Missing: The Other Side/ 미씽: 그들이 있었다 [Season 1 - 2020 , Season 2 - 2022/2023]

ktcjdrama

photo1215728.jpg

Broadcast station: OCN

Season 1: August 29-October 11, 2020 / Saturday-Sunday / 22:30 (KST)

About the Show:  The story tells of people who are living in a mysterious village. A scammer for noble purposes, Kim Wook (Go Soo) stumbles into the village while being chased by a gang he offended. In the village, he gets to know some of the villagers and goes on investigative mission to uncover the mysteries surrounding these people. 

Genre: Fantasy, Mystery, Crime

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Broadcast station: tvN

Season 2 Premiere: December 19 2022 / Monday / 20:50 (KST)

• Like 2
  • Star Struck 1
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

BASIC INFORMATION

Production: Studio Dragon

Episodes: 12

Director: Min Yeon-hong
Screenwriters: Ban Gi-ri, Jeong So-young

Official Website: http://program.tving.com/ocn/missing

CAST OF CHARACTERS

Main Cast

Go Soo >> Kim Wook

Heo Joon-ho >> Jang Pan-seok

Ahn So-hee >> Lee Jong-ah

Song Geon-hee >> Thomas Cha

Seo Eun-soo >> Choi Yeo-na

Ha Jun >> Shin Joon-ho

Supporting Cast

Kang Mal-geum >> Kim Hyeon-mi

Lee Joo-won >> Park Yeong-ho

Lee Joo-myung >> Jang-mi

Moon Yoo-kang >> Kim Nam-gook

Ji Dae-han >> Baek Il-doo

Ahn Dong-yeop >> Park Beom-soo

Lee Ki-chan >> Park Byeong-eun

Kim Jung-eun >> Jo Myeong-soon

OFFICIAL TRAILER

Edited by ktcjdrama
  • Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 1
  • Party! 1

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

BTS (turn on caption for English subtitle)

Episode Ratings (Nationwide)

Episode 1 - 1.700%

Episode 2 - 2.510%

Episode 3 - 3.003%

Episode 4 - 3.490%

Episode 5 - 3.290%

Episode 6 - 3.757%

Episode 7 - 2.992%

Episode 8 - 3.847%

Episode 9 - 3.153%

Episode 10 - 3.525%

Episode 11 - 3.403%

Episode 12 - 4.811%

Edited by ktcjdrama
  • Like 4

MTDzeiV.gif

@ktcjdrama thanks for opening this and introduce the drama to me. It have interesting premise and stellar acting by all the casts. Felt like I was in another fantasy dream world watching this drama. 

Thomas Cha character is very dreamy, I normally prefer guy with black hair, but the actor really can sporting light brown hair colour so well. He looked like fairy. I'm also interested to find out more about his background. 

I'm still behind with last week episode, will catch up later in weekend. 

Missing-The-Other-Side-stills-1-1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Heart Eyes 2

ezgif-com-gif-maker-47.gif

7 minutes ago, joccu__ said:

who is the grandchild?

I love the mystery but I feel really sad for detective shin. 

everything is connected! 

I am guessing it’s Wookie. Although the mother seems to really love and miss him, I still think she is just his adoptive mother. Otherwise she wouldn’t bring him to the other lady’s home so often also, and let him spend so much time with her. Must be some kind of a secret deal the two ladies made. 

Yes, I feel sad for Shin as well. Cannot imagine the scene when he found out for sure about his fiancé state. He will be so devastated. I quite like his character actually. 

Edited by ktcjdrama
  • Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 1

MTDzeiV.gif

• 2 weeks later...

This drama wrapped up with more than satisfactory ending. So much so that I am sad it has come to an end. Everything is accounted for and there really isn’t any loopholes that I could think of. The plot was well thought off and the development was well paced. There is also good balance of mystery, comedy, action, and heartfelt moments. Nothing is overdone. 

Each episodes always managed to wring out some tears from me. The finale not excepted. Especially when Jang realized his daughter has been found. Also when Shin found YN’s body. Those two scenes were the highlights for me. They’re both very well done. ~spoilers ahead~

Spoiler

For Jang, when he fell onto the ground crying, it’s both the pain of losing his daughter and losing his friends. 

Since we already have one tearful scene when our young couple were saying their last goodbyes, I appreciate the production team not trying to jerk liters of tears from us when Shin was witnessing YN’s body being carried on shore by muting his wailing with just the OST playing. Tears still come flowing, though 😅 Just milder. 

For those who have not watched the drama, and like this genre, do give it a try. It gets a 10/10 from me 😉

Edited by ktcjdrama
  • Like 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

MTDzeiV.gif

@ktcjdrama Well said. This is such a departure from the usual OCN dramas, perfectly balanced with rawness and sunshine, every episode unfailingly bringing me to tears yet not in perpetual despair through its well-timed, perfectly executed light-hearted moments. I wanted so much to love this drama when I first heard of it - was drawn to it initially because of HJH and the unusual premise, and I am so glad that this drama never faltered but delivered consistently all the way to the end in all aspects. Performances are strong across the board, though I would not be lying if I said JPS is the character I look forward to, whose emotional journey resonates with me the most. As such, his closure was devastating to watch, realising that what I hoped against hope, did not materialise after all. Still, kudos to writer-nim for staying true to the rules that were set for this universe, resisting the temptation to provide an unrealistic 11th hour reprieve. Well done. With all that said, can we have a 2nd season please?

• Heart Eyes 2
  • Clapping Hands 1

Signal, Thank You, Missing:The Other Side, Children of Nobody, Misaeng, Tree with Deep Roots, Story of a Man

步步惊心, 长相思, 琅琊榜之风起长林, 平凡的荣耀, 大鱼海棠, 九州缥缈录, 风声, 剑雨

Ice Kacang Puppy Love, Garden of Evening Mists

Mother, 空から降る一億の星, Ouroboros

8 hours ago, liddi said:

can we have a 2nd season please?

Please, please, please... 

I had given up hope because of the reveal why our leads could be with those missing people in the village, but then that ending scene of the kids playing provided a glimpse of hope for a second season? I dare say the premise can be for multiple seasons, haha... 

Another thing I forgot to mention is how a couple whom we hardly see sharing a screen together, mostly only through photographs, can make me feel so much for them. I believe most of my tears watching this drama were shed for them. 

This drama is also a departure from the usual kdrama tropes. There is enough tease from the writers that many people, me included, guessed that...

Spoiler

- Wookie is the grandchild, probably because he is the main lead, but he isn’t. 

- JA is most probably Jang’s missing daughter, but she isn’t.

There is also one question that a lot of viewers wondered about, and it was asked by our police officer as well in the finale ~ ie. why not just take sample for the DNA test? why immediately kill those surviving orphans before confirmation? Viewers are not left wondering. Even why Thomas Cha has blonde hair is explained 😆 @SilverMoonTea 

Edited by ktcjdrama
  • Insightful 1
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

MTDzeiV.gif

@ktcjdrama Yes to multiple seasons for sure, though it saddens me that we probably would not see the original Duon inhabitants again. I had entertained the thought that it might be better if Wook's mother was never found, so that he could always be with her, but the fact remains that one day, he too will die, and she might end up indefinitely in Duon like Thomas had gone through, which would be all the more cruel. Still, Jang Mi's reluctance to leave this slice of paradise is also a reflection of how I feel... so reluctant to see the Duon inhabitants separated one by one, although it was pretty much inevitable, and merely a matter of time.

There is so much to love about this drama - narrative, soundtrack, performances - and the cast nailed their roles perfectly. Each of the main characters has broken my heart at least once, and their reactions, fears, hopes really echo within me too. That moment Wook's mother, thinking his absence meant he had dissipated, then realising he was alive - her fervent "Thank you" had me in tears as well. SJH and YN's arc is poignant... always one sided, him unable to see or hear her, while her frantic efforts to contact him are for naught until she learns the futility of her actions... and it is only through Wook that she could finally pass her final words to him. And JPS... where do I even start? His lonely journey devastates me the most, and HJH absolutely owns this role and every nuance of JPS' grief and hollow wait. 

It is not to say the narrative is perfect, because it isn't. Some of the decisions made and words said/unsaid feel forced, but ultimately, it did not take away from my love for the drama because the characters have carved an irreplaceable place in my heart. I love that open ending and its possibilities

Spoiler

with the portal to a different village, especially the fact that our intrepid duo could still see and talk to the girl. And not forgetting that JPS finds her familiar... why

which makes the parting so much more bearable for now, having dangled hope that we might be reunited with them once more. It is great to see that the detectives, especially Detective Baek are not dumbed down for the sake of allowing the leads to shine. How awesome that he is just as shrewd and knows JPS has secrets he is hiding, yet trusting the older man and having such compassion for the bereaved father who has been searching for all too long. I love too that the drama anticipates questions that we would have as viewers, and answers most of them - including the colour of Thomas' hair! The one question that remains unanswered is why Hwang Do Chul could see the village? Does he too have someone missing whom he is unable to let go of? Yet for all intents and purposes, he is very much enjoying his life as a crook with no apparent need to seek out anyone, apart from those he could con. Questions questions.

Needless to say, I miss this universe... and will be revisiting it again in the near future. Until then, the evocative, aching soundtrack particularly Monday Kiz's Are You Listening to My Voice will be on my playlist on repeat. Will they release the instrumental soundtrack too? I hope so... 

Edited by liddi
  • Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

Signal, Thank You, Missing:The Other Side, Children of Nobody, Misaeng, Tree with Deep Roots, Story of a Man

I couldn’t agree more with everything you said above.

55 minutes ago, liddi said:

Jang Mi's reluctance to leave this slice of paradise is also a reflection of how I feel... so reluctant to see the Duon inhabitants separated one by one, although it was pretty much inevitable, and merely a matter of time.

It’s great to see each of them leaving with a smile on their face though. That part really comforted Shin as well. 

55 minutes ago, liddi said:

Detective Baek are not dumbed down for the sake of allowing the leads to shine. How awesome that he is just as shrewd and knows JPS has secrets he is hiding, yet trusting the older man and having such compassion for the bereaved father who has been searching for all too long.

Yes, and wise enough to just leave it at that and not probe further. Love his dedication all these years in helping the old man. A true friend. 

Edited by ktcjdrama
  • Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

MTDzeiV.gif

@ktcjdrama @liddi reading what you both said here , I actually promoted the drama on my twitter . 
You guys should write a review for the k drama review section. I believe this is one of those very underrated drama that most people overlooked especially because it was competing with Secret Forest 2

• Heart Eyes 2

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  -  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - 

@ktcjdrama @liddi @joccu__ @SilverMoonTea Maybe there's a chance for S2 as Knets want it too

Translations from https://netizenkore.blogspot.com/2020/10/naver-tv-missing-other-side-final.html

Kang Malgeum saying her last farewell to Go Soo and leaving Duon village, "I love you, son" 

Screenshot%2B2020-10-12%2Bat%2B8.44.17%2

1. [+34][-0] Wook-ie was her real son ㅠㅠㅜ I thought she was his motherly figure who had helped raise him.. It's so sadㅠㅠㅠ But it's a beautiful momentㅠㅠ

2. [+25][-0] I'm so relieved that he could say his farewell with his mother.. Whenever Go Soo does a crying scene, it's interesting to see how there are always teardrops around his big round eyes.. That makes it even sadder.. 

3. [+20][-0] So that's why the people who needed this were brought here and shown these things.. ㅜㅜ

4. [+15][-0] I cried throughout this episode ㅜㅠ

5. [+13][-0] Cry~~~~~ㅠㅠ Too sad

*Shocking* Heo Joonho who can no longer see Duon village after finding his daughter, Hyeonji's corpse, "I can't see anything" 

Screenshot%2B2020-10-12%2Bat%2B8.52.12%2

1. [+51][-0] I was surprised because I thought Hyeonji was alive.. so my eyes were widened while watchingㅜㅜ He can't see the village.. goosebumps.. 

2. [+40][-0] Jang-ssi ahjussi ㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠ Even though she isn't alive, I'm relieved that you at least found her body ㅠㅠㅠ I hope you can live in peace now ㅠㅠ

3. [+37][-0] ㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠ Farewells and meetings came way too abruptly. You did well Panseok

4. [+34][-1] Jang-ssi ahjussi's acting is insane. I cried too much and used too much tissue for blowing my nose. Everyone did really well ~~~~

5. [+29][-0] Places like Duon village exists elsewhere too.. 

The real grandson's identity is revealed by Han Chairman's daughter's necklace! #HaJun

Screenshot%2B2020-10-12%2Bat%2B8.49.40%2

1. [+30][-0] I hope there'll a second season of Missing 

2. [+18][-0] Huh...? The policeman was the grandson....... Everytime they talked about grandson, it was always brought up when Wook-ie was there so I thought maybe? and he's the grandson.. 

3. [+13][-0] Of course!!! Ever since the Vice President's mum was taking care of him, I thought I knew something~^^

4. [+6][-0] Of course! I thought the detective was the grandson! 

5. [+2][-0] How happy must the chairman be from finally finding his grandson~ Shin detective might be a little confused though 

• Like 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Heart Eyes 2

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  -  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - 

• 3 weeks later...

The instrumental soundtrack is out! Just listening to certain pieces, especially Flower Rain makes my heart ache all over again... truly miss this universe and its characters...

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 1

Late to the party to be sure but honestly, it's better late than never. What a gem! That's why I always say, OCN consistently makes the best police procedurals in the industry. When I look at this show and Train, I just wish that Alice had found its home in OCN. The broadcaster would have done all the good ideas there justice. Across the board I'm finding the 12 episode format a resounding success. 

In a lot of ways this show reminds me of Chocolate (and to some degree Mystic Pop-up Bar) in its exploration of grievance and the acceptance of death as a reality of life.  There's a place for hope and there is a time to let go. Death brings its own lessons to the living. Coming from the waste of potential that was Alice, what I really appreciate about this is how it holds it together from start to finish. Although there might be the temptation to break its own rules, it doesn't quite succumb because the messaging works in concert with the message all throughout.

The highlight of this production is the storytelling. The magic comes from the way the individual stories of the characters are woven right through the big arc. Of course there's a host of wonderful characters that make it all happen. Our protagonist... who is something of an antihero is part-time grifter part-time Robin Hood. He's one of the chosen ones and his initiation isn't pretty. But even as we come to understand why he might be "chosen", it's not entirely clear why others haven't been. It begs the question but the answer might be more supernatural and philosophical than some might be comfortable with.

At the end of the day, the juggling act is what makes this special. In that way I am reminded of Life on Mars. The skilful mixing of genres with a steady eye on the humanity of the personalities that give this a whole spectrum of colours.

It's a terrific watch and I highly recommend it. 

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

Currently Watching: Queen of Tears, In Blossom

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

• 5 months later...

2nd season is in the works! Please reunite the same cast and crew!

“Missing: The Other Side” Confirms Season 2 Is In The Works

“Missing: The Other Side” Confirms Season 2 Is In The Works

Apr 16, 2021
by E. Cha

A second season of OCN’s “Missing: The Other Side” is officially in the works!

On April 15, the producers of the hit 2020 drama confirmed, “It’s true that we are in the midst of preparations for Season 2 of ‘Missing: The Other Side.’ However, the direction of the story and the casting has not yet been decided. The production is also not yet set in stone.”

Although the producers warned that they are merely in the planning stages for a potential second season, the chief producer (CP) of “Missing: The Other Side” previously revealed last year that they were already in talks to return for another season when Season 1 wrapped up in October 2020.

“Missing: The Other Side” is a mystery-fantasy drama about a village inhabited by the souls of people who went missing while they were alive. The first season starred Go Soo as Kim Wook, a talented con artist who could talk his way out of anything, and Ahn So Hee as Lee Jong Ah, a brilliant civil servant leading a double life as a hacker.

Are you hoping for a second season of “Missing: The Other Side”?

cr. Soompi

• Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 2

• 2 months later...

I bookmarked this for awhile and finally found some time to watch this. I have completed two episodes so far  and I am hooked. I did not read up too much about the drama or even watched any trailers  which turned out to be a good thing for me since I was very surprised with what I thought would be the genre of the show. I was under the impression that it was fantasy crime or perhaps some form of horror ( lol, blame the synopsis) but it turned up to be more than that. By the end of episode two , I was already in tears when they finally found the little boy's body. The main characters ( Kim Wook and Jang Pan Seok) seem chosen to be the ones to figure out the missing bodies of these wondering spirits so that they can peacefully depart for the after life. I am somewhat reminded of Daebak Real Estate minus the exorcism.

At this point I have no idea why Kim Wook and Jang Pan Seok are the only ones that can see those who are dead and the village where the souls are awaiting to move on to the afterlife. I am wondering if it is because of near death experiences  since I am guessing that Wook would have died ( either during the 1st accident or when he was pushed off the cliff) ...but somehow he came back to life.  I like the relationship dynamics between Wook and Jang. Jang's been doing this for years - helping lost souls find their bodies, is Wook sent to help him or take over? Did Jang have the same sort of near death experience as Wook. ( First time I am seeing Heo Jun Ho in a good guy role. Also just realised I have seen Ko Soo in Love 911 with Han Hyo Joo) .

The other character that also caught my attention was the detective. He is clearly cynical , initially at least. I would be too. But I think the end of eps 2 made him realise that Wook may not actually be crazy or lying. And now that we discover that his fiancee is also dead, I think he will come to believe Wook. 

• Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

25 minutes ago, abs-oluteM said:

At this point I have no idea why Kim Wook and Jang Pan Seok are the only ones that can see those who are dead and the village where the souls are awaiting to move on to the afterlife.

It will be explained later on... 

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

MTDzeiV.gif

@abs-oluteM So glad you've finally decided to watch! Ep2 killed me too, and is the start of many tears that I would shed during the course of this drama. Can't wait to relive this drama again through your thoughts!

• Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 2

On 6/22/2021 at 9:39 AM, liddi said:

@abs-oluteM So glad you've finally decided to watch! Ep2 killed me too, and is the start of many tears that I would shed during the course of this drama. Can't wait to relive this drama again through your thoughts!

Hi @liddi . I am  enjoying this one though my pace isn't very fast since I have several other ongoing dramas.   

@ktcjdrama I finally saw cutie Cha Dol. He looks so young , this was only shot last year - how quickly he has grown.

----------------------------

Eps 3 & 4 - I think I understand the world building here a bit more. Souls who get sent here cannot leave the place and neither can they move on to the afterlife since their bodies are missing. So no one else except Kim Wook and Jang PS can see them. The latter two are the only ones who can freely enter & exit , and can see the rest. The "dead" villagers , while they can't die again, do feel pain when being stabbed or hurt. While I shouldn't be surprised that these lost souls can be a good or bad people, I was still somewhat taken aback that "crime" can take place in the village. KW and Jang are the only ones who cannot be hurt / injured while in this village.

So we start to see the connection between Detective's fiancee Yeo Na and Wook's friend as well as a dead reporter , where all 3 were from the same orphanage. So who are these people who are after them ? Why kill all 3 of them? From whatever I understand, some chaebol family is looking for the real heirs and I am assuming there are jealous relatives who are worried that these orphans could be the actual heirs. 

Detective's mum is rather strange to me - she was formerly a director of an orphanage. But I was surprised she was so against Yeo Na marrying her son , seemingly because Yeo Na was an orphan. Perhaps there is more to this. We'll see.

Although Kim Wook has made the connection between Yeo Na & Detective, he has not been able to bring himself to tell either one the truth. I thought it strange but then again, he probably realises that he has no proof to tell the Detective that Yeo Na is dead. Plus Yeo Na still does not seem to be able to accept her fate. 

In these episodes , also got to see a bit of Jang PS's back story . Poor guy has been looking for his daughter for so long. But seeing that her soul is not at the village, there should be a high chance that she is still alive. 

• Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 2

59 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

Reading this thread, I'm tempted to watch this drama. Except, I wonder if I'll cry too much? I'm really tired of crying.

It really is a drama that is worth watching. Yes there will be some tears, but it won’t be too much. And even after crying, I felt good, not that tiring kind of crying. It has a good balance of everything to find in a drama. I hope you will give it a try! 

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 1

MTDzeiV.gif

• 11 months later...

https://mydramalist.com/article/lee-jung-eun-and-kim-dong-hwi-will-reportedly-be-added-to-the-cast-of-missing-the-other-side-2

@liddi @40somethingahjumma @abs-oluteM @stroppyse

I was not aware the second season is in planning already!! Woohooooo!! Our main cast will be back, and will be by same writers and director. 

Edited by ktcjdrama
  • Party! 3

MTDzeiV.gif