Moonlight 月光变奏曲 [2021]

NiteWalker

I know we've talked about this drama quite a bit on discord, but I thought it's finally time I come here and write down my thoughts. I watched the first 14 episodes and feel like I'm this non-committed relationship with it. :laugh:

Chu Li is a lovely person who wants the best for everyone and is willing to do anything to help the authors she oversees. She's a hard worker but sometimes she dives into things without much thought. I attribute this to her being naïve and still green about the publishing world. She takes everything in in stride even the pettiness from Zhou Chuan. 

Zhou Chuan is petty and always moody. He purposely say and do things in front of Chu Li to make her think of him as a bad person, but would secretly help her. When he finds out that Chu Li's favorite author is his best friend, his jealousy is often shown and his pettiness is a bit elevated -- doing things like dressing up in a disguise to sneak around Chu Li and his best friend. 

Esther and Ding Yuxi are doing a wonderful job playing their characters. Chu Li and Esther are very alike and it almost feels like Esther is playing herself. In fact, she mentioned that in an interview at some point. The one thing people have commented on disliking is, Esther talking in her cutesy voice. I agreed that some times it was a bit overwhelming but I didn't mind it too much. I think it's because I've seen her in variety shows and she does it way more there. This is a bit tone down; however, I do understand that someone who is not used to Esther will probably find this part of her annoying. Ding Yuxi, on the other hand, is just hilarious in his role. 

The side characters -- I don't really care for. I have no interest in the second couple. To me, it's very evident that their storyline is a filler. Jiang Yu Cheng is Zhou Chuan's best friend and the author that Chu Li likes. He confessed his feelings to Chu Li (he wants to court her) but it's unclear if that's actually how he feels. He still does a lot of things for his ex-girlfriend (Gu Bai Zhi) and sometimes when he is around Chu Li and Zhou Chuan, he's trying to reveal to Chu Li that Zhou Chuan likes her. Jiang Yu Cheng is also adamant that Zhou Chuan tell Chu Li that he's Mr. Fox (Chu Li and Zhou Chuan are online friends prior to meeting. Chu Li doesn't know but Zhou Chuan does). It's strange to me that Jiang Yu Cheng started developing feelings for Chu Li after finding out that his best friend likes her. Is it that common for people to like the same person their best friend? :pandathink: 

The editor at Yuan Yue, his name is Miao something, is annoying. I cannot stand his mindset and he views people like objects. I know that he's probably going to be the reason Yuan Yue Publishing runs into issue in the future along with Mr. Liang from the circulation department. They are both disgusting human beings. :niu:

I think one of my biggest concern about all the characters so far is that aside from Zhou Chuan, everyone else seems to be very one dimensional and the characterization for all of them are just not as strong. I really hope that it gets better with later episodes. For now, I'll continue watching because Ding Yuxi is hilarious and Er Guo (the dog) is super adorable. 

• Like 2

Okay I finally watched the first ep and are bookstores or librarys a thing now? (But I love that and yes MCwML I am looking at you.) Lol when I see the word Chuan then it immediately reminds me of another Chuan :laugh: I love it that they are writing with each other but they don't know who the other person is :heart: It is good so far.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

@mayicoryn -- Hahaha!! That's very cute that he carried a cardboard cut out of her. I think all the leads were in attendance except for her. I remember seeing some photos. 

It seems like Jiang Yu Cheng finally decided that he is no longer going to court Chu Li because of his "xiong di". Why couldn't he come to this conclusion before?! It was just strange to see him talk so much about liking Chu Li when it was clear that he had feelings for the other girl too. :BulbaConfused:

Miao and that guy from the circulation department are probably be the downfall of Yuan Yue Publishing. They were so unprofessional at the book launch and it caused lots of Zhou Chuan's readers to be upset. I was actually surprised that he didn't suggest doing something for them, I really thought he would. As much as I like Chu Li, I don't think he should sign his new book to them especially if Miao and that guy are still part of Yuan Yue. I was also surprised that when Chu Li was standing up for Zhou Chuan and calling out how ridiculous it was for Miao and that guy to do that to Zhou Chuan's readers, etc. the chief editor (I forgot her name) just stood there! What?! :pandadisgusted:

• Haha 2

I am on ep 4 right now and I already hate 4 people. I was so proud of CL when she rejected to help XN. Help? You mean doingt the whole presentation for you? Well but at the end she did helped her. When you was praised you didn't said anything but when there was a problem you started to speak up? I am mad. And there is Mr. Miao. But nope I don't want to talk about him. The only thing I can say is that I can't stand him :mad: Okay let's talk about the main lead. I kinda like how childisch he is :laugh: And if I am not wrong he is the first one who likes the female lead first. It is so cute when he is smiling especially when he is writing with her. I don't know but I just like him :GrowDerp: The part with his father kinda breaks my heart. I would leave when I hear that my father is talking like that about me behind my back. I can't move on from MCwML when they have the same product placements like them :cry: 

• Like 2

I finished the drama today and I think the second half was definitely much better. There were character growth in all of them, even some of the side characters that I was not so keen on before too. 

I love the relationship between Jiang Yu Cheng and Zhou Chuan. They are hilarious together! I really enjoying seeing the friendly competition between both of them in the literacy world. They are brothers, friends, and competitors in everything -- they even competed to see who will propose first and also have the better proposal too! :laugh:

The reconciliation between Zhou Chuan and his father was nice to watch too. Despite having a strained relationship, Zhou Chuan's father did everything he can for Zhou Chuan -- he just wasn't good at expressing himself. The award show was really heartwarming to watch. His father has always been proud of him. :heart:

Overall, Moonlight was not a bad drama. I wished the first half of the drama was like the second half because I probably would have enjoyed it more. 

Posters released the last couple of days. =)

O8UHDyQ.jpg

pboHuXp.jpg

Spoiler

MfMHJpV.jpg

Both of them in the ending scene. 

yB0MQ8S.jpg

• Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

@SnT -- Did you finish Moonlight?! I saw your comment in the My Dear Guardian thread so I'm tagging you here. I think besides us, @Mouse is watching Moonlight and I'm not sure if @mayicoryn finished or dropped it. LOL!

3 hours ago, NiteWalker said:

I can definitely see Esther in ChuLi in this clip

There were a lot of times I saw Esther instead of Chu Li. Haha!

I have to share this video because it's so funny. Haha!!

• Haha 2
28 minutes ago, Tofu said:

and I'm not sure if @mayicoryn finished or dropped it. LOL!

I am still watching it :laugh: But the last few days I was more into reading C-Novels (Can You are my Glory pls just air now thank you :D The hype is real and there is of course The Day of Becoming You.) But give me some more time. I will definitely watch this until the end :smile:

Edited by mayicoryn
  • Like 2

I am still watching! I haven't quite finished it yet but close!

I think Ryan Ding is doing an excellent job with his character and I really love his relationship with Jiang Yu Cheng. I don't really care much about the side characters and really just focused on the leads and Zhou Chuan and Jang Yu Cheng. :lol:

• Haha 1

spacer.pngCurrently watching: Law Cafe, Love in Contract, Mr. Bad, Cheer Up!

I am on ep 21 now and well there are some things that triggers me a lot. I don't like there first kiss at all. She was drunk and kissed him. After that he kissed here while she is still drunk. Really? Why? At least he know that what he did was a bad thing. I just hate the: oh I was drunk that`s why I kissed you scenes. And when CL was on the blind date and I saw her changing her hairstyle and wearing glasses.... my mind went: okay pls don't tell me you wanted to look "ugly" for your date. Well but it was exactly that. And the oh right AX has curly hair too and looks cute with it didn't really rescued the whole situation. :mad:
I just wanted to rant a little bit but I am still enjoying it. But this type of things are a big minus for me.

• Clapping Hands 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Okay I finished it after 1000 years. This sounds weird but I don't know if I like it or not. I was confused bc. I didn't realized that they were living with each other for two years already.  What really impressed me was Ding Yu Xi's acting. It looks so natural when he is acting. I really liked his crying scenes. Both DYX and Yu Shu Xin did a great job at acting. And at some scenes I thought to myself: Lol I think Chu Li is Yu Shu Xin or is Yu Shu Xin Chu Li? I didn't read the original novel and I don't know how CLs personality is in the book but she did a great job. They were cute together and it looks so natural when they were a couple.

• Haha 1
16 minutes ago, Tofu said:

Yay you finally finished, @mayicoryn!!! Hahaha! 

I think both actors were pretty natural in their acting but like you said, it seemed like Esther was playing herself. :laugh:

Yas finally :D And that's true both of them were natural. It's my first drama with her so I don't know how she usally acts but she has a new drama with Vin Zhang and I will def. watch it. (But they just started filming so I have to wait)

Edited by mayicoryn