Undercover 언더커버 [2021]

SnowBlob

@1217akkum4 i think Kim Tae Yool is also a sneaky guy..hiding behind the mask of he's a hero of common ppl (while in fact as @abs-oluteM said that he cunningly planned to sacrifice his comrade for his own gain). 

1 hour ago, 1217akkum4 said:

If he's a bad guy then to forgive junghyun is easy at least yeonsoo won't regret a thing.

Agree. 

In saying that....JH is already such a good guy (minus his lies) that he should be forgiven regardless :laugh:

• Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

Currently watching: 1night2days s4; Arashi's Diary: Voyage; The Great Escape S4; The Soldiers

@1217akkum4 @SnowBlob I don't think Im is manipulating the recording about Kim Tae Yol. It reinforces the reason why he had to kill KTY because he knows that KTY's ambition will be a threat to his (Im's)  long term plans of a SK he dreams of. KTY despite his short scenes is painted to be very  charismatic, and the fact that he is also cunning would mean that he can easily make it in politics and is not someone that Im could possibly control.

They took a year to film this or something if the translations are correct on the Naver article. Closing thoughts from the leads.

https://www.news1.kr/articles/?4336041

optimize

JJH had many action scenes , and put in a lot of work - no wonder he had to work out so hard at the gym. I was just telling @SnowBlobthat this cute ahjussi posts the exact same type of photos every day . :lol:

https://www.instagram.com/actor_jijinhee/?hl=en

• Insightful 1
  • Star Struck 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: The Impossible Heir - Fri-Sat:  -  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - In Blossom, Guess Who I Am

@abs-oluteM Seonhwa is pretty as woojin is handsome. They do resemble KHJ and JJH.

No wonder the drama is jjang. They even took a year to film this. The political things does interest me. It somehow reminds me of the movie When the Day Comes at some points. The setting of the 90s is convincing enough. Can't wait for tonight Ep. JJH is gonna have more actions I think. Glad that he finally made up with his wife. She loves him too much to let him go. I even cried when she thought that her husband died.

• Awesome 2
  • Clapping Hands 1

Wowww... 1 year of filming? I mean i know that the drama was scheduled to appear this year since last year.. But i thought the filming didnt happen until the airing date was confirmed. I just assumed there's an issue so they werent able to confirm airing date for so long. @abs-oluteM do you have any idea why it took one year to film? It's not like it had 50eps or something..

I'm hoping the last 2 eps get subbed faster this time so I can watch them sooner :yoongibtspls:

• Awesome 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

Currently watching: 1night2days s4; Arashi's Diary: Voyage; The Great Escape S4; The Soldiers

35 minutes ago, SnowBlob said:

@abs-oluteM do you have any idea why it took one year to film? It's not like it had 50eps or something

From the article, maybe it includes the time they started the script reading. I won't be surprised it took a long time . There were a lot of action scenes and it is not easy filming in Covid conditions. The excerpt from the article

JiJinHee:

"This time last year, I remember a day when many actors and staff gathered together for 'Undercover'. "It's been about a year before the last broadcast, but it's a process that I'm not used to," he said. " I think I've been able to concentrate more on Han Jung-hyun thanks to the hard work of my team members over the past time."

• Insightful 2
  • Shocked 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: The Impossible Heir - Fri-Sat:  -  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - In Blossom, Guess Who I Am

On 6/9/2021 at 12:22 AM, SnowBlob said:

@oppasaranghaeyo so does this mean that Kim Tae Yoo is just looking to be adored as a 'hero'???? So all these student protests were only to inflate his ego or something?? I don't quite get it. Why the need to become a 'hero' anyway? Unless, for example: he wanted to occupy a prominent position or get more money etc?? I hope they'll explain this revelation further in the next 2 eps. 

It does appear to be so @SnowBlob First, he wants to be someone so important to be able to have a discussion with the president himself. Then he wants to be a national hero, the people's hero. *puke*

With all that, I'm sure he's also looking to gain power and some form of high position, and that which will come with access to tons of money. So in short, he seeks recognition, money and power, all in the guise of patriotism. Aren't these what politicians of the world really strive for? Most of them, I mean. There are but a small number who really do work for the people's benefit and the country's well-being. 

Yeah, I too hope to see more revelation on what drove KTY to act the way he did, and which eventually cost him his life. Well, if you deal with the devil (IHR), what else is there to look forward to other than death? But my gosh, he was cruel, almost psychopathic in that he was ready to negotiate away the only evidence that could save the life of Hwang. KTY was more than ready to let Hwang die! 

On 6/9/2021 at 12:22 AM, SnowBlob said:

Even until the end of ep 14, it seems the bad guys are still ahead of the good guys. Now the only evidence that can implicate Im Hyung Rak is the tablet PC, is that right? I mean the ex-NIS agent lady and HJH could always testify but the testimonies alone wouldn't be able to serve his due punishment. LOL..honestly I dislike it when a drama serves us only one thing that can implicate a person... 

True. It appears that tablet PC is the only solid piece of evidence, plus the paperwork on Widow's Cruse Project, I suppose. But now we also have evidence of IHR personally going to the airport to claim the luggages (of cash?) from PWJ's return trip. When I saw that, I was thinking why he would do that himself? How arrogant of him to think that no CCTV or no one would question that act? Also, we have the smart work of HJH, his voice recording of the 3 baddies on the golf ground. So IHR is chasing after his presidential dream! 

I do hope that video tape showing IHR murdering KTY (back in 1991) that YJ meant to pass on to YS at the amusement park has a copy lying around somewhere, somehow. Shouldn't YJ have taken a condensed video off the screen as well, and not just photos off the screen? 

I don't know why YS told YJ that her testimony would not be enough to nail IHR. I thought there would be other testimonies too, like those of PJ's team such as JH and YG, who worked on the operation together with IHR's team. But I guess even if the testimonies are in sync, a higher bar is needed to convict a high government official which the CIO is tasked to do.

20 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

I was about to say that YS has a really good team but now I wonder if Chu Dong Woo betrayed her - was he the one who warned  Im in advance about the raid on his house.

I hope not. Wasn't DW the one who initially acted as a mole for those 3 baddies, and then realized YS is a good, sincere, and brave CIO Chief, and he then left that mole hole? I think it was IHR's minion who alerted him about the raid. 

What stood out to me:

• I'm just so happy that YS and JH have worked out their misunderstanding. Although JH was wrong to begin with, way back (in 1989?) when he fell in love with YS. He did give up everything for YS. What YJ told YS on the rooftop was so on point. YJ told YS not to just focus on why JH hid the truth from her, but what he has given up to be with her. YJ is a true romantic all the way lol.
  • I'm also glad to see tough YS taking on, head on, that evil and corrupt IHR. She was so cool when she told IHR in reply to his question, "Are you threatening me?": YS said, "It wasn't a threat. I'm declaring war."  YO!:love: 

:smug:You go girl! :cool: Can't wait for more!

12 hours ago, 1217akkum4 said:

Is Kim taeyeol a bad guy or is it Im hyungrak manipulating things?

How could it be IHR's manipulation at that time, in this specific case? It was KTY who tried to manipulate others to achieve his goals. In the end, not only did tons of students die during the protests and in the name of patriotism, KTY himself paid the price too, although in his case, for double-dealing and pretending to be a patriot, he deserved it.

10 hours ago, SnowBlob said:

In saying that....JH is already such a good guy (minus his lies) that he should be forgiven regardless :laugh:

HOHOHO! I agree. I had to agree haha. I just love JJH and KHJ unconditionally :wow:

7 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

One for YWJ and HSH who did a credible job playing their younger counterparts

Absoulutely! They were perfect as the younger versions of HJH and CYS. :wow: 

Edited by oppasaranghaeyo
  • Star Struck 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

Current Faves: Undercover & Mine & Bossam (Kdramas); The Handmaid's Tale (US Drama)l  

Watching: A Good Supper, Court Lady...  Waiting: Red Sky, Love (Season 2), Penthouse (Season 3)...  

1 minute ago, oppasaranghaeyo said:

:smug:You go girl! :cool: Can't wait for more!

I love this scene too. After that , you could tell it took everything in her to say that. 

Written preview...autotranslated on Naver

Hwang Jung-ho is acquitted at the retrial, but Yeon-su is shocked when he finds out about Kim Tae-yeol. Resolved, Yeon-su spurs the investigation in order to get a hold of the situation, and finds out that he has stolen the special activity expenses by tracking the account. Jeong-hyeon infiltrates the National Intelligence Service with the help of Chief Oh to seize the tablet PC, the only evidence that can capture the situation...!

There is pre-released here on Naver of JH secretly going into the NIS

https://search.naver.com/search.naver?where=video&sm=tab_jum&query=언더커버+15회

• Thanks 1
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Shocked 1

Eps 15 spoiler cuts. (Part 1)

From what I understand that Im (what an actor hmmm) came for Kim Tae Yol's funeral then , pretending to be an average citizen concerned about the future of the country & the students. He even shed tears. Of course at this point YS still thinks Park Doo Sik killed KTY. In the present, YS was shocked that this was the KTY she had thought so highly of. 

Spoiler

This scene was quite sad for me. Although Hwang Jung Ho was finally acquitted, YS could not bring herself to tell him the truth about KTY. He still thinks highly of KTY. But actually, KTY had the evidence to prove that Hwang was innocent but he used it as a bargaining chip to see the president when he had that chat with Im.

Spoiler

JH remains her emotional rock. She told him she could not tell Hwang the truth and felt like everything she believed in was a lie. But JH reminded her that she was doing this not because of KTY but because she wanted to help people. He said that Im sent the video to discourage her , so she shouldn't let him (Im) affect her

Spoiler

As expected , Kang announced her suspension, and when she came to work with the rest, Chu Dung Woo stopped her upon Kang's announcement. He said as her Chief of Staff, he will take over her position temporarily. The other staff were angry thinking he has betrayed them. They tried to hit him ahahah it turned out quite funny even in such a serious scene

Spoiler

The kids try to make her feel better but she told them she wasn't sad at her suspension. She promised the son, they will see their dad soon. She & JH still text each other. He continues to give her intel etc. 

JH and his ex boss went to steal a NIS access tag from someone working there. JH did it with no problems. Back in the taxi, the ex boss says that JH was born to be an agent. He asked how did he managed to live so long as JH instead of LSG. HJ says he made sure that he never met anyone , and always lived in fear that someone would recognise him as LSG. The boss says that he must be relieved now that he's real identity is known, but he says he still needs to live as Jung Hyun.

Spoiler

• Thanks 1

JH got inside  Im's office . He's got good intuition as an agent and he was able to finally locate the tablet. But Im had come back - somewhat knew that something was amiss and looked for the tablet. JH tried to escape but Im and some agents saw him & gave chase.

Spoiler

Meanwhile YS knowing that Im was starting to rig the elections and buying off candidates from the opposite political team, filmed DG swapping boxes of money. Will need more videos for this , but basically her team managed to trap the politicians who were going to be bribed if I am not mistaken. And DG was there...YS pointed the cops towards the van where DG was in.

Spoiler

DG drove off and tried to escape.  Chu Do Woo shot his van. Investigator Jeong managed to catch the DG's guy but DG escaped...so it was revealed that CDW and YS had wanted to make it seem like YS had been suspended. So he put up that show for her at the CIO office so that Im etc will think she is no longer able to do anything. Phew! Happy that CDW did not betray her and that it was all an act. She indeed has the best team. The rest were surprised to - she didn't tell the rest until this

Spoiler

Gosh ...looks like in the process of them escaping from being caught, ex boss got shot. JH rushed him to the hospital but think he died. Meanwhile DG managed to go see Im who of course was super angry for his tablet being stolen and gave DG a good beating.

Spoiler

Ending scene, YS  who is happy she made progress, drives home. Finally checks messages and JH had texted her that he found the tablet. She tried calling him but no answer. She saw a car break down by the side of the road , and stop thinking if should help ( hmmm I would never recommend lone female drivers to do this at night!) . And this was a trap ...Agent Ghost here to kidnap her

Preview

Im holding YS ransom to get JH to bring the tablet back. Does look like JH is able to save her and Im dies - or falls off somewhere...and now the legal process. Looks like JH will have his real identity revealed in the hearing?

• Thanks 1

@abs-oluteM I thank you in advance for what looks like live recapping from you??? I dare not read the two posts you made for ep 15..but I'll read them once I watch it :hearties:

21 hours ago, oppasaranghaeyo said:

I do hope that video tape showing IHR murdering KTY (back in 1991) that YJ meant to pass on to YS at the amusement park has a copy lying around somewhere, somehow. Shouldn't YJ have taken a condensed video off the screen as well, and not just photos off the screen? 

I don't know why YS told YJ that her testimony would not be enough to nail IHR. I thought there would be other testimonies too, like those of PJ's team such as JH and YG, who worked on the operation together with IHR's team. But I guess even if the testimonies are in sync, a higher bar is needed to convict a high government official which the CIO is tasked to do.

I'm not sure how the justice system works... by videos can be argued to be manipulated..so maybe they won't provide much solid proof of anything? I know from watching other shows that recording people without their consents is considered illegal recording and therefore inadmissible in court. While I think you'd be right to say that 'higher bar is needed' ... so some testimonies from 'little people' won't be able to convict people like IHR (but also people can lie when they testify so.. :idk:).

21 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

to seize the tablet PC, the only evidence that can capture the situation...!

So it's true the tablet PC is the ONLY evidence

21 hours ago, oppasaranghaeyo said:

But my gosh, he was cruel, almost psychopathic in that he was ready to negotiate away the only evidence that could save the life of Hwang. KTY was more than ready to let Hwang die! 

Unfortunately this truly happens irl... people with power just play around with other people's lives (and death) like they are nothing. It's so evil. 

Anyway..haven't checked the site yet but I hope ep 15 is subbed or something~~ 

• Like 1

I didn't have the time to recap the finale but it did end well and I will see if I can recap tomorrow if the subbed episode doesn't come out yet. From the raw cuts I know that JH had to go to jail for using a forged identity. Of course all the baddies were taken down. And I believe YS and the kids waited for him to be released from jail and they changed their surname to Lee. It was very sweet. 

• Thanks 1

I just finished the final episode and was very happy with how it all wrapped up. 

The final scenes of how JH saved YS from ImHR and the court case was nothing short of dramatic of course. But at the end of the day, justice was served since Im went to jail. I was glad he didn't die during that fall because death would have been to easy. What I also appreciated was that when JH took the witness stand , it was finally a recording from DG (who sent it to JH just before he died) which put Im to jail . The tablet could not actually be used since by law it was considered as obtained illegally. Also the recording brought up Lee Suk Gyu , so JH was prepared to admit to him using a false identity. He went to jail for one year for it. And YS also resigned after that to take responsibility.

I love the ending bit too when the kids & YS came to greet upon his release from jail. The kids changed their surnames . They also had a scene of JH taking the family to pay respects to his father's memorial. YS and Chu DW later on went on to open a law firm together with the rest of them joining as staff. Chu DW definitely played a big role in helping YS at the CIO. He was also the prosecutor for Im's case.

Also love how they did  the 1st & last scene. Whether he was LSG or HJH, he clearly loved YS and his family. And just like what Seung Mi mentioned , because they are family , you can forgive each other of anything.

gwtZCJE.png

OaNjKYc.png

Overall this was a very good watch and one that I can add to dramas I enjoyed in 2021. Strong casting and a great plot. Recommended!

• Star Struck 1

I really like the way they wrap up this drama. Although it's not grand or anything but I feel process of YS forgiving HJH and how they once again became a family unit was nicely done. It wasn't rushed and felt quite real. I wouldnt lie though .. I still wish YS forgave him much sooner :laugh: 

@abs-oluteM I'm also glad that IHR didnt die...but seriously..he was one lucky evil guy (after falling down from such height..landing on concretes too..and still recovered and was able to walk well....:psweatduck:). I just hope he's not treated like a king in prison..this is something we wont know as it's not shown in the drama (all we know is he still had that smug face even in prison). 

I love how finally HJH is able to accept and live with his true name Lee Suk Gyu. I would be disappointed if he were able to continue on living with HJH as his name. And what I like even more is that the kids even changed their surname! They truly became Lee Seung Goo and Lee Seung Mi :PsyWhat:

Overall for me...it's a nice drama... It does lack of grand-ness (again for me...but the fighting scenes were jjang).. The bad guys were ahead of the good guys most of the time which was quite frustrating to watch. However..our lead actors acting are superb. They re believable and kudos to them to be able to bring tears to my eyes just by acting simple touching moments :hearties:

Another drama off my list...just in time for a few new ones I'm looking forward to watching.

Thank you @abs-oluteM @1217akkum4 @oppasaranghaeyo to accompany me on this thread until the end. I enjoyed reading all your thougths xx

• Clapping Hands 2

I do have a few things to ask:

1. Did YS not have family eg parents and siblings? Or did it say early on where they were or whether she was sn orphan?

2. Why did ex NIS agent (agent cha?)..the one who left the docs in the locker's train station) try to pass on the docs to YS at the first place? 

3. Now...why would JH threaten IHR that he would drop the tablet PC? Not sure what it would do...if it got destroyed because it was dropped from high above..then wouldnt it benefit IHR more??

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SnowBlob said:

I do have a few things to ask:

1. Did YS not have family eg parents and siblings? Or did it say early on where they were or whether she was sn orphan?

2. Why did ex NIS agent (agent cha?)..the one who left the docs in the locker's train station) try to pass on the docs to YS at the first place? 

3. Now...why would JH threaten IHR that he would drop the tablet PC? Not sure what it would do...if it got destroyed because it was dropped from high above..then wouldnt it benefit IHR more??

My personal thoughts based on what I understood about the drama

1. I don't recall they explain her family. She's only close to her reporter friends and the new BH secretary, I forget the names, keke

2. I guess it's because YS is known for her righteous self. She was a human right activist and she defends JH for being wrongly accused of murder for years. If Minho passes the doc to her than he's sure she's going to investigate it. It's important since the people behind the docs even kills those who become obstacles in their purpose to create their own ideal country.

3. Because the tablet contains information of the slush funds worth billions won in a swizz bank account. He uses that to bribe gov officials and there are fake accounts information where he sends the money. Of course he won't risk losing that. As we know that we can still use other tablet PC or phone to check our bank account but to lose the fake accounts data and the flow of the funds is another thing

I had a great time watching undercover. Thanks so much for creating this discussion site

• Thanks 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

@1217akkum4 

1. So my memory was right.. it's interesting how YS' family background wasn't explored that much. I mean usually dramas will sort of showing us both sides of lead characters' family situation..

2. In other words, it's just a coincidence that MinHo sent the doc to a righteous lawyer...who in fact married to another ex-NIS agent AND also had tie with MinHo in a way. heheheh

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SnowBlob said:

@1217akkum4

2. In other words, it's just a coincidence that MinHo sent the doc to a righteous lawyer...who in fact married to another ex-NIS agent AND also had tie with MinHo in a way. heheheh

Oh, wait, now that you mention it, perhaps he knows YS is JH wife since He, JH and Yeonjoo are friends. Yeonjoo knows he married YS so I guess MH knows too, besides she's a righteous lawyer

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1