[K-Artist] Bae Doo Na 배두나

bai

bdn-1-bai-jh

Bae Doo-na (배두나) fan page : gallery & updates

Career Story | FilmographyAwards History

Bae Doona (Korean: 배두나; Korean pronunciation: [pɛduna]; born October 11, 1979) is a South Korean actress and photographer. She became known outside Korea for her roles as a political activist in Park Chan-wook's Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance (2002), archer Park Nam-joo in Bong Joon-ho's The Host (2006), and as a doll in Air Doll (2009). She has had English-speaking roles in the Wachowski films Cloud Atlas (2012) and Jupiter Ascending (2015), and their TV series Sense8 (2015–2018).

Her latest work is on a Netflix period zombie thriller Kingdom, and Stranger aka Secret Forest.

Description from wiki

bdn-2-bai-jh.jpg

• Like 3
  • Star Struck 1

G O O D  V I B E S  

♪ click me below for my cw, edits, about 

d r a m a s a f f a i r . c a r r d . c o 

bdn-3-bai-jh.jpg

• Early life
Spoiler

Bae Doona was born in Seoul, South Korea. Growing up, She would follow her mother, Kim Hwa-young, a stage actress, to theater and rehearsal halls, learning lines of dialogue as she went along. This did not initially lead her towards acting, saying: "People might say that since my mother is a theater actor, I became an actress. But to me, those experiences probably had the opposite effect. On the contrary, because I saw many great actors working with my mother, I thought this was a job only people with extraordinary talent could do."

•  1998-2005: Beginnings

Spoiler

A Hanyang University student in 1998, she was scouted by a model talent agency in Seoul. This led to her modeling clothing for COOLDOG's catalog, among others. In 1999 she switched to acting before completing her studies at Hanyang University, debuting in the TV drama School. Later that year, she appeared as the ghost in The Ring Virus, a Korean remake of the Japanese horror film Ring.

In 2000, director Bong Joon-ho cast Doona in the film Barking Dogs Never Bite for her willingness to do the part without makeup, something other South Korean actresses were unwilling to do. She later cited this part as the role that pushed her to pursue a serious acting career, saying: "That film made me decide to become an actress – a good actress – and that film thereby changed my whole life." In Kim So-young's documentary Women's History Trilogy (2000–2004), she stated her admiration for veteran South Korean actress Yoon Jeong-hee. In the same documentary, Bae stated that her own most memorable scene was being chased by the homeless man throughout the apartment in Barking Dogs Never Bite. That same year she gave a risque performance (albeit with a body double for the more intense scenes) in Plum Blossom, and started getting more work on television.

This was followed by 2001's Take Care of My Cat, directed by Jeong Jae-eun, and 2002's Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, directed by Park Chan-wook.

In 2003 both Tube and Spring Bears Love disappointed at the box office. After completing principal photography on Spring Bears Love, she decided to take time off from film work, saying: "I never lived even once without having anything to do. The moment a film was presented to the press, I was almost always already shooting the next one [...] I thought by myself: now my first cycle is really over. While I rest a little, I wanted to make a fresh new start."

During her hiatus from film, she took up photography, examples of which can be seen on her official blog and in her published photo-essay books. She also continued to work on TV, starring in Country Princess and Rosemary. Doona acted on stage in 2004, for a production of Sunday Seoul (not to be confused with the South Korean movie of the same title), a play co-written by Park Chan-wook.

In 2005 Bae acted as an exchange student who joins a band in the Japanese film Linda Linda Linda, then played a divorced woman in the experimental omnibus TV series Beating Heart.

• 2006-present: Breakthrough success

Spoiler

She reunited with Bong Joon-ho in 2006's The Host, which became the highest-grossing film in South Korean box office history. For her role, she trained in archery for months. She then returned to television, through the series Someday and How to Meet a Perfect Neighbor.

After winning accolades for Air Doll, a 2009 film by Japanese director Hirokazu Kore-eda about an inflatable doll that develops a soul and falls in love, Bae made back-to-back TV series in 2010, playing a high school teacher in Master of Study, and a night club singer in Gloria.

Her 2012 sports film As One was based on the true story of the 1991 world table tennis championship held in Chiba, Japan where North Korean player Ri Bun-hui and South Korean player Hyun Jung-hwa defeated the Chinese team. Bae and co-star Ha Ji-won were trained by Hyun herself, and Bae learned to play left-handed like Ri. Afterwards she made a brief appearance in the science fiction film Doomsday Book.

Bae made her English-language, Hollywood debut in Cloud Atlas, as Sonmi~451, a clone in a dystopian Korea. She also played the minor roles of Tilda Ewing, the wife of an abolitionist in pre-Civil War America, and a Mexican woman who crosses paths with an assassin. Co-directed by The Wachowskis and Tom Tykwer, the US$100 million adaptation of David Mitchell's novel premiered at the 2012 Toronto International Film Festival to divisive reviews, though Bae's performance was praised by critics. In a 2019 interview, she said of the Wachowskis, "They have become as important as my mother; they have my respect and my trust. When they contacted me to participate in Cloud Atlas, I couldn’t believe it. We first met on Skype and I made a demo tape that I sent them. They gave me an important role despite my lack of English proficiency. I believe that a certain understanding developed between us at that time, which pushed me to follow them on Sense8. Thanks to them, I have had opportunities that are not given to all the actors. Most importantly, it is the passion they bring to their work that has made our collaboration so enjoyable. They made me want to surpass myself and enabled me to overcome fear and limits."

Back in Korea, Bae next starred in the 2014 film A Girl at My Door, directed by July Jung and produced by Lee Chang-dong. Playing a small-town police officer who tries to save a mysterious young girl she suspects is a victim of domestic violence, Bae said she was so fascinated by the story and emotionally challenging role that she decided to star in the movie without pay three hours after reading the script. The film premiered in the Un Certain Regard section of the 2014 Cannes Film Festival, and Bae later won Best Actress at the Asian Film Awards for her performance.

In 2015, she again worked with the Wachowskis for their space opera Jupiter Ascending, in which she played a small supporting role as a bounty hunter. This was followed by Sense8, an American science fiction series created by the Wachowskis and co-written by J. Michael Straczynski. Concerning eight strangers from different cultures and parts of the world who share a violent psychic vision and suddenly find themselves telepathically connected, Sense8 began streaming on Netflix in 2015.

Bae then appeared in a 90-minute web film directed by her older brother, commercial director Bae Doo-han. Titled Red Carpet Dream, it is a biopic of how Bae dreamed of becoming an actress when she was young and her 20-year acting career. Commissioned for the 20th anniversary of the Busan International Film Festival and sponsored by MAC Cosmetics, the film screened at the festival as well as on Facebook and cable channel CGV.

Back on the big screen, Bae starred alongside Ha Jung-woo in the survival drama film The Tunnel. She then teamed up with Japanese director Shunji Iwai and actor Kim Joo-hyuk for the short film, Chang-ok's Letter.

Bae returned to Korean TV screens in 2017 with mystery legal thriller Stranger, playing a passionate police officer. The series was a hit and gained favorable reviews for its tight plot, gripping sequences and strong performances.

In June 2018, Bae was one of 14 professionals from the Korean film industry invited to join the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (AMPAS). The same year, she starred in crime thriller The Drug King. She also stars in Netflix's zombie series Kingdom, and romance drama Matrimonial Chaos, a remake of the Japanese television series of the same name.

• Like 3

G O O D  V I B E S  

• 9 months later...

Hello!~

Again my half baked thread of Bae Doona T-T I'm so sorry! Hope I can do better soon! Just recovering from everything after sheeeeet happens.

Btw while construction of filmography & awards still in another priority for now, the first is update or remini awesome contents of her.

I'm amazed she is a great baker!!!!! OMG. Wanna taste those cookies & cakes by chef Doona😭🙏

OK.

Excited to wait for the Sea of Silence release date! With Gong Yoo and Jung Woosung.

YEAY!😍👌

https://www.elle.com.sg/2020/09/08/gong-yoo-bae-doona-rumoured-to-star-in-new-miniseries-produced-by-jung-woo-sung/

• Clapping Hands 1

G O O D  V I B E S  

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

chidai-bae-doona.gif

By Kwak Yeon Soo

Bae Doona borrows her character's words to speak out on social issues

optimize.jpg

Bae Doona said the thriller drama film "Next Sohee" is an emotional tribute to victims of institutional abuse.

Inspired by a real-life event, the film revolves around Sohee (Kim Si Eun), a high school student who starts job training at a call center. Sohee cannot bear the highly stressful work culture, which leads to her suicide. Detective Oh Yu Jin (Bae) starts to follow the traces to reveal the truth behind Sohee's death. The film accuses the company and school of negligence.

"There are still many Sohees out there who are barely clinging to life after societal exploitation," she said during a recent interview with The Korea Times. "I want to say to those who are hanging in there: 'thank you for not giving up and holding on.'"

"When I was in my 20s, life seemed vague at times. I could have been happy, but I was not. I want people who are going through tough times to feel less pain. I just hope for a better world for young people. The social issues that involve children or adolescent victims really outrage me because they are weak and vulnerable."

Bae said it was not easy playing Yu Jin's character who becomes more edgy and angry as the story unfolds.

"During the investigation, Yu Jin meets up with officials at the call center, school and provincial office of education. She gets angry about how nobody is willing to admit it's their fault and work toward a solution," she said.

"Next Sohee" debuted as the closing film at the 2022 Cannes Film Festival's parallel sidebar Critics' Week. It also earned critical accolades, winning awards at the 42nd France Amiens International Film Festival, 26th Fantasia International Film Festival in Canada and Tokyo Filmex in Japan.

Bae revealed that she advised Director July Jung to submit their film to overseas film festivals.

"I was confident that this film was going to be a good one when I watched Si Eun's acting through the monitor. I told July, 'Go on, edit the film and submit it to film festivals around the globe. I think it's going to get positive reviews,'" Bae said.

optimize-1.jpg

A scene from  the film "Next Sohee" / Courtesy of Twinplus Partners

Sadly, the actress could not attend the Cannes festival last year because she was filming Zack Snyder's Netflix sci-fi film, "Rebel Moon."

"Next Sohee" is the second film Bae and Jung have worked on together following the 2014 film "The Girl at My Door," which was invited to the "Un Certain Regard" selection of the 67th Cannes Film Festival in 2014.

Opening up about their friendship, Bae said, "I like empathetic and kind-hearted people. As a creator, however, July is stubborn, outspoken and sharp. Most of all, she makes great movies."

Bae has worked on international projects, such as the Wachowskis' "Cloud Atlas" (2012) and "Jupiter Ascending" (2015) as well as Hirokazu Kore-eda's "Air Doll" (2009) and "Broker" (2022). However, she still looks for diversity when choosing projects.

"I think my Hollywood projects are blockbusters that are typically large-scale and entertaining. But when I pick Korean projects, I try to focus on subjects that are a bit different or stories that are worth sharing with audiences," she said.

The 43-year-old actress said she loves her job despite feeling tired of jetlag and long working hours. "I really love my job. Whenever I walk into the set, I feel alive and proud of myself. It's a privilege to be able to speak out about certain issues through my characters," Bae said.

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

CurrentlyLiesGrden•CYouIn19thLif•Battle4HappinssWaitingRvenant•Heartb•NumbersFinishedBingeWatchingRace•B.Knight•GloryIIDaily•2D1NS4•RunMan

• 4 weeks later...

bae-doona-doona.gif

Content Writing Reporter Ahn Yu Jin

202303030718082410-2-20230303072102265.j

Goodman Story Entertainment officially announced that the actress had signed an exclusive contract with the agency.

“We are delighted to be working together with actress Bae Doona, who is receiving the love and trust of people all over the world for the broad range and depth of her acting,” said Goodman Story Entertainment.

Bae Doona, who started her acting career in the KBS 2TV drama 'School' in 1999, has since starred in the films 'Revenge is Mine', 'The Host', 'Air Doll', 'Cloud Atlas', ' Tunnel', dramas 'Majestic Her', 'Sense8' 'Secret Forest', 'Kingdom', 'Sea of Silence', etc., created numerous representative works and has built a world of acting with its own distinct color.

They went on, “We will be unsparing in our active support of Bae Doona, who maintains a sincere passion for acting, good vibes, open-minded and continuously takes on new challenges despite already being fully recognized as a consummate actor, so please give her lots of anticipation and support.”

Notably, Goodman Story Entertainment is also home to Bae Doona's “Forest of Secrets” (also known as “Stranger”) co-star Cho Seung Woo, actors Choi Jae Woong, Moon Jong Won, Yang Jun Mo, Moon Tae Yu, Kang Pil Seok, Park Seong Il, Yang Seung Ri, Lee Dong Soo, Gong Hyun Ji, Lee Eun Jae, Yoon Hye Jin, Kim Na Young, Kim Do Hyun and Hwang Soon Jong.

https://m.newsen.com/

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

CurrentlyLiesGrden•CYouIn19thLif•Battle4HappinssWaitingRvenant•Heartb•NumbersFinishedBingeWatchingRace•B.Knight•GloryIIDaily•2D1NS4•RunMan