Tale of the Nine Tailed 구미호뎐 [S1-2020][S2-2023]

Just started watching, so I'm a little behind. Will have to backread pages as well. However, anyone else laugh when Lee Yeon comments that he knows the Grim Reaper well? LOL

This is a very atmospheric drama, and they clearly spent a lot on the production. I've enjoyed the first episode, but it'll take me awhile to catch up to everyone else.

Lee Dong Wook looks hot as the golden-eyed gumiho enforcer! Plus, his dry, laconic delivery laced with touches of boredom and sarcasm is perfect for his character.

Oh, and Byul, the fluffy white Pomeranian currently starring as MiMi in DoDoSolSolLaLaSol has her guest star turn in episode 2 of this drama as Bean, the dog who ate some spicy ddeokbbokki and is disgruntled because the vet (who is actually a mythical creature in hiding as well) said Bean has to only have water and medicine for a day and no snacks. She is a cutie! Her scene made me want to go rewatch scenes of her and the ML in the other drama. :laugh:

• Clapping Hands 1
  • Party! 2
51 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

Just started watching, so I'm a little behind. Will have to backread pages as well. However, anyone else laugh when Lee Yeon comments that he knows the Grim Reaper well? LOL

This is a very atmospheric drama, and they clearly spent a lot on the production. I've enjoyed the first episode, but it'll take me awhile to catch up to everyone else.

Lee Dong Wook looks hot as the golden-eyed gumiho enforcer! Plus, his dry, laconic delivery laced with touches of boredom and sarcasm is perfect for his character.

Yay you're watching!!! 

Yes his grim reaper comment wasn't lost on anyone lmao It was a nice add-on lol 

The production looks well planned & I like how there's no detail that's left untouched, everything matters in this drama. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
11 minutes ago, Merry_Shai said:

Yay you're watching!!! 

Yes his grim reaper comment wasn't lost on anyone lmao It was a nice add-on lol 

The production looks well planned & I like how there's no detail that's left untouched, everything matters in this drama. 

The world building is pretty impressive, both in the Baekdu Mountain scenes for which the cgi is fantastic, but also in the modern era scenes as well.

Plus, it starts making you wonder who is real and who isn't real.

• Like 3
24 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

The world building is pretty impressive, both in the Baekdu Mountain scenes for which the cgi is fantastic, but also in the modern era scenes as well.

Plus, it starts making you wonder who is real and who isn't real.

I'm really enjoying the editing for this drama especially the afterlife/past life scenes. Modern times is good too. 

• Like 3
23 minutes ago, Merry_Shai said:

I'm really enjoying the editing for this drama especially the afterlife/past life scenes. Modern times is good too. 

I agree. The edits for the afterlife/past life scenes definitely flow more smoothly and with more tension. Of course, they have all those fantastical scenes to work with, not to mention the sumptuous robes and hanboks.

Modern times by contrast tends to be a darker palette with a certain abruptness to the scene changes.

It feels as if it's done deliberately though, to contrast the fantastical elements of the other life while the modern scenes, whether in the city or in the rural areas, are grubbier, lacking belief in spirituality, and more elevation of more venal elements. 

Anyway, it's lovely that everything looks so considered from the beginning. I hope that it can keep it up.

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 1
On 10/18/2020 at 12:31 PM, Merry_Shai said:

who is this man who now has custody over a potential demon child?

It was explained that he is a worshiper/follower of Imoogi, the same with the Shaman lady. Both of them had been live for hundreds of years because of the power from Imoogi and that man was the one rescued LeeRang when he was knifed by LeeYeon.

Edited by OsmanthusTea
  • Like 3
5 hours ago, OsmanthusTea said:

It was explained that he is a worshiper/follower of Imoogi, the same with the Shaman lady. Both of them had been live for hundreds of years because of the power from Imoogi and that man was the one rescued LeeRang when he was knifed by LeeYeon.

Thanks, I must have missed that part lol So he was a human who wanted to be immortal & became a follower of Imoogi. 

Lee Yeon has so much stacked against him & now that it's likely out there that Ji Ah is Ah Eum, it can potentially be worse. 

9 hours ago, stroppyse said:

I agree. The edits for the afterlife/past life scenes definitely flow more smoothly and with more tension. Of course, they have all those fantastical scenes to work with, not to mention the sumptuous robes and hanboks.

Modern times by contrast tends to be a darker palette with a certain abruptness to the scene changes.

It feels as if it's done deliberately though, to contrast the fantastical elements of the other life while the modern scenes, whether in the city or in the rural areas, are grubbier, lacking belief in spirituality, and more elevation of more venal elements. 

Anyway, it's lovely that everything looks so considered from the beginning. I hope that it can keep it up.

One thing I want is consistency from the writer & production team, I want the outcome to be exactly what was originally planned out. 

• Like 3

I love the banter between Lee Yeon and Lee Rang. Kudos to LDW and KB for their respective roles, but also love the writer for the dialog. Trust me when I say it's even wittier and funnier in Korean than the translations may indicate.

The mystery around Ji Ah is also intriguing, and I'm dying to know more about her as well as what happened to her parents. I guess it's only fair that there should be mysteries surrounding Ji Ah, including is she Ah Eum or isn't she? And, if she is Ah Eum, what happened to the fox bead that LY had placed inside her after she died and before she reincarnated? LY believes that Ji Ah is Ah Eum despite not having the fox bead, so I hope that there is a good reason for it.

As for the ice cave...arrrggghhhh! 7 years stripped half naked in high altitude with chained in place with utter cold winds beating against him. Poor Lee Yeon! And then the bridge of knives? Oh, the lengths this man will go to protect his love.

So, I guess the only question I have this drama so far is...when he was going through his hells, he only has trousers, but when he appears in front of JA again to save her, he has a shirt? He had time to pick up a shirt on his way from hell to saving JA yet again? Sorry, I guess that is just some momentary humor from me.

Oh no! Can't believe I did this to myself. I already have a drama I was watching on Wed-Thurs, and now this is the second drama on Wed-Thurs. Why did I do this to myself already???

• Haha 5
5 hours ago, stroppyse said:

So, I guess the only question I have this drama so far is...when he was going through his hells, he only has trousers, but when he appears in front of JA again to save her, he has a shirt? He had time to pick up a shirt on his way from hell to saving JA yet again? Sorry, I guess that is just some momentary humor from.

I am agreed, I even think that if he go straight to save her without changing his clothes she won't needs to fell from from the building. His saves was barely and all because of him dropped by to picked up a new set of clothing.....:HaunterOK:

• Haha 3

@stroppyse @-StrongTower- so glad to see you guys here. I love this drama...

Of course Wookie is part of the charm :smile:

@OsmanthusTea @ktcjdrama @Merry_Shai @liddi @Alice Wonderland @Darkarcana @LaLa

New stills ! Will the romance begin? 

2020102101001578100107141.jpg

Translated with Papago

https://sports.chosun.com/news/ntype.htm?id=202010210100157810010714&servicedate=20201021

Spoiler

In the fourth episode, Lee Yeon (Lee Dong-wook), who broke the taboo to protect Nam Ji-ah (Jo Bo-ah), broke through the hell of pain and saved Nam Ji-ah, whose life was in danger. Nam Ji-ah, who hugged Lee Yeon-yeon, shed tears and woke up the fox beads inside her to prove Ah-eum's reincarnation. The fateful reunion took place when Lee Yeon finally found Nam Ji-ah, the reincarnation of Ah-eum, who had been waiting for 600 years.

In this regard, Lee Dong-wook and Cho Bo-ah are spotted with "extremely sincere nursing" scenes that even the pain is sweet, giving them a thrilling heart attack. In the drama, Lee Yeon, who is full of torn and injured wounds, is being cared for by Nam Ji-ah. Lee Yeon, covered with wounds, struggles with pain during treatment and Nam Ji-ah looks worried. Lee-yeon, who can't even hold her body tight, is struggling leaning on Nam Ji-ah with a bandage around her, while Nam-ah, who has put all her efforts, falls asleep in a sweat. Lee-yeon, who eventually woke up, carefully stroked Nam Ji-ah's head and created a beautiful two-shot. Attention is focusing on what future Nam Ji-ah, who remembers the significant words of Lee Yeon and Lee Yeon, who met Ah-eum's 600-year-old reincarnation, will face.

Lee Dong-wook and Cho Bo-ah's "Heartbeat Night Nursing" scene was filmed last July. As Lee Dong-wook and Cho Bo-ah had to turn back and reveal the dimness of the two people they met, they continued to monitor each other ahead of the shooting and discuss for a high-quality scene. Above all, during the filming, Jo Bo-ah impressed the staff with her care, pointing out the fan to see if Lee Dong-wook's makeup would be removed in humid weather.

The production team said, "Lee Dong-wook and Cho Bo-ah are naturally expressing emotions across Lee Yeon, Ah-eum, Lee Yeon and Nam Ji-ah, raising the level of immersion in the play," adding, "Please look forward to how the affectionate relationship between Lee Yeon, who is happy just because Ah-eum's reincarnation is alive and breathing."

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 5

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  -  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - 

While waiting for the next episode, I think this bts video was cute actually, so here is a translation of most of it. I skipped the first 10 seconds or so which talked about the prep to make the set look like a real afterlife admin building.

Video title: Ep. 07 Do you really want to see it? The world that a  gumiho ilves in?

(Some preamble about preparing your self and the lists of the dead, etc. in the first 10 sec of the video. Translation starts from 0:11)

caption: Familiar yet strange, into the gumiho’s world
caption: Let’s go together.
caption: We want to know the gumiho

caption: (really want to see it, the world the gumiho lives in)
LY: I’ve been doing that for over 600 years, so you think I wouldn’t go crazy?
caption: A symptom from having done it continuously for over 600 years
Taluipa: The one who said he would pay for it with his body was you! (meaning that LY had agreed to servitude for his infractions)
caption: A world where the gumiho who has gone off the rails and
caption: the scary grim reaper noona exist together

caption: Though he may seem like an immature child
LY caption: most determined in the world
caption: his serious face is killer!
LY: I think that (the fire) wouldn’t go out…
caption: Let him be the honorary firefighter of the afterlife… (urgently)

LY: I caught it.
LY caption: (+ He’ll even catch bugs for you. k)
caption: Different than he looks, he is a cutie pie.
caption: He is more serious than anyone about that other world
caption: a 600 year old (?) government worker of the afterlife

LY: I’ll take your picture as Taluipa.
caption: (ah…ah ah… not that…)
caption: (the reason being…)
caption: Even if another 1000 year passes, terrible at taking selfies… (cry)
LY: It’s really terrible.
LY: I think the problem is my expression.
LY: Let me try again with the selfie
LY: You’re saying I should raise my face?
caption: (If you’re not going to use that face, then give it to me, please)
LY caption: he alone is excited

caption: Today’s behind the scenes session, Is is really going to just end like this
LY: Work hard. Be well.
caption: The real information starts now!
caption: The meaning of hell in that place that is not hell but heavenly
caption: Seol Mountain Prison
caption: (advisory: the face and the physique are not CGI)

caption: I’m now exhausted
caption: granddad power
caption: If we were not filming bts, we wouldn’t be able to watch

caption: A grand presentation of a heart - body worthy of a beast
caption: It may not be a 1000 years, but still for a long time
caption: He’s not risking his life, but still a very difficult day
caption: Finally
caption: Totally with the abilities of a FOX, he was able to finish (me: they're attributing LDW with having the characteristics of his character in the drama)
caption: Are you curious whether passionate Lee Yeon’s own face is more like Wook’s?
caption: The bts on the shooting set, Wanting to know the Gumiho, KingKong by Starship. Let’s meet again on the official video channel.
LY: Let me out of these! (me: this is a line from the scen)

ADR:
Dong Wook:  I’m too dizzy
Dong Wook: Let’s do it again from when I wake up

Bo Ah: You’ve worked hard~
Dong Wook: Stop shooting already!
Bo Ah: Oppa, this is going to go out as a bts video
Dong Wook: Fine, I got it.
Bo Ah: Since you didn’t come today.
Bo Ah: How does it feel? Having gone to hell twice?
Dong Wook: I feel as if I’m having to shoot another scene right now
Dong Wook: It really feels as if I’ve done 30 minutes of cardio.
Bo Ah: You’ve worked really hard. Hurry and have a drink of PPL.  (meaning the a drink that was supplied to use as PPL in the drama which is why he holds up the Coffeebay mug)

Me: Wow, LDW worked really hard on this drama. He looked so drained during his Seol Mountain Prison scene. Anyway, he's working so hard to entertain us, and so far the drama is fantastic. And, LY is also fantastic, both character-wise and visually. :love:

• Heart Eyes 2
  • Clapping Hands 3

Translation of the preview scene that @mademoiselle had posted. Thank you!

JA: I’m sorry that I was the reason that you were hurt and now I’m trying to help, but I thought going to the hospital might not be possible. Since Mom was a doctor, I did learn some emergency first aid.
JA: Say ahh.
LY: Huh?
JA: Ah.
LY: Ah?
JA: It’s candy. When I was young, when I had to go get a shot, Mom would give me a piece of strawberry candy. After that, the hospital wasn’t so scary. I felt as if there was a strawberry scent coming from the word “hospital”.
LY: Keep talking.
JA: Mmm. Oh. When I was 9 years old, I was admitted to a psychiatric hospital. Mom and Dad had disappeared, and I had testified that the culprit wasn’t a person. I had to leave, but the doctor in charge wouldn’t clear me.
LY: Even if it had been me, I wouldn’t have done it either.
JA: I stubbornly kept following him around. I noticed that he was taking propofol.
LY: So?
JA: I told him, should I yell and bring people here or may I leave now?

I wonder if the kiss is a dream sequence? LY is in modern clothes, but JA/AE is Joseon fashion, not just a hanbok, but also her hair is braided and in a daengi.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Eps 5 spoiler cuts 

This is an extended version of the scene where JA was nursing LY . She tells him how in her younger days , when she would cry when missing her parents , a pair of fireflies would appear & it made her feel better . We see that it was LY who sent it :heart:. Looks like he’s always looked out for her 

Spoiler

Sweet ! They go out for a meal & talk about each other likes / dislikes . If I’m not mistaken he asked her towards the end what her dream was. First time I see JA feel relaxed & happy 

Oh oh @stroppyse , the kiss did happen. They were at some sort of festival, and when he went to the washroom , she decided to rent a traditional costume to wear ! And when he went to look for her , they had this super romantic setting. In that moment, she must hv reminded him so much of Ah Eum, he could not control his feelings and kissed her . Ooo the shock on her face :nya:

Eps 6 preview 

Oh no , did LY just turned into ash ? 

• Like 4
  • Heart Eyes 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  -  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - 

Translation of the ep 6 preview

JA: Who do you keep looking for since from awhile ago?
LY: Yeou Gogae is your turf, right?
Man: I think that staying alive should be your first concern right now.
JA: Everywhere you go, you get hurt. Because of me.
LY: You just have to find your family and live a carefree life. That’s all.
LR: The stuff that lets you see previous lives. You have it, don’t you?
LY: What are you doing at Minsokchon? (Minsokchon aka Korean Folk Village is a living, working museum that demonstrates ways of life in the past in Korea, located near Seoul in the satellite city of Yongin.)
LR: I had some thing to ascertain.
Boy: He’s disappeared.
TEP: Something has awoken in that child’s body.
LY: Imugi is not dead. (Imugi is a mythical serpent dragon.)

It does seem as if LY becomes ash, but he is also restored by the end of the preview, so not too worried. Can't wait to watch the episode!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2