One & Only, Forever and Ever / 一生一世美人骨 l 周生如故 [2021]

One & Only, Forever and Ever 一生一世美人骨 / Chang An Memories 长安如故 

JALCN1t.jpg

Chinese Title: 一生一世,  长安如故/ Yi sheng yi shi, Cháng'ān rúgù
English title: Forever and Ever (Modern) and Chang An Memoried (Historical), Love Your Bones Forever, Beautiful Bones 

Adapted From: Yi Sheng Yi Shi Mei Ren Gu (One Life, One Incarnation - Beautiful Bones) by Mo Bao Fei Bao

Genre:  Historical, Romance

Director: Shen Yang

Episodes: 30 (Modern), 24 (Historical) 

Broadcasting Network: iQIYI

Broadcast Date: First part rumored to air in the second quarter of 2021 and second part in the third quarter of 2021

E9-Chpc-WVk-AE8-Jc-R.jpg

One & Only / Chang An Memories Synopsis (Historical):

Zhousheng Chen, son of Prince Nan Chen, is an accomplished general who is loyal to the country. Cui Shi Yi, daughter of an esteemed family, is the appointed Crown Princess since birth. As both their families are acquainted, Cui Shi Yi was sent to the Zhou Manor to learn some skills. There, Zhousheng Chen and Cui Shi Yi got to befriend each other. Cui Shi Yi grew to admire Zhousheng Chen's lofty ambitions and gentlemanly character and slowly fell for him. She becomes his greatest support and companion, helping him wait for intelligence in the manor, and going to war with him. However, their relationship could not take a step forward due to their respective responsibilities. When the borders are once again endangered, Zhousheng Chen has to lead the army to battle enemies, while Cui Shi Yi has to complete her wedding with the Crown Prince. However, at this time, Zhousheng Chen became seriously injured. (Credit)

Forever and Ever Synopsis (Modern):

Shi Yi, a gentle and low profile voice actress, meets Zhousheng Chen, a refined chemistry professor at the airport. Despite the brief encounter, both have a deep impression on each other. To save his family's declining clay teapot factory, Zhousheng Chen agrees to his mother's request to get married and take over the family business. He rejected his family's arrangements, and proposed to Shi Yi, whom he has good feelings for. After marriage, Shi Yi assists him in managing the business, and also serves as a bridge of communication between him and the elders. Facing the pressure of family and work, Shi Yi's utmost support and relentless encouragement helped Zhousheng Chen tide through the toughest of times. The couple eventually managed to salvage the business and preserve the traditional arts. However just when they are about to reap the fruits of their labor, Shi Yi gets seriously injured while saving Zhousheng Chen from being harmed. Zhousheng Chen puts aside his career, and dedicates all his time to taking care of Shi Yi. After Shi Yi recovered, they promise never to leave each other's side. (Credit)

Cast:

ul1ppxw.jpg

Ren Jia Lun as Zhousheng Chen

c2qdSzC.jpg

Bai Lu as Shi Yi

Ci Sha as Mei Xing

Wang Yue Yi as Hong Xiaoyu

Luo Ming Jie as Zhou Wenchuan

Wang Rui Xin as Zhou Wenxing

Luo Hai Qiong as Qin Wan

Feng Jia Yi as Zhou Shengxing

Wang Xi Yuan

Ye Xiao Wei

Liu Ruo Gu as Zhou Shengren

Trailer

OSTs

Helpful Links

Baidu l Novel l Forever & Ever 2 Weibo

• Like 2
  • Party! 1

ezgif-com-gif-maker-47.gif

Huh.  Judging from the DramaWiki synopsis shared above it looks like the drama is already making changes from the book.  I really liked the book with its mystery and intrigue, but it's lyrical style too.  I hope the drama will be able to retain some of that aura, and that it won't all be lost in the translation. 

For anyone interested in reading the translated novel, here is a link for that: https://hui3r.wordpress.com/mo-bao-fei-bao/one-life-one-incarnation-beautiful-bones-completed/

And here's an article that describes how the drama is rumored, at least, to be tackling the two lifelines involved in the book: https://www.jaynestars.com/news/ren-jialun-and-bai-lu-to-couple-up-in-love-your-bones-forever/

Edited by themarchioness
  • Like 3

My Fanfics

Descendants of the Sun • A Love So Beautiful • Le Coupe de Foudre • Gank Your Heart • Go Ahead • Legend of Fei

@NiteWalker Yes! There's 2 timeline.. the ancient past, and the modern time set in a mafia background story. 

What I admired the most is the writing style... because its like we're looking at the story through a haze... like a painting... its really hard to describe. 

I really hope the production won't overdo it LOL 

I remember reading MBFB comment on weibo back in April/May saying that adaptations will have changes but she will try her best not to loose the theme.. 

Lets wait and see. I really like the actor and actress. 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Lynne said:

@NiteWalker Yes! There's 2 timeline.. the ancient past, and the modern time set in a mafia background story. 

What I admired the most is the writing style... because its like we're looking at the story through a haze... like a painting... its really hard to describe.

To add on to what @Lynne said, I found the book rather different and unique.  At first it starts out simple enough in modern times.  There's a girl.  There's a guy.  Their paths cross and she becomes interest in him.  Still later, their paths cross again and somehow despite the guy seeming like he has no interest in her whatsoever, they come together.  But the simplicity of the plot is deceiving because really, it's at that point, when things start to turn.  The story becomes a mystery and you're never quite sure what's going.  Slowly the details of the ancient timeline start to be introduced and when it finally does, things come together in a very special way.  It was truly my favorite part of the novel - seeing how the past the present intersected.

Beautiful Bones is a hard book to describe, but it's really beautifully written.  Lynne described it like a "painting" and I completely agree.  I used "lyrical" in my other post and that's because there's something about this novel that always makes me think of classical poetry.  Anyway, it's definitely worth a read!  Especially given that there will soon be a drama adaptation of it.  ;) 

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

My Fanfics

Descendants of the Sun • A Love So Beautiful • Le Coupe de Foudre • Gank Your Heart • Go Ahead • Legend of Fei

• 2 weeks later...

The official announcement is out....

Seems like they change the title to "Forever and Ever" @NiteWalker

Ehg3B4mUMAAKjsB?format=jpg&name=large

let me leave this post with my favorite quote from this book:

"Beautiful bones. Rare in this world.
Those with bone do not have skin. Those with skin do not have bone.
Most people’s eyes are shallow, seeing only the skin-deep appearance and not the ‘bones,’ the appearance of the inside
."

• Like 3
  • 2 months later...
On 11/23/2020 at 12:41 PM, Lynne said:

I feel like so far we've only seen the Modern version... I'm looking forward to see them sharing the period version too... 

Let me correct my previous post LOL... so apparently... the wrapping is for the Modern time, the historical version hasn't been taken yet :lol: Rumor has it, they're going to launch the historical part in a few days...

To be honest.... while I think I'm OK if the modern version took some liberties to change here and there.. I hope they don't change too much the story of the past..... 

@themarchioness

• Like 2
On 11/25/2020 at 11:54 PM, Lynne said:

Let me correct my previous post LOL... so apparently... the wrapping is for the Modern time, the historical version hasn't been taken yet :lol: Rumor has it, they're going to launch the historical part in a few days...

To be honest.... while I think I'm OK if the modern version took some liberties to change here and there.. I hope they don't change too much the story of the past..... 

@themarchioness

well....they are filming the historical part now....it started yesterday

they had the sequel with the same lead again

• Like 1
3 hours ago, NiteWalker said:

btw @Lynne i think we combine both the sequel under 1 thread? what u think?

Yeah,, I think its OK... S1 and S2 combined is the whole story.. but i’m a bit apprehensive about the number of episodes.. 60 episodes in total...  as much as I love the novel writer MBFB, I always think that novel is her most honest form of work... Her scriptwriting tends to get Watered down.. maybe because of creative obligation and production request.. but her drama adaptation hasn’t endear me enough.. 

i really hope they do the adaptation justice

• Haha 1
On 11/25/2020 at 10:54 AM, Lynne said:

@themarchioness

I was surprised to see the modern part had already wrapped filming!  Didn't they start only mid-Sept or so?  That's about 2.5 months.  Maybe that was enough for them... as for the past version, I feel like they may need to flesh things out in order to fill the number of episodes planned.  That doesn't mean they need to make changes (to the essential framework), but I can see them rounding out the story little bit more for us.  

• Like 2

My Fanfics

12 hours ago, themarchioness said:

I was surprised to see the modern part had already wrapped filming!  Didn't they start only mid-Sept or so?  That's about 2.5 months.  Maybe that was enough for them... as for the past version, I feel like they may need to flesh things out in order to fill the number of episodes planned.  That doesn't mean they need to make changes (to the essential framework), but I can see them rounding out the story little bit more for us.  

actually JiaLun even commented how funny it is to film the modern part and then only move to the period session hahaha...

one would have thought u do the period first then the modern.....though i think with the sequel you will have a better wrap up i hope?

maybe i need to pick up the book too so that i can understand the drama better

• Like 2
1 hour ago, NiteWalker said:

actually JiaLun even commented how funny it is to film the modern part and then only move to the period session hahaha...

one would have thought u do the period first then the modern.....though i think with the sequel you will have a better wrap up i hope?

maybe i need to pick up the book too so that i can understand the drama better

Haha, yes, you should read the book!  Both to better understand the drama and because it's good.  

I don't think it's that unusual for them to start with the modern part of the story because, really, that is the bulk of the setting for the novel.  It takes place in the present and the FL is the only one who has memories of their prior lives (their first lifetime together).  What you "see" of the past is mostly through her memories, which are used to explain why she is so certain that she is destined to be with the ML despite hardly knowing each other (they meet at an airport where she recognizes him and then abruptly asks for his contact information, which starts an email dialogue that is mostly one sided); his singular personality (he's a researcher who's often lost in his own cloud of thoughts, oblivious to those around them); and his mediocre looks (she's a paragon of beauty and so it catches people by surprise that she'd be attracted to the opposite).  It's only when the ML has a need for a partner that he takes the initiative to reach out to the FL, and because she trusts him implicitly and feels indebted to him (because of what happened in their past life), she goes along with his proposal.  

The stories of their past, as shared from her memories, are peppered throughout the narrative of the present and provide hints of what might have happened.  And then somewhere in the middle, the narrative takes a step back to do a little "side story" thing where the story takes place entirely in the past and it is explained why the FL feels so apologetic towards the ML.  Towards the end of the novel there is another narrative dedicated solely to the past and it explains the relationship between the main characters and some of the side characters in the present.  

This is why I find it rather interesting how they are going to be able to create an entire drama out of the past, and why I think they're going to have to flesh out the story in order to give us an entirely separate drama, rather than having one drama that goes back and forth between past and present.

• Like 4

My Fanfics