Missing: The Other Side/ 미씽: 그들이 있었다 [Season 1 - 2020 , Season 2 - 2022/2023]

ktcjdrama

Looks like a shift in focus for S2... can't wait!

Heo Joon Ho Talks About Reprising His Role In “Missing: The Other Side 2” And What To Look Forward To In New Season

Heo Joon Ho Talks About Reprising His Role In “Missing: The Other Side 2” And What To Look Forward To In New Season

Dec 4, 2022
by AliG

Heo Joon Ho took some time to share his thoughts on returning for another season of “Missing: The Other Side“!

“Missing: The Other Side” is a mystery fantasy drama about villages inhabited by the souls of people who went missing while they were alive. After two years, the series is returning for a second season, with Go Soo, Heo Joon Ho, Ahn So Hee, and more reprising their roles.

Heo Joon Ho is coming back as Jang Pan Seok, a man who can see souls and who continues to miss his own daughter. He expressed his happiness at being able to return for another season, saying that such a continuation feels “like a miracle.”

“I felt that it would be a shame for the subject matter being dealt with in ‘Missing: The Other Side’ to end with Season 1, so I was hoping that there would be a Season 2,” he said. “So when they asked me if I was interested in doing a Season 2, I immediately said I would do it.”

heo-joon-ho-1-1.jpegheo-joon-ho-2-1.jpeg

Jang Pan Seok is one half of the “soul searching duo” in the drama, his partner in crime being Kim Wook (Go Soo). Heo Joon Ho confirmed that the duo’s chemistry is “very good” in Season 2 as well, and he mentioned how great it was to meet someone like Go Soo during filming for the first season.

He also complimented his co-star Ahn So Hee by saying, “Ahn So Hee is very innocent and beautiful, and she’s one of my juniors whose growth I can’t wait to see. She’s grown a lot since Season 1 and looks even cooler now.”

Heo Joon Ho went on to talk about his other co-star Ha Jun, describing him as someone who always asks how others are doing on a personal level and shows concern for their well-being. “He’s already very cool and admirable right now, but I believe he will become an even more reliable and sturdy actor as time goes on.”

heo-joon-ho-3.jpeg

As for what viewers can look forward to most in the new season, Heo Joon Ho chose Lee Jung Eun and Kim Dong Hwi, who will be appearing as brand-new characters. He called Lee Jung Eun “the pillar of Season 2,” saying he felt honored to be working with such a respected and talented actress. He also talked up actor Kim Dong Hwi and his many achievements, including his win at the Blue Dragon Film Awards, describing him as being on the level of a “master actor.”

heo-joon-ho-4.jpeg

In terms of the new season’s storyline, Heo Joon Ho commented, “The traces and presence of Jang Pan Seok’s daughter are highlighted more in Season 2. Compared to Season 1, there are many more things to see in Season 2, which is what I’m most looking forward to.”

He went on to add, “Since ‘Missing: The Other Side’ deals with the stories of the deceased and the missing, there are many sad scenes, but Season 2 also deals with things like hope, love, and happiness, so I’m curious as to how viewers will react.”

Finally, Heo Joon Ho asked viewers to look forward to Season 2, which he said “will soothe your empty heart” when it abegins airing on December 19.

cr. Soompi

• Like 2
  • Party! 1

Signal, Thank You, Missing:The Other Side, Children of Nobody, Misaeng, Tree with Deep Roots, Story of a Man

步步惊心, 长相思, 琅琊榜之风起长林, 平凡的荣耀, 大鱼海棠, 九州缥缈录, 风声, 剑雨

Ice Kacang Puppy Love, Garden of Evening Mists

Mother, 空から降る一億の星, Ouroboros

Go Soo, Heo Joon Ho, Ahn So Hee, And More Blur The Line Between Life And Death In New “Missing: The Other Side 2” Posters

Go Soo, Heo Joon Ho, Ahn So Hee, And More Blur The Line Between Life And Death In New “Missing: The Other Side 2” Posters

Dec 9, 2022
by AliG

tvN has released new teaser posters for the highly-anticipated second season of “Missing: The Other Side”!

“Missing: The Other Side” is a mystery fantasy drama about villages inhabited by the souls of people who went missing while they were alive. After two years, the series is returning for a second season with Go Soo, Heo Joon Ho, Ahn So Hee, and more reprising their roles.

The newest posters feature not only the “soul searching duo” Kim Wook (Go Soo) and Jang Pan Seok (Heo Joon Ho), but also Lee Jong Ah (Ahn So Hee), Shin Joon Ho (Ha Joon), and two residents of the new spirit village: Kang Eun Shil (Lee Jung Eun) and Oh Il Yong (Kim Dong Hwi). Life and death appear to coexist in one space, but it seems that the living cannot fully feel the presence of the dead and vice versa. The teaser posters get creative by selectively focusing on one group or the other, leaving the remaining characters as indistinguishable blurry shapes.

One poster asks, “Do you have someone who is forever engraved in your heart?” while the other inspires heartache by reading, “No matter where you are, until we meet again.” How exactly the line between life and death will be crossed is something viewers can look forward to in “Missing: The Other Side 2.”

missing-the-other-side-2.jpegmissing-the-other-side-2-.jpeg

“Missing: The Other Side 2” will premiere on December 19 at 8:50 p.m. KST. Check out a teaser for the new season here!

cr. Soompi

• Like 3

Signal, Thank You, Missing:The Other Side, Children of Nobody, Misaeng, Tree with Deep Roots, Story of a Man

• 2 weeks later...

@Chocolate Please give it a try! It is predominantly a mystery, but so much more. Am not sure how much of the reviews you read... but will try not to spoil for you the reason for the village's existence and the dynamics that play out for its inhabitants. It is not a perfect drama, but suffice to say that the various meanings behind the title is one that has broken my heart consistently throughout the first season. Fingers crossed that S2 will be just as amazing. Can't believe it airs tonight!

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Party! 3

On 12/18/2022 at 6:54 AM, Chocolate said:

I see great reviews of S1. Is this a mystery/thriller? The trailer for S2 looks quite slow, about life in the village.

I loved season 1 and also recommend giving it a try. Follow-up season 2s are always difficult to compare to season 1s, but I am hopeful for this one. I will eventually tune into it.

13 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

Go Soo looks quite nice with his long hair. Haha

Go Soo is so handsome. :wow: I am not a big fan of long hair on men, but it looks good on him. 

Edited by peperomia
  • Like 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Heart Eyes 2

After several false starts (parked myself at Viu last night but realised belatedly that the international stream only starts today :shocked2:; then when I tried to watch today, I realised my Premium membership just expired and had to be renewed in order to watch :nervous:)... at last, I'm back to the universe that I have missed for over 2 years.

Thomas' cameo in the beginning is such a bonus and an inspired move with a two-edged purpose - to relive the nostalgia of the first season for those who knew and loved the residents of Duon village; as well as to briefly introduce KW and JPS' special abilities and what they had done to newcomers. It is quite bittersweet seeing him again even if just in a flashback from a year ago, knowing that unless something happens, it is pretty much an impossibility for him to still be around in the present.

The chuckles are frequent - KW's obstacle-riddled chase of the scammer in the subway station to Six Million Dollar Man sound effects; the familiar bickering and comedic rapport between our dynamic duo, be it shuffling away when reminded of their outstanding rent, to the disagreement over the direction of Duon, bringing us right back to the last episode of S1. Still, ominous overtones persist - kidnapping, murders, a grieving mother's 20-year wait to find her missing daughter, a new otherworldly presence whose motivation remains unclear, culminating in their arrival to another village just like Duon, this time through an abandoned factory.

What little we have seen so far appears to have thrown some rules of the universe we knew (or thought we did) from S1 out the window. We were told repeatedly that it is impossible for the souls in Duon village to cross the barrier to the world of the living - from KW's inability to bring little Ha-neul out of the village, to CYN's multiple failed attempts to contact her fiancé. Yet here, we have OIY who travels in and out of the village with ease - interacting with those in the land of the living. Still, we did see KW and JPS talking with a little girl outside the barriers of yet another village in the finale of S1. What does this mean? How could those children and now OIY go past the barrier, when the Duon residents couldn't? I am toying with the idea that unlike the village residents, OIY's body is perhaps not missing but he is instead a spirit still bound on earth with unresolved issues, which is why he could travel freely between the land of the living and the dead. After all, OIY did tell KW to confirm that he died 3 years ago. How else would KW be able to confirm it unless the authorities have concrete proof of his death. But that does not explain why the children could as well...

Another question I have is the identity of the person Thomas was reminiscing with. He should have been the very last to leave Duon so who could the other person have been? Is it OIY? If so, does that then mean OIY can actually travel to multiple villages? Or am I just overthinking it? And it's just Ep1. Help!

While I am thrilled to finally be back, personally, this episode feels a little lacklustre compared to Ep1 of the first season. I take issue with its pacing that feels slightly dragged out and not as tightly woven. In addition, the characters we have been introduced to thus far are not as emotionally resonant for me, thus keeping me detached. Perhaps it is due to the fact that I held such high hopes for it after loving S1 so much, so I am judging it more harshly than it deserves. Regardless, it is early days yet, and I continue to be hopeful that such teething problems will be ironed out quickly, and I will be won over once again by the narrative.

Ep2 please.

Edited by liddi
  • Like 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

And they did it. Ep2 delivers everything I loved about S1 and more... keeping me invested and in tears for the better part of the hour, reminding me over and over why I could not move on when the 1st season ended. I mourned anew with JPS as he finds a world where his Hyun-ji had been... grieving with him through every little trace of her he encounters in the village... until he begins to heal at last, knowing that she had wonderful memories of him during her brief life to tide her over all those years before she was recovered. And this knowledge enabled him to pay it forward to Eun-hee's mother... according her the same sliver of comfort that he himself had derived from that revelation. HJH affirms again why he is such a force to be reckoned with, nailing every nuance of JPS' emotions - shock, to reopened wounds, renewed grief, gratitude for those who were with Hyun-ji when he couldn't, acceptance and healing. Tears.

So I was right. It was OIY whom Thomas related everything about KW and JPS to, and he has abilities that the other souls didn't. While we don't know yet why he would be different from the others, I am glad that these discrepancies are deliberate, and not shoddy writing on the scriptwriter's part. Captain Kang definitely knows more about OIY than she lets on, and I don't know yet why she would insist on the two men being kept in the dark, but I can't wait to see how it unfolds. 

Similarly, KW brings up a question that remains to be answered... why he still could see the village. If JPS' ability to do so is due to Hyun-ji's ties to it, what is KW's? From Captain Kang's reaction, I believe he is related to her somehow. Since she is definitely not his mother, then what other link is there? To be honest, we don't even know how long she has been in the village, so the idea that she could be his grandmother might not be too far-fetched?

We see another mysterious locked room, similar to the one in Duon where Thomas kept Hwang Du-cheol incarcerated until CYN set him free. Is there another evil living person that Captain Kang is keeping under literal lock and key? Could it be HDC again, having stumbled into this village after escaping from the last? There is a sinister masked man that OIY is seen with at the end of the episode. Does that man have similar abilities as HDC and our dynamic duo? Knowing that it is possible for the living to be trapped in these villages, is Captain Kang and OIY plotting to incarcerate him to prevent him from harming more people? Questions questions. 

Suffice to say Ep2 has exceeded my expectations after the initial disappointment, hitting all the right notes - emotionally and narratively - which is both a blessing and a curse since I am back in the vicious cycle of euphoria and pain that live-watching brings, with no way to make the days go faster to the next episode. :nervous:

• Clapping Hands 3

S2 script reading :heart:

• Like 3

On 12/21/2022 at 8:47 AM, liddi said:

I mourned anew with JPS as he finds a world where his Hyun-ji had been... grieving with him through every little trace of her he encounters in the village... until he begins to heal at last, knowing that she had wonderful memories of him during her brief life to tide her over all those years before she was recovered. And this knowledge enabled him to pay it forward to Eun-hee's mother... according her the same sliver of comfort that he himself had derived from that revelation. HJH affirms again why he is such a force to be reckoned with, nailing every nuance of JPS' emotions - shock, to reopened wounds, renewed grief, gratitude for those who were with Hyun-ji when he couldn't, acceptance and healing. Tears.

Same here. I was crying for ahjussi when he realised this was the place Hyun Ji's soul spent her last days at before they found her body. 

I think this is one of the main differences between this show and say other "crime procedurals" . Ultimately the solving of these cold cases is to give their loved ones closure , more than just finding justice or catching the perpetrator . I find myself connecting emotionally with what's going on rather quickly. 

But of course like you said the big mystery is why our Wook is able to see the dead souls again. (Though the number 1 mystery for me is how those 3 are even surviving without working  :laugh:) And what I am wondering too is why OIY is able to leave the village. This somewhat breaks the rules of the previous one, isn't it?  And just like in the previous season, I am sure there will be bad folks who ended up in the village. 

The benefit of this season is that now Detective Shin is working alongside them - I know in S1 , it was a lot harder to get the cops to believe them. Now things move much faster since  Shin is able to quickly respond to their investigations.

@SilverMoonTea Your fave Thomas made a cameo! Are you planning to watch this?

• Clapping Hands 4

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

@abs-oluteM I agree. This drama embodies so much heart - focusing on the victims, their loved ones, when even closure is sometimes just not enough, as Eun-hee's mother so piteously cried over the injustice of it all, a daughter finally returned to her side whom she can no longer see nor touch. Utterly heartbreaking.

There is certainly a great deal of mystery surrounding OIY's abilities - his ability to travel in and out of villages, even to multiple villages (even being able to talk to Thomas in Duon a year prior), and to be able to interact with those in the land of the living. It's telling that in the script-reading BTS, Kim Donghwi's interview about his character was censored :laugh: which is great since it goes to show his unusual abilities, while in apparent conflict of the universe's rules, are a deliberate plot device and should be explained down the road.

I had such a good laugh with your description of the greatest mystery of all. Now that is one mystery I demand to know the secret to, so that I can apply it to my own life as well, surviving if not thriving without doing any work :wow2::laugh:

Although so late in the year, I am so thrilled that this drama has broken my drama drought... being the one that keeps me waiting impatiently for the next episode. Is it Tuesday already?

@SilverMoonTea Do join us! With what we've seen so far, fingers crossed this will be one of the dramas you will persevere to the end.

Edited by liddi
  • Insightful 1
  • Clapping Hands 3

It’s good to be able to watch 2 episodes back to back, because like @liddi said, ep.1 felt rather lackluster to me too. And I agree Thomas’ cameo at the start made this transition into S2 a smooth one, even if one had not watched S1. Also achieved by some recaps of S1, which is probably one of the reasons ep.1 felt rather dragging for us who want to watch them get into action ASAP. Having said that, I really appreciate that the writer took time to let JPS found out more about Hyun Ji’s after death experiences, and this being able to heal more completely. 

Like them, I am shocked at the number of children present in this new village. What had happened to them? And I am probably the only one feeling the dilemma of wanting or not wanting Eun Hee being found by her mother? Because she has been helping the kids in that village for 20 years already. What’s going to happen to the children there when this big loving sister is gone? Who is going to take care of them now since we haven’t seen any other adults except for Captain Kang, the principal, and OIY.... I would’ve prefer that these children are “sent back” one by one first before eventually Eun Hee be “reunited” with her mother, although I also feel the pain of her mother, having waited and hoped for 20 long years. 

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

@ktcjdrama You raise an interesting point about being reluctant for Eun-hee to be found due to the care she has been giving to the children in the village, and it is true that her departure breaks the hearts of the little ones under her charge and leaves a void in the village which may not be as quickly and readily filled. Nonetheless, I guess I don't feel the same way because there is no telling when, if ever, the children will be found. Considering the fact that she has been missing for 20 years, how many more 20 years does her mother have in this life to be able to wait in vain for closure? In the end, for me, the torment of those left behind outweighs the needs of those in the village, because, regardless of the nature of their deaths, they are at limbo in a form of paradise in the village, and are in a far better place than those who continue to wait for their return. Unfortunately, the fact that they are in the village also means that only their remains can return to their loved ones, and that is the unchanging tragedy of their lives and those who love them...

Edited by liddi
  • Clapping Hands 3

The cast hears the stories and heartfelt cries of real parents whose children are lost... Pray that they will be reunited with their children soon...

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Am a little ambivalent about this week's offerings, particularly in terms of pacing. Not sure whether it's because I was watching it in the midst of the flurry of festive activities around me, but I find the storyline dragging its feet again in Ep4, especially with Bora, her kidnapped mother and the possibility of her being Wook's child. It could well be intentional, and the focus of the drama is now expanded to include all missing people - dead and alive. Nonetheless, the fact that we are seeing it in a context that I have associated to missing souls has thrown a spanner in the works for me as far as the delivery is concerned, and for now, I see it as detracting from the original focus of the narrative. Perhaps I will feel differently with subsequent episodes.

Not to say that everything was a disappointment. Ep3 hit the right notes - a father who allowed his grief to widen the gulf between them after their loss, the children coping in their own way as they miss the mother whom they lost too soon and resenting each other because they did not understanding the coping mechanism each of them used to shield themselves from the pain. I teared up with MSJ and MYW as they finally realise the misunderstandings that had driven a wedge between them, knowing that there is no more opportunity to ask for forgiveness, just as I ached for OIY and Captain Kang, seeing the boy disappear, with the discovery of his remains. Captain Kang, who has been in the village for almost 30 years... with no way to leave, maintaining memory room, as much for herself as it is for the souls who had come and gone. We learn a new rule to this universe, which is that any item given away by a resident, will remain intact even after that person is gone, and this is why MSJ's nametag remained, and JPS finally got to see his Hyun-ji's treasure chest. 

Still, not everything is rosy in the new village. While appearing kindly, Headmaster Jung seems to be hiding a few secrets of his own, and I have to wonder whether he is indeed, who he claims he is after all, which would explain why he refuses any offers to contact his family. If so, who and where is the real Headmaster Jung? Was he killed by the one claiming to be him? For his wife to be able to continue claiming the pension payments, his body has to be hidden. Why then is he not at the village, unless he is in another similar village elsewhere? 

By the end of the week, we are left with more questions than answers. We are also still no closer to knowing what happened to OIY, though the blond man must be his killer, since he is in possession of his ring. Likewise, who is the masked man who is the mastermind behind the drug activities? What are Moon Seyoung's ties to these people, that the henchman would keep her locked up. He doesn't appear to want to harm her yet, but I have to wonder why he is doing what he did, when he is involved in Choi Jung-a's kidnapping and murder. Last but not least, Wook has visions through his dreams of someone (himself?) being kept on a drip (drugged?) and locked up in a room. How does that work? Does Wook now have powers that transcend just seeing dead souls, since those in his vision are clearly still alive? Questions questions.

It is early days yet with 10 more episodes to go. Hopefully, the kinks that bothering me thus far will be ironed out or justified in the end. Fingers crossed!

And if I don't get the chance after this, wishing all a very marvellous, safe and healthy 2023!

• Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

OST#3 -

I cried my eyes out at the end of ep.7... Good-byes are hard, even in the other world. I still have mixed feelings about the souls leaving the village they're at, because they have adapted well there and are happy, why can't they just keep remaining there? Even though I know the family is missing them, and a closure is needed for the family too.... which then brought me to my next question along with the latest case in ep.8. That bad guy was killed by his wife. So supposedly, the family member (wife) knows where his body is. He is technically "not" missing. Why did he go to the village then? 

Well now, the whole village knows about OIY and Wook. What chaos will arise from it? With the sports day, I realise there are so many more people in that village. It's just so sad to see that kind of crowd in this kind of village. I don't know, I guess I like Season 1 better in that there aren't that many people there. Also, how many village of this kind exist? How is it determined whose soul goes to where? In Season 1, JPS was able to see the village because of his daughter, but it turned out that Hyun Ji spent her time in another village. Did I miss something about why he could see that village, and yet Hyun Ji was never there? For Wook it is clear because his mother was there. But even for the new village, why was he able to enter and exit like at previous village? Could it be that OIY is a family of his that he's never known about? Captain Kang commented in passing that they're just like brothers. Anyway, I am now wondering also, whether or not OIY really died already.... Still curious what made him able to enter/exit the village when other souls cannot....

• Insightful 1

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

I am catching up on this show. Have been trying to juggle :GrowDerp:

Ep3 made me cry - the young boy who died trying to save his sister. The case got resolved quickly ( compared to previous season) partly because they have Det Shin on their side now. So much easier when the cops believe you . Anyway I watched a bit of eps 4 yesterday ...and omg...is Wook the father of Bora? That got me quite excited. 

Will be back with more thoughts soon & back read.  

• Party! 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

I finished till eps 7 ..,so far so good for me. The essence of S1 is not lost on this season . And I found myself touched / moved with all their stories . The person who had kidnapped Se Young turned out to be an undercover detective. And I felt bad for him when he couldn’t stop crying . This is a true sacrifice for the country. And we finally find out about Oh Il Young’s & Captain Kang’s backstory too . Whether they lost their life due to something criminal or not, there’s still that feeling of regret that perhaps a change of circumstances could have changed the course of their fate .

@ktcjdrama  I too am curious about why Wook , Ahjussi can enter any village . And also why OIY is the only dead soul that can leave the village . Also let’s not forget the lil puppy who could go into the village . Perhaps animals can transcend dimensions ? But one question I need to clear up , so is Wook the father of Bora? 

@liddi @joccu__ you guys still watching? 

• Like 2