[K-Artist] Kim Min Jae 김민재

[News] 2020.10.22 Kim Min Jae Talks About Playing The Piano For “Do You Like Brahms?,” Depending On Park Eun Bin, And More

Ek1yKylVoAAxQtC?format=jpg&name=medium

Kim Min Jae looked back on his experience acting in “Do You Like Brahms?” through an interview on October 21, following the show’s finale the day before.

The drama is a romance about classical musicians who are torn between their dream and the harshness of reality as they pursue their love of music. The actor took on his first leading role with this show, playing the role of world-renowned pianist Park Joon Young.

“When I first saw the script, I found it refreshing that there were such turbulent emotions within the calmness,” he said, explaining why he chose to join the drama. “The character Joon Young is a world class pianist but he’s very shy, which I found charming. I also thought it would be fun to do a romance.”

He went on to talk about playing the role of a pianist. “There was a lot of pressure,” he said. “It’s hard enough to just play piano, but I felt a lot of pressure about acting as a pianist who wins competitions. I became good at playing the songs I played.”

When asked to name the songs that he remembers the most, he said, “I remember Rachmaninoff and ‘Moonlight Sonata+Happy Birthday’ too. ‘Träumerei’ is unforgettable. That’s the one that I practiced for the longest and I played it a lot.”

“I watched a lot of videos of Cho Seong Jin and of foreign pianists too. I put aspects of them together to create my character,” he said. “To be honest, I wasn’t very familiar with classical music, so I searched for and watched a lot of things. Joon Young is what came out of all of that.”

On the topic of his favorite songs in the show, he named “Träumerei” and also Schumann’s “Widmung.” He added, “I actually liked all the songs in the drama; there are none that I would leave out. I think I listen to ‘Widmung’ the most lately.”

Kim Min Jae went on to share, “There was zero time to practice for the graduation recital in the latter half of the show. There was a part that I couldn’t play myself, so there was a moment where I had to just match the movements. I felt ashamed at first. There were several moments like that where I felt embarrassed. I never made an error while playing the piano that made us start the scene again, but there were times when I wasn’t satisfied with it so we did a few more takes.”

The actor not only had to play the piano, he also had to completely pull off the character of a master pianist. “To be honest, it was really hard to decide what kind of expression I should have and what gestures I should do,” he said. “Joon Young wasn’t inspired by any real person so I had to create someone new, and I wasn’t sure how to do that. It was difficult, but at some point I ended up just doing it like that. I created him after asking my teacher a lot of questions too and doing research.”

“I’m not sure if I’ve changed or if it’s just temporary, but I talk less after playing Joon Young,” he also said. “I think I’ve become a bit quieter and calmer. I need to shake that off soon.”

Kim Min Jae also spoke about acting alongside Park Eun Bin, who debuted at a young age as a child actress. Kim Min Jae said, “I depended a lot on Park Eun Bin, who made her acting debut around the time that I was born. She looks gentle but she’s tough in spirit, and she’s a strong person. It was great to work with her because of the depth she brings and her seriousness about her work, and I depended on her as a senior actor, a colleague, and a partner. I asked her a lot of questions about how to deal with difficult scenes I was feeling pressure about, and she always came back with great answers.”

He went on to say, “There was a scene where I had to express my emotions to my mother. I was feeling physically exhausted and I felt worried and pressured over the thought of having to cry in such a sad scene. I shared my concerns and she said, ‘You don’t necessarily need to cry. It will be harder to cry if you’re thinking about how you can’t cry.’ That made a big impact on me and I think I ended up doing well in the end.”

Kim Min Jae also spoke about how he gained confidence and courage while working on “Do You Like Brahms?” He shared, “I felt love from a lot of fans during this drama. Also, the cast’s teamwork and the relationship with the production team was great too. All of those aspects coming together gave me courage and confidence while working on this project.” He went on to share that he hopes that the drama gives people comfort, just like he was able to feel comforted by the show’s message while filming.

“I want to become an actor that people choose to watch because they trust me,” he said. “I hope to become the kind of actor that will touch people’s hearts to the point that they’ll say, ‘Kim Min Jae’s in this. If Kim Min Jae’s in it, then I’d better watch it.'”

“I want to try a lot of different things,” the actor said. “I’m planning on practicing the piano and exercising a lot too, because in order to be in another project I have to experience many new things and grow as a person too.” He added that the drama made him want to keep up his piano playing and that once the COVID-19 pandemic is over, he’d like to play for fans with a performance at a fan meeting.

Source (1) (2) (3) (4) via soompi

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Heart Eyes 1

[News] 2020.10.27 “Do You Like Brahms?” Rises To No. 1 On Buzzworthy Dramas List + Kim Min Jae Tops Cast Ranking

3418e90311a347dba03c3abe4f5eeeac.jpeg?s=

On October 27, Good Data Corporation shared the weekly rankings of the dramas and cast members that generated the most buzz for the week of October 19 through October 25. The company collected data from news articles, blog posts and online communities, videos, and social media for currently airing or upcoming dramas.

Following its finale, SBS’s “Do You Like Brahms?” rose one spot from the previous week to top the buzzworthy drama list. On the ranking for cast members, Kim Min Jae rose three spots to take No. 1 for the first time. Park Eun Bin also rose one spot to No. 1.

tvN’s “Record of Youth” followed close behind as the No. 2 buzzworthy drama, and Park Bo Gum also took the No. 2 spot for buzzworthy cast member after previously topping the list for seven consecutive weeks. Park So Dam came in seventh place.

In third place was tvN’s “Start-Up,” with lead actors Suzy and Nam Joo Hyuk ranking third and fifth, respectively, on the actors’ ranking.

Furthermore, the new MBC drama “The Spies Who Loved Me” starring Yoo In Na, Shinhwa’s Eric, and Im Joo Hwan also entered the list of top 10 dramas at eighth place, and Yoo In Na entered the cast members ranking at No. 10.

The top 10 dramas that generated the most buzz this past week are as follows:

1. SBS “Do You Like Brahms?” – 17.81 percent
  2. tvN “Record of Youth” – 15.03 percent
  3. tvN “Start-Up” – 14.72 percent
  4. tvN “Tale of the Nine-Tailed” – 10.06 percent
  5. JTBC “18 Again” – 6.23 percent
  6. KBS2 “Do Do Sol Sol La La Sol” – 3.80 percent
  7. SBS “Alice” – 3.58 percent
  8. MBC “The Spies Who Loved Me” – 3.18 percent
  9. JTBC “More Than Friends” – 3.08 percent
  10. OCN “Search” – 3.03 percent

Buzzworthy-Drama.jpeg

he top 10 drama actors that generated the most buzz this past week are as follows:

1. Kim Min Jae (“Do You Like Brahms?”)
  2. Park Bo Gum (“Record of Youth”)
  3. Suzy (“Start-Up”)
  4. Park Eun Bin (“Do You Like Brahms?”)
  5. Nam Joo Hyuk (“Start-Up”)
  6. Lee Dong Wook (“Tale of the Nine-Tailed”)
  7. Park So Dam (“Record of Youth”)
  8. Jo Bo Ah (“Tale of the Nine-Tailed”)
  9. Kim Seon Ho (“Start-Up”)
  10. Yoo In Na (“The Spies Who Loved Me”)

Buzzworthy-Cast.jpeg

Source (1) via soompi

• Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 1
1 minute ago, mademoiselle said:

@SilverMoonTea :cry: But... but.. but... YSY is the bio dad. How can he dumped Omma and steal his son's crush. :duckPHAT::NoHalCat:

LOL I just went back few pages and realised you and @abs-oluteM both posted the same music video of him with Younha. :laugh:

@mademoiselle you never know with @SilverMoonTea, her SLS may come later  :D

• Haha 2

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: The Impossible Heir - Fri-Sat:  -  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - In Blossom, Guess Who I Am

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...