Yummylicious: A Foodie's Oasis 🍣🍨

11 minutes ago, Darkarcana said:

@Chocolate Keong Siak Bakery at Keong Siak Rd

Au Nee Croissant Cube. I like their Mantako Cube and potato Cube. They have sweet potato which is the purple and black croissant. Haha

Wow you're so fast! Looks good! Will try next time I'm there.

I go Keong Saik Road all the time for Kok Sen "Restaurant". They are famous for their Big Prawns Hor Fun.

image.jpg

Their yong tau foo also not bad. Always sold out.

koksen.jpg

But it's more like a Zi Char place although under Michelin BiB Gourmand. Always crowded so need to wait.

koksen10.jpg

Kok Sen Restaurant

30 Keong Saik Rd., Singapore 089137

Edited by Chocolate
  • Insightful 2
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Tasty 1
7 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

I'm living here.

Finally, I have to come to your food thread to discover where you live!

The food here looks beautiful https://www.martinbenn.com/! Reminds me of this molecular gastronomy restaurant in HongKong where their "famous" starter was the "Molecular Xiao Long Bao". Put it in your mouth, bite and it disintegrates. Super light and the xiao long bao juice oozes out. For S$20 😭😂 I can have 20 actual xiao long baos from Din Tai Fung!

01032B98C24A11E58B9506px.jpg

2 Michelin Star

http://www.boinnovation.com/html/gallery.php

J Residence, HK hong kong island Shop 8, Podium, 1, 60 Johnston Rd, Wan Chai, Hong Kong

And @TRaNz I'm surprised to see the food you post here! Thought you were strictly a Mcdonalds and KFC guy lol.

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, mademoiselle said:

Actually I went fine dining mostly with girlfriends. So don't think about whether the restaurants are for couples only. Focus on the yummy food

Yeah its a bit trickier when youre a guy haha. But yes, focus just on the food noms is key !!! :LaxEat:

We went to Kenzan (Japanese), that was good 😍

Thats another to add to my to go to's, along with Niku Ou, Kisume, Ishizuka and a few others....could be a long list. HAHAHAH

As for Rockpool, I see. I should look at the menu again coz if they do nice seafood I might be more eager but if it's just steaks, Squires Loft is pretty decent. How do you like your steak cook?

Seafood, probably go to the Atlantic since its just a few meters walk from Rockpool at Crown.

Otherwise for me, the spot that hit the best for Seafood was 'Richmond Oysters'. The platter.......got us good....so much and soo delicious hahaha.

Squires Loft is also good, but for me steak is either Rockpool or Adrian Richardson's restaurant La Luna Bistro.

Adrian has had some guest appearances on Master Chef but did a few series on Food Network AU.

I like my steaks medium rare thanks. Anyone who reckons higher than that.....**unfriend/unfollow** hahahahahaha

How do you like yours? answer will determine the continuation of our conversation. HAHAHA

@Chocolate I am, but every so often I need to push myself out the fast food lane and into something just as delicious but with gorgeous presentation and different seating environment. haha

Besides I need to break up my instagram with food or something to steer away from the car photos HAHAHA

Edited by TRaNz
  • Haha 2

-- Survives on Bubble Milk Tea, Burgers, Fries, Chicken Nuggets and Fried Chicken --

-- Currently watching: {not watching anything at the moment} --

2 hours ago, Chocolate said:

For S$20 😭😂 I can have 20 actual xiao long baos from Din Tai Fung!

Hahaha, don't think of it like that! Fine dining is for the sensory experience. Only do it once in a while. Otherwise will go bankrupt or the taste buds will be numb and cannot appreciate the wonders anymore xD. Last I know our Din Tai Fung went to adminstration recently. :jiminbtssigh: And Sydney one had @Darkarcana's current favourite - rats. Not sure how the business is there now.

2 hours ago, Chocolate said:

Finally, I have to come to your food thread to discover where you live!

Bwahaha, yeah see, you should visit around more. Yes, I was telling TraNz that chef's dishes were amazing. I really really look forward to the new resto called Society. Hope it opens as planned. COVID go awayyyy.

@Chocolate Turns out @TRaNz is a knowledgeable foodie. I'm taking notes on all the places he's telling me xD

2 hours ago, TRaNz said:

Thats another to add to my to go to's, along with Niku Ou, Kisume, Ishizuka and a few others....could be a long list.

Seafood, probably go to the Atlantic since its just a few meters walk from Rockpool at Crown.

Otherwise for me, the spot that hit the best for Seafood was 'Richmond Oysters'. The platter.......got us good....so much and soo delicious hahaha.

Squires Loft is also good, but for me steak is either Rockpool or Adrian Richardson's restaurant La Luna Bistro.

Adrian has had some guest appearances on Master Chef but did a few series on Food Network AU.

I have Kisume and Ishizuka on the list. Ishizuka is on this year's schedule. Oh my. You're throwing out so many more names that I don't know of. Ohhh, Niku Ou is Japanese BBQ. Bookmarking them all for future references. My sister is a fussy pot, so all these will come in handy.

2 hours ago, TRaNz said:

I like my steaks medium rare thanks. Anyone who reckons higher than that.....**unfriend/unfollow** hahahahahaha

How do you like yours? answer will determine the continuation of our conversation. HAHAHA

LOLLLLLL higher as in more cooked or less cooked? What do you think I am?

Spoiler

Dun dun dun... I used to do medium rare... but now...

Spoiler

I ♥ rare

So are we still friends? :laugh:

Thank you guys @Chocolate @SilverMoonTea @Darkarcana @TRaNz for the visit. Kitekuretei arigatogozaimasu (thank you for coming)! Please come again soon, hahahahaha!

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Insightful 1
  • Haha 1
  • Heart Eyes 1
12 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

I have Kisume and Ishizuka on the list. Ishizuka is on this year's schedule. Oh my. You're throwing out so many more names that I don't know of. Ohhh, Niku Ou is Japanese BBQ. Bookmarking them all for future references. My sister is a fussy pot, so all these will come in handy.

Its coz lately I've seen quite a few friends go to Niku Ou, so I am keen to try it out. Otherwise Shou Sumiyaki was a really nice place for Jap BBQ just in lil bourke st. Next door Ishiya Stonegrill is also good BUT, its cramped inside and squished so it sorta ruined it for me. Tables weren't roomy either so you can only have a few items on the table at one time.

LOLLLLLL higher as in more cooked or less cooked? What do you think I am?

Oh I mean, if you did medium well or well done then yeah....it all ends there.

But no, you do rare so thats still good if not thats probably great!

I might try rare and learn to get used to it. I had a friend she ordered and ate blue rare infront of me.....I was amazed....slightly freaked out but amazed. hahaha

Last I know our Din Tai Fung went to adminstration recently.

Oh is it? had no idea....I still have not gone to Din Tai Fung yet. LOL. Always end up going opposite entrances and into Tetsujin Sushi train for lunch hahaha. Its more funnn.

• Like 2

-- Survives on Bubble Milk Tea, Burgers, Fries, Chicken Nuggets and Fried Chicken --

10 minutes ago, TRaNz said:

Oh I mean, if you did medium well or well done then yeah....it all ends there.

But no, you do rare so thats still good if not thats probably great!

I might try rare and learn to get used to it. I had a friend she ordered and ate blue rare infront of me.....I was amazed....slightly freaked out but amazed. hahaha

LOL, most people I know do medium to medium well. Personally there's no point eating steak if it's fully cooked because it's so hard. I usually have rare for eye fillet. I think I had rare for porterhouse too at a more trust-worthy steak restaurant. Had rare for scotch fillet once and was disgusted by the uncooked fats. That girl friend of yours!! Respect! I've never tried blue. Would be interested to take a bite first, LOL. You should ask her to give you a small piece to try. That's how it started the "rare" for me - so juicy and soft ~ ♥

16 minutes ago, TRaNz said:

Oh is it? had no idea....I still have not gone to Din Tai Fung yet. LOL. Always end up going opposite entrances and into Tetsujin Sushi train for lunch hahaha. Its more funnn.

Yeah https://thebrag.com/din-tai-fung-australia-collapse-covid/

I guess all chains are affected. The only sushi train I've been was Jiro Sushi, LOL. I still prefer proper sushi & sashimi from a Jap restaurant. I'm missing the melt in the mouth tuna belly sashimi recently... sigh... oh Japan... I miss thou.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

One of my favourite seafood places is the Jumbo Group. They have many branches but my preference is the higher-end restaurant at ION Orchard or the open-air restaurant at East Coast right next to the beach.

Apart from the usual crab and other seafood, their lobster with glass noodles is fantastic (half-price promotion now until end April). Also love their scallop with yam ring and mee goreng! Didn't take photos of the actual food yesterday, so sharing the menu photos here. The real thing looks similar.

y36p9fu.png

qbw4sBH.png

King Prawns and Fragrant (Crispy) Rice in Rich Seafood Broth 😋😋😋😋😋

jumbo_seafood_-_king_prawns_and_fragrant_rice_in_rich_seafood_broth_gui_fei_pao_fan_38.jpg

JUMBO Seafood - ION Orchard

2 Orchard Turn #04-09/10 ION Orchard

+65 6737 3435

JUMBO Seafood - East Coast Seafood Centre

1206 ECP, #01-07/08 East Coast Seafood Centre, Singapore 449883

+65 6442 3435

jumboseafood.com.sg

On 3/9/2021 at 10:39 AM, mademoiselle said:

LOL, most people I know do medium to medium well. Personally there's no point eating steak if it's fully cooked because it's so hard. I usually have rare for eye fillet.

Haha. I can't eat rare. So I like my steaks medium well. There was a restaurant, André, where the chef refused to serve it. So I had to order another dish lol.

• Like 1
  • Tasty 2
1 hour ago, Chocolate said:

Haha. I can't eat rare. So I like my steaks medium well. There was a restaurant, André, where the chef refused to serve it. So I had to order another dish lol.

28 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

Refuse to serve you medium well? 😯

Yeah at Medium well, I'd tell you to just order something from the Kids menu or double up on the side servings of salad.........LOLjkjkjkjk :laugh:

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, TRaNz said:

Yeah at Medium well, I'd tell you to just order something from the Kids menu or double up on the side servings of salad.........LOLjkjkjkjk 

Hahahaha you don't laugh, what if the chef also refuse to serve you medium rare? :laugh:

Have you done Kisume, @TRaNz? The Kisume sushi pics in his Story are so beautiful https://www.instagram.com/mrchrislucas/ and look at how the wagyu beef comes in https://www.instagram.com/stories/highlights/18143589349083531/ :Mimed:

• Haha 2
58 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

Refuse to serve you medium well? 😯

Yes! Quite a famous chef so what to do, you're at their mercy.

https://sg.asiatatler.com/society/taiwanese-chef-restaurateur-andre-chiang-on-why-he-is-not-afraid-of-change

31 minutes ago, TRaNz said:

Yeah at Medium well, I'd tell you to just order something from the Kids menu or double up on the side servings of salad.........LOLjkjkjkjk 

Yes yes, fish and chips is one of my favourites!

• Haha 2

Vue de Monde

0qlwGVC.jpg

Main 2: King Fish Sashimi with Kale and Kale Puree

Since I have visited Vue de Monde twice and don't plan to go back any time soon, I'll share the aesthetic visual and delicious dishes I had in at least 6 years ago (OMG, time flies!). I'd consider this as my first fine dining experience and it didn't disappoint. I love how each ingredients had its own taste and how different again when they were consume together. It was a very unforgettable sensory experience. I took 2 friends and re-visited the second time 3 years after and may share the pretty pictures another time.

Spoiler

Appetizer 1: Golden (Soft-boiled) Quail Eggs in a NesttY3N3b7.jpg

Appetizer 2: Artichoke Chips

wGJLV8X.jpg

Appetizer 3: Raw but Fresh Oyster with Grapefruit

xNnuhZx.jpg

Main 1: Green King Prawn with Cauliflower, strands of white radish & Cauliflower sauce and Caviar

SI6cOBd.jpg

Main 3: Beetroot with Pickles and Rye Crumbs and Beetroot sauce

P8olRIx.jpg

Palette Cleanser Dish: It first came with beautiful flowers in the bowl with Nitrogen introduced to it. This enhances the flavour as well as harden the flowers, then you grind the flowers and eat with the lemon sorbet.

QxkWhq7.jpg

Bread with the home-made butter mixed with Camembert Cheese. The best I've ever had!
WkInUbf.jpg

Main 4: Marron Tail with Fennel and Clamp with Clamp Broth
tQK9o2h.jpg

Main 5: Barramundi with Fermented Vegetables and Red Wine Sauce

uEBHWZM.jpg

Main 6: Lamb with Apple and Apple Sauce
tHcw6BU.jpg

Main 7: Blackmore Wagyu with Herb Puree

toBQnmS.jpg

Palette Cleanser Dish 2: Lemon Sorbet covered in nuts sitting on top of Passionfruit Caramel.
a0H8D92.jpg

Dessert 1: Yoghurt Panacotta hidden underneath the grapefruit with Nitrogen-frozen ice cream

CvK6pCg.jpg
Dessert 2: Best of the best! Chocolate Chocolate Chocolate! Chocolate Sorbet, Chocolate Praline, Chocolate Crumbs, Banana and jelly
buP50pN.jpg

Dessert 3: Chocolate Souffle with Nitrogen-Frozen Custard sprinkled on the top.

AlqDS9H.jpg

Complimentary Desserts: Eucalyptus Gum Balls, Vegemite & White Chocolate Macarons, Caramel Shells and Chocolate Mousse & Raspberry filled Lamingtons.

Bc3h17M.jpg

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Star Struck 1
  • Heart Eyes 1
30 minutes ago, Chocolate said:

Oooohhhh Joel Robuchon was one of his mentors. No wonder he's being a snob. LOL! Although from his POV, he's likely seeing it as the customer doesn't know how to appreciate the goodness of the meat. So at which level will he be willing to serve the steak? You should have just tried it lahhhh. Those restaurant will know how to make good steak!

By the way, I visited Joel Robuchon's L'ateliar bistro at Sentosa. We then asked the waiter to show us his fine dining restaurant - ooooffff. The atmosphere and class are another level. If I remember correctly one meal will cost about SGD$500+ for a place like that. I even see a super rich lady (all dressed up with super high hairdo) with 2 chefs at her table (you know how sometimes the customer would request to see the chef in movie? Yeah, look exactly like that). Is the restaurant still there? Joel owns 29 Michelin star restaurants around the world at the time of my visit there. Now Wikipedia said he's got 32. Not sure what happens now that he's passed away.

---

Since we're on steak, have you guys seen No Reservations? 😂

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 2
5 minutes ago, Chocolate said:

Fine dining is not really my thing as there is a lot of food I don't take - raw and anything that is slimy eg. oysters. You would be very bored if we ever ate together

Hahahahaha it's ok we'll eat lobsters and crabs together then. I can do hawker centre food too but yeah, we definitely cannot travel to Japan together. I ended up eating alone few times because the other person refuse to eat sashimi. :jiminbtssigh:

• Haha 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

I've been intending to catch up on this thread especially since @TRaNz is posting so many places from my city :heart: ...

But maybe I read this during the day....it's late at night and it's making me awfully hungry :letalQQ:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Party! 1

Currently watching: Doctor Slump // Queen of Tears // The Impossible Heir

Current Obsessions: ❤ Lee Jae wook // Park Hyung Sik // Yoon Park

Podcast: These Dramatic Days

Hahahaha you don't laugh, what if the chef also refuse to serve you medium rare? :laugh:

Have you done Kisume, @TRaNz? The Kisume sushi pics in his Story are so beautiful https://www.instagram.com/mrchrislucas/ and look at how the wagyu beef comes in https://www.instagram.com/stories/highlights/18143589349083531/ :Mimed:

Oooo Kisume, yes I soo want to go, but its hard to find friends who want to go eat and spend on the higher side. Its on my to go list...after all this still.... I think i need new friends who are willing to spend on food occasionally. hahahaha

Your Vue De Monde pics......OMG....soooooo gooood...I want to go but I said NO...not until I get a gf and then take her bcoz like..all romantic and stuff. hahahaha

12 hours ago, Chocolate said:

Yes yes, fish and chips is one of my favourites!

mmmm yummmmm.... Easter is around the corner and that means Good Friday is too...where Fish and Chips is the main dish eaten for lunch and dinner... hahahaha

9 hours ago, JenL said:

I've been intending to catch up on this thread especially since @TRaNz is posting so many places from my city :heart: ...

But maybe I read this during the day....it's late at night and it's making me awfully hungry :letalQQ:

yesss Jennnn, time for you to go have some pretty noms in the cityyyy !!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@TRaNz So... ah... er... after reading about your response & went looking at Kisumé's website. Then my itchy hands clicked on the video in https://kisume.com.au/the-chefs-table/ and I.. er...I shouldn't have looked, now my tummy is growling!

Spoiler

I also changed the original schedule and ditched steak over Kisumé :pandahappyspoon: I'm so looking forward to Japanese!

On 3/15/2021 at 9:18 AM, TRaNz said:

Your Vue De Monde pics......OMG....soooooo gooood...I want to go but I said NO...not until I get a gf and then take her bcoz like..all romantic and stuff.

We went for lunch so the lighting was good for taking pictures. Turn out well eh, unlike Sepia's which I wanted to cry because that was my favourite so naturally wanted the pictures to turn out all pretty for memories but noooo, so dark.

Wait, but you've gone to Attica so why Vue de Monde only must be with girlfriend? You should just go with or without one because the quality of the food have changed. The first time Shannon Bennett was still the executive chef and the second time he wasn't anymor and not all the dishes were as good as the first experience.

On 3/15/2021 at 9:18 AM, TRaNz said:

Easter is around the corner and that means Good Friday is too...where Fish and Chips is the main dish eaten for lunch and dinner.

Wait what? Why or how is fish & chips related to Good Friday??? I never knew that!

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
15 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

I also changed the original schedule and ditched steak over Kisumé :pandahappyspoon: I'm so looking forward to Japanese!

Oh, did you book for Kisume?! Im soooo jealousssss:SquirtleWonderfull:

Wait, but you've gone to Attica so why Vue de Monde only must be with girlfriend? You should just go with or without one because the quality of the food have changed.

Attica was an invite for a group of 4. But like, Vue De Monde, being that high up with the city scenery gives more of a romantic date night vibe compared to Attica which is just on ground floor. Just that small difference is why I see V.D.M as more special. The high rise :heart:

Wait what? Why or how is fish & chips related to Good Friday??? I never knew that!

Oh this, its not an official thing or anything but you will notice on Good Friday, coz ppl are like, Oh we cant eat meat, the next best thing is Fish and Chips. Every Fish and Chip shop will have huge queues. Its pretty funny to see. Its the one day of the year where fish and chip shops make a killing in sales. haha

• Like 2

8 hours ago, TRaNz said:

Oh, did you book for Kisume?! Im soooo jealousssss

:SquirtleWonderfull: I'm so looking forward to it. It had better be good. I hope I can take some nice photos coz the restaurant looks super dark.

8 hours ago, TRaNz said:

Attica was an invite for a group of 4. But like, Vue De Monde, being that high up with the city scenery gives more of a romantic date night vibe compared to Attica which is just on ground floor. Just that small difference is why I see V.D.M as more special. The high rise

LOL, my Attica and Vue de Monde (2nd trip) were with the same friends - one guy + another girl (not a couple). Now I'm down to my one girlfriend because the guy bought a house + found a girlfriend so he's all for saving and she's not into fine dining. Too complicated. I did daytime at VDM, the scenaries were meh out there so no romantic atmosphere whatsoever. The bit in VDM I like is that we were there for 4 hours+ and it was just so fun and quieter. Attica was really noisy for us that night and I didn't like all the desserts served. VDM even gave us gifts after the meal - like some tea leaves & cookies.

8 hours ago, TRaNz said:

Oh this, its not an official thing or anything but you will notice on Good Friday, coz ppl are like, Oh we cant eat meat, the next best thing is Fish and Chips. Every Fish and Chip shop will have huge queues. Its pretty funny to see. Its the one day of the year where fish and chip shops make a killing in sales. haha

Oh I see. I should have a look next time. We've almost always head towards the Chinese restaurants (or McD) during public holidays because we know they will be open unlike the western ones. But these days Fish & Chips are mostly owned by East Asians :laugh:

• Like 1
  • Awesome 1

Vue de Monde 2

YsJXE0L.jpg

Mud crab with pickled kohlrabi, Marigold and squid ink

I forgot to share the interesting cutlery setting at Vue de Monde in my previous post. It was so interesting to see stones and wooden twigs on the dining table and they all have their own use.

Spoiler

8q8WSf3.jpg

oRlpMYS.jpgDzUZKrm.jpg

The drinks

Spoiler

TH8QMuG.jpg2utOSSq.jpg

The food

Spoiler

Eggplant with eucalyptus, wattle seed pollen & emu jerkydZOyuHY.jpg

Raw Flinders Island lamb with spring peas, finger lime & lemon myrtle

BCPWAXC.jpg

Moonlight flat rusty wire oyster with Jonella farm asparagus and salted riberries
0k3R6xS.jpg

Paperback smoked green asparagus from Jonella farm with seaweed and rusty wire oyster
J4HD5yL.jpg

Port Philip Bay scallops with blue lip mussels, spring shoots and flowers
zRoqlMl.jpg

Schultz dairy milk curd with broad beans, Rosella flowes and Lily pillies
SfrcMWS.jpg

Mud crab snags
MSAclXc.jpg

Mud crab snags with the bread and Kohlrabi coleslaw and Tarragon emulsion
xKTyHRB.jpg

Short bread with cheese butter
Damper but not damper

K0mTYbQ.jpg

Kingfish with smoked koji, sea herbs and desert lime

LynEPsD.jpg

Palette cleanser: Davidson plum sorbet with celery and apple
mfMqIs4.jpg

Kangaroo with muntari berries, pine and beetrootD3f6oOE.jpg

David Blackmore ribeye with buttermilk, horseradish and fermented truffles
uBSXYTf.jpg

Desserts

Spoiler

Avocado on toast
rd0xbLc.jpg

Roasted marshmallows
CSyP4fz.jpg

Mango with ginger sorbet and finger lime
dwLQJ5C.jpg
Lamingtons (chocolate mousse), Watermelon & four pillars gin, Eucalyptus and lime gumnuts.
iigqabF.jpg

This time round the desserts were not as great and they served the same chocolate souffle as I had before which I didn't like either because it was too eggy and rich.

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 2
  • Tasty 1