Sageuk & Wuxia Oppas (Oct 3 - Oct 10)

I don't have oppas... I'm too old for that. Besides all the lads I'm fond of are younger than moi. :smug:

But my three big happy discoveries this year from the world of wuxia are:

Chen Zheyuan who acquitted himself admirably as Xiao Yu'er/ Jiang Xiaoyu in Handsome Siblings: (Netflix)

The bravado, the swagger... the intelligence... Chen Zheyuan nailed it all. And who doesn't like a cunning trickster who relies on his brains rather than martial arts to get himself out of scrapes.

Handsome-Siblings-Still-2

Toby Lee who was great as the Sherlockian Xiao Song in Miss Truth: With all the show's flaws this was one of my crack dramas of 2020. Don't know why I hadn't heard of Toby Lee before but he gives a delightful and nuanced performance as the Sorrow of Chang'an's Ghosts who is great in everything except wooing the lovely female medical examiner. This highly regarded government official of the Tang dynasty turns into a boy when he falls for Ran Yan.

Miss Truth 4

Liu Yaoyan a talented youngster who was Eunuch Wang Zhi in The Sleuth of Ming Dynasty: Brilliant and adept player in court politics. (Although Sleuth is not exactly brain stretching stuff)

LiuYaoYan

Edited by 40somethingahjumma
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

Currently Watching: Queen of Tears, In Blossom

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

The Admiral Roaring Currents

io1N0k7.jpg

-- For admiration only --

I forgot Bo Gum was in this! A marvelous history-based movie about Admiral Yi Sun Shin and his famous turtle ship against the Japanese navy. A box office BIG hit and Korean's proudest hero. Lotsa big names in here. Veteran movie actor Choi Min Sik plays Yi Sun Shin and Bo Gum, at the time, had a really small role but he was shining brightly albeit looking so dirty (Well, they can't all be always looking clean & gorgeous when in the medieval, there's no shower readily available. Look out for his emoting eyes). Highly recommended. Must check it out!!! This isn't a movie recommendation thread so I'm not sure why I'm recommending it, haha.

tDWX4Sk.jpg

Edited by mademoisellesia
  • Like 5
  • Insightful 2
  • Clapping Hands 2

Oppa Appreciation Posts:

Sageuk Drama Moon that Embracing the Sun. One of popular sageuk drama of MBC. It has many oppas, from the young actors to the older ones. 

Older Casts

Kim Soo Hyun

Kim-Soo-Hyun.jpg?s=900x600&e=t

Jung Il Woo

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRBVlHL9KVq07nQO2jXTs6

Song Jae Rim

78a8ad021922c160a77c38f30536f390--k-dram

Younger Casts

Spoiler

2b7a18688a76517f2129ae6ec8dff322.png

Left to right

Lee Tae Ri - Yeo Jin Goo - Im Si Wan - Lee Won Geun

• Like 7
  • Awesome 1
  • Clapping Hands 1
  • Party! 1

Currently Watching List:

K-drama: The Real Has Come, See You in My 19th Life 

K-variety: 

My Country: The New Age

4xAJCNH.gif

Yang Se Jong as Seo Hwi

Woo Do Hwan as Nam Seon Ho

cvSzxfK.jpgMy Country: The New Age tells the story of two young men during the transitional period of the end of Goryeo dynasty and the beginning of Joseon era. Rather than telling the story from the eyes of the Yi clan, the story takes on the perspective of these two civilians in this warring period—detailing their cursed entanglement, how/what the country to them should be and how they protect their loved ones.

Seo Hwi, the son of Seo Geom nicknamed Goryeo's Unbreakable Sword who, as its title, was skilled with sword-fighting. Taking after his deceased father, Hwi is a skilled archer and are intelligent during battles. Hwi's whole life revolves around working hard and taking care of his little sister. To Hwi, his sister is his "country" and without her, there is no home or country.

0s0uAEg.jpgNam Seon Ho is the bastard son of Nam Jeon, who only became "important" when the rightful heir of the Nam family drown. Seon Ho was separated forcefully from his slave mother by Nam Jeon, and she took her life so that Seon Ho would have a "better living" and not seek her out all the time. Seon Ho grows up without love. He has respect for Nam Jeon and constantly needing to please him, but also fears him.

Even though living a rich and prestige life, Seon Ho is not treated as such due to his low ranking birth.  Due to this, Seon Ho wishes to succeed so that he could change the world. When the "world" began to change, he seizes the chance to serve King Taejo, Yi Seong Gye. Meanwhile Seo Hwi decided to help Yi Bang Won, the 5th son of Yi Seong Gye who will later be the 3rd king of Joseon.

The irony of it all is that Seo Hwi and Seon Ho are best friends. Though they were forced to be rivals, in the bottom of their hearts, they never stopped to care about each other. All the while I thought Seon Ho would turn evil and betray Hwi (which he sort of did but with good reasons), but Seon Ho is not cold-hearted like his father. Due to his soft heart towards the Seo siblings, Seon Ho always found himself at the cross road...

After Hwi helped Yi Bang Won overthrow Yi Seong Gye, Yi Bang Won (as history recorded) began to kill the people once served him. As Bang Won knows of Hwi's ability and his supporters, Bang Won seeks Hwi and his loved ones out for a blood bath. Rather than running, Hwi and Seon Ho confront Bang Won and...

Spoiler

6b89k6O.jpg

... died to protect their loved ones, and Seon Ho pays off the debt he owes Hwi and relieve himself from the guilt.

Yang Se Jong's character never had any break in the drama. He's always on the go, kept being beaten up, trampled on and poisoned. Poor thing. While Woo Do Hwan's character was much more compelling because of the inner conflicts he has with Hwi and his father. Overall I find the story flawed in many ways with the depiction of Hwi and Seon Ho and I was also disappointed that Hwi, being the mastermind of battles, was not utilised well into the story-telling during the Strife of the Princes. However, it was a joy watching the sparks between Se Jong, Do Hwan against veterans Jang Hyuk and Ahn Nae Sang.

BONUS for @abs-oluteM

Spoiler

Capture.png

BONUS for everyone - Charcoal and Snow White 🤣

Spoiler

Errr... so I decided to split this one out for a proper appreciation and entry because of their bromace and stellar acting performances. This drama made me watch Six Flying Dragons (OMG, I did watch another 50 episodes long drama!!) afterward to get a better knowledge of the Yi family's history. Although I did plan to watch Tree Deep Roots after, but lost interest as it was very very very heavy.

• Like 9
  • Haha 1
  • Awesome 1

So funny story...I started this club to be ogling at errr..abs hence that's why @mademoisellesia always sends me these bonus pictures :SquirtleNiceAhah:...but the committee members ( @mademoisellesia and @SilverMoonTea) loves oppas in all sorts of clothes and hair...

Omo @LaLa...Song Jae Rim ..have not seen him in a drama since I didn't watch his last one. But at one time I was quite crazy over him.

-------------------

@40somethingahjumma knows this one - Zhang Zhe Han in Legend of Yun Xi!  Gosh I really love this web drama (though it had its weakness) and I think the pairing of ZZH with Jun Jing Yi ( playing the titular character Yun Xi) in this historical fantasy was what made it work. ZZH plays Long FeiYe - a somewhat tsundere type ruler/ heir to the throne who was forced to marry Yun Xi ( an "ugly woman") as part of the schemes of the Empress Dowager who wanted to destroy him. It was a contract marriage type of show , and  as expected along the way the couple falls in love for real even though they  started off on the wrong foot..... kkkk ...I love this sort of premise !

ZZH as Long Fe Yei was completely swoon worthy. We called him the ice-block in early episodes as he was initially very cold to Yun Xi  especially upon finding out she was a spy for the Empress. It was hard not to love Yun Xi who was a ball of sunshine and he could see that she was kind and good . Later,  he finds out the truth to why she had agreed to do this.   Over time they grew closer, and I loved how he was slowly melting and you could see the little changes in his expressions. I squealed every time he smiled or looked at Yun Xi differently . Though ZZH is a very young actor, I felt he had this kingly presence to him  - the role required subtlety and he was able to convey just the right amount of emotions.

From distrust to affection - ZZH did the role justice!!! 

giphy.gifgiphy.gif

This MV has  ZZH cuts and he sings the OST (has subs!)

And bonus for fans ...they will be reuniting in a new historical drama - The Blooms of Ruyi Pavillion. 

Spoiler

Xul9fgfVXt6FloHmYWOzvGNUrPs_QJlUFCORIzVd

• Like 7
  • Haha 2
  • Awesome 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

Sungkyunkwan Scandal
Song Joong Ki as Gu Yong Ha

f6cc9f0f08101385bcc5ff9fedd0ce7ada80c217

He is playful, naughty, and smart. He is playboy. He wears good & expensive outfits. He looks like a rich man but it's a lie. The most touching part is when he is brave to admit that he doesn’t come from a high class family, he is from middle class family.

9c89390a7b4b33d260386dd9e08ff9014bea5e67

•••
Kim Yoon Hee (Park Min Young) disguises herself as her brother Kim Yoon Shik. She replaces her sick brother to take test and study at Sungkyunkwan school. She is friends with Lee Seon Joon (Park Yoo Chun), Moon Jae Shin (Yoo Ah In), and Gu Yong Ha (Song Joong Ki). They are called Jalgeum Quartet. King Jeongjo (Jo Sung Ha) chooses them for a task.

07fe185f014201176dcb3954433c27abeb0fe03c

•••
I like sageuk. I like history & culture. Through this drama we can see life of Sungkyunkwan students in Joseon era.

Sungkyunkwan is a real school in Korean history. Now it is Sungkyunkwan University. Complex of old buildings and gate from Joseon era are still there. In real life, SJK studied & graduated from Sungkyunkwan University.

I knew SJK for the first time through this drama. I was not his fan at that time but I admitted he was so attractive in portraying Gu Yong Ha. After being his fan, Gu Yong Ha is still unforgettable and still one of my favorite characters. Maybe it's the most playful, most cheerful, and funniest among SJK's works.

Spoiler

44ffd791ae024a07aa2ffd563616c40235a8bde4

deeafac3d7c1f53add0c9d0a8bc6ea6f8c7908bd

• Like 8
  • Heart Eyes 2

@mademoisellesia The Royal Tailor ^^ I watched it because of Park Shin Hye and liked to see Han Suk Kyu, Go Soo, Yoo Yeon Seok in it.

Six Flying Dragons is still in my list. I don't know when I will start to watch 😂

Because you mentioned A Frozen Flower. Frozen Flower Oppas in 2008 & 2015 😁

Song Joong Ki, Jo In Sung, Lim Joo Hwan

6a966f85fefbc27139ac0731c2e1652a697477c7

Cr : joongki85919

Yoo Seung Ho as Prince Kim Chun Chu in drama Queen Seon Deok 😍

74d6433028e97ef28ca0d0bcdd80c0957b35d994

• Like 7
  • Star Struck 1
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Shocked 1

Not sure if anyone here knows these earlier wuxia heroes. @Lynne?

The Condor Trilogy written by Louis Cha (aka Jin Yong). Together with Kent Tong, they became known as the 5 Tigers in Hong Kong.

Legend of the Condor Heroes

Michael Miu Kiu Wai and Felix Wong Yat Wah

the-legend-of-the-condor-heroes-1983-tv-series-807d5b98-cef7-449f-a132-b0034125822-resize-750.jpeg

Return of the Condor Heroes

Andy Lau Tak Wah

hzandy1030_1.jpg?itok=dy7jBNNK

The Heaven Sword and Dragon Sabre

Tony Leung Chiu Wai

new-heavenly-sword-and-dragon-sabre-e898f45d-23ee-4fab-ae3b-ccefa3d475e-resize-750.jpeg

Edited by Chocolate
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Star Struck 1
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Shocked 2
  • Clapping Hands 2

@Chocolate I miss old wuxia. 

Since you mentioned Kent Tong, did you watched this? Demi God & Semi Devil, he's some spoiled prince, who can't do kungfu. It's quite refreshing, cos as the protagonist he have so many shortfall. Which was not common. Idy Chan is such a classic beauty. Love her. 

And Chor La Heung the old version haha... 

This bring old memories.... The old actor & actress back then really charming. I felt nowadays TVB HK no one can surpass them? They're so classic. 

• Like 6
  • Insightful 1
  • Haha 2
  • Heart Eyes 1

ezgif-com-gif-maker-47.gif

1 hour ago, ssteph said:

Please tell me if you find her. Curious 😂

Could it be Liu Xue Hua? But I don't see the shows in her drama list. She used to act in these historical taiwanese dramas that always makes you cry.

@SilverMoonTea

Yes! I have watched most of the dramas from that era lol. Even some from the generation before that. Adam Cheng as the original Chor Lau Heung! Hahaha. Thanks for the music video - so nice to hear these oldies sometimes.

L_p0104238581.jpg

Another of my favourite actors - Louis Koo Tin Lok. Here in another successful remake of The Condor Heroes. It seems most of the actors who play "Yang Guo" go on to become quite successful lol.

And also in A Step Into The Past - this drama was very good too. Unlike Korean dramas, it was rare to have time travel in HK dramas. There was some comedy and we also learn a bit about Qin Shi Huang. This was one of Raymond Lam's earlier dramas too.

MV5BN2Q2MzM5MTEtOGE2ZS00YWYxLTlkYWEtNDcyYjg3MWYyOWQzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjA5NDI3NDI@._V1_.jpg

Yes, TVB dramas seem to have lost their luster. Likely because most of the actors have gone to China. There also seems to be a lack of good writers now too. The old days are the best and some have aged quite well - Michael Miu is a good example. Still looks hot at 60!

Spoiler

Edited by Chocolate
  • Like 5
  • Insightful 1
  • Haha 2
  • Star Struck 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

ℕ𝕚𝕣𝕧𝕒𝕟𝕒 𝕀𝕟 𝔽𝕚𝕣𝕖

🇭‌🇺‌ 🇬‌🇪‌ 🇦‌🇳‌🇩‌ 🇼‌🇦‌🇳‌🇬‌ 🇰‌🇦‌🇮‌

Hu Ge as Mei Chang Su

Coined by netizens as much better than GoT, Langyabang is more inclined as the Wuxia 's Count of Monte Cristo because of the revenge theme embroidered in the drama. The series tells the story of Lin Shu, who, under the alias Mei Changsu, enters the capital of Liang to seek justice for a conspiracy that labeled his family as traitors 12 years before.

The drama was a commercial and critical success, surpassing ten million views by its second day, and receiving a total number of daily internet views on iQiyi of over 3.3 billion by the end of the series. Nirvana in Fire was considered a social media phenomenon, generating 3.55 billion posts on Sina Weibo that praised its characters and story-line.As of December 2016, it has a total view of 13 billion views as reported by VLinkage.(wiki)

bcd330a7167d07e8e1e32e14ab9d812c.jpg

Wang Kai as Prince Jingyan  

Throwing my adjectives why I so love  this show :SquirtleWonderfull:

(which made me love for almost a year, watched it for the nth time, and still worthy for a rewatch just to bawl over):

lovely costumes,fantastic wuxia actions, powerful ensemble of femme fatale, the cinematography, the captivating cinematic scores, the epic battle sequence shot in grand scale sets, the humor of storylines, the heartache, the agony, the pain of love and rediscovery then lost again, the brotherhood, the bromance, the squad goals, the game of thrones , when swords and books fly, politics are not overly done, Hu Ge is gorgeous, Wang Kai is gorgeous, the lead character has three names so you won't get bored, the powerful villains, when stupid is a common thing, the visuals, the lovely opening billboard, battle of the brains--

Spoiler

tumblr_p64cloHEiS1x7ao8ao1_r1_400.giftumblr_p8jaxztwOA1qf7keqo1_500.gifimage

For NIF Fix/ References  *Click on the photo to redirect you on the site* :hearties:

Spoiler

Relationships and Justice in Nirvana in Fire – High Yellow – Asian Popular  Culture     Wang Kai Will Return for “Nirvana in Fire 2” | JayneStars.com       Nirvana in Fire | Wiki | K-Drama Amino 

Where to watch                      Recap                      About the Show 

In Wuxia, Princess is Not a Bad Word: Nirvana in Fire – High Yellow – Asian  Popular Culture     Nirvana in Fire Director Amazed At Fans 'Shipping' the Mei Changsu and Jing  Wang Bromance - DramaPanda 

Drama vs Novel               Character Guide

Luring everyone through this : :Ghastlel:

Spoiler

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1
  • Haha 1
  • Star Struck 1
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

Plop Cat GIFs | Tenor

Appreciation  Post

ℕ𝕚𝕣𝕧𝕒𝕟𝕒 𝕚𝕟 𝔽𝕚𝕣𝕖 𝟚 : 𝕋𝕙𝕖 𝕎𝕚𝕟𝕕 𝔹𝕝𝕠𝕨𝕤 𝕚𝕟 ℂ𝕙𝕒𝕟𝕘𝕝𝕚𝕟

I don't have gege to ogle on this drama, but an adopted son instead:smug:

🅛🅘🅤 🅗🅐🅞 🅡🅐🅝

as Xiao Ping Jing

tumblr_p1lq29khpP1rp3aeko1_500.gif

tumblr_p1lq29khpP1rp3aeko2_500.gif

tumblr_p1lq29khpP1rp3aeko3_500.gif

Spoiler

Nirvana in Fire' returns to the small screen with new tale -  Chinadaily.com.cn

100  Best Nirvana In Fire 2 (琅琊榜之风起长林) - The Wind Blows in Chang Lin images  | nirvana in fire, nirvana, lins

Pin by YUNjjjjiE on 喜欢你 | Nirvana in fire, Premiere, Nirvana

Nirvana in Fire 2' to hit the small screen- China.org.cn

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

Plop Cat GIFs | Tenor

Speaking of the great Han Suk-kyu, my favourite sageuk of all time tied with Dae Jang Geum (Jewel in the Palace) is the multi-award winning, Tree With Deep Roots. Predecessor to Six Flying Dragons. I remember hitting the "next" button as I sat on the edge of my seat, marathoning the whole thing in 2 days.

And of course it also features my favourite SK actors of all time... Jang Hyuk as a Joseon-style detective who is inevitably drawn into an explosive political conspiracy.

A-2BTree-2BWith-2BDeep-2BRoots

Bodies are dropping like flies in King Sejong aka Lee Do's Joseon and they happen to be scholars from the Hall of Worthies. Jang Hyuk's royal guard, Kang Chae-yoon is called in to look into the matter. What the powers-that-be don't know is that he is a former slave that escaped Taejong's (Sejong's tyrannical father) big purge of the court decades earlier.

Tree_With_Deep_Roots-ep17trailer

Of course the most important aspect to this wonderful sageuk is that it tells the story of how hangeul was developed. As someone who loves the written word and is passionate about literacy, this drama has my heart on multiple levels.

Han Suk-kyu plays the older Sejong while Song Joong-ki plays the younger version. HSK might be the closest thing I have to an oppa. 

Tree

12 hours ago, Chocolate said:

@ssteph Oh love Vicki Zhao too. There was another Taiwanese actress who was also very popular in the years before Vicki Zhao. Do you happen to know her name? Can't recall for now and driving me nuts haha

Do you mean Brigitte Lin (Lin Qingxia)? But she's more than 10 years older than Vicky Zhao.

• Like 6
  • Star Struck 2
  • Clapping Hands 1

Currently Watching: Queen of Tears, In Blossom

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

3 hours ago, Chocolate said:

Haha, no. I am familiar with Lin Qingxia, Lin Fengjiao and Zhen Zhen. That trilogy of beautiful Taiwanese actresses. I think it could be Liu Xuehua. But nevermind, brain is tired lol. Thanks for helping.

Errr, are you talking about Mei Hua San Nong (梅花三弄)? Coz this was presented as a trilogy.

The first one Mei Hua Lao, where the FL had a burnt tattoo of a flower.

The second was Ghost Husband.

The third was Shui Yun Jian.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Important Information

Terms of Use