Movie Recommendations List

abnoch

• 1 month later...
Entertainment

AllFilmTelevisionMusicTheaterK-popesports

Netflix hopes for turnaround with Korean original ‘20th Century Girl’

By Song Seung Hyun

20220927000663-0.jpgPoster of new Netflix movie "20th Century Girl" (Netflix)

One of the first projects it is banking on is the upcoming romance film "20th Century Girl,” which Netflix said Monday will be released on October, 21.

The film, set in the year 1999, follows the first love and friendships of a high school student. It stars young actors Kim Yoo Jung, Byeon Woo Seok, Park Jung Woo and Roh Yoon Seo.

The film centers around Bo Ra (Kim), a 17-year-old high school student who is athletic and has a bright personality. She is also a member of the broadcasting club at her school with Woon Ho (Byeon Woo Seok).

20220927000664-0.jpg

A scene from the Netflix original movie "20th Century Girl" directed and written by Bang Woo Ri (Netflix)

One day, Bo Ra finds out that her best friend Yeon Doo (Roh) has a big crush on Hyun Jin (Park Jung Woo), a close friend of Woon Ho. Yeon Doo has to go abroad for a heart surgery and he asks Bo Ra to keep her eyes on Hyun Jin to find out everything about her while he is away.

'source'

https://twitter.com/TheKoreaHerald/status/1574749609708003328

Edited by twink_twink_
  • Clapping Hands 1

CurrentlyLiesGrden•CYouIn19thLif•Battle4HappinssWaitingRvenant•Heartb•NumbersFinishedBingeWatchingRace•B.Knight•GloryIIDaily•2D1NS4•RunMan

[Box Office] 'Confidential Assignment 2: International' topped 6 million on weekends for 4 consecutive weeks.

Drama&Film  

yna1065624913831382-235.jpg

Confidential Assignment 2: International.

Seoul Yonhap News Reporter Kim Jeong Jin. 'Confidential Assignment 2: International', a comic investigation drama starring Hyun Bin and Yoo Hae Jin, surpassed new works at the box office for 4 weeks in a row took first place.

On the 4th, according to the integrated computer network of movie theater admissions by the Film Promotion Committee, 'Confidential Assignment 2: International' took the first place in the box office with 437,000 audiences during the holiday (September 30 to October 3) that lasted until the 3rd , a public holiday.

Until the day before the 27th day of release, the cumulative number of audiences was about 6,213,000.

'Confidential Assignment 2: International' was released on the 7th of last month, is a long-term success by retaking the box office lead twice even with the release of new films in succession, but it does not seem to exceed the performance of the previous work (7.81 million people).

The comedy movie 'Honest Candidate 2' starring Ra Mi Ran took second place with 340,000 viewers during the same period. Since its release on the 28th of last month, the film topped the box office and was considered a competitor to 'Cooperation 2', but it has remained in second place after being pushed out of the lead on the third day of its release.

The jukebox musical 'Life is Beautiful' starring Ryu Seung Ryong and Yeom Jeong Ah, released on the same day, maintained third place with 338,000 viewers.

The new anime "Theatrical Version Can't Stop Crayon: A Mystery!" Flowering Heavenly Cotyledon School' and 'Theatrical version of Hello Carbot: The Secret of the Suspicious Magical Troupe' mobilized about 209,000 and 131,000 spectators, respectively, ranked 4th and 5th in order.

Edited by twink_twink_
  • Clapping Hands 1

CurrentlyLiesGrden•CYouIn19thLif•Battle4HappinssWaitingRvenant•Heartb•NumbersFinishedBingeWatchingRace•B.Knight•GloryIIDaily•2D1NS4•RunMan

• 1 month later...

Actor Kwon Sang Woo experiences alternate life in fantasy-comedy film 'Switch'

By Kwak Yeon Soo

optimize-1.jpg

From left, actors Kwon Sang Woo, Oh Jung Se, Lee Min Jung and director Ma Dae Yun attend a press conference for the film, "Switch," in Seoul, Wednesday. Yonhap

Actors Kwon Sang Woo and Oh Jung Se will star in fantasy-comedy film "Switch" as best friends who have their identities swapped on Christmas.

"Switch" is a humorous story that follows A-list actor Park Kang (Kwon) who wakes up one Christmas morning to find himself living an alternate version of his own life in which he had chosen to marry his girlfriend and settled into a quiet family life with two adorable kids.

Oh initially plays the role of Kang's overworked manager, Jo Yoon, but thanks to some fantastical forces, he finds himself in an alternate reality where he suddenly becomes a famous actor.

The film brings out the importance of relationships and values that govern our choices in life by juxtaposing career success with the emotional fulfillment arising from deep and abiding love and affection.

Director Ma Dae Yun explained he was inspired by Charles Dickens' "A Christmas Carol" and Mark Twain's "The Prince and the Pauper." He added a Christmas and New Year holiday vibe to the story concept.

optimize.jpg

The poster for the film, "Switch" / Courtesy of Lotte Entertainment

• Clapping Hands 1

Written By Reporter Hwang Dong Hee

‘Decision to Leave’ wins 6 awards at Blue Dragon Film Awards, including best film

Actor Lee Jung Jae wins best new director for his directorial debut 'Hunt'

20221127000087-0.jpg

Actors Tang Wei (left) and Park Hae Il pose for photos at the red carpet ceremony of the 43rd Blue Dragon Film Awards, Seoul, Friday.

Filmmaker Park Chan Wook’s Cannes-winning romance-thriller “Decision to Leave” swept major categories at this year’s Blue Dragon Film Awards, one of the most prestigious film events here.

The film, nominated in 12 categories, took six trophies including best film, best director, best actor and best actress awards during the 43rd edition of the ceremony held at KBS Hall in Seoul, on Friday night.

The film revolves around a detective, played by Park Hae Il, who investigates a murder case where he suspects a mysterious widow, played by Tang Wei.

20221127000079-0.jpg

Filmmaker Park Chan Wook attends the 11th Annual LACMA Art+Film Gala at Los Angeles County Museum of Art in Los Angeles, Nov. 5. AFP- Yonhap

Director Park clinched best director for the film at this year’s Cannes Film Festival. The film has been selected as the country's entry for best international feature film for the 95th Academy Awards to be held next March.

“One good thing about being a director is that you have many opportunities to meet talented people in different fields,” Park said in his acceptance speech delivered by actor-comedian Kim Shin Young, who received the award on Park's behalf.

Park was unable to attend the ceremony as he is filming abroad. Kim starred in the film as a detective.

This marks Park’s third time winning the best director award at the Blue Dragon Film Awards, following “Joint Security Area” (2000) and “Oldboy” (2003).

20221127000080-0.jpg

Director Park Chan Wook (center), actor Park Hae Il (left) and Tang Wei are seen on the set for “Decision to Leave.” (CJ ENM)

Actor Park Hae Il was named best actor while Tang Wei nabbed best actress for their roles in the Cannes-winning film.

“I would like to share this joy with Tang Wei, who perfectly portrayed the role of Seo Rae. She made Hae Jun unable to get out of the beach forever,” said Park after expressing gratitude to director Park and screenwriter Jeong Seo Kyung.

Tang, speaking briefly in Korean before switching to English and Chinese, said, “Actors wait for that one good script and one character for months, years and even decades. I am very lucky to have met this character, Seo Rae."

Meanwhile, the best supporting actor and actress awards went to Byun Yo Han for “Hansan: Rising Dragon” and Oh Na Ra for “Perhaps Love.”

Kim Dong Hwi of the film “In Our Prime” and Kim Hye Yoon of “The Girl on a Bulldozer” were named best new actor and actress, respectively.

Spoiler

20221127000081-0.jpg

Actors Lee Jung Jae (left) and Jung Woo Sung star in Lee's directorial debut “Hunt.” (Megabox Plus M)

The best new director award went to actor Lee Jung Jae for his directorial debut “Hunt,” which also grabbed two other awards -- best editing and best cinematography and lighting.

The Emmy-winning star of "Squid Game" was absent from the ceremony due to a scheduling conflict. Actor Jung Woo Sung who starred in the film accepted the award on Lee's behalf.

“'Hunt' was a meaningful film for me. And it was more meaningful to meet the audience during stage greetings. Thank you everyone who loved the film,” Lee said over the phone from the UK.

https://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20221127000071&np=1&mp=1

Edited by twink_twink_
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Decibel 2022 

Despite all the big stars name here, the movie fell flat and failed to impress me. It was overall just a combination of Titanic with Speed's Keanu Reeves. Cha Eun Woo & Lee Jong Suk played as a brother here, which totally make sense , pair of handsome brothers :laugh:

LJS is the disgruntled villain because he lost his brother in the torpedo accident. He's very handsome, but somehow I'm not totally conviced. But I think it's also because the way they wrote his character made him such an ambiguous villain. 

As of KRW, it's kinda fun to see him running around. But that's all, nothing special about the character either. Heroic but you don't really feel attachment to his character. 

The side character make it a little more fun which is the reporter and the investigator played by JSH & PBE. 

Overall, I'm fine to lost my money because LJS so dashing in his navy suit. I can't complain much. Did this guy become even more handsome now? :idk:But if you're not LJS's fans I think can pass to watch this on cinema and just wait on streaming... @mademoiselle

• Haha 1

ezgif-com-gif-maker-47.gif

Just now, mademoiselle said:

@SilverMoonTea LJS is Oppaya. But I'll still watch afterwards 😆. Korean movies in cinema not easy to find here. He looks really good in long hair too in The Witch 2

Yes the man is very handsome. I have complain about the movie not about his look... hahaha... His look is the one made me felt is okay to burn 15 bucks to go cinema :lmao2:

eOqYY-3f.jpg

• Heart Eyes 1

ezgif-com-gif-maker-47.gif

[SBS Entertainment News Reporter Kim Ji Hye]

30000804967-500.jpg

The movie 'The Night Owl' kept the top spot at the box office for 18 consecutive days.

According to the Korea Film Promotion Commission's integrated computer network on the 11th, 'The Night Owl' mobilized 193,225 viewers nationwide on the 10th and kept the top spot at the box office. The cumulative number of viewers was 2,347,713. 'The Night Owl', which surpassed 1 million viewers in 7 days of its release, vomited a spirit that exceeded the break-even point (2.1 million viewers) in 15 days. 'The Night Owl', which surpassed 2.3 million viewers on the 3rd week weekend, surpassed 'Emergency Declaration' (2.05 million) and 'Black Panther: Wakanda Forever' (2.09 million) to rank 10th among the box office films released this year.

The Night Owl is a 2022 South Korean period thriller drama film directed by Ahn Tae Jin, starring Ryu Jun Yeol and Yoo Hae Jin. 'The Night Owl' is a thriller about a blind acupuncturist who can only see at night who witnesses the crown prince's death and then struggles to uncover the truth. 2nd place at the box office was taken by 'Men of Plastic (Apgujeong)' with 35,490 people, and 3rd place was taken by the Japanese film 'Even If This Love Disappears From The World Tonight' with 32,041 people.

source:

https://ent.sbs.co.kr/m/menulist.do?categoryCode=SS02&category2depthCode=

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

chataehyun-policeuniversity.gif

yoo-yeon-seok-south-korean-actor.gif

By Kim Da Sol

‘My Puppy’ offers smiles, laughter with ‘bromance’

20230131000635-0.jpg

A scene from “My Puppy” starring Cha Tae Hyun (left) and Yoo Yeon Seok (Kidari Studio)

Cha Tae Hyun and Yoo Yeon Seok promise to bring smiles and laughter to a not-so-easy journey from Seoul to Jeju with eight dogs in “My Puppy.”

Written and directed by Jason Kim, the filmmaker behind the 2017 award-winning action comedy “Midnight Runners,” “My Puppy” is based on his personal experience of separation from his 10-year-old dog.

The film revolves around the efforts of Min Soo (Yoo) and Jin Guk (Cha) to find a new family for Min Soo’s companion dog Rooney, after discovering that Min Soo’s fiance is allergic to dogs.

With a few notable lessons on friendship with dogs and bromance between cousins Min Soo and Jin Guk, “My Puppy” shows a chemistry which differs from that of his previous hit “Midnight Runners,” according to Kim.

“While ‘Midnight Runners’ was about teamwork between young boys ... ‘My Puppy’ talks about life, in a brighter tone,” Kim told reporters during a press conference held at Megabox Seongsu, Tuesday.

“I also wanted to shed light on the topic of the need to embrace abandoned dogs.”

According to Kim, casting eight dogs for the film was not easy, and the schedule for the shooting changed based on the dogs’ condition.

“There was a trailer house on set that had the air conditioner always turned on, to make sure that the dogs don’t get tired. Whenever they felt tired, they went inside and cooled down, because the shooting was in the middle of summer. We just wiped off the perspiration and waited under the scorching sun until the dogs felt better and were ready to shoot,” Cha joked.

Yoo Yeon Aeok, who lives with a rescued dog called Rita, said acting with dogs was a different experience.

“Because I have spent my life, from when I was young, with companion dogs, I could not ignore this project when I received the scenario. I could not turn down the offer because rejecting the offer would have felt as if I were rejecting the dogs,” Yoo told The Korea Herald.

“Because dogs do the natural acting, the way they look, they were adorable to work with and I always came to the set with high expectations.

There are some disadvantages of shooting with animals, but shooting for 'My Puppy' was really a therapeutic project for me,” Yoo said, adding that he also wants to try shooting with his own dog Rita if she gets used to being surrounded by many staff and camera lights.

“My Puppy” was chosen as the closing film of the 5th Seoul Animal Film Festival where it premiered in October last year.

The movie is slated for release March, 1.

Spoiler

20230131000636-0.jpg

20230131000637-0.jpg

Kidari Studio

https://www.koreaherald.com/topics/

• Insightful 2