Book Lounge

On 8/28/2020 at 5:47 AM, SnowBlob said:

I hardly read  I think I prefer watching rather than reading. 

Some of my fav childhood: Enid Blyton's Mallory Towers, St Clare and the Naughtiest Girl. All have similar stories set in boarding school. I love them. I still own Mallory Towers hard copies..and I think back in my country I also have St Clare. I also read a couple of Famous Five and Secret Seven. 

i think i had read all those u mentions hahahaha i grew up with Nancy Drews stories too lols.....and my mom love to see me holding a book...

• Like 7
  • Heart Eyes 3

Title : 7 Years of Darkness 

Author : You Jeong Jeong

Spoiler

seven-years-of-darkness-1.jpg

Review :

The book have an interesting way to told the murder in the novel format that's been written by the author that involved in the case. 

The description on the foggy night, arboretum, dam and the remote village as background, can filled you up with an unsettled & heavy feelings. Yet, you will keep turning around the book pages until its finished. 

Spoiler

*spoiler*

Actually the case, it's not even that complicated. But the way the author telling the story make this book amusing. 

The author also have other title "The Good Son", but I can't find the stock here. 

• Like 9

ezgif-com-gif-maker-47.gif

Reading this now

41-Wl-I5-L5-W8-L.jpg

Seems to me, the multitasking, handphones creating more anxiety than the olden days. And poverty, status inequality also drive the modern day anxiety. The books provided many datas too. So far, it still dwelve on the root cause and not yet on the solution. But I'm still on 1/3 portion.

The most interesting quotes I read : anxiety have no face. Means anxiety doesn't really showed up with emotion, so it can be less recognized as a problem.

• Like 6
  • Insightful 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

800.jpg

Another interesting crime story book by some Japanese author. The Forgotten Festival is a book written by a lady who witnessing terrible crime during her childhood. But is she an honest writer? Or there is something hidden in her book? Her assistant claiming there is some mistrue words from the interview statement that they did together. 

The words play was very rich, I think everyone who like 'whodunnit story' will enjoy this. 

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

1 hour ago, Chocolate said:

Wow @SilverMoonTea you seem to read quite a wide range of books. I dare not post here anymore, or you guys will think I only read smut lol.

The problem here I only finish the fiction book, took an ages to complete the non fiction :lenny:. The Japanese & Korean author did really well with their crime fiction story, I really like all the books I mentioned above. 

Bwahaha rofl bring on your smut then,... we're free book lounge anyway.. Last time I did read many Harlequin too... 

• Haha 2

@MayanEcho I love Harlequin too! They are still great for a light and quick read. And you're right. Some do it so well too. Any favourites?

@SilverMoonTea At least you tried with the non-fiction. When there is more time, I will try the thrillers that you have recommended.

The only foreign-language books I have read is the trilogy by Swede, Stieg Larsson. I had no choice but to borrow from the cruise library when I ran out of books to read (these were the days before iphones and kindles). Most of you would know about this since it has been made into a movie. Though the movies were great too, my thoughts are always that the books are always better as a lot of stuff just cannot be conveyed via film.

9ENCuvY.png

And because you said so, this is one of my favourites. (I have progressed from Harlequin lol.)

Joey W Hill is one of the best bdsm writers but it's not for everyone. However, these 2 books (sequel) are so good in terms of the story, emotion and romance (and the bdsm is relatively light here). Try it. The covers do not do the books justice. The part where her story is revealed, I get goose bumps. And tissue.

pwKRfDM.png

Hope I don't shock anybody. If so, just let me know and I will delete.

Edited by Chocolate
  • Haha 3

Hi all!! I just discovered this thread, haha... Awesome thread!

I used to read (and buy) books a lot, but that has been a while ago. Now I watch drama a lot, lol... Just find it easier to watch stories unfold on screen rather than reading the small prints on paper (yeah let’s blame my eyes haha). However, I still like to buy books even now, so I have many books queuing on the shelves as well. I don’t mind splurging for books and CDs (before YouTube time) but I am a penny pincher for fashion items. Not a fan of e-books and audiobooks too. 

Like @SnowBlob I grew up with Enid Blyton’s books. Am also a fan of Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys books. Not to mention Agatha Christie. When I entered the workforce, I mostly read self-help books and non-fictions. Of late, I’ve gone back to fictions again, finding those self-help books are essentially the same, not finding them motivational anymore. However, like I said earlier, I am mostly looking on screen than paper now so probably cannot contribute much here, but I love reading all your posts. Who knows it will motivate me to finally turn a page 😉

• Like 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Heart Eyes 4

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Kidnapping // Dog Day // Lovers // Vote

• 2 weeks later...

I have my groove back . Just started reading 

Hell’s Bell ( A Lizzie Grace Novel) Book 2 

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f29a143358ca148dc950e

I love the world Keri Author created in this series. She is witch but not a powerful witch..She has been on the run for 12 years since she left home after the loss of her sister. Lizzie say she doesn’t want to help but is always the first person at a crime scene or pulled by a supernatural force into danger where a crime occurred. 

Synopsis  

When the church bell tolls thrice in the middle of the night, evil this way comes…

Lizzie Grace and Belle Kent, her witch familiar, are living and working on the Faelan Werewolf Reservation—one that has banned the use of magic within its borders. Although they have their supporters—including ranger Aiden O’Connor, who once hated all things witch—Lizzie and Belle now face possible eviction.

But the Faelan Reservation is a place filled with wild magic which—when left unprotected—quickly becomes a draw to those who walk the darker paths. As Christmas approaches, a new evil comes to town—one that eats the souls of the living and animates the flesh of the dead.

As the body count grows and the trail of clues leads them to the doorstep of the local vampire, Lizzie, Belle, and Aiden must find the killer before death comes calling on them.

But the biggest threat of all may come in the form of a witch who sees through the veils of Lizzie’s carefully constructed lies and suspects the truth of who she really is.  

REVIEW

It  seem although I love this world created by this author,  for the second attempt I can’t quite keep my eyes open. I am falling asleep and I peaked at the spoilers at what to come. Maybe I shouldn’t or maybe I did the right thing.  When I read the first book , I was hooked and waited for more books to come out. But I have tried to read thing but It is still putting me to sleep. 

• Insightful 2
  • Haha 1
  • Star Struck 1
  • Party! 1

Favorite Favorite Artist  Bae Doona, Moon Chae Won, Gong Hyo Jin, Cho Seung Woo, Jang Hyuk,, Jo In Sung,  Gong Yoo

Drama watching now: Plot Love,  Chimera ,The Psychologist, Always have,Always will , Show Windows: Queens House

I really do have my groove back. 
ywKf5LKd-lWpDAYro0Bs8M2Qq5Fnc-yVExk4V1lE

I love this book and so funny. This reminds me of “What’s wrong with Secretary Kim” I think some may find this interesting except for the melodrama element of the drama. 
 Li Jun is a CEO of  a high Flying modern Tech company. Lately he has been firing people left and right and replacing them with robots. He is a workaholic and has a routine. 
Regina Lathan is his assistant and guess what?? She lives with him. She takes care of everything for him from the moment he wakes to when duties end. She did this for six years.  She has finally come to realization that she might be his assistant for the rest of her lies and then she decides to Quit. 
  What do you think happens after that. 

Since I started this book , I have to say I really do like this book. 
It is on sale now at Amazon Kindle or if you have Unlimited Kindle then it is free. 

Excerpt 

“Well, women generally fall into the apple, pear, or hourglass shapes. Apples are larger

on top, pears have more hips, and hourglass shapes sort of have all the right things in all the right places. Their shoulders and hips are about the same size, and their waist is narrower,” she replied. “I would describe you as hourglass?” Li-Jun asked, assuring his understanding. Regina raised her eyebrows and tilted her head, “Yes, but I am plus sized hourglass. I have too much of a few things in a few places. Shorter women would have the same descriptions but petite.”

Li-Jun looked at her. “I disagree,” he said with an affirmative nod. “I do not think a woman could have too much or too little if she carries herself well. I have always been pleased with your figure and appearance.”
He returned to looking at suits, and Regina slowly turned back to grab the items she returned to the closet. She was not sure what to make of their conversation’s twists and turns. “Are men food shapes as well? Steaks perhaps?” he asked. She continued her explanation. “You might hear a woman talk about men as pieces of meat or a particularly good-looking guy might have been a beefcake, back in the day. As far as their clothing shape goes, you are more likely to hear things like rectangle, square, and upside-down triangle. Some men are sort of blocky, and their height and width determine their proportions. Upside down triangle is more the cream of the crop in this instance,” Regina said. “What is an upside-down triangle?” Li-Jun asked. “Look in the mirror,” Regina said, pointing at the full-length mirror he used. “A trim narrow waist with broad shoulders. Physical traits of an ideal male specimen as far as nature is concerned.”

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Favorite Favorite Artist  Bae Doona, Moon Chae Won, Gong Hyo Jin, Cho Seung Woo, Jang Hyuk,, Jo In Sung,  Gong Yoo

Drama watching now: Plot Love,  Chimera ,The Psychologist, Always have,Always will , Show Windows: Queens House

1 hour ago, ssteph said:

Ikigai & Marie Kondo's Spark Joy 🧐🧐🧐

I like Marie Kondo.

Ikigai idk I need to re read again... im kind of not too sure what's the essence of it haha . . . What's on your book read list?

Btw, these days I read many of John Grisham again :

The Reckoning

* Its not whodunit but whydunit story. 

* What make it special is the setting around 1940's. 

* Half of it was like more of world war stories. 

* Its interesting as well, in old times racism was very strong. 

The Innocent Man

* Its from real life story.

* I almost can't believe how grave misjustice it, that someone life wasted in prison for almost 12 years.

• Like 3
  • Star Struck 2
  • Heart Eyes 1

13 hours ago, SilverMoonTea said:

Btw, these days I read many of John Grisham again

His books are so gripping. 🙂

My favourite John Grisham books are The Testament, The Firm, The Rainmaker, and The Confession.

Learnt about holographic wills in The Testament, and the made-up title of the paralegal in The Rainmaker was so darn funny.

×××××

Presently reading now the annotated 2nd volume of a favourite novel.  :pandablush:

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

spacer.png

Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero

Yey! A book thread! I love books and my favorite genre are Legal thrillers/dramas and mysteries. John Grisham is certainly one of my earlier reads. If you like this genre there's also Phillip Margolin (his books has female lawyers as protagonist) and also David Baldacci, I like his earlier works more, Absolute Power was one of his best in my opinion. Though I really hate the movie version of this. 

James Rollins, Tami Hoag and Lisa Gardner are my go to authors, meaning I usually pick up their new releases right away. 

• Insightful 4
  • Heart Eyes 2
12 minutes ago, cherrhys88 said:

Yey! A book thread! I love books and my favorite genre are Legal thrillers/dramas and mysteries. John Grisham is certainly one of my earlier reads. If you like this genre there's also Phillip Margolin (his books has female lawyers as protagonist) and also David Baldacci, I like his earlier works more, Absolute Power was one of his best in my opinion. Though I really hate the movie version of this. 

James Rollins, Tami Hoag and Lisa Gardner are my go to authors, meaning I usually pick up their new releases right away. 

I used to love thriller and mysteries book but now all I enjoy reading is Urban fiction and Sci Fi  book. 

• Like 4
  • Heart Eyes 1