638

F7K1KJJbsAA4vRC?format=jpg&name=large

Spoiler

F7K1KIwbUAAyNP7?format=jpg&name=large

Spoiler

F7K1KI0bMAAqxze?format=jpg&name=large

NC is truly a magnet for fires! How many times has LLX saved her? I have lost count but it was definitely romantic how it all played out in the life & death situation in eps 29/ 30 . That said the sweet honeymoon period characteristic of most new relationships is over - or at least I think the next phase of their relationship is being explored here . What I do appreciate about the drama is that we get to witness the change & growth of this pair - so far both have remain committed to each other . Even when NC was confronted with real possibilities of LLX being injured or dying in a mission, she’s remained steadfast & supportive . 

Now the relationship is further tested with a 6 month-time jump that sees NC becoming a successful/ popular new actress. Her schedule is unforgiving and his has always been packed. So spending time , quality ones even have become a challenge. To make things more difficult, NC has to keep the relationship low profile as requested by her agent, & avoiding the paparazzi means that the leads need to be creative to meet . Even with her being injured at the hospital, LLX was asked not to be there to accompany her given the disturbance brought about by reporters hoping to confirm if the 2 are dating . So the question here is whether their relationship would survive this ? 

I don’t know what to think about the ending .  After all the roller coaster of emotions in the last 8 to 10 episodes, they 

Spoiler

Gave me an open ending . Johnny says he’s not dead in a live stream he did with ZhangJingYi. But it certainly wasn’t ended on a clear note . 😔😔

55 minutes ago, abs-oluteM said:

I don’t know what to think about the ending .

did they release a fast track for the ending? I’m off the grid for the next few weeks so haven’t been keeping up. 

On 10/2/2023 at 9:54 AM, abs-oluteM said:

Not only because I get to see more of WZQ, but I do think Luo Ming Yue has a point. There is merit in what he is trying to do - better technology & newer forms of training is gonna save more lives and there will be less frontline casualties. Though I know not many viewers see him in a positive light, I agree with him. Perhaps what is the problem is the execution of it.

He did hate some valid points but his execution left a lot to be desired and you could see how because of it, the fire station was falling apart and becoming worse. As a leader, he should’ve recognized that himself but instead he dug in, blamed others, and for that, I found him problematic. Drove me downright nuts! Lol. But bringing back LLX as the instructor was a great move and I’m assuming it’s the marriage of both that will make the fire station return to its former glory and be even better on top. When I left off watching a few days ago, we were already heading in that direction with LMY starting to grow some empathy and the beginnings of a clue. 😝

• Clapping Hands 1

My Fanfics

@themarchioness yes , they did an expressed package for the last 6 episodes using the IQIYI mobile app but for a fee 😅. I haven’t decided if i should buy it though I have an idea of how it ended.

LMY had great ideas & there were some things I agreed with him but he lacked empathy as a leader which I feel is particularly necessary for a job like this that is so high risk & emotionally charged. But I love that LLX returned as Instructor - it was clear that LLX has better people and leadership skills. He was an important bridge between LMY & the rest of the team . As the episodes progressed, I felt like LLX humanised LMY 🤣🤣.

I feel like this may  be my favourite Johnny role yet , and I have watched a lot of his shows especially the ones with uniforms ! The last few episodes I felt that he brought his A game as an actor - so many emotional scenes but no overacting , very natural. It made me love LLX even more . Be prepared with tissues for eps 32 -34 . It broke my heart in many ways. 

• 3 weeks later...

@abs-oluteM I am strangely drawn to Johnny Huang and first saw him in My Dear Guardian. I saw a fan-made video comparing him in a uniform with the other guy who was also a fireman in a drama that drew lots of flack (keh keh keh). And I concur that JH makes a more convincing fireman, soldier, etc. He admitted that he has played a few uniform roles and it's become second nature to him, and I think that's why he was natural in this drama (he also said he won't do costume dramas because the make up & prolly the wig + glue, makes him feel extremely uncomfortable). I certainly look forward to seeing him in another uniform role, I am sure he won't fail.

• Heart Eyes 1

@IpohBanana I have watched a number of Johnny's shows - he is a natural when it comes to this sort of shows. I too cannot imagine him in the historical ones. I like his action dramas a bit more than the romance ones with the exception of Love Designer. Did you watch this drama? What did you think of the ending?

@themarchioness did you finish?

On 10/23/2023 at 8:52 AM, abs-oluteM said:

@themarchioness did you finish?

I had to go off the grid for several weeks, but I picked the drama up again last night to finish... currently on Ep 31 (I think).  All I remember is the FL was in another fire (building blast!).  I said it before, I'll say it again... I would never hang out with her.  She's too dangerous to be around!  LOL

• Haha 1

My Fanfics