Strangers 2 / 비밀의 숲 시즌2 [2020]

UnniSara

4 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

@stroppyse I wonder if you can clarify something for me.

There was reference to Crime and Punishment made in Episode 8. I was a bit confused by the subs. 29:15 onwards. The subs seem to suggest that the pawnshop owner was a man. I wasn't sure because the pawnshop owner in C and P is a woman.

Hi. Are you sure you mean episode 8 at the 29:15 mark? The conversation doesn't mention a pawnshop owner at all. At that mark, SM and Captain Choi are talking about SM's meet with Lee Yeon Jae, that she had said that she had asked Seo Dong Jae to check on her father's condition. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
17 minutes ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

@stroppyse Ah... okay. I see what I did. I was looking at the wrong numbers. LOL. Sorry about that.

It's around 36:07.

It's because the translator probably didn't get the C&P reference correct. The pawnbroker who is killed in C&P was a woman. And, SM references that scene but because Koreans don't use pronouns, he only mentions how the student justifies it to himself that if he kills the weak, useless old person and uses the money, that he himself could go on to do great things. However, the lack of pronoun usage caused the translation to be made a "weak, selfish old man".

Hope that makes sense.

I have to admit that because I know that the pronouns can be fluid depending on the translator, I tend not to pay attention to those at all any more. Actually, I try very hard not to look at the subs at all because they can be confusing. Even the good translators will have their moments where they mis-translate and get the intent or the reference incorrect.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Clapping Hands 1
12 minutes ago, abs-oluteM said:

So I saw this on Twitter & I wonder how the change in translation will affect our understanding of what’s going on @stroppyse

Actually, I'm not sure I agree with either translation. From what I can see of the original message in hangul, it seems to be saying:

I was going to do the dishes

It's too late

So, that makes it even more cryptic.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 5
18 hours ago, stroppyse said:

Actually, I'm not sure I agree with either translation. From what I can see of the original message in hangul, it seems to be saying:

I was going to do the dishes

It's too late

So, that makes it even more cryptic.

Actually, I take this back. Finally able to see the words clearly in episode 9. The actual translation is:

The dishes I did

It was too late.

This is still cryptic for me in that it's written as two phrases when there is really no reason for it to be written that way.

So, it's not written as "The dishes I did were too late."  Rather, it is broken into 2 phrases. So, it still seems cryptic to me. But, anyway, just watching the episode now, and wanted to comment on this since it was still on my mind.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Insightful 1

Hi all~

I am a newbie in this thread!

How do you all feel with Ep9?! Still clueless like me?! LOL!

What I learned from S1, Secret Forest is a drama that trowing us question and questions from Ep 1 to Ep 14, finally give viewers a hint of the answer in Ep 15, and wrap up all the mystery only in Ep 16! And I fell it happen again in S2! :eeeee:

So far, the hunch that I get until Ep 9 are:

1) Tongyeong Drowning case, Park Gwang-su case, and Segok case are related to SDJ's kidnap. And solving SDJ case will also reveal all those cases.

2) All above case also related to both Prosecutor and Police (All of them are guilty or have dirty on those case)

3) Specifically for Choi-Bit, Woo Prosecutor and Hanjo Group involved in Park Gwang-su dead. At first, I already feel that Choi Bit is a dirty police but now I feel Woo Prosecutor is even more dirty than her.

4) SDJ's wife, SDJ's hoobae prosecutor are also very fishy --> at least they are hiding something on SDJ's case.

There are 2 scenes that are very suspicious for me:

- SDJ's wife reaction is very weird, her nail polish, she told her son that the news is not about SDJ;

vlcsnap-2020-09-13-12h07m52s411.png

- SDJ's hoobae surprised expression when SM mention about the possibility of SDJ having affair with other woman.

vlcsnap-2020-09-13-12h12m21s194.png

5) All people are suspicious for me including Chief Prosecutor at Seoul Western. But, for now I think one person is safe for the exception (at least not involving in SDJ & Park Gwang-su case):

vlcsnap-2020-09-13-12h16m52s957.png

Cannot wait for tonight episode!!

• Like 4
  • Insightful 2
  • Clapping Hands 1

hello @lifeisfullofdrama ...glad you're watching this!! 

@Keyta helllooooooo ...I saw your name on the online list. Triplem here. Miss you. Are you watching this or not? 

Spoiler

I am gonna open LJH thread here :smile: soon . Lol. I miss posting stuff for him!

The fate that LJH faces each time he disappears in a drama...will he come back alive or is this some twisted thing like in the Lies Within

Spoiler

• Like 4
  • Awesome 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

28 minutes ago, abs-oluteM said:

@Keyta helllooooooo ...I saw your name on the online list. Triplem here. Miss you. Are you watching this or not? 

@abs-oluteM yay)) glad to join this thread, just created this acc - probably gonna lurk around a lot)) thanks for welcoming me :heart:

Yeah, gonna binge ep9-10 today.

I am enjoying season 2's complex storyline and the different cases involved. But I felt terrible for SDJ. He was a ray of weasely opportunistic sunshine in this kingdom of fog and secrets. I hope he survive through this ordeal. 

By the way It was stated that DJ have two kids, but we only see the younger one (giving hair for DNA, watching police briefing on tv..). Where is the older one? Or am i missing something.. Could the older kid be involved somehow? The person who read the comments under the video seemed youngish.. To be clear I don't think that DJ was beaten by his own child, but the absence of his older kid is suspicious.

Anyway so far so good, most of the time i just trying to connect the dots but have a feeling that i'm missing some facts -

spacer.png

1 hour ago, abs-oluteM said:

I am gonna open LJH thread here :smile: soon . Lol. I miss posting stuff for him!

Uhuhu can't wait :love:

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Awesome 3

@Keyta this season with an extended cast plus so many cases / sub plots , I feel rather confused. I am not sure how they are all linked. 

Okay I just read this crazy spoiler online...:nervous:

Spoiler

it is now a body search for SDJ since it has pass 72 hours....he may have been abducted by some cop

This was the abduction scene

We probably can only see some flashback of SDJ

Spoiler

And something a bit more lighthearted

Preview for eps 11

• Like 3
  • Insightful 2

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

On 9/12/2020 at 6:51 AM, abs-oluteM said:

So I saw this on Twitter & I wonder how the change in translation will affect our understanding of what’s going on @stroppyse

Hi! It's nice to finally join here. Hmm.. I don't know what to say about the recent episodes tbh. I am still confused and my head hurts thinking of the possibilities, looking for answers. :yayaya:

Anyways, I don't know much about Hangeul and the message at the photo sent by the kidnapper, It doesn't really make sense to me. What if each syllables are jumbled? and it's not supposed to be read that way? Will that make sense? or nah..

Edited by abovewalls
  • Like 6

Nice to see you here @abovewalls . 
The drama doing well ! 

I am looking forward to reading everyone’s  post. I am actually quite confused with how it’s all connected. :lol:  . And really need some insights

• Like 7

5 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

I am looking forward to reading everyone’s  post. I am actually quite confused with how it’s all connected. :lol:  .

Same o same o))

Everyone seems to be guilty of something at the moment (well except our main duo). I'm tryna sort all this information out and failing miserably to be honest. So many details and suspiciously insignificant information (i'm still not over this moment - EhJ9RUCU0AgS0jh?format=jpg&name=small

- it must mean something? Right?))
For now it seems that this season was written with season 3 in mind, but i have faith in writer nim and her ability to tidy up all loose ends. 
Love that Shi Mok is finally starting his own investigation. I love that step by step our dynamic duo SM and YJ getting their groove back.
And I'm starting to think that Choi Bit and Woo Taeha (and their relationship) are the other side of the coin to SM and YJ. Cop and prosecutor duo with shared past working together, but with completely different goals in mind.
My only complaint - why did this episode (10) have to end with cliffhanger again. On the other hand what did i expect really?))

By the way i'm so in love with creativity of SF fandom - all the fanart, fanvid and all - 

Spoiler

:wow:

Edited by Keyta
  • Like 4
  • Heart Eyes 2

It's heartening to see the show pick up the pace now that it's behaving more like a police procedural than an almighty squabble between warring recalcitrant tribes. There's nothing like a juicy kidnapping case to get everyone holding hands even if they're not exactly singing from the same song sheet. I don't have a great deal to say about the most recent episodes because in a real enough there's hasn't been a lot of startlingly new information. We seem to be stuck in a pendulum swing between the ex-Segok cops and Park Gwang-su.  Like everyone else I hope that our favourite brown-noser lives to see daylight again. The show won't be the same without him plus he's a dad of school age kids. It's interesting how he is largely perceived as a bit of a nuisance but I don't doubt he opened a can of worms with the  reinvestigation of Park Gwang-su's death.

Another thing that struck me again is how meticulous Si-mok is, exploring things from every angle. Aside from the fact he thinks differently from other people (which is why he is a good detective) and not overly encumbered by emotions, he has learnt from the past to not come to definitive conclusions too soon. There he is sitting in his vehicle in peak hour traffic reflecting on whether or not he's trying too hard to find connections between Dong-jae's disappearance and Park Gwang-su's untimely death.

He's right to be suspicious though. There are a number of discrepancies that should be explored. Then there's also the matter of Woo Tae-ha and Choi Bit acting conspiratorially. It's not a nothingburger if experience political animals like them are on the edge. 

• Like 4
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 3

Currently Watching: Queen of Tears, In Blossom

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

Let me join your still-confused club @lifeisfullofdrama @Keyta @abovewalls @abs-oluteM :BulbaConfused: and hello to everyone whom I haven't met before! 

The last 2 episode pretty much created suspects out of everyone (ok, that's definitely an exaggeration). Even the father of the drowned teenager now looks like he might be the one who abducted SDJ (because yeo jin remembered his house floorboard which looks like the one on the photo). Or it could be the ex-chief (the uncle) or the ex-cop nephew, or his own wife colluding with someone? And let's not forget Lee Yeon-Jae's right hand man. 

I agree with @lifeisfullofdrama that prosecutor Kim Sa Hyun, although at first he was portrayed a bit shady, was most likely not involved in SDJ's kidnapping case (but who knows right?). 

I'm glad that the team leader of HYJ's old team Choi Yoon Soo got a bit of spotlight these two episodes which showed that he's a seasoned policeman and even when in s1 his character wasn't too likeable but here he's shown to have not wavered to hold on to justice (such in the case of revealing that the police might be one who was involved in SDJ's abduction). I thought in ep 7 and 8, I could detect his slight unhappiness or discomfort when finding out HYJ would be in charge of the cases, and hence putting him lower than her. But glad to see that it had not affected their relationship and professionalism in these last two episodes. 

Can't believe we only have 3 more weeks to go~

• Like 4
  • Heart Eyes 2
  • Clapping Hands 1

Currently watching: 1night2days s4; Arashi's Diary: Voyage; The Great Escape S4; The Soldiers

Welcome @SnowBlob  @lifeisfullofdrama @Keyta @abovewalls @abs-oluteM and everyone else who are watching Stranger2 . 

This season was a bit different from Season 1. I understand why the political war actually started .  Please correct me if I am wrong.  THis is my understanding so far. 

1. HanJo Group is working hard to rebuild the company from their previous glory. In order to do that . I think they created a Law firm or hire a law firm to handle or prevent legal problems for the company. I don't know if their dealings are legal or illegal.  I'm getting the vibe it is fishy but does it involve  Lee Yeon Jae. That is how Park Gwon Su's case is connected to Hanjo Group. 

2.  PGS is connected to Woo Tae-Ha and Choi Bit.  I am rather curious to know what happened that day when they received news about PGS's death.  We now know that WT and CB were on PGS's case and would love to know how the case was handled. We the viewers got a hint that they also dealt with HanJo group. 

3.  It seems CHoi Bit has history with Jeon Seong-Pyo (Dongducheon Assault Case - the man who abused his driver was reported for the abuse. Because of this case, it connects him to  Segok Suicide  &  Bribery case. I wonder if CB also had a hand in helping JSP with that case. We find out his nephew worked at Segok  Police Station and served less time in jail for his crimes. He was also one of the bullies on Sergeant Song Gi Hyeon's case. The rumor on SGH's case is that he was depressed and that is why he killed himself but sadly he died with all his abusers around him. It wasn't a secret that the officers who claimed to try to help him were bullying him. How could they have have at least try harder to find out the truth. 

4.  Ironically PGS and Oh Joon -Sun are in the same boat.  Working for Hanjo Group and not connected to Hanj Group. I recall she asked OJS to keep his job dealing a secret from his friends and family.  OJS was given the Tongyeong Drowning Case  which involved LLYJ's nephew. 

• Like 5
  • Insightful 2

Favorite Favorite Artist  Bae Doona, Moon Chae Won, Gong Hyo Jin, Cho Seung Woo, Jang Hyuk,, Jo In Sung,  Gong Yoo

Drama watching now: Plot Love,  Chimera ,The Psychologist, Always have,Always will , Show Windows: Queens House

Seo Dong-Jae kidnapping case is connected to Hanjo Group through the Park Gwon Su’s case. His subordinates didn’t do her job or gave special treatment. I recall Jung Min Ha  actually went and warned (Namyangju Police officer about the PGS’s case is being looked at. Both JMH and that police officer wonders if his kidnapping had anything to do with their case. SM wondered if SDJ had a mistress , JG  and BJY eyes moved guilty. But refused to answer the question.  Now the real question who kidnapped him and why????? I think the kidnapping is for the Segok Suicide Case. A family member is out for Justice since the turf war about all that Political Jargan they were discussing at the beginning of the drama. 
Season 1 was about Prosecutors and corruption, Now it is about Police Coruption and that they aren’t better than the prosecutors . 

What do you think

• Like 4
  • Insightful 2

Favorite Favorite Artist  Bae Doona, Moon Chae Won, Gong Hyo Jin, Cho Seung Woo, Jang Hyuk,, Jo In Sung,  Gong Yoo

Drama watching now: Plot Love,  Chimera ,The Psychologist, Always have,Always will , Show Windows: Queens House

On 9/14/2020 at 1:30 AM, Keyta said:

Love that Shi Mok is finally starting his own investigation. I love that step by step our dynamic duo SM and YJ getting their groove back.

My favorite parts! Love that SM and YJ are finally working together to figure out all the myriad clues and cases. It's hard to fathom how they are interconnected, or whether they are even interconnected by something more than possible corruption from the cops and the prosecutors. Neither of the groups are totally clean, and I think that's one of the points. That everyone ultimately needs a watcher to keep corruption at bay.

On 9/14/2020 at 1:30 AM, Keyta said:

And I'm starting to think that Choi Bit and Woo Taeha (and their relationship) are the other side of the coin to SM and YJ. Cop and prosecutor duo with shared past working together, but with completely different goals in mind.

Me, too! It's clear that they have some shared secrets, and that they had been a lot more familiar with each other than was apparent in the earlier episodes.

9 hours ago, SnowBlob said:

I'm glad that the team leader of HYJ's old team Choi Yoon Soo got a bit of spotlight these two episodes which showed that he's a seasoned policeman and even when in s1 his character wasn't too likeable but here he's shown to have not wavered to hold on to justice (such in the case of revealing that the police might be one who was involved in SDJ's abduction). I thought in ep 7 and 8, I could detect his slight unhappiness or discomfort when finding out HYJ would be in charge of the cases, and hence putting him lower than her. But glad to see that it had not affected their relationship and professionalism in these last two episodes. 

I've been happy with the way this veteran cop has been presented. He's definitely flawed with some prejudices, but he's not crooked, and he does want to see justice prevail more than he wants to protect his ego or his power.

@UnniSara, some nice linking of cases and speculation regarding SDJ's kidnapping. I don't have a guess as to what is happening right now, but this drama definitely gives a lot to mull over.

Hanjo seems to be in the midst of all of the action, though the actual ties aren't as clear. Can't believe there are only 3 weeks left, but after the lengthy build-up including the cases which may or may not be interconnected, it's good that the pace is picking up and it feels as if it's a rollercoaster until the end.

I hope SDJ is still alive.

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 3

Was trying to look for stills online but tvn has not been very proactive in promoting this one compared to FOE and ROY.

Anyway 5th OST has been released

BTS from eps 11

Spoiler

Do you think Seo Dong Jae will come back alive ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I'm inclined to think that Dong-jae is still alive. Not just because I'm missing our favourite brownnoser but because If this is just an unknown figure trying to force the hand of the cops and the prosecutors, hiding his body seems unnecessary. DJ could have been killed and his body dumped somewhere to be found. That would be enough to create a media circus... if indeed that is the motive. It could entirely be an opportunistic moment to highlight a grievance. I say this because the cases  in question  seem to be internal ones. 

It was a relief (after all the did they-didn't they) that we finally received confirmation that Sgt Song committed suicide. Sadly everyone had to be backed into a corner before they would produce the clincher -- the suicide note. It's understandable why it wasn't produced earlier. The note revealed the reasons why the late Sgt Song took his own life. It revealed a dysfunctional work environment, corruption within the rank and file. It was an embarrassment. The one who hung on to the suicide note felt real guilt and his volunteer work was his bid for redemption. 

Woo Tae-ha rejoiced rather too quickly. One wonders now if he's not in bed with one of the big players related to Hanjo. The premature jubilation was a bit unseemly especially when Dong-jae is still nowhere to be found.

For some reason Dong-jae's missus seems to be acting more like the distraught wife in this last episode. Did she not believe that he was really missing early on? There were aspersions cast against him that this was some kind of publicity stunt. Some of the Yongsan coppers suggested that he might saunter back in unscathed. As Mrs Seo was pleading with Sgt Baek, she seemed prepared for the possibility of death. The other question that's come up is whether he had a fling with his hoobae, Jung Min-ha. Did the wife suspect that he was conducting extramarital activities?

The so-called witness feels thoroughly dodgy, mixing truth with lies. Wonder what his agenda is... has he got it in for Sgt Baek and is taking the opportunity to make the man suffer?

Edited by 40somethingahjumma
  • Like 4
  • Insightful 2

Currently Watching: Queen of Tears, In Blossom

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

hello! hello! Shame it took me 12 episodes before I understand what was going on. :mad: 

I don't know, I kind of miss s1 because I enjoyed it compared to this season, there so much going on that It took me this late to finally grasp the whole situation. Anyways, anyone notice how fishy these two? 

they shared a lot of info, secretly meet up when in fact they are in opposition in terms of their respective works. I mean, what are you guys up to? They seem involve about those cases that are reopened for reinvestigation as it is connected to SDJ case?

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1