Start-Up 스타트업 [2020]

Jane

FUN BET : Who will Dalmi end up with ?   

12 members have voted

1. 1. Who will Dalmi will end up with? Now think carefully as this is a bet. Winners can use a profile picture of their OTP. But LOSERS will have to use the face of DoSan's cousin , Nam Cheon Ho

• Do San
    • Ji Pyeong
    • No one
    • It doesn't matter to me ( specially for Mademoiselle :P)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/08/2020 at 11:09 AM

33 minutes ago, Alice Wonderland said:

And i would like to see how these two girls seeing that big company SandBox was probably coming from their dad's ideas. If he was alive then he will prove to them that all of his dream were real and he's not a fraud. Dad was just unlucky that day so he couldn't make it but I believe these young pioneers will do.

Same here . It would be such a lovely tribute to his legacy!.

KSH is fantastic when he acts agitated. I have loved him since Strongest Deliveryman , and have watched every single drama even Waikiki 2.  Maybe it is time I re-open a thread here for him . :thinking:

Spoiler

giphy.gif

Preview for eps 6 ...ooo I so need the translations

• Like 5
  • Heart Eyes 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  -  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - 

I just completed watching episode 4..... needless to say i am hooked... it is also interesting how forgiving seo dal mi is... and ironically that sand thing was for won in jae... ! 

And in the end the other mentor/VC from USA who just came to Korea and the background words - "Be Careful , the person may seem like a spring breeze at first but may turn into a strong winter wind and change your life completely". He will put a more than strong impression amongst them.

And also as per Preview , It seems that Han Ji Pyong has serious objection at Seo Dal Mi becoming CEO since she is a high school graduate.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Currently watching

K-Drama :  

C-Drama :  Road Home

Eps 4 continues to be pretty fun. 

I laughed my head off when Ji Pyeong wrote that DoSan's birthday wish was to play Go-Stop ( the card game ) with a lot of people. While he was inspired by what he saw on TV at that time, I believe there's some truth to it . Nevertheless that brought us to an interesting scenario - Do San senses that Ji Pyeong too likes Dal Mi. And I thought it very interesting that the writer continues to show JiPyeong's POV throughout the game.  [Some of my family members are also watching this , they had no idea that Ji Pyeong is the so called 2nd lead - they thought he was the main lead given how the way the story is unfolding]

Anyway , I was quite surprised that Do San's secret would be out so soon - that he had actually not secured funding. I agree with you @movingwheel that I was surprised Dal Mi overlooked this news quite fast . For most people this may have rang some alarm bells that this guy could be a fraud . But she accepted it quickly , forgave him and even offered to come on board to join his start-up.  I doubt though she'd be as forgiving once she finds out those letters weren't from him. 

• Like 5

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  -  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - 

Drama continues to do well ratings wise.

https://sports.chosun.com/news/ntype.htm?id=202010270100198470013533&servicedate=20201026

ElOHPfEUYAA7zwh?format=jpg&name=900x900

Spoiler

Meanwhile, the fourth episode of tvN's Saturday-Sunday drama "Startup" topped the list of households in the Seoul metropolitan area with an average of 5.3 percent and a maximum of 6.3 percent, a national average of 4.7 percent and a maximum of 5.5 percent, including cable and general programming. The ratings of 2049 men and women, which is the target of tvN, recorded 4.3% on average in the metropolitan area, 5.0%, 3.6% on average nationwide, and 4.1% on all channels including terrestrial channels in the metropolitan area (based on cable, IPTV, satellite-integrated pay platforms/provided by Nielsen Korea).

Number one most searched drama on Naver for the recent week is this drama , and surprise surprise 

Ji Pyeong ( Kim Seon Ho ) is the number one most searched character

source: https://www.instagram.com/baesuzy.id/?hl=en

#1 StartUp Han Jipyeong
#3 StartUp Seol Dalmi
#4 StartUp Nam Dosan
#6 StartUp Seo Chung Myung ( Dalmi's dad)
#8 StartUp Won Injae

• Like 4

When  travel becomes safe and possible again, it would be nice to go back to SK. This drama filmed in many pretty places . You can read more here: https://www.kpopmap.com/5-filming-locations-of-start-up-that-you-need-to-know-about/

A couple of highlights from the article 

3- SAND BOX front - Oil Tank Culture Park, Seoul

For this scene in front of SAND BOX, it was filmed at the Oil Tank Culture Park.

5 Filming Locations Of "Start-Up" That You Need To Know About

Netflix

You can read more about the Oil Tank Culture Park in English here.

Spoiler

Oil Tank Culture Park Official

5- Grandma's corn dog truck (2nd) - Yeouido Hangang Park by the floating stage, Seoul

Now, the grandmother opened a corn dog truck by Hangang River. It is located at Yeouido Hangang Park by the floating stage.

Netflix

• Like 4
  • Heart Eyes 3

This episode is not as funny as 3 but it's still very engaging. Maybe this drama is double male lead, Ji Pyeong's presence is too strong to be just a second male lead. And I really like him too. When I saw the 3 stooges are getting conned, I was thinking "OMG, where's Ji Pyeong" and thank god he really came. 

If Ji Pyeong is to have a loveline not with Suzy, I hope it isn't with the sister In Jae, but the new female character just showed up. In Jae maybe can go with the American Korean played by Jasper Cho Tae Kwan. :P

P.S. Love that scene Do San's parents complaining Do San slammed the door on them and he came back just to explain it was the wind (so funny and cute/sweet), and the Mum slammed the door twice and made sure to tell Dad it's not the wind. LMAO.

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Haha 6

In support of my theory lol

They relate to each other...

Raj4beE.png

While this one was not even listening and just concentrating on his cards...

huqs6FG.png

Then he was asked to choose. What an a** I thought, because he should not have to think about it for even a minute...

EZShbN8.png

But he came up with this pearl of wisdom so 1 point for NDS. However, HJP is the one who kept SDM's plant and taking care of it. The saga continues...

0DaraYn.png

Is there any k-drama where the second male lead gets the girl? I like CEOs. LOL.

Looking forward to the hackathon. Hope they show the business details.

@abs-oluteM Yes, SK is looking more attractive. That view of Hangang River is nice! I also want to try the corn dog, in addition to the fried chicken and corn pizza haha.

Edited by Chocolate
  • Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

Episode 3-4

Have to say I agree with all of you. The humour is just so on point in this series. I am literally laughing out laugh a lot of the time. I think it's because they are so super good at spoofing things that we've all seen and experienced. Like IT/engineering guys over-explaining things in very literal terms when a girl is just trying to get their attention, or pretending to look smart while doing something not so smart (saying the words of the national anthem to look like they're having a serious conversation.) I really like how witty this series is :laugh: 

I agree with @mademoiselle that it feels like a double male lead series, even though technically JP is going to be second lead in the romance department. It's kind of like a rivarly-bromance, where they both have strengths that fill in the weaknesses of the other character. I also agree completely that I don't want JP to end up with the sister, though they are both smart and can be cut-throat in business. :psweatduck:

I'm glad the lying is over though- I was wondering how much longer they could keep it up in the story without it being a stretch! And I was surprised that she wasn't mad, though I guess it was better to keep cool in front of her sister. What I don't get is how the sister can be in this competition when it looks like she had quite a well known company? I thought Sandbox was for new CEOs and entrepreneurs. :ChikoWTF:

Overall, I'm finding the pacing of this drama to be going so well - fun, fast but even pacing, interesting characters. It's such a fun ride. :CharmanderYay:My favourite character is still JP - I think DS is painfully humorous to watch, but let's just say he reminds me too much of someone I used to know and I can't unsee it! I do think he's a sweet, dorky character who is trying his best to better himself though. I think it was @gilaswan who said she wouldn't feel sorry for JP because his motivations were not for DM whereas DS is pure and innocent - I can see that, but I think both DS and JP are weirdly similar characters, both developing in the opposite ways. DS needs to be more practical and less humble, JP needs to be less sharp and more humble. I will feel sorry for JP for not getting DM - he's so business savvy, but he'll be the last person who understands himself out of everyone else. It'll hurt when it happens!

@abs-oluteM I love that you included the filming locations! Haha, I feel like this drama is so pretty and colourful that I would love to travel to see the real life sets!

• Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 3

Currently watching: Doctor Slump // Queen of Tears // The Impossible Heir

Current Obsessions: ❤ Lee Jae wook // Park Hyung Sik // Yoon Park

Podcast: These Dramatic Days

47 minutes ago, Chocolate said:

Is there any k-drama where the second male lead gets the girl? I like CEOs. LOL.

Hmm quite rare...the only one I recall is Mama Fairy & The Woodcutter.

Yes, I saw that spoiler t0o and tweeted about it. :cry:

I also like this CEO . I feel secure :smile:.  But maybe I need to give Do San a chance. See how he performs later . 

@mademoiselle @JenL There is no love -line between Ji Pyeong and the sis. In a press con or some interview, I remember it was said that they don't actually have many scenes together. 

But this is the character chart

ElQ-rbuU0AAKTqj?format=jpg&name=4096x409

• Like 5

LOL, I wouldn't be surprised of that potential spoiler.

Spoiler

Writernim did kill off similar character/s in her other dramas for impact purposes.

Ji Pyeong is also taking care of the Money Tree. I suppose it is left with him because she gave it to fake Do San, huh? 

I've been forgetting to say this, why can't Ji Pyeong just said he used a pen name and Do San identity at the time, and the lies wouldn't have gone this far. *Facepalm* Of course this is the logical path but if it does go this way we wouldn't have a show to watch.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
12 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

LOL, I wouldn't be surprised of that potential spoiler.

Reveal hidden contents

Writernim did kill off similar character/s in her other dramas for impact purposes.

I've been forgetting to say this, why can't Ji Pyeong just said he used a pen name and Do San identity at the time, and the lies wouldn't have gone this far. *Facepalm* Of course this is the logical path but if it does go this way we wouldn't have a show to watch.

Hahaha, I agree - I forgot to mention it in my first post when I said this drama has some stretchy, only-in-dramaland, scenarios. It would have been entirely possible and more realistic for JP to just say he changed his name to be DS because he was self-conscious in the past and meet her. But I guess that would have been a different drama and they'd have to fire Nam Joo-Hyuk because DS wasn't in the story :laugh:

I think I'm just going with the idea that seems to be the drama's logic: at first JP was resistant to helping DM, it was just a favour to her grandma and he didn't actually want to be involved - he would just play puppet-master to DS for one day. Also, I think he didn't want to risk his reputation -it would be a lot easier to find out stuff about him since he's a rich, famous businessman, but also he seems like the careful type and wouldn't want rumours he was hanging around a woman.

Edited by JenL
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, JenL said:I think it was @gilaswan who said she wouldn't feel sorry for JP because his motivations were not for DM whereas DS is pure and innocent

Naw, it wasn't me. I was recounting a comment I read on another blog about JP. I'm totally in love with JP and think Dalmi should be with him. As @Chocolatepounted out, JP totally gets Dalmi whereas DS is the total opposite. DS has certainly developed a crush on Dalmi but right now he's trying to be all he's not just for her - not quite the right foundation for a relationship. He knows that everything Dalmi thinks he is, is actually JP. That scene outside her house after his "birthday party" where he keeps asking her what it is she likes about him was quite sad - for every statement she made, he thought to himself, "well, that's not me." But indeed, he's the one who wanted to keep the bluff gong because he somehow wanted to live up to those expectations she had of him. In a sense, it was the motivation he needed and he knew he could use this to get JP to finally agree to mentoring Samsan Tech. 

From Ep1, we do see that while Halmeoni started JP out on this letter writing thing and probably was involved in some of the crafting of the subsequent letters, JP carried on for a while on his own too. There's a lot of him in those letters and he'd kept her replies for years. He knew too that the meal Halmeoni prepared was for him and not Dosan per se, but up till episode 4, I'm still wondering why JP is so invested in turning Dosan into the man of Dalmi's dreams when he could be the one. Is it all because of Halmeoni? But Halmeoni said to stop the ruse already. As someone who's not eloquent and can barely look someone in the eye when talking, he was able to convince JP to go along with it still. I'm sure JP wasn't all that easily convinced by Dosan. 

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 3
On 10/25/2020 at 11:00 PM, Chocolate said:

I would still be very surprised if SDM ends up with NDS. He does not understand her and this was shown at the beginning of episode 3 when he was reading the letters. Whereas HJP obviously does and that is why he is her "first love". He even narrated the reply to her text message to NDS 10/15? years later - that should be a sign. He was her emotional crutch during the difficult year after her parents' divorce. If all that could be thrown aside for her to end up with NDS, then what would have been the point of this backstory? We'll see.

@Chocolate @gilaswan I love JP and want him to get the girl in my heart :BulbaOWO: I'm just going to say sometimes I'm a sucker for the second lead, especially when they are given heaps of airtime in the first half of the series. But I think the thing about this drama is that although JP was a source of comfort to DM and understood her in the past, I guess the series is trying to show they technically aren't very similar anymore. JP is super successful and he's someone who's made it. His attitude is very guarded and he's a perfectionist. He's good at reading people, but he also knows he's good at reading people which also allows him (consciously or subconsciously) to twist others to having a certain view about him. Although he cares about DM, I guess it could be argued that he isn't necessarily similar to her - he just knows what she wants and was able to reflect that in his letters to make her happy. Good business people often have this skill to be able to negotiate with others. :PikaSwag:

But DM is different in a lot of ways - she's down on her luck and just starting to make it. She's an open book and I think accepting of making mistakes and being seen as different, rather than perfect. And that's similar to DS too. They're both people who are starting out again after a failed start, they both are people who don't mind being different and quirky - so they already have that in common and can grow together, which is not the case with JP. DS is your average computer nerd, who is perhaps not super great at showing his feelings, but feels deeply - having personally known people like this before, they can be cute and loyal, but frustrating because logic often gets in the way of them being just straightforward with their feelings - I feel like we'll be rooting for DS in the end, though I'm almost there's going to be some frustrating scenes, like with the blood types :laugh:

After saying all of this though, my heart still belongs to the second lead :heart: And I'm still going to be sad for him when he gets his bittersweet ending :PiplupCry:

On 10/26/2020 at 12:02 AM, mademoiselle said:

@JenL Hahahaha when you watch a lot of kdramas, soon all of the actors look familiar and you know them all. And they can be all over the dramas too. For example right now I'm also watching More Than Friends, Nam Joo Hyuk's mother plays Ong Seong Wu's mother in there. Ahn Nae Sang, who plays the secretary in Dol Sol La is Ong Seong Wu's father in More Than Friends. The actor who plays Kang Han Na's stepfather is also in Tale of Nine Tailed. The actress who plays Suzy's mother is Seolhyun's mother in The Private Lives. Confused much? :lol:

Halmoni, Suzy and Nam Do San's father (Kim Won Hae) are regulars of writer Park Ji Eun's dramas. So you'll see them in her previous projects.

Hahaha, I can't decide if I watch a lot of K-dramas or not. I have seen a lot more than some people I know, so I guess I'm somewhere in the middle. I think some years I watch heaps, but other years I must skip months for either Taiwanese or American shows. I also have a terrible memory - so I do recognise the faces a lot of the times....but cannot remember where from. It's all soooo confusing...which is why I was so happy to pinpoint exactly where all the actors came from this time! :laugh:  What other dramas has Park Ji Eun penned? I probably have seen some of them before!

On 10/25/2020 at 11:28 PM, abs-oluteM said:

The amount of screen time that Ji Pyeong has , the way his backstory has been told , his relationship with the grandma only fuels my SLS. I am surprised too by the amount of emotional investment the writer has weaved in for his character. And how I see it , the Do San that Dal Mi has fallen for is actually JiPyeong as the letters were written by him. Lies or not , it has his imprint. And we always see him witnessing her at her lowest points - this has to mean something . So I don't know what the writer is intending . Lol!

I think the writer is just trying to crush us emotionally :lol:  Telling the tragic backstory in such detail is just driving a knife into our little hearts :letalQQ: It's a very effective way to create a triangle and have 50-50 support for both guys, haha. For me personally, I like JP because I think guarded characters are interesting. Seeing them peel back their layers is always going to be bittersweet and full of character development and emotional pain. And I think I already feel sorry for him so I feel more empathetic towards him?? Even though I came here for NJH, I agree with you @abs-oluteM that he can be a bit of a hit or miss - I've ignored the dramas that people said he wasn't strong in, so I've only really watched Weightlifting fairy in full and loved him in it. But I'm impressed at his acting here. He's very convincing as an IT guy with like a potentially INTJ/ISTJ personality type :laugh:

Edited by JenL
  • Like 5
  • Heart Eyes 2

4 minutes ago, JenL said:

What other dramas has Park Ji Eun penned? I probably have seen some of them before!

You probably have. She writes many popular ones. And oops, not Park Ji Eun but Park Hye Ryun!

• Dream High
  • I Hear Your Voice
  • Pinocchio
  • While You Were Sleeping
  • The Page Turner 🎹

Park Ji Eun wrote My Love From the Star, The Producers, Legend of the Blue Sea and Crash Landing On You.

• Like 4
  • Clapping Hands 2

@sstephThat would be an interesting  development

Spoiler

jf indeed In Jae was the one who suggested that sand be used. I think that could be some sort of foreshadowing of there being a twist to the story since the sandbox CEO linked In Jae with the dad while reading the applications. 

And whoever who caught that name tag having the word Sandbox has super sharp eyes!

Yay @-StrongTower-. Good to see you join us. 

13 hours ago, JenL said:

He's very convincing as an IT guy with like a potentially INTJ/ISTJ personality type :laugh:

I do think that NJH is good choice for this role. As much as I root for JP  and do feel that KSH has this presence to him in the scenes that he's in , I do find myself warming up to Do San. I think what is lacking is DS's backstory.  It wasn't develop the way JP's was

• Like 5
  • Heart Eyes 2

On 10/22/2020 at 4:55 PM, gilaswan said:

It was heart wrenching, but also somehow beautiful. A certain regret but also peace in that scene. He died knowing he had succeeded; he died not knowing his wife had remarried; he died knowing Dalmi loved him. I think all considered, his heart was full. 

And this somehow I had to quote because IT IS beautiful! I love reading the writings here its like a dive in.

I just finished the 4th episode and the dynamic is getting interesting. I like how they don't drag long about imaginary Dosan. It just in a good length and give me good laugh. And Jipyeong is such a softie!!! Can't wait for the weekends, the reality check within a bit of magic crumbs for all the characters in this drama makes me excited:SquirtleOK:

• Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 4

G O O D  V I B E S  

♪ click me below for my cw, edits, about 

d r a m a s a f f a i r . c a r r d . c o