Tale of the Nine Tailed 구미호뎐 [S1-2020][S2-2023]

Translation of the pre-clip.

JA: Guess who?
LY: Just looking at these hands, I know who it is.
JA: And if it were a man who had changed his shape?
LY: Then…there is no way that my heart would be racing like this.
JA: Your reaction is not very common. Are you sure that you’ve been waiting alone for 600 years? (me: she's asking if he's actually a player. lol)
LY: Of course, I’m sure. My eyes can only see you. It’s a one shot. (meaning her face fills his whole vision)
JA: Anyway, what are we doing today?
LY: Today, we are a very ordinary dating couple. Anticipate it.  
LY: Being ordinary. You come to the inside. (me: It's a bit of old-fashioned courtesy, to have the woman walk on the more protected side, usually away from the streetside.)

Aww, it's going to be a cute date scene. However, why do I feel as if this is the sweetness and calm before the storm breaks? Since this is the penultimate week, I have to think that we're going to have a rough and angsty ride ahead of the finale next week. So, I'll take whatever sweetness I can get.

Thanks for posting @abs-oluteM.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks loads for the translations @stroppyse

Urghhhh what happened to Lee Yeon???? He stopped JA from killing herself  & he swallowed the scale so that Imoogi will possess him instead .My heart can't take this. LY sacrificed himself , he took Imoogi with him to the afterlife. I bawled when he said I love you for the last time to JA. :cry:

Preview eps 15

Is there a way to bring Lee Yeon back? The fox beads have to be of some use right?

• Like 3

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  -  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - 

Translation of the ep 16 preview

JA: I can do anything you tell me to do!
Taluipa: That will never happen.
SJ: Pay attention! Mr. Lee Yeon told me to give it to you.
LY VO: You’re going to get used to it. Even though the road that we had walked together, you’ll have to walk alone. But go ahead and let me go now, Ji Ah. I love you.
LR: I heard the rumor and came to meet that old man.

It seems that JA pleads with Taluipa to find a way to bring LY back, but is rejected? And, LY left parting messages for JA and LR. However, I wonder if LR is going to find a way to bring his brother back. If LR and JA could finally team up to save LY, that would be perfect. However, tomorrow's episode looks to be very angsty as it sounds as if today's episode was. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

So just saw episode 15, and cried buckets at the ending. Even more than JA's sobbing as if her whole world had ended after watching LY sacrifice himself for her, it was LR who had gone to save LY, but ended up killing him and the other imugi since LR realized that was what LY really wanted and that his saving of LY wasn't going to be the saving that he LR had wanted, but rather the saving that LY had wanted in not wanting to become the imugi after all.

Also, the translation I did above was for episode 16. And, I find a tiny bit of comfort that even though LY and the imugi had fallen in the Samdocheon (River Styx), that LR is looking for the old god who had take LY's fox bead. Maybe there is some way to move the heavens after all? Even Taluipa turned back to life when she had been turned to stone, after all.

And, we finally find out what the imugi had whispered to the Snail Bride, SJ, and LR. Nice bit of foreplanning there by the imugi.

Even though it had a sad ending to the episode, it was a good episode, and I'll hold off on major tears until I see how the finale works out tomorrow.

Things I really liked about this episode.

- LR and JA calling a truce since they both had the same goal of trying to save LY.

- LR and SJ going to try to save YR, after the imugi had told YR that no one was going to come and try to save her. LR and SJ also had some bromance going on tha twas cute.

- LY and LR eating naengmyun together. First of all, naengmyun is my favorite food in the world, and I even talk about it in Yummilicious. Second, it was so sweet how LY let LR eat his hard boiled egg, though it was possibly a little too obvious on the part of the writer to do it right after LY had just told SJ that he had a grudge against SJ's former mountain god because that god ate his egg from his noodles. LOL Still, it was an unspoken demonstration of love for his little brother, even if Rang didn't even realize it.

- Also, I wondered about the body that the imugi had manifested in, but this episode explained that as well.

I'm going to watch the finale of this drama tomorrow with cautious hope.

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 1

Final thoughts from the cast

https://www.ytn.co.kr/_sn/0117_202012031410474987

202012031410474987_d.jpg

Auto-translated:

In the last broadcast, Nam Ji-ah (Jo Bo-ah), who was watching Lee Yeon (Lee Dong-wook) jumped into Samdocheon with Lee Mu-gi to end the war against Lee Mu-ki (Lee Tae-ri) , poured out a sobbing, and Lee Rang (Kim Bum) showed suffering, causing regret. Lee Dong-wook, Cho Bo-ah, and Kim Beom, the main characters of "Kumi-ho-chan," expressed their gratitude to the actors, staff and viewers ahead of the end.

Lee Dong-wook, who completely played the role of Gumiho Lee Yeon, a former mountain god of Baekdudaegan and a judge who settled in the city center, said, "I've thought a lot to convey my last thoughts, but I'm only grateful."

I sincerely thank the director and the writer for trusting me a lot. No matter what I offer, I've always listened to it, so I've always been reassured," he said, not forgetting his gratitude to the director and writer for completing the story. He also left a deep impression by saying, " Thank you so much to the actors who acted together, and our staff who ran tirelessly for seven months."

We would like to thank our viewers for understanding and loving "Kumiho" and each character better than us. The word "thank you" can't express everything, but this is the only way I can express it, so I'm sorry and sorry. I just want to thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Jo Bo-ah, who played the role of Nam Ji-ah, the producer of the ghost story program, showed a broad acting spectrum ranging from confident appearances to romance, action and special acting, said, "I sincerely thank everyone who has loved and watched'Kumiho' so far." As the drama was filmed with a long breath, I focused on each scene with high concentration. That much, the affection is bigger, and I still can't believe it's over. It was a very meaningful and memorable work in my life," he said, expressing his regret ahead of the end of the show. "I think I got a valuable gift because I was able to meet the actors, directors, writers, and staff who worked with me. I'll be back through another work, so please love Nam Ji-ah until then."

Kim Bum re-discovered the character of half-human half-year-old Lee Rang, who was born between Gumiho and humans, expressing the feeling of a spicy Gumiho who fell into the brother complex and a baby fox who only knows his brother. "After seven months of filming, I'm saying goodbye like this," said Kim Beom, who conveyed his feelings before the end of the show, "Lee-Ri-Ri seemed very lonely from the first time I saw him, and there were many things I wanted to take care of him." I was able to spend it warmly thanks to the love not only from me but also from many people," he said with a great deal of affection for his character. "I sincerely thank the viewers for loving'Kumiho' hoping you take care of your health in the cold weather," he said, expressing his sincere gratitude.

The production team said, "The story of'Goo Mi-ho' received a lot of attention because of the actors' hard work and all the staff's hard work. "Thank you very much," he said, "Please watch the ending of 'Gumiho-chan' with interest, which will leave a touching impression and a dark afterglow in the hearts of viewers."

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  -  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - 

Ep16 Sneak Peek

The kiddos reminiscing the old times with Yeon & then fighting over him...

I am confident we will get happy ending. A hunch. Since Granny didn't break the taboo she initially planned to break, perhaps she will break it for Yeon. In addition the fortune teller/afterlife judge exists for a reason especially in reference to the "afterlife" bit and he still has Yeon's fox bead. I'm wondering if the fox bead will come into play again. Perhaps Yeon will finally become a human and imoogi might still be inside his body and the fox bead will surpress it. :idk:

Rant

They didn't air the drama for a week citing to focus on the quality of the production so here I am expecting to see Yeon turning into that sexy hot fiery/firey fox in amber eyes and nine tails when he fights Imoogi, but I see none of that. :nani:! :duckPHAT: Fine. I guess I'll just go stare at my FireFox instead :duckhide:

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Haha 5

SPOILER FOR FINALE

Noooo LR did an exchange of his soul for Lee Yeon's....I am crying :letalQQ:. Why did it have to be like that ????

Spoiler

LY came back!

Very long BTS

Spoiler

It was happy ending for LY and JA-  after all that they have gone through, they deserve it :hearties:

Lol...Shin Ju proposed

Despite the happy ending...it somehow felt so bittersweet because of what happened to LR...cries

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, abs-oluteM said:

Despite the happy ending...it somehow felt so bittersweet because of what happened to LR...cries

Even though I anticipated something like that, it still feels sad. Spoiler in the spoiler.

Spoiler

LR had to pay for the terrible things that he's done in some way, even though he's been escaping it for various reasons. Even his last redemption was because he took a human life, albeit it was the imugi who fed it to him. So, all the signals were there that LR would be punished in some way.

But LR sacrificed himself for his beloved brother. It just felt so heightened because the mean, evil, petty LR that we first met in the drama was not as it seemed. We came to know about his pain as well as his good deeds (saving YR, saving the dog). He was also able to make up with his brother, and even call a truce with JA for the purpose of saving his brother. Along the way, LR also gains his own family (YR, SH, and even SJ) who love him as well, so the sacrifice was that much greater.

So, in the end, LR gets a heroic send off, even though I was still hoping that there would be a way to create a redemption for LR that also enabled him to have his happy ending. But, I guess they thought the story made more sense for LR to sacrifice himself. And, I kind of agree, but I'm still really, really sad.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 1

@stroppyse said 

Spoiler

So, in the end, LR gets a heroic send off, even though I was still hoping that there would be a way to create a redemption for LR that also enabled him to have his happy ending. But, I guess they thought the story made more sense for LR to sacrifice himself. And, I kind of agree, but I'm still really, really sad.

LR smile was scary but I never considered him evil. When they revealed his backs story, it broke my heart. When the blind guy asked him about “what is the most important thing in his life” ,  it saddened me because he really didn’t know until someone pointed it out that LY is still precious to him. There were signs everywhere that pointed out his ending.  LR thought he wanted revenge but was just being used to get to his brother.  The real issue is that he was broken and his brother tried to heal it but once he disappeared, that wound reopened and he was lost.  He didn’t know what to do. 

• Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 1

Favorite Favorite Artist  Bae Doona, Moon Chae Won, Gong Hyo Jin, Cho Seung Woo, Jang Hyuk,, Jo In Sung,  Gong Yoo

Drama watching now: Plot Love,  Chimera ,The Psychologist, Always have,Always will , Show Windows: Queens House

59 minutes ago, ryanallright said:

Ending is such a tease

Season 2 incoming?

I don't think so. But, I did find the ending kind of confusing. The rest in the spoiler.

Spoiler

LY came back saying that he was human now, and yet he was able to visit Taluipa in her office, even if he said that would be the last time.

Then there is a montage where he's supposed to be getting used to being human, including getting a root canal at the dentist.

And, then that ending where the red umbrella turns into a sword and his eyes flash golden? Does this mean that LY is still a gumiho, but with a human life span? Or that he's not really human after all, despite telling JA that he was? If he wasn't human, wouldn't Taluipa and Elder Hong know it? Though it's true that in a fantasy world, I guess rules can be broken.

Also, if that boy on the bike is Rang incarnated, he's a bit old for the timeline, isn't he? Though, I guess they never said how much time had passed. I was happy that Rang finally had a loving mother in his reincarnated life. Hope he gets all the love that he had craved before.

Wonder if reincarnated Rang and Soo Ho will become friends?

In some ways, the ending was neatly wrapped up, but in other ways, it felt as if they decided to suspend the rules of the world the drama had created so that the tension didn't feel as real.

The parts that had me sobbing, though, were the recordings that LY had made for LR, and that LR leaves for LY. I had hoped that YR, SH, and SJ had gotten there just a couple of minutes earlier though, so that they could see him. At least, Rang saw them running toward him with love and concern in their eyes.

@UnniSara, I felt as if LR was presented as evil in the beginning of the drama, but as the story unfolded, my sympathies were definitely with LR. I think when he saved that dog from those bullies pelting him with rocks was when I knew that I liked LR and he was just a lost, lonely soul with a tragic story that drove his actions out of fears.  I would have liked a happier ending for him in this lifetime, but within the realities of the story world, I guess I'm okay with LR's ending, even if it did make me cry nonstop for awhile.

• Like 3
  • Insightful 2

Same with you guys...what was that at the end? Human or gumiho? It doesn't make sense.

I'm not sure how I feel about the ending even though it's supposedly a happy ending for the OTP. Other than that I don't quite like the "a life for another life" plot since the first time they did it. Being an afterlife judge/10th king shouldn't treat this like it's a fun game (that's how he depicts it). I say this because last time he took Yeon when Yeon never offered himself and he also takes an interest in Ji Ah's offer. And what's the reason of taking an interest in the fox bead (which until the end had no real significant use in the story). Although eventually it was decided on Rang, this I think it's just the writer's intention to convey that Rang has finally cherished being alive and have a "family". But doesn't erase the fact that this "afterlife" judge takes life away. Also another thing (plot hole?) is I thought their exchange was for Yeon's reincarnation not him in this lifetime?

Nonetheless because of the Yuri & Rang's bond and ties, the moment Yuri yells, "Lee Rang nim..." as she ran towards him and Kim Bum tearing up (beautifully in this scene I was also swooning), it did squeeze some tears out of me.

426475af2bc26823e72cffe3322aff3104a09c43

dda25825bc37638f62ab2a3581734167cc16c390

source

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 1

The third episode of the spin-off series, I think there's one episode left? This episode made me smile so much. :heart:

I don't have much to add about the last two episodes. I had a lot of emotions about Lee Rang's death. In some ways, I understand that this was their way of giving Lee Rang closure, redemption, consequences, or whatever you want to call it. I had a feeling watching episode 15 (and even the entire drama) that one of the brothers was going to sacrifice themselves for the other brother. 

Lee Yeon not actually being a human at the end was a bit of surprise to me. Like everyone said, it would have been nice if he was granted his wish to live life as a human. I agreed that it seems like when he was in some sort of situation, there was always some sort of answers or bend to the rules. 

With that said, here's some screengrabs from their "wedding" at the end....

mRGUCy0.png

Spoiler

rPNDnnn.png

mTqV3Hd.png

aghWpvm.png

jpbu3M6.png

2w4IB0F.png

9wPGOEs.png

YdPssFa.png

yYa8IZT.png

pWDJEDM.png

giphy.gif

Lee Rang's last moments...

R2xxK19.png

Spoiler

1LZwYEO.png

KObnBNG.png

ApCZ1xS.png

mcZHsET.png

TZWPu2w.png

ut6fLM9.png

jMksECV.png

LpVaQF8.png

93jUBjf.png

FnPiySM.png

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

Had to watch the last two episodes twice. Bawled through the closing scenes of Ep15, and Ep16, especially the scenes of the brothers. Rang riddled with guilt, watching Yeon's video, then his ultimate sacrifice followed by the video he left, still snarky up to that final, broken "Hyung"... the rewatch still evoked the same waterworks from me, proof just how much Rang and Yeon's relationship has defined this drama for me, far more than the romance ever did. So much so that the first time I watched, I actually resented the lovey-dovey scenes that followed Yeon's return, bitter that they were happy when Rang as we know him, was irrevocably lost. Though I had already prepared myself that there was no way Rang would be allowed to get away without any consequences for all the evil he had done over the past 600 years despite the sporadic good he did, his loss still gutted me unbearably. Kudos to Kim Bum who brought Rang's multi-faceted character to life, making me first dread, then involuntarily care for him. Though I wish they were far longer, I am grateful that we have the spinoff episodes which gave us vignettes of Rang and his rag-tag family... much needed for me who miss them.

It was a good thing that I watched a 2nd time, which allowed me to appreciate the scenes that followed Yeon's sacrifice and partially set aside my resentment for the romance angle. Jo BoA nailed Ji A's desperation as she continues to haunt Taluipa's doors... and what have me aching for her is the way she covers her ears in a vain effort to ward off her sinking hopelessness. Perfectly delivered. I love too the banter that takes place between Rang and Ji A, when they try to outdo each other in proving Yeon loves them more. Little little scenes like these move me, seeing those left behind making steps to move on from their loss. Yeon's return, with the placing of the azalea on Rang's plaque as a prelude, and later, sitting beside it, missing the brother he lost, broke my heart. Thus knowing Rang is reincarnated into a far more loving family than the one he had originally is a balm of sorts, which allows Yeon to move on... a final kindness on the part of the powers that be for the two brothers who had gone through so much.

The plot in itself delivers in some ways, while faltering in others. The twists that lead to the final showdown are well-executed - keeping me in suspense, knowing that it cannot be that easy. Terry Imoogi proved himself to be a formidable opponent who anticipated Yeon and Taluipa's moves, even if he is foiled at last by Yeon's sacrifice and ingenuity. What annoys me though is the ease with which The Governor is attacked and robbed of the magical mirror, which feels quite incongruous for a mountain spirit of such power. Not to mention Imoogi having Yuri standing guard at that final showdown, knowing that she would be easily disarmed by Rang or anyone Yeon brings along with him. While Yeon and Ji A's reunion is sweet, his monologue about being human is totally undone by that ridiculous reveal in the end, which totally negates everything that it has built up to, with no purpose except to deliver one last twist that make no sense at all. Why? Are they so afraid of allowing Yeon to be truly human, which was supposed what he had ever wanted? 

That being said, I am glad I followed this drama, which gave me one of the best sibling chemistry I've seen, and made me a new fan of Kim Bum. And can I just mention the instrumental soundtrack - lush, evocative, gorgeous - elevating scenes which fail to deliver while perfectly complementing well-done scenes. A heartfelt thank you to composers Hong Dae Sung, Park Seo Hee, So Soo Jung and Hwang Mi Rae who have gifted us with such an unforgettable score, which is now constantly on repeat on my playlist. Am hard pressed to choose among them, but some of my favourite pieces include Yi Yeon and Yi Rang, the poignant Dad's Precious Gift, the epic Awaken, the surprisingly evocative The Island, the ominous The Brothers... the  list goes on... all of which evoke familiar scenes in my mind. Brilliant.

Edited by liddi
  • Awesome 1

Signal, Thank You, Missing:The Other Side, Children of Nobody, Misaeng, Tree with Deep Roots, Story of a Man

步步惊心, 长相思, 琅琊榜之风起长林, 平凡的荣耀, 大鱼海棠, 九州缥缈录, 风声, 剑雨

Ice Kacang Puppy Love, Garden of Evening Mists

Mother, 空から降る一億の星, Ouroboros

• 9 months later...

@Tofu That's certainly one way to reunite the brothers - by revisiting their past. Excited to see Yi Rang and Yi Yeon interactions once more. Am guessing Yuri won't be showing up either, since particularly since she originated from Russia and her path only intersected with Yi Rang in the present.

• Like 1

Signal, Thank You, Missing:The Other Side, Children of Nobody, Misaeng, Tree with Deep Roots, Story of a Man

步步惊心, 长相思, 琅琊榜之风起长林, 平凡的荣耀, 大鱼海棠, 九州缥缈录, 风声, 剑雨

Ice Kacang Puppy Love, Garden of Evening Mists

Mother, 空から降る一億の星, Ouroboros

• 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Content Writing Newsen Reporter Park Soo In.

202210311339306310-1.jpg

202210311339306310-2.jpg

(Photo=provided by K-One Entertainment)

Rookie actress Kang Na Eon is expected to play an active role in the tvN drama 'Tale of the Nine Tailed 1938' as 'Kook Hee' among the gisaengs of Mae Nang Guk Juk and Myo Yeon Gak.

'Kook Hee' was born as the youngest daughter in a family of five sons. With her strong hunger and appetite, she often steals food from customers, eats red bean porridge on winter. She is a gisaeng who takes care of seasonal customs as ghost hunting.

'Tale of the Nine Tailed 1938' is an action drama played by 'Lee Yeon', a nine-tailed fox who crash-landed in an era of chaos in 1938. Lee Dong Wook, Kim So Yeon, Kim Beom and Ryu Kyung Soo are starring in the filming ahead of next year's airing.

Meanwhile,  Kang Na Eon appeared in the tvN drama Blind as Kwon Kwon.

'source'

Spoiler

https://m.newsen.com/news_view.php?uid=202210311339306310

• Like 3

CurrentlyLiesGrden•CYouIn19thLif•Battle4HappinssWaitingRvenant•Heartb•NumbersFinishedBingeWatchingRace•B.Knight•GloryIIDaily•2D1NS4•RunMan

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...