Record of Youth 청춘기록 [2020]

2 minutes ago, bluepebbles said:

• Hyejoon and his grandfather- I am totally did not seeing this coming. Their scenes hit me home because I was close to my late grandfather. Park Bogum brilliantly executed thet phone call scene with subtlety. Also when Hyejoon hold his grandpa’s hand while his dad is scolding them both.

I know, right! Their scene, especially when HJ reaches out to his grandfather so that they can be moral support for each other is so sweet!

I don't have the father because I do think that the father wants the best for his son, but it's clear that the father still harbors resentment on a number of issues with his father/the grandfather. The implication is that HJ's father keenly felt that his own father did not necessarily approve of his choices, maybe because the father did not inherit the good looks from the grandfather? Not to mention, the grandfather did make the mistake of getting conned out of his son's money. :(

HJ's father also makes it clear that what's important is being able to make enough money to live on. I agree with that to an extent, but feel that everyone should get a chance to follow their dream before being forced to give it up. I suppose this drama is exploring how long youth should/could follow their dreams?

And, love all the other points that you make, and so agree with you!

• Like 2

Forgot to mention, I really loved Kim Hye Yoon's cameo as Lee Bo Ra, the make up artist ex-girlfriend of the rather arse-y star Park Do Ha as played by Kim Gun Woo. On the one hand, hope it's not some weird foreshadowing that a make up artist breaks up with a star. Still, Kim Hye Yoon is so good at playing feisty characters. The last time I saw Kim Gun Woo, on the other hand, was as the arse-y Kim Tak Su who was the opponent to Park Seo Joon's character Go Dong Man in Fight for My Way. So, perhaps Kim Gun Woo is specializing in playing jerks?

Anyway, I enjoyed their cameos and watching Lee Bo Ra get her own back against Park Do Ha. Especially since PDH dared to leave a scratch on HJ's face! Grrrr.

• Haha 1
  • Heart Eyes 2

I was able to catch the first episode today and enjoyed the introduction to HJ's current situation with his career. Even those it's been seven years and he hasn't made much progress, it's really refreshing to see how ambitious he still is. The gesture between him his grandpa was so nice to see too. Grandpa is the only one who believes in him, but no worries, I believe in you too! :heart:

I'm really glad that Park So Dam decided to venture back into drama land. In my opinion, her last drama did not do her acting any justice. I can understand JH's answer to why she decided to buy a place even though she'll have a mortgage for 30 years. When you've never had a stable home, it's nice to know that you have one to come to at night. I'm excited to see how her character develops in the series. I hope she is able to build up her confidence. 

Do you like me? Say "yes"!! 😍

• Like 3
1 hour ago, stroppyse said:

Forgot to mention, I really loved Kim Hye Yoon's cameo as Lee Bo Ra, the make up artist ex-girlfriend of the rather arse-y star Park Do Ha as played by Kim Gun Woo. On the one hand, hope it's not some weird foreshadowing that a make up artist breaks up with a star. Stil, Kim Hye Yoon is so good at playing feisty characters

I love her too!! That short cameo is pretty impressive for me! I wish she could be part of the casts. Huhuhu.. she looks good to have a small quarrel before PBG lets her in. Aww. The way he says that he's physically unable to stop her. I like him being this cool. 😍😅

1 hour ago, stroppyse said:

Anyway, I enjoyed their cameos and watching Lee Bo Ra get her own back against Park Do Ha. Especially since PDH dared to leave a scratch on HJ's face! Grrrr.

Ahh... me too. Too bad they're just cameos. Well. The drama is bot about them. So yea... 

So overall, is it a good watch??

• Like 4
20 minutes ago, Alice Wonderland said:

So overall, is it a good watch??

Definitely. There is going to be some pain and some angst. I mean this is about youth trying to persevere despite being beaten down. However, I think it'll ultimately be a healing drama, which for me means that they are going to kick butt and take no prisoners! :laugh:

Honestly, though, it was a good first episode. Can't wait to catch the second episode tomorrow.

• Like 5
  • From tvN. I love the little interactions between the leads from the first episode! Scene shots plus some line quotes underneath.

•  

• 기록 포스터 #사혜준

"어떻게 시간만 공평할 수 있냐? 공격받고 있어 현실한테"
    #오늘의 청춘기록 #꿈과 현실 사이 #시간이 없다

<청춘기록> 9월 7일 [월] 밤 9시 첫 방송
    매주 [월화] 밤 9시 방송

The caption under the poster is a quote of one of HJ's lines that he says to his friends:
    "How is it that only time is fair to everyone? I'm in the middle of being beaten up, by reality."
    #record of today's youth  #the distance between a dream and reality #there is no time

<Record of Youth> September 9th [Mon] night 9 pm first broadcast
    Every week [Mon, Tues] 9 pm broadcast

기록 포스터 #안정하

"너 팬한 거 너무 잘했다는 생각이 들어"
#오늘의 청춘기록 #덕업일치 #안 정하고 살아요

Under the poster, this is a line that she says to herself which HJ overhears as he walks up to her:
"I think it is very good that I became your fan"
#record of today's youth #agreement on a virtuous achievement #Living without having decided

기록 포스터 #원해효

"내 힘으로 성공했단 걸 보여주고 싶어, 그거 하나만은 존중해줘"
#오늘의 청춘기록 #정정당당 #노력의 차이

This is a line that HH says to his mother to ask her to back off of his career since he wants to do it on his own. Poor baby that his mother can't just let him do this much less anything on his own.

"I want to show that I've succeeded on my own. Please respect just this one thing."
#record of today's youth #firm and resolute #difference of effort
  • Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 2

ACtC-3ePkae-I8VlDntN3pxvno_zL8vE8zVIryAU

🅡🅔🅒🅞🅡🅓 🅞🅕 🅨🅞🅤🅣🅗

𝕗𝕚𝕝𝕞𝕚𝕟𝕘 𝕝𝕠𝕔𝕒𝕥𝕚𝕠𝕟

Fashion Show week , Episode 1-2/Teaser Trailers

Episode 1 started with a dazzling introduction about our characters as well as how the story will revolve in the glitz and glamour of showbiz. The ending scene was the first meeting of Hye Joon and Jung Ha, with the discovery of Jung Ha's fangirling over her number one bias, Hye Joon.

8cf9e7bb58115a4d8b61e1c5cadf8d649954b98f

Spoiler

ACtC-3dHvFAKdyEzv_8Hjibsh5WyynFbRhFIs-SqDongdaemun Design Plaza_1

The fashion show is held in Dongdaemun Design Plaza , located in Seoul. 

* Dongdaemun Design Plaza (DDP) has a meaning of Dream, Design, and Play. 
* Earned most tagged location on Instagram in Korea in 2015
* Included in Top 5 most popular places according to Korean Facebook users in 2015
* Served as the filming location for SBS drama, You Who Came from the Stars, KBS2 drama, Producer, and MBC drama, She Was Pretty

Dongdaemun Design Plaza (DDP) is the newest and most iconic landmark of the Korean design industry. Located at the center of the Dongdaemun area, the DDP will serve as a key venue for design-related shows and conferences, exhibitions, and other events and gatherings.

Directions
[Subway]
Dongdaemun History & Culture Park Station (Seoul Subway Line 2, 4 ,5), Exit 1.

source and how to get here

Trivia:

• Park Bo Gum received his Stylist Icon Award (SIA) in 2016 [10 'Style Icon Awards' ('Bonsang') for their trendy, stylish, and influential fashion ] 
    Spoiler

ACtC-3dTlImkNk7UktxxBFkOYw3KcRTis3C8Wg0y

• Park Bo Gum filmed his 2016 Jestina CF here with Kim Yuna
    Spoiler

ACtC-3cizbz5SVbVHjgOAEVAsVzoqBo4lAlko8To

ACtC-3erp5Waj8Y238ILukJytPTWAL_tMLqPdc3J

source blog

• Like 5

Plop Cat GIFs | Tenor

17 minutes ago, Alice Wonderland said:

I love the ost. I just love PBG's character here. How they styled them. I like it. And how he rarely smiles here. He smiled a lot it B drama but here his cool aura flutters my heart the most. Oh my god... 😙😚😚

I also like how the first episode displayed how his struggles are . He's still the puppy grandson, thoughtful friend, welcoming part timer but then those pent up anger in his heart --i felt that, apart from the scar he got from the annoying actor. 

174d36f5a72120c0ce3cc41b4c629c50.jpg

• Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 2

Plop Cat GIFs | Tenor

Grrrr. Just starting to watch episode 2, and I'm already upset at Jung Ha!

Spoiler

Way to kick puppy when he's already down and struggling! Yeah, so he did come across as being a bit smug, asking her if she was his fan. Did she have to say that he was mistaken and that she was actually a fan of Hye Ho????? Arrrggghhhh.

And, yes, I half-feared this because JH was so nervous about being caught out by HJ, and she doesn't know how HJ has to hear that he will never be able to be as successful as HH all the time. Still! Poor HJ. JH had better make it up to him, and soon!

And, he's soooo sweet to her in response anyway. He tells her that HH is a good person. And, he sympathizes with her being treated unfairly and her nervousness about meeting the star that she's a fan of.

I don't care if she reaffirms that she really likes HJ to herself. Still aggravated.

But, man, HJ looks good on the runway!

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Still watching the 2nd episode, and wow, it went there. Sponsorship.

Spoiler

The designer has a crush on HJ! 5 years ago, he had offered to be HJ's sponsor, but HJ had turned him down.

So, now he's made another offer, saying it's his final offer to HJ. The designer is offering to set up an agency to manage HJ until he succeeds as an actor. HJ turned it down, but the designer is giving HJ a week to think it over.

I think HJ is turning down the designer because HJ wants to make it without "sponsorship", plus HJ isn't interested in a sexual/romantic relationship with the designer.

It's well known that the Korean (as well as other countries) entertainment industries, including modeling, is rife with "sponsorship" of promising young, beautiful, talented people. Unfortunately, that sponsorship typically is a form of prostitution.

• Like 3
  • Shocked 1

Ugh! That slimy ex-manager to HJ. Such a slimeball. He's taking advantage of youngsters, and since HJ showed him loyalty, he took even more advantage of him. And, now that HJ has left his agency, the slimeball is torpedo-ing modeling jobs for HJ out of spite.

I don't know if I can stand HJ getting kicked any more. It's too painful.

Spoiler

And he even lost the audition to HH thanks to HH's mother's lobbying.

Also, I didn't even know that makeup street busking was a thing.

Oh, I just realized! The girl that JW was having a thing with, the girl in the car, is HH's actual sister, Hae Na! And, his friends don't know that he's having a thing with his friend's sister. Ooh, a potential complication in the messy lives of these guys?

• Like 5

I love the grandfather! He's definitely made mistakes in his life, and probably has not been a very good father. But, he's an excellent grandfather!

And Min Jae, the ex-assistant to the scumbug who now wants to be HJ's manager. She's actually adorable. I loved that she went to bat for HJ so that he can take part in the fashion show in Milan. And, then made all the arrangements over HJ's objections.

It was cute how they were in Milan together, and just for a second, it teased a noona romance, but it turned out even better. MJ loves the fashion world, and loves even more the act of helping other people succeed. She's going to be a great manager!

Also, HJ looks amazing on the runway! He's got the stare, the strut, and the cool insouciance in showing off the clothes.

HJ and JH have an easy chemistry together. And, at least JH told HH the truth about why she claimed to be HH's fan when she's really HJ's fan. Anyway, it's nice to see the three friends accept JH into their friendship.

I loved this second episode as well. It drew strong enough reactions for me, that I had to come on here and vent a bit from time to time, but the episode really flew.

And, even though it is still in the knocking HJ down phase since it's the start of the drama, at least, it gives us little bits of humor and hope that HJ does have people on his side.

It's actually JH who is more alone, but she now has HJ on her side, even if it's just as a friend for now.

Btw, I really, really dislike HH's mother. She's so obtuse and so narcissistic, she doesn't see how her "management" of her children are really more about her own needs and desires. She doesn't see her children as people in their own right, just as extensions of her. I assume that there is going to be a reckoning between HH, his mother, and perhaps his sister as well. Can't wait.

But, for now, I can't wait to see what happens in next week's episodes, whether HJ makes good on his promise to go to the military, though the preview seems to show that he may have second thoughts.

Episode 3 preview

HJ: Have you ever been on a date with a guy?
JH: Of course, I’ve dated!
Father: Do you think I go off on Hye Joon because I enjoy it?
Father: Yah! Aren’t you even going to acknowledge me?
HJ: We met each other's eyes.
Grandfather: If you go to the military, what will I do? I’m going to miss you so much.
HJ: Just wait 18 months.
HH Mother: You must be so upset because of Hye Joon. If he goes to the military now, he’ll be going bye-bye with you.
HJ: It was just a momentary lapse.
MJ: Do everything that you can with the time you have, before you toss it in.
HJ: What’s the big deal about success? You just have to do what you want and eat what you want.
HJ: I just want to be a little star. (me: meaning he just wants a small measure of success rather than having to blow out the lights)

• Like 4

@stroppyse I love the dynamics of grandpa and Hye Joon :Uwu:. What a duo of crybabies comforting each other, being honest on what they feel. They cry, I cry.  When they both hold hands to go to their room I cant even see the screen properly because they got me in tears again. Then the door fell  ! :psweatduck: This show and its comedic timing.

spacer.png

I guess the reason why Jungha witheld then knowledge of her being a fan to Hye Joon is because she does want to stay grounded? She could be labeled as a dense fan but at the same time I agree with her. 
spacer.pngspacer.png

And the designer offering sponsorship to Hye Joon. Wow. I didn’t see that coming from the show. It’s like the writer opened a pandora box for audience to see. What an irony that someone like the designer would throw the bone at Hye Joon when the reason is “love” and not business. Meanwhile Hye Joon is being pressured by his own family to reject reality in order for him to earn money instead of pursuing his passion.

I would want to understand the parents on this, but applying my own experience I would be the grandpa crying over his grandson’s hustles in order to get what he want by doing what he like. 

The noona manager is adorable ! 

• Like 4

Plop Cat GIFs | Tenor

9 minutes ago, bluepebbles said:

I guess the reason why Jungha witheld then knowledge of her being a fan to Hye Joon is because she does want to stay grounded? She could be labeled as a dense fan but at the same time I agree with her. 

That would be an acceptable reason, but JH admitted it herself that she was just too nervous being around HJ to tell him the truth of being his fans. Whereas she's fine talking to HH about it. LOL

11 minutes ago, bluepebbles said:

Meanwhile Hye Joon is being pressured by his own family to reject reality in order for him to earn money instead of pursuing his passion.

I think this is a common urging by families who worry that their children won't be able to support himself. HJ mentions that he had started working while his brother was studying, and that he had not asked his father for money since he had started working, but to be fair to HJ's parents, this is not exactly the same as HJ supporting himself with his earnings. HJ is still living in his parents' home after all which is a huge expense that HJ doesn't have to fund himself. 

13 minutes ago, bluepebbles said:

I would want to understand the parents on this, but applying my own experience I would be the grandpa crying over his grandson’s hustles in order to get what he want by doing what he like. 

I do understand the parents' perspectives somewhat, but I think HJ and his grandfather both have a point. Seeing HJ's disappointment, his family should have given him love, comfort, and support first, even if ultimately what they want to say is that HJ should look at things more realistically and get a regular job. The father is being so harsh on him, and I still think it's a combination of jealousy that HJ got the good looks while it skipped him and concern that HJ may be chasing a pipe dream after all. Not sure what to say about the older brother other than that even though he's considered to be the more successful one, he seems to be jealous of HJ, probably because people like HJ better.

16 minutes ago, bluepebbles said:

The noona manager is adorable ! 

I know, right? I'm looking forward to more of her scenes!

• Like 4

Why are you guys so quick to watch the episode?! My emotions reading every posts has been like this: :shocked2::mad::wow::cool:

I'll watch it tonight once I'm done with work. =)

Edit: I finished watching the episode, I'll put my thoughts in a spoiler tag. 

Spoiler

- HJ and JH. I understand that they needed to make JH act like she didn't like HJ because if they did, their relationship may not blossom effortlessly as there might be some added distance between them. Like @stroppyse said, that stinks because HJ can never win. It doesn't matter how hard he tries, he is always one step behind everyone else. I am glad that JH told HH that she's really HJ's fan though. 

- The sponsorship scene, the scene where the mom is buying followers, and the scene where the CEO tried to con another naive child. The entertainment industry is so dirty sometime and I'm glad that they touched on this. Also, I can't take Lee Seung Joon seriously as Charlie Jung because I've seen him in other dramas (usually as a comedic character) so I LOL'd the whole scene. Haha! 

- HH, JU, and HJ. I think it's going to be interesting to see how the three friends' relationship change over the course of the series. JU is dating HH's sister, but won't say anything. HH has the backing of his mom and that has directly impacted HJ's career. Will they lose their innocence like HJ mentioned in the first episode?

- The scene with HJ's family. I was actually talking about this with my friend earlier today. There is so much expectation for someone to do what's best for the family (and their image) and not for the themselves. I'm glad that HJ, even after lots of fail attempts, continue to march towards his dreams. Grandpa is right for saying that you must foster both, if you want them to both succeed. I hope his dad comes around soon. The crying scene between Grandpa and HJ. :cry:

- MJ and HJ. I'm so happy that HJ has someone like MJ who believes and will stand up for him -- all with good intentions too. I hope Jjamppong many many success!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, Tofu said:

- MJ and HJ. I'm so happy that HJ has someone like MJ who believes and will stand up for him -- all with good intentions too. I hope Jjamppong many many success!

There is something rather endearing about Shin Dong Mi, the actress playing MJ. I've seen her in a number of roles where she is either intentionally or inadvertently villainous, but still manages to redeem the character in the end. So, it's nice to watch her in a role where I can root for her from the start. :smile:

Jjamppong fighting! Though, thought it was really cute when she's telling the story to HJ and he comments that it should have been jjajangmyun, of course. LOL One of the age of questions of jjamppong or jjajangmyun makes it onto the screen yet again. 

For anyone new to kdramas, jjamppoing is spicy seafood noodle soup dish and jjajangmyun is a thick black bean sauce noodle dish that is served in Chinese restaurants of Korean descent. Jjajjangmyun was created as a dish by Chinese immigrants in Korea as a low priced offering, vaguely bearing some resemblance to a Chinese dish with a similar sounding name, but differing in most ways. At least that is according to the Jjajangmyun Museum in Inchon, South Korea.

• Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 1

@Tofu - the dialogue of grandpa and Hye Joon always tug my heartstrings. Their conversation are heartfelt specially with the chemistry of the two actors. 

About the sponsorship, I guess this is a risk for them to discuss as early as now. Also it cracks me up about the bold statement of Charlie to Hye Joon. How can he just represent us fangirls ?  :lenny: 

@stroppyse  The jajangmyeon vs jjampong reference was  humble yet striking . I am happy to see their dynamics together because Hye Joon needs someone whom he can call home - could be a person whom he can be safe, comfortable and valued. 

Bogum's update. (It could be his agency is the one updating since he is already enlisted?)

Ratings : Episode 2

Nationwide: 6.802 % 
Seoul: 8.217%

• Like 3

Plop Cat GIFs | Tenor

I very much enjoyed Episode 1, it was an easy and breezy watch. There's also that cinematic quality to this drama that sets it apart from most productions. 

The highlight of the episode for me was Jung-Ha. I had no expectations going in about her character and I was pleasantly surprised by how strong her character and her beliefs came across. Her statements and her independent living situation makes me very curious about how her background and how it came to shape her. It was a surprise as well seeing how docile she had been in the work setting. I know she couldn't have spoken back to her superior and I liked that her spunk broke through when HH asked her to complete his make-up. Because it's such a logical thing to do, to please the client as part of the salon's overall customer service. Her vlog channel was mentioned kind of ramdomly, I wonder whether it will play a more significant role later.

Hye-joon evokes so much sympathy and you just want to keep cheering him not to give up and to continue pursuing his dreams, bleak as his future might seem. Seeing him stand up for himself to his (ex)agency was a great moment! His character and HH seems to be a vehicle for the writer to mount a critique on the industry? It was surprising to me that as a well-known model, he still had to work so many side-jobs to keep afloat. Granted, he wasn't being paid and therefore needed to make ends meet. Maybe Jung-ha can come along with her vlog channel and they can work on it together and start monetising it properly? Haha!

The bromance between HJ and HH is interesting in how clearly they know where each other stand and there seems to be no jealousy or inferiority complex between them. That seems to have transferred to their mothers instead.

On 9/8/2020 at 3:58 PM, Tofu said:

@bluepebbles: Thanks for sharing! HJ is a very stylish person. I want to have $85 in my bank account and still carry a Loewe puzzle bag too. Haha!

Maybe he got it from a job? Haha!

@stroppyse Those make-up artist posters are BEAUTIFUL! I love the colouring of it. Thank you for the translations!

Will have to quickly watch Ep 2 soon to keep up with everyone! I skipped past all the posts for now.

Edited by wallflowersforjane
  • Like 3

Had to post this. In episode 2, Hye Joon goes to a noraebang (singing room) and sings "Tomorrow" by BTS.

YT video credit: BTS NOONA

Translation of dialogue in the scene:

HJ’s friends: Stop it now. Enough already. Stop. Stop going on like that.
HJ: You two ruined a precious moment for me. How often do you have a feel good moment without having to think about anything?
HH: He (pointing to JW) has a knack of speaking and interrupting feel good moments.
JW: Do you… have to say everything like that in order to feel good yourself!
HJ: I like BTS songs the best in the world. Since when I’m listening to them, it makes me want to live to the utmost.

As fans of both PBG and BTS know, PBG is a fan of BTS and close friends with V. So, it was nice to see this scene with a brief mention of BTS and a snippet of PBG karaoke-ing to their song. :love:

• Like 2