Dream of Chang'an / Stand By Me 梦醒长安 [2021]

41 minutes ago, SilverMoonTea said:

I'm still in very early episodes. I'll go back reading everyone opinion later on. However I have few questions that I'm a bit confused here, appreciate if someone can help me :

- Why the female officer dress up as male? 

- The translation is a bit weird, Violet Bureau and Chess Seer? What is supposed to be their work assignment? 😅

- In the beginning, Cheng Yi character shot arrow to kill the grandfather & girls, but he's not the same as the current Li Yan the young emperor that now is ruling right? 

A lot of these questions will be answered as you progress through the drama.

Cheng Ruoyu is not really dressed as a man but as an officer of the royal court. It's her official uniform, if you like. 

The Violet Bureau is an army that was established by a previous female emperor. (Most likely Empress Wu) They've kept the tradition ever since. Their job is to protect the emperor and do what he tells them.

The Chess Camp is an arm of Eunuch Qiu Ziliang's military force. They answer to him ultimately. Qiu Yanzhi, his goddaughter is the chief of the Chess Camp.

It is Qi Yan the current emperor who shot both grandfather and the girls. As you watch more of the show you will understand why he did that and his relationship with the grandfather who was his tutor. You will also find out how the girls survived.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Currently Watching: Queen of Tears, In Blossom

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

@SilverMoonTea @40somethingahjumma I really hope the ML doesn't die halfway, though I won't be surprised if he does. At the rate he keeps prioritising the FL, I can see him dying on her account. I've watched E16-20 and now am starting from the very beginning. I'm thoroughly enjoying how he falls for her and all her rash antics. I think her behaviour is really a breath of fresh air in that stuffy, uptight palace. In fact if she had been any more restrained, I don't think she would have caught his eye - it's truly because she speaks her mind, and says what she feels is right. 

• Heart Eyes 2

Thanks for the explanation @40somethingahjumma. I think the aging process of the emperor is a bit weird? If the girls already grown up now, isn't he supposed to look a bit older at least ? But he's forever young still 😂 So this portion felt a bit odd for me. 

@IpohBananaHe clearly very interested at her since the beginning. Probably even from when he saw her picture in resume submitted for Violet Bureau job? He noticed her already and know who she is, when she first appear during the hunting night. She's also very devoted to him, or to her job to protect the king? I need to find out more about her motivation, since I'm just finished 3 eps only. 

• Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

ezgif-com-gif-maker-47.gif

15 hours ago, SilverMoonTea said:

Thanks for the explanation @40somethingahjumma. I think the aging process of the emperor is a bit weird? If the girls already grown up now, isn't he supposed to look a bit older at least ? But he's forever young still 😂 So this portion felt a bit odd for me. 

@IpohBananaHe clearly very interested at her since the beginning. Probably even from when he saw her picture in resume submitted for Violet Bureau job? He noticed her already and know who she is, when she first appear during the hunting night. She's also very devoted to him, or to her job to protect the king? I need to find out more about her motivation, since I'm just finished 3 eps only. 

@SilverMoonTea Yes, he knows who she is from her appointment information but I suspect he was highly suspicious of her, more so as he had that encounter with her in the forest. He's been trained to be highly wary of the people around him and he may have had a somewhat biased impression of how a Sword Bearer is supposed to be, based on her predecessor, Gongsun (something or other, can't recall the full name). He told someone that a Sword Bearer ought not to be so talkative, (maybe) more composed, and certainly less opinionated (to serve, and not to think). On the contrary, she defies all those qualities he thinks a Sword Bearer should have, so in the very beginning she rubs him the wrong way, and gives him the impression that she is not qualified for the job. Luckily though, he is smart enough to realise that despite being different, she is very willing to protect him and be guided by her true north (values), and he listens to what people around him have to say (especially Prince Guang). That is the turning point where he starts to accept her.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

If you need help understanding the last bit at the end which is unsubbed, one of us will help with that. I've got to attend to works stuff now.

Yess, when have time can help us translate the bits that missing? CY seems an introvert, quiet & calm type in real life. They must have good understanding for each other, both from same agency and aside than this drama, they also played the modern drama together. Like wow! 

@IpohBananaPrince Guang a bit suspicious when he talked about posthumous edict with Qi Yan. He said this could not be exist and don't fall to enemy trap. But even Shiliang also still searching for it. It's a bit odd that he seems so sure that it's not exist. 

Actually Prince Guang also the one awaken the trust of RuoYu in QiYan. He might think she can become QY's achilles heel later on? But he looks so kind, are we too suspicious of him? 😅

• Haha 2

@IpohBananaHe warned her not to fall in love with him. But during his so called date with Princess Misha in the market, he kept thinking only of her. 

And all hell breaks loose when he knew she's missing. The moment he saw her again in the prison, he kept calling her Yu Er. Before this, correct me if I'm wrong, he never call her Yu Er right, it always Cheng Rou Yu? And it should indicated the increase closeness to her. 

20210821-001522.jpg

20210821-000810.jpg

Cto

• Haha 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

27 minutes ago, SilverMoonTea said:

@IpohBananaHe warned her not to fall in love with him. But during his so called date with Princess Misha in the market, he kept thinking only of her. 

And all hell breaks loose when he knew she's missing. The moment he saw her again in the prison, he kept calling her Yu Er. Before this, correct me if I'm wrong, he never call her Yu Er right, it always Cheng Rou Yu? And it should indicated the increase closeness to her. 

@SilverMoonTea Yup, I think that was the first time he called her that. Lol, I think in Chinese it's called 口是心非, saying one thing and doing another. Sigh, I am hoping it's a HE... I mean who on earth is going to be the Emperor if he dies? The Uncle? The weak looking Prince An? Or as he said, an entire line of young, insignificant princes?

Hhmmm I have a date with September 1, thanks for the updated calendar!

As for Prince Guang, Han Dong has done such a good job of being the villain, it's hard for us to believe that this time round he's genuinely a good guy (I think the others in this forum have been echoing the same thoughts). But either way, good or bad, Han Dong is awesome to watch (I am guilty of being more enthralled with him than Allen Ren in UTP, keh keh keh).

Edited by IpohBanana
  • Haha 2
17 hours ago, SilverMoonTea said:

Yess, when have time can help us translate the bits that missing? CY seems an introvert, quiet & calm type in real life. They must have good understanding for each other, both from same agency and aside than this drama, they also played the modern drama together. Like wow! 

The missing part from the video interview:

Zhang Yuxi who has transitioned from being a model to an actress is asked about whether there’s anything she’d like to improve in.

She says that there’s plenty she’d like to change including building her body up because she now thinks that she looks too thin, a little lacking in energy at times. Also with regards to her performance, her lines there’s a lot more for her to learn.

She’s asked if she has moments of anxiety.

She says that she definitely such moments when she gets positive or negative comments. She has to always tell herself that where has she done well and where she hasn’t. Concern over appropriate comments is a good thing. They can help her to work harder and move ahead.

At the end the leads say goodbye and ask the audience to support their show Stand By Me (lit: The Emperor’s Song). [They can’t decide what to say at first and do another take]

This is a clip from Episode 21 

I really love the flirty bad boy vibe when he interacts with her like this. 

On one level he's worried about putting her in jeopardy being with him, on another he's drawn to her like a moth to a flame.

• Thanks 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

Finally I'm up to date to ep 23 :LarvitarSDab1:Lack of sleep these few days :pandablank:

The situation with Prince An is quite sad, that it's actually a repetitive situation of Qi Yan and the previous emperor. 

The politics quite endearing, but I have to say the main drive for me with this drama is the romance, sparse here & there, but once in it's very romantic & sad at the same time? QY survival on this is with denial mode, he kept saying they're just emperor & official. I'm like, yeah you're right? :idk:

20210821-190120.jpg

Waiting for this scene :

Spoiler

Btw anyone else picked if Aunt Cheng Xi seems have slight interest to Prince Guang, forgot which episode but felt her gaze to him is intentionally longer. Okay maybe I should stop suspecting Prince Guang :GrowDerp: Seems Aunt have another political side. 

• Heart Eyes 1

@SilverMoonTea It's very addictive isn't it? And the pairing is really working for me. 

I don't even mind the push and pull.

Episode 24 was hard on both the leads but what can Yu'er do? She's torn between two loyalties but yeah, it should have come from her not someone else. It's very lonely on top for Qi Yan. He doesn't have anyone he can trust wholeheartedly. But then this is the game he has to play to win. I think I've lost count of all the competing agendas but it does make for a good story. 

Some great acting by Cheng Yi

BTS for one of the "bed" scenes.

• Clapping Hands 1

25 minutes ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

@SilverMoonTea It's very addictive isn't it? And the pairing is really working for me. 

I don't even mind the push and pull.

Wow you change your DP :lmao2: I also love that poster making! I love the way he hold her hands! His hand so pretty too. 

ezgif-com-gif-maker-51.gif

RENRV-3m.jpg

I actually really like push & pull romance, and somehow it working very well in this drama. I'm trying to lure @abs-oluteM& @Tofulols but no success haha... 

Hit 1B viewers congrats! 

• Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

I got my answer on CRY motivation by ep 24. She simply following her swore oath when she joined Violet Bureau. That it's to protect the lord from the perils. I actually quite like how her character written. She's not easily swayed by anyone and stick to her own principle. 

QY chase her away, but actually he should know. She would not betraying him, but due to her bond with her aunt it's not easy for RY to spill the beans. I think it's because in his mind, he already suspect that everyone will leave him in the end. 

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

@40somethingahjumma @SilverMoonTea Sigh, my heart was aching for both the Emperor and Cheng Ruo Yu as they both had to deal with the Aunt's betrayal. One couldn't stand being lied to and the other didn't have the heart to betray her aunt. I suppose in all that time, it was one of the few moments he is being depicted as losing his cool and acting rather irrationally. It was also the only moment when he chased her away not because he wanted to protect her, but because he was really upset with her, at least from the point onwards when he realised he was in love with her.

I just watched E25-26 and the preview for E27, and I am screaming at the preview, or at least with the direction of where it's going. 

Spoiler

So in E26, it ends with our FL ending up creating chaos in her aunt's bestie's room at the ChessXXXX residence (sorry I am bad with the name of that place, lol) and of course it's a diversion so that Yan Zhi and her sidekick can go and save Princess Misha. And in walks Qiu Zhi Liang, which was the plan all along, for him to find out about the aunt's identity.

Well we don't know what happens after that but what we do know is that in the preview for E27, Cheng Ruo Yu is wounded and the Emperor has of course come to QZL's residence I think to save her (prolly guessed that CRY is there when Misha has been delivered to him).

And I don't know how they came up with this reason but CRY claims she is pregnant because I think QZL wants to execute her for whatever reason he can think of. And according to the 'law' if she is pregnant, then there ought to be a stay of execution, as I suppose she is carrying the Emperor's child.

[At this moment as I am watching them, I can kinda feel the Emperor is holding back his surprise when he hears that (or at least in my imagination, I can almost imagine Cheng Yi/Emperor doing a few takes as he tries to hold back his laughter when Zhang Yu Xi/CRY says she is pregnant.]

Seriously - she's gonna walk around with a fake belly while he dotes on her because she's supposely pregnant with his kid? [me rolling on the floor and laughing, I am obviously delighted that there will be a short, I presume, a very short period when he can dote on her openly, in plain sight, and to his heart's content]

I don't know how they pulled it off but a physician takes her pulse and confirms that she is pregnant (me scratching my head, wow, this conspiracy must have taken some planning) but the physician claims for him to detect it she must be quite advanced in her pregnancy, around 4 months. But the dates don't match, between how many months the physician says she should be for him to detect this kinda of pulse and the date that I think it was recorded that there was some activity in the Emperor's bed chambers (I suppose it's that night they were on the bed together???). Geez imagine having all your activities recorded in a book and being observed by someone. But the physician says right now CRY is badly wounded so it could be that her condition is causing him to make an inaccurate diagnosis, and at this moment, ought they not to play safe? 

Edited by IpohBanana
  • Insightful 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

@SilverMoonTea is a powerful drama seller. Proof in the spoiler tag...

Spoiler

6VIDLkk.jpg

I watched episode one and parts of episode two. The female lead's personality is refreshing. It's a nice contrast to the rest of the other characters. I don't have much to say about Cheng Yi's character yet. I was telling Tea that he looks sad a lot. Haha!! 

I'm usually not a big fan of period dramas that focus a lot on politics, but I will watch a few more episodes before I decide if I'll commit or drop. 

• Haha 3