Girl Group Haven

Merry_Shai

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/23/2020 at 6:19 PM, Tofu said:

Mamamoo released a new song, Dingga. By the way, maybe I'm just old, but what does "dingga" mean? Haha! 

LOL. That seems to be Konglish at it's finest. At a couple of points, they actually sing "ding-a-ling-a-ling", so I'm sure you can infer what "dingga" is.

On 11/8/2020 at 11:11 PM, Merry_Shai said:

What are your thoughts on SM's newest group? aespa. If some didn't know, they have an AI theme where each member has an ai counterpart.

I think the group is meant to appeal to gamer boys and their waifu's maybe? I don't know whether they can sing or not, but already I'm not a fan.

The members of the group are all very pretty, look to be fit, highly stylized, made to look sexy, and surgically enhanced. So, I find it amusing that their AI counterparts apparently "improve" on that some more by adding Barbie doll dimensions for both face and body, clothes that are painted on as if they were skin, and given enhanced anime looks.

I suppose I could be the lone woman out there wishing that the male Korean entertainment honchos would stop thinking that it's a great ideal to objectify their female entertainers ever more?

Changing topics @Merry_Shai, I really liked the two 15& songs that you've posted to this thread.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
13 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

LOL. That seems to be Konglish at it's finest. At a couple of points, they actually sing "ding-a-ling-a-ling", so I'm sure you can infer what "dingga" is.

I think the group is meant to appeal to gamer boys and their waifu's maybe? I don't know whether they can sing or not, but already I'm not a fan.

The members of the group are all very pretty, look to be fit, highly stylized, made to look sexy, and surgically enhanced. So, I find it amusing that their AI counterparts apparently "improve" on that some more by adding Barbie doll dimensions for both face and body, clothes that are painted on as if they were skin, and given enhanced anime looks.

I suppose I could be the lone woman out there wishing that the male Korean entertainment honchos would stop thinking that it's a great ideal to objectify their female entertainers ever more?

Changing topics @Merry_Shai, I really liked the two 15& songs that you've posted to this thread.

I think the concept more so has to do with the future? Kinda like how NCT can continue on no matter who the members are as long as it has the NCT brand (U, Dream, 127, WayV). From what I read, it can kinda create newer type of content for the group as well as newer opportunities. Idk it's an interesting concept, but I already see a failed logic here as fans already don't know boundaries. Maybe he got the idea when SNSD had that partnership with a video game some years back. 

The interesting thing about the concepts and styles is that the majority of loyal fans are actually female, yes there are fanboys who do contribute, but it's been shown female fans hold basically all the card (which explains how it can be easier for a boy group to succeed while girl groups can take a longer road). There's only been a handful of girl groups who had the equal amount of female & male fans to give them the perfect edge and SNSD was the first to have this. Ever since then, companies tried to recreate them & I think the only other one that can say they're closest is Twice. 

@stroppyse 

15& was one of my favorite vocal groups, their demise was my biggest grudge against JYPE as a whole because it was obvious they didn't even try to make them into a digital powerhouse like Davichi, but instead tried to mold them into an idol group that didn't suit either of their personalities. 

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Merry_Shai said:

15& was one of my favorite vocal groups, their demise was my biggest grudge against JYPE as a whole because it was obvious they didn't even try to make them into a digital powerhouse like Davichi, but instead tried to mold them into an idol group that didn't suit either of their personalities. 

That's a shame. It seems to be a Korean cultural phenomenon that once something is a bit hit, then everyone who comes after must be fitted into that same mode, though the ones who succeed usually succeed as much because they have something original or unique about them rather than being cookie cuter.  The Big Three in K-ent seems wired to do nothing but try to churn out those cookie cutters, regardless of how much base talent that the members may have.

There is a thriving Indie movement in SK, but they're not funded at all, and the Big Three seem to have a lock on marketing media. Shame that since there are some really good music. Right now, though, it's overwhelmed by idol k-pop and the resurgent trot, neither of which I'm a particular fan of.

As for the fans of girl groups being other girls, I can see that, but it's a much more complicated cycle of why I think. Hyper-sexuality can be a form of rebellion as well as a response to what guys who they like might like. Plus, most of the decision makers at the Big Three are men. I still stand think that those senior people including owners, most of them who are men, are fine with objectifying girls.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, stroppyse said:

That's a shame. It seems to be a Korean cultural phenomenon that once something is a bit hit, then everyone who comes after must be fitted into that same mode, though the ones who succeed usually succeed as much because they have something original or unique about them rather than being cookie cuter.  The Big Three in K-ent seems wired to do nothing but try to churn out those cookie cutters, regardless of how much base talent that the members may have.

There is a thriving Indie movement in SK, but they're not funded at all, and the Big Three seem to have a lock on marketing media. Shame that since there are some really good music. Right now, though, it's overwhelmed by idol k-pop and the resurgent trot, neither of which I'm a particular fan of.

As for the fans of girl groups being other girls, I can see that, but it's a much more complicated cycle of why I think. Hyper-sexuality can be a form of rebellion as well as a response to what guys who they like might like. Plus, most of the decision makers at the Big Three are men. I still stand think that those senior people including owners, most of them who are men, are fine with objectifying girls.

People often take a method that worked for one group because it proved effective although you have agencies like SM who know they can never recreate what they had for a previous group (they never tried to make another SNSD as there wouldn't be a way to re-do what they had). Whether it's a repeated concept (cute, sexy, girl crush, etc) everyone tries to follow a trend to gain some steam. I do agree & knetz have always said some groups have made it because there was something different about them, whether it's songs, dance, or even personalities...there's something that sets them apart. 

You'd be surprised at how many women are actually in charge of concepts and what's worn, I know for many smaller agencies it's men & for groups like Stellar (who disbanded a year ago) who are forced to dress a certain way because they feel some attention is better than no attention. Many girl groups don't have longevity the way boy groups do because they don't have the solid fandoms which explains the concepts & pandering to male audiences (especially army men). It's hard to capture the attention of the general public unless you have a viral fancam (Hani) or release something extremely catchy (Momoland) and even then, that can wane quickly so having that loyal fandom is always needed. 

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

So true. I think that's why I'm awed by ARMY. I do like BTS, the members and their music, but I'm in awe of their fandom!

I have so many things to say about that fandom, but it'll take a dissertation. I will say though that the majority of the fandom weren't around during their early years & showed up after a certain British boy group disbanded. They weren't total failures. but they did benefit off of BAP's initial lawsuits and 1D breaking up. Boy groups are easier to market, they can gain fans easily while girl groups are a tad harder & they'd need to pander a bit to gain some steam. It's why so many opt to do sexier concepts because then they'd become hot topics & would have more performances (a lot for the army). I love more mature concepts because I feel they can do more with it, there's so many aspects to being sexy that's not just a one dimensional thing. 

When CLC really switched up their sound & image, they went with something more mature & sophisticated. 

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, Merry_Shai said:

though that the majority of the fandom weren't around during their early years & showed up after a certain British boy group disbanded. They weren't total failures. but they did benefit off of BAP's initial lawsuits and 1D breaking up.

Not much to say about this I guess since I wasn't around for the early years as well. I only really became aware of them and started listening to their music around 2016 after their KCON appearance. But, I have no idea who the British boy group is, or even BAP or 1D. 

Prior to BTS and a few other bands like Day6 or Crying Nuts, I mostly listened to American music styles with some European (Sigur Ros anyone? Love them.). Just realized that they're all male bands, though, my musical tastes tend to be gender neutral in other genres. LOL

Anyway, getting back to k-pop girl groups, I'm aware of Blackpink, of course, because they seem to be everywhere, 2NE1 because how could I not even if they're now disbanded, and After School which seemed an interesting concept, though hard to get behind with graduating members. To be honest, I know who SNSD are and that they are probably the original mega-girl group, but I can't recall any of their songs. So, the songs that have been posted to this thread have been very interesting and educational for me.

Thank you

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

Not much to say about this I guess since I wasn't around for the early years as well. I only really became aware of them and started listening to their music around 2016 after their KCON appearance. But, I have no idea who the British boy group is, or even BAP or 1D. 

Prior to BTS and a few other bands like Day6 or Crying Nuts, I mostly listened to American music styles with some European (Sigur Ros anyone? Love them.). Just realized that they're all male bands, though, my musical tastes tend to be gender neutral in other genres. LOL

Anyway, getting back to k-pop girl groups, I'm aware of Blackpink, of course, because they seem to be everywhere, 2NE1 because how could I not even if they're now disbanded, and After School which seemed an interesting concept, though hard to get behind with graduating members. To be honest, I know who SNSD are and that they are probably the original mega-girl group, but I can't recall any of their songs. So, the songs that have been posted to this thread have been very interesting and educational for me.

Thank you

Haha I should have just said One Direction, when they disbanded BTS benefitted a lot when those fans had nowhere else to go & flocked there (it can also explain why quite a bit of the fandom are inherently anti-Black, that's another topic). BAP is also a boy group that debuted around the same time as BTS (and EXO) and were considered a wall at their peak, they declined when they ended up suing their agency (TS) for better treatment. When BAP basically went away during their lawsuit, many fans went to BTS or EXO. 

BLACKPINK could actually bet bigger if YG wasn't so dumb & actually gave them more songs to release during their earlier time. They debuted same year as WJSN (Cosmic Girls) & within one year, WJSN had more songs. The joke was newer groups had more songs than BP. The girls are crazy talented, but management is less than stellar though one shouldn't be surprised since YGE also messed up 2NE1.

SNSD was actually the first kpop group I discovered and it's amazing how I branched out so much away from them since then. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Lately I've been in to Niziu, which is rare as i'm not much into young girl groups.

They are a Japanese group but they are under JYP and they also sing in Korean in addition to Japanese

They have 9 members, but 1 didnt make it for the debut.

Sadly a lot of physical and mental stress from training affected her. but I think she is still a member and return soon.

I guess three reasons I've found them interesting.

- they auditioned in my city, really close to where I live

- one of the members is the daughter of Zeebra, one of Japan's legendary rappers

- at least two of the members are bi-lingual even tri-lingual. one girl is half American half Japanese. Speaks both fluently and seems to show understanding of Korean.  Zeebra's daughter speaks all three well. but prefers English (she was put in an international school)

• Like 1

Squirtle!!

Squirt squirt

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

blackpink-kpop.gif

Posted By Yaki Jones. 

BLACKPINK excites fans with 'Pink Venom' credit poster.

1660404545-fadkeqhveautjpi.jpg

On August 14 at midnight KST, the K-pop phenomenon revealed the "Pink Venom" credit poster. According to the released credit poster, their upcoming pre-release single was written and composed by Teddy, a producer well-known for creating hits for YG artists. 

The other producers who participated in writing the song are similar to those of "How You Like That', which is further raising fans' anticipation.

Meanwhile, Blackpink's pre-release single "Pink Venom" from their upcoming 2nd full album 'Born Pink' is coming on August, 19 at 12 a.m EST.

source:

https://www.allkpop.com/article/2022/08/blackpink-excites-fans-with-pink-venom-credit-poster

CurrentlyLiesGrden•CYouIn19thLif•Battle4HappinssWaitingRvenant•Heartb•NumbersFinishedBingeWatchingRace•B.Knight•GloryIIDaily•2D1NS4•RunMan

• 2 weeks later...

884a291a1d515c0e9d73cad3b9cda789.jpg

Edaily Star Reporter Yoon Ki Baek.

Blackpink ranked 2nd on Spotify global weekly chart.

PS22082700027.jpg

Photo=YG Entertainment.

The group Blackpink's 2nd regular album pre-release song 'Pink Venom' recorded the highest ranking in K-pop history on the world's largest music streaming platform Spotify Top Songs Global Weekly Chart.

Blackpink's 'Pink Venom' took second place on the Spotify Top Songs Global Weekly Chart released on August, 26 (US). The song's total streaming count over the past week was 41,28,215, Spotify said. BLACKPINK has been on Spotify's Top Songs Global Weekly Chart so far: 'How You Like That' (4th), 'Ice Cream' (5th), 'Kill This Love' (5th), and 'Love Style Girls' (6th) has proven its strong presence. Even though 'Pink Venom' is a pre-release song for the 2nd full-length album, expectations for the album's title song are growing as it surpasses the previous hit songs.

BLACKPINK will perform on the stage of 'MTV VMAs' held at the Prudential Center in New Jersey, USA on August, 29. (KST).

source:

https://www.edaily.co.kr/news/read?newsId=01144726632431584&mediaCodeNo=258

Edited by twink_twink_
  • Like 1

CurrentlyLiesGrden•CYouIn19thLif•Battle4HappinssWaitingRvenant•Heartb•NumbersFinishedBingeWatchingRace•B.Knight•GloryIIDaily•2D1NS4•RunMan

• 2 weeks later...