Yummylicious: A Foodie's Oasis 🍣🍨

1 hour ago, mademoiselle said:

LOL, my Attica and Vue de Monde (2nd trip) were with the same friends - one guy + another girl (not a couple). Now I'm down to my one girlfriend because the guy bought a house + found a girlfriend so he's all for saving and she's not into fine dining. Too complicated. I did daytime at VDM, the scenaries were meh out there so no romantic atmosphere whatsoever. The bit in VDM I like is that we were there for 4 hours+ and it was just so fun and quieter. Attica was really noisy for us that night and I didn't like all the desserts served. VDM even gave us gifts after the meal - like some tea leaves & cookies.

Let me know when you run out for friends, I can be a replacement. LOL, i need foodie friendsssss. :LaxEat:

Yeah Attica was more laid back so crowd noise was more noticeable. Nothing ridiculous where you had to yell just to speak like a bar or club haha.

Oh I see. I should have a look next time. We've almost always head towards the Chinese restaurants (or McD) during public holidays because we know they will be open unlike the western ones. But these days Fish & Chips are mostly owned by East Asians

2 weeks to go and on that Friday just check out the Fish and Chip shops you go past...more busier than any other day of the year hahaha.

OmG your 2nd run of V.D.M .......aiiigggooooooooooooooooo sooo yeeppuuuu :love:

• Haha 1

-- Survives on Bubble Milk Tea, Burgers, Fries, Chicken Nuggets and Fried Chicken --

-- Currently watching: (Pending KDrama selection) --

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Had a satisfyingly awesome meal at a restaurant? 🥙   Share with us!   Travel somewhere and discover some heavenly yummylicious street food or local delicacies? 🍢   Share

Gyu no Chikara 牛の力     Since I started this, I shall go first.   Story: In 2016, my intention of going to Ueno was to purchase Japanese snacks. I did not immediately

OMG THIS THREAD IS PURE EVIL. I simultaneously hate and love you for it. @mademoisellesia 😂   Since I intend to stay / explore the Ueno area more the next time I can visit Tokyo again, this

Posted (edited)

@SilverMoonTea Can't see. The photo is not available (says image not found).

5 hours ago, SilverMoonTea said:

Is that restaurant u share is Michelin star? I observed the menu all so small 😆 But they do look pretty... 

Not Michelin star. None of the restaurants here are Michelin stars. Think the critics don't care about this country 🤣 It is a degustation menu (of about 9 - 11 dishes). It's actually very filling towards the end especially after they served the main dishes (meat dish).

You tend to get extra one dessert if you tell them you're celebrating something, e.g. birthday. @TRaNz Tips in case you don't already know. LOL. The only time we didn't get complementary dessert was we said we were celebrating X years of friendships 😅😆 (Damnit, long friendships are more important than relationships, don't they know?)

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Haha 2

You tend to get extra one dessert if you tell them you're celebrating something, e.g. birthday. @TRaNz Tips in case you don't already know. LOL. The only time we didn't get complementary dessert was we said we were celebrating X years of friendships 😅😆 (Damnit, long friendships are more important than relationships, don't they know?)

hahaha, thats good, but I dont do that. Only because whenever I go out, majority of the time the dessert menu is not big. itll be anywhere between 3-5 dessert items at most at these casual yet elegant restaurants.......we just order all the desserts....even if its just the 2 of us and theres 4 items, we will order all. HAHAHA 

• Haha 1

-- Survives on Bubble Milk Tea, Burgers, Fries, Chicken Nuggets and Fried Chicken --

1 hour ago, TRaNz said:

hahaha, thats good, but I dont do that. Only because whenever I go out, majority of the time the dessert menu is not big. itll be anywhere between 3-5 dessert items at most at these casual yet elegant restaurants.......we just order all the desserts....even if its just the 2 of us and theres 4 items, we will order all. HAHAHA 

Hahaha but you can't "order" if you are doing degustation menu (that's set). Plus degustation is a bit of everything already. Additionally, the complementary dessert is usually not on the menu. Like in Attica, we got a complementary chocolate cake from one of the chef's grandma's recipe (taste better than other Attica's dessert).

• Insightful 1
3 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

Hahaha but you can't "order" if you are doing degustation menu (that's set). Plus degustation is a bit of everything already. Additionally, the complementary dessert is usually not on the menu. Like in Attica, we got a complementary chocolate cake from one of the chef's grandma's recipe (taste better than other Attica's dessert).

Ahh yes thats correct, but degustation's is mainly (not always) leaning into finer dining and not casual with some elegance.

But yeah I understand where you are coming from.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

@TRaNz

Spoiler

Lume was a let down. I was not wow-ed by the dishes at all. The goose snag and the fish were the best. The desserts were good (the pink one was additionally ordered by my friend). Good but not the best I've had for dessert.

Kisume was omakase and albeit I liked the entrees, soup and dessert, the nigiri was a let down for most part of it in terms of flavours. I did not like the idea of the chef slicing up all of the fish in advance and laid it on the board in open environment awaiting for the right time to serve us. Wouldn't that damage the texture/flavours of the fish? I have never seen a chef did that before from all of my dining endeavours.

HjuzZVM.jpg?1

Nonetheless, the last two nigiri which is tuna belly and wagyu (we all upgraded to Japanese beef) did not disappoint. Both melted in the mouth. I had wanted to experience that melt in the mouth moment when he served us salmon and kingfish belly but those two fishes didn't do the job.

Sadly this experience left a lot more to desire. It's not worth doing omakase for the price I paid. I'm not sure about the casual dining so I might need to return to try (and I'd order more tuna belly if I could, lol). I now very much want the nigiri from Shibuya's standing sushi bar.

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Party! 1

OMAGAAHHHHH The prettyy nommmssss :SquirtleNiceAhah::SquirtleWonderfull:

OK lets start off. Lume....AM definitely surprised that it was not a wow factor for you, whether it was affected by covid and quality has dropped over that time or a bad day or the place is actually losing its touch. A bit sad to hear but I still have hopes for it.

Kisume, were you at that round chefs table thing with like other people? I think thats how the chefs table works ye?

I too agree on the pre sliced fish, that should be a no no. Heck, even most of the sushi trains in the CBD (eg: Tesujin, Sushi Hotaru) even they dont pre-slice their fish. Its cut to order.

Well I hope 'Ishizuka' is better that Kisume for you. I heard Ishizuka is extra fancy.

I NEED to go somewhere pretty to eat now. LMFAO. You got me droooooling and craving pretty tasty nommmmssss :PsyWhat:

• Haha 1

@TRaNz I did wonder if my taste bud got fussier but my friend wasn't wow-ed by it too. Maybe we've been to VDM and Attica which also uses native ingredients and are Australian cuisine, and had better experiences there hence Lume couldn't beat their standards? The venison cutlet was bad. The sauce tasted bitter and the meat has a special taste which I can't describe. Can't say I liked it although I got used to it after few more bites.

Yeah it was chef table at Kisume. I forgot to tell you the chef's assistant held our first nigiri way too long when garnishing them. Couple of times he held it, went inside the kitchen with it because he ran out of garnish. As I know their hand temperature must be kept cold and free of fats when dealing with nigiri/sushi rice. The assistant did none of that. He messed up too as a couple of sushi rice fell off the nigiri. 🤦🏻‍♀️

Yep, Ishizuka is on the list.

• Insightful 1

@mademoiselle haha yeah maybe you are now super fussy and have high expectations like those rich top tier characters in KDramas. :laugh:just kiddin.

Might have to go again later in the year to see if its still the same or back to good standards. Can be heaps of factors now days affecting quality. I know I sound like I'm defending them, but im not fully. I just like to think some places may have their bad days/week or in this case bad timing with being closed for so long and slowly getting back to their feet with menu changes to suit pandemic, costing and delays of ingredients.

Looking forward to your next fancy dinner noms, while I try and find something casual. hahaha

• Haha 1