Record of Youth 청춘기록 [2020]

I finished this week's episodes yesterday! I watched them in fits and spurts over the week so I am left with random impressions rather than a cohesive whole. Darn you, work week!

I was really surprised that HJ confessed so early, and then even more surprised that the confession quickly shifted to a relationship and to HJ being in love with JH. I believe that HJ is attracted to JH (who wouldn't be, she's awesome!) but the speed of it may cause more harm than good in their respective careers, which are both rather tenuous. (I agree with that ominous feeling @stroppyse). On the other hand, like most have mentioned, it's refreshing for two leads in a drama to come right out and admit they like each other and to get on with it rather than stringing it along.

I was disappointed at how long Min-Jae procrastinated to inform HJ about how they had been sabotaged by slimy ex-manager Lee. Watching the news travel from one person to the other made me really anxious about how HJ would find out about it. I am not sure if him finally hearing it from MJ is the end of it. On the other hand, I was also glad for them to be learning this lesson early. It feels like a premonition to me seeing how the travel of information about HJ's mini-series paralleled the mass spread of Park Do-ha's allerged assault of his fan. Min-jae will definitely have to learn how to do damage control like ex-Manager Lee, first with her charge and how to handle the public.

The moment between the mothers was another moment that stood out to me. I think @40somethingahjumma captured very well how they may be representing the shifts in Korean society. These two women are an interesting study in contrast. Despite the outward perception that HH's mother is wealthy and has the world at her feet, it is actually HJ's mother who has the autonomy of choice and decision. HH's mother is prideful and can't bring herself to do certain things but HJ's mother is able to receive the hand-me-down clothes and to be able to wear it without feeling that she is demeaning herself.  Both mothers look out for their children and are very much involved in how they are leading it they go about it in vastly differently ways - one controlling and the other supportive. And while HH's mother is undoubtedly devoted to her children, HH and HN are very fond of HJ's mother as well. I can't imagine what HH's mother feels when she sees how openly affectionately they are to a housekeeper.

And lastly, Gyeong-jun is going get cheated, isn't he? :poliWeird:

• Like 3
  • Party! 1

The kisses! I'm dying from the sweetness of the kiss scenes! I can't seem to do any screen grabs to post, though. Netflix strikes again. Oh well.

The only thing about this drama is that PBG seems to be playing himself as the character HJ. I mean, HJ is a charismatic, thoughtful, well-spoken, well-mannered guy who wants to make it as an actor without backstabbing anyone and being true to himself. That sounds like the person that we've come to know PBG as, doesn't it? I mean, HJ could be PBG back when he was trying to make it in the acting biz, right?

• Like 1

Let's walk on flower path Hye Jun-a!! :ValentineBulba:

I hope Hye Jun and Jung Ha ship will safely sail. Hae Hyo seems to give up his feelings for Jung Ha. Or maybe not?

At the end of episode 7, I have the similar expression with HJ's grandfather and mom. Happy and excited to see Hye Jun nailed the scenes. Although the look from HH's mom and Tae Su doesn't give me any good feelings. It looks like they would do something bad... 

• Like 1

Currently Watching List:

K-drama: The Real Has Come, See You in My 19th Life 

K-variety: 

19 minutes ago, LaLa said:

At the end of episode 7, I have the similar expression with HJ's grandfather and mom. Happy and excited to see Hye Jun nailed the scenes. Although the look from HH's mom and Tae Su doesn't give me any good feelings. It looks like they would do something bad... 

They're taking it personally that HJ is getting a little recognition for his talent and charisma. I think TS doesn't like it that he couldn't get HJ's career to go anywhere when he was HJ's manager. And, HH's mother doesn't understand why all of her schemes and payoffs, spending all that money isn't able to get HH bigger, better roles. Seriously sour grapes, but I also think they are going to try to sabotage HJ.

22 minutes ago, LaLa said:

I hope Hye Jun and Jung Ha ship will safely sail. Hae Hyo seems to give up his feelings for Jung Ha. Or maybe not?

I was actually thinking that the love triangle was over when HH decides not to say anything to JH. He's clearly not over his feelings for JH, but I didn't want to think of HH as a bad guy, which he would be if he went after his best mate's girlfriend when that girlfriend is also totally into his best friend.

However, it seems that HH may go with HJ's ex-gf, at least in the preview? That wouldn't be as bad since HJ and she are done, but given how badly she treated HJ, it would still suck as far as their friendship goes.

I don't think I could be polite much less date someone who treated one of my friends poorly.

• Like 3
8 hours ago, stroppyse said:

They're taking it personally that HJ is getting a little recognition for his talent and charisma. I think TS doesn't like it that he couldn't get HJ's career to go anywhere when he was HJ's manager. And, HH's mother doesn't understand why all of her schemes and payoffs, spending all that money isn't able to get HH bigger, better roles. Seriously sour grapes, but I also think they are going to try to sabotage HJ.

Geez TS that man is the one who scammed HJ of his money. They have signed agreement but still he didn't like that HJ is successful with his own talent. I watched clips of ep 8 and he tried to make HJ's image or probably MJ's image bad with the press. 

About HH's mother, I agree that she might be furious that all of her tricks to help HH's career doesn't work well. But I don't think she would act so low to sabotage HJ's career. Paying lots of people and buy them to choose HH is probably what she will do more in the future. Although I don't know what will happen when HH finally found out that most of his work done not because purely of his talent, but because of his mom. T_T

I think for next week episodes, we will focus about HJ's growth as an actor and JH's choice to become an independent make-up artist. I really hope JH will leave the shop because her senior is really a bad one. 

• Like 2

Currently Watching List:

K-drama: The Real Has Come, See You in My 19th Life 

K-variety: 

2 hours ago, LaLa said:

I think for next week episodes, we will focus about HJ's growth as an actor and JH's choice to become an independent make-up artist. I really hope JH will leave the shop because her senior is really a bad one. 

Yes, her salon sunbae is a very petty, mean-spirited old woman. I can only imagine that she must have had many disappointments in her life to insist on always the worst interpretation of things. And, she hates that JH is younger and people like her better. In episode 7, the way she warns off the other assistant, saying that if the assistant continues to be friendly with JH, that she will start being mean to the assistant as well, really was a testament to how awful a person she is. It showed that she is aware that she is harassing JH, and she's telling another person that she's willing to harass her as well for being friendly with JH. Wow. She deserves all the failure and disappointments that she may have in her life with her mean, petty ways and world view.

Haven't watched episode 8 yet, but I'm hoping that JH and HJ remain tight, even with whatever comes. I know that they are going to experience stress in their relationship, but both of them are loyal, thoughtful people who communicate with each other. It's refreshing to see a functional, supportive relationship in a kdrama versus relationships where one person keeps hiding things from the other person for their own good or whatever other bits of stupidity passes for acts of love.

• Like 2

Read comments on some blog post about the show, and the impression I'm getting is that there seems to be a lot of dissatisfaction about the chemistry (or lack thereof) between PBG and PSD. I'm not quite sure what I think about that yet though - I think they seem very sweet, but I can't say I feel any palpable attraction between them. 

And what's with that scene where Hyejun sits awkwardly on Jeongha's bed, with her seemingly equally awkward with him?  

• Insightful 1

Looks like the "bed" scene is sparking a lot of conversation elsewhere. Hahaha... They looked awkward and uncomfortable with each other, the kind of look you give when there's some negative tension to resolve after a quarrel or a difficult decision to make. I get the feeling they will break up, cos they came together very early in the show. I reckon as he gets more popular, the very korean thing about celebrity "dating scandals" will come up, and perhaps for her sake (so that she does not get hate from his fans), he will suggest a breakup. Though it seems more likely, personality-wise, she will ask for it, giving that as the reason. Meanwhile, I hope that lousy talent management director gets his just desserts somehow. I reckon too Minjae should have all that bad accounts and conning kept away somewhere as evidence against Taesu. Afterall, didn't she say she had a lot of dirt on him? Meanwhile, Hye-hyo and family... they continue to annoy me. His sister too. And that lousy ex-girlfriend. It's hard to think of her as the baddie though. She was such a girl-next-door cop in Beautiful Love, Wonderful Life, together with Hae-na (they made a reference to that in the show... hahaha...)

• Like 1
  • Insightful 2

🅡🅔🅒🅞🅡🅓 🅞🅕 🅨🅞🅤🅣🅗

𝕗𝕚𝕝𝕞𝕚𝕟𝕘 𝕝𝕠𝕔𝕒𝕥𝕚𝕠𝕟

Episode 8: The Dancing Scene

Shrine of Our Lady of the Holy Rosary of Namyang

e4a755fbc0d93762a63dcf0f2fc679a7.jpg

This one is again located in Suwon Gyeonggi-do , particularly near Hwaseong Fortress. It will be a good sidetrip after having a hike in Paldalmun or just simply explore the Hwaseong Haenggung Palace (화성행궁). It is one among the pilgrims destinations in Korea.

남양 성모 성지 - 4 :: 태평한 바보

How to get here : 

Check Moovit App

If you are coming from Hwaseong (there are different gates , so it will be tricky what bus stop will be your starting point) . If coming from Paldalmun, there are buses located at Burger King area, and you can choose from the moovit app what buses are assigned in that stop. 

If coming from Seoul,  go to Subway Line 4 - Ansan Station. From there , you can choose to ride bus no 737 or 990 . 

• Like 3

Plop Cat GIFs | Tenor

I think that as HJ finds fame while JH struggles and keeps her struggles to herself, they'll start becoming farther and farther apart, and not even be able to spend much time together.

I don't think HJ is fully aware of how much JH is being tormented her her evil co-worker, nor that JH is planning to sell her apartment so that she can use the money to set up her own small salon. JH said it in today's episode that she doesn't feel it's right to drag the person that she loves into her own messy affairs, but she has it so wrong. If you can't share it with the person who loves you and cares about you, then who can you share it with.

I see a break up coming up, and not sure whether there will be resolution between HJ and JH at the end any more. Rather, I see JH proclaiming herself forever HJ's fan even as he finally becomes a star and goes on his own way. Ugh.

As for the chemistry between JH and HJ, it's not the hot and heavy passion of other couples, especially for a couple who are as young, healthy, and attractive as they are. Not sure why there is so much restraint in their scenes. The only thing I could think is that despite their honesty with each other, that they are still afraid to fully open up to each other about their individual struggles. JH has already admitted to having attachment issues due to her relationship with her parents. HJ hasn't said much, but he also has daddy issues and is used to making his decisions by himself for what he determines is best not only for him but his family.

If they do end up back together, I think their relationship will become closer and more passionate than they are at this moment in the drama, but we'll have to see.

• Like 4

I feel bad that I’m quite gleeful about Hyejun doing better than Hyehyo. This is proving to be a very nice feel-good story — underdog wins! It’s a very simple, easy going story. No major upheavals, no major plot twists, age old story of hard work and talent eventually pays off... that sort of drama. It was even nice to see that despite all, Hyejun’s older brother is still indeed an older brother who will step in the defend his younger brother when time time calls for it. Even with the coming Charlie Jung scandal, you can imagine nothing catastrophically major would happen. 

All that said, perhaps I do still wish for something a wee bit edgier. The relationship between Hye-jun and Jeong-ha lack passion, Hye-hyo seems too passively accepting of his parents’ meddling (perhaps that’s exactly what it is to be), Doha is quite 2D and seemingly doomed to peter out into oblivion... even the relationship between Jin-u and Hye-na isn’t coming close to causing real tension with Hye-hyo. Everything’s quite simple and placid. We’re at episode 10 already. Is this how we’re planning to cruise to the finish line? I guess youthful records aren’t quite so exciting after all?

• Like 2
  • Insightful 2

🅡🅔🅒🅞🅡🅓 🅞🅕 🅨🅞🅤🅣🅗

𝕗𝕚𝕝𝕞𝕚𝕟𝕘 𝕝𝕠𝕔𝕒𝕥𝕚𝕠𝕟

Episode 9-10: The King Returns scenes

Mungyeong Saenae Open Film Set [문경새재촬영장 (오픈세트장)]

ACtC-3fOaA8crJ8Nd8su_f-vAeQzs0hxmijUB_bcACtC-3fHiEexQ_xEZs0h6wXcjCxxe8ipWAHunM56

The location is a sageuk filming set located in North Gyeongsang Province (Gyeongsangbuk-do/경상북도), primarily used for KBS sageuk (period) dramas since its opening in 2008. It consists mostly of various kinds of village set-ups, such as thatched houses, traditional hanoks and city pavilions. An admission fee applies for visitors.

Spoiler

It is located in Sangcho village [Sangcho-ri/상초리], in Mungyeong’s township of the same name [Mungyeong-eup/문경읍], around 2 hours and 20 mins by car from Seoul.

Address
932/1039 Saejae-ro, Mungyeong-eup, Mungyeong-si, Gyeongsangbuk-do, South Korea
경상북도 문경시 문경읍 새재로 932/1039
(경상북도 문경시 문경읍 상초리 288-1)
Geolocation: 36.771097, 128.073937

Getting here
If going by public transport from Seoul, take a 2 hour 10 min bus ride from the Express Bus Terminal (고속터미널) to Jeomchon Intercity and Express Bus Terminal (점촌시외고속버스터미널). At the Home Plus bus stop (홈플러스 정류장), about 173m away from Jeomchon terminal, take the number 21 bus for 35 stops (~1 hr 16 min ride) to Mungyeong Saenae Provinical Park bus stop (문경새재도립공원 정류장).

Note that the open set would still be a 1.5km distance away from the bus stop, however; so best to take a taxi from Jeomcheon Terminal, if available.

source

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Plop Cat GIFs | Tenor

While I'm still watching this show and it's mildly entertaining, I do find aspects of this show rather random. The romance is cute and comfortable but lacks a certain zing. There's certainly not enough sizzle to fry eggs over the car bonnet but their support of each other  through the tough times works for me. I am, however,  concerned that Jeong-ha is gradually shutting out Hye-jun from some aspect of her life as she struggles to make it while he rises in stature. It's understandable although the red flags are inevitably rearing their heads.

It was then it occurred to me that this show is fundamentally an hour sitcom that flirts with melodramatic elements. It explains the randomness that I feel and the barbed banter within the families. That's the show's quirk. I accept that this is a slice of life drama which contributes to that feeling that the drama is piecemeal but that's fundamentally a question of personal preference about style and approach. I guess it could be a flaw in terms of engagement but that's in the realm of the subjective.

I'm thrilled to bits that Hye-jun is finally doing well under Min-jae's management. But after complaining at the start that it took him too long to get the place where he has arrived at this point, I'm now wondering if his star isn't rising a bit too quickly. I suppose the show is saying that he was always talented and charismatic and what he needed was his breakthrough moment which was his role as the young doc in Gateway. The stars have finally aligned for him: A good manager who is devoted to his career. He's found himself a nice girl. The meaty roles are coming in and he's finally living his dream. To top it off, he gets his first drama award. I'm ecstatic. But concerned about what stardom will do to him.

As far as Hae-ho is concerned... I don't have much to say. It's admirable that there's no jealousy so far but I don't feel any investment in his success or failure. I do pity him for having such a bossy mother (who means well and she's somewhat neglected, living vicariously through her kids) and an insufferable prig  for a father.

I'm sure that underneath that perpetual scowl that Dad wears around Hye-jun and Grandpa, he does love him. But does he have to be such a ridiculous caricature? Does he have nothing good to say to either of them... EVER? Especially when they are making strides? The man is a parody of something. A Korean stereotype of parochialism perhaps?

• Like 5

Currently Watching: Queen of Tears, In Blossom

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

@40somethingahjumma: I agreed with everything you said. Jeong-ha is less expressive with all the things that she's going through. Since she's been alone for much of her life, I don't think she knows how to rely on others. It was something her father even brought up. It seems like she's made an attempt to reach out to Hye-jun (I remember a scene where she texted him but he was already asleep). I don't remember seeing anything come out of that like Hye-jun reaching back out to her or Jeong-ha going over why she called. There were some sections I skipped, did Jeong-ha ever told Hye-jun that her mom visited or even that her dad had stayed the night with her? I know she told Hye-jun that her dad was helping her keep her place, but I can't remember if they had any conversations before that about her family besides her not being raised around her dad. As Hye-jun's popularity continue to rise (or maybe not based off the preview for next week's episode), I think distance will be created among them. 

@bluepebbles: I know! I feel like he is just bad news all around. =(

By the way, seeing the scenes of Park Bo Gum in The King Returns, I really miss seeing him in a sageuk-type film. Maybe he'll participate in one when he comes back from the military. =)

• Like 2

Woah! I wasn't expecting that ending of Ep 10 with Charlie Jung! I hope everything begins to bubble up faster and move us towards resolution. I have been enjoying the episodes but when I read @gilaswan's comment, it does hit home that it's Ep 10 and most of the narrative threads still have a long way to go and six episodes may not be enough to wrap them up satisfactorily. Most of all, Jeong-ha. Her story has been rather stagnant for a couple of episodes now, and I am not sure if the show has time left to properly delve into her issues? I am frankly a little disappointed because I thought JH had so much potential.

What I like best about this drama so far is the depiction of family in a celebrity's rise to stardom and its impact. It's a little peek behind the curtain for us. HJ's mother and grandfather continue to delight and it was so touching to watch them be overcome with pride at HJ's rise to stardom. His father is such a stereotypical gruff Asian Dad but to know he does have quiet pride for HJ (watching the drama secretly) was nice to know. He just can't seem to find the right words for it. GJ hasn't always been the best brother but I do believe in his belief that he supports HJ in his heart and now web defence (waiting to see how that might backfire though). Although HJ struggled on his journey alone, the support structure he had at home contributed to his values, and to his success.

I didn't expect to enjoy the family scenes so much. But the romance between HJ and JH isn't taking as centre a stage as I initially expected. I enjoy the pairing and their quiet moments as a couple - taking a stroll, having meals and relaxing at home. I don't get the impression that JH is not telling HJ of what is going in her life. Perhaps she doesn't update him immediately but he seems to be aware of what is going on. I don't see them breaking up (for now) because there doesn't seem to be any fundamental conflict between them. Ji-ah will certainly try her best, I suppose. But her attempts are so laughable at this point. HH is also not much of competition and I would rather seem him try to deal with his own career and family issues than try to compete for JH's affections. She doesn't seem to be interested and aware of him, at any rate. 

Park Do-ha cracks me up! I was in stitches at that scene where he was taking photos for his IG. He's clearly meant to be the jerk of the show but when he let slip how he came from a similar family background as HJ, is lonely and looking for friends, and is not as confident as the image he puts out to the world - it makes me sympathise with him and I wonder if he could actually be a more likeable person if he hadn't achieved so much success so early on.

• Like 2