The Devil Punisher 天巡者 [TW Drama 2020]

JenL

@Lynne As a loyal T-drama watcher of many years, I love a lot of the actors for their good cast chemistry and charismatic personalities, but I've been waiting for them to be less cheesy in their stories for ages. This past year has been a huge leap :CharmanderYay:, so just glad they're keeping with the cheese-free (or cheese-lite) diet, even in fantasy where there's more room for cheese! Also loving that poster!! It just looks so cool.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Currently watching: Doctor Slump // Queen of Tears // The Impossible Heir

Current Obsessions: ❤ Lee Jae wook // Park Hyung Sik // Yoon Park

Podcast: These Dramatic Days

20 hours ago, Lynne said:

@JenL You know, I was just talking with a friend yesterday... Mike He once act as a devilish bad boy in “Devil beside You” and now he’s a devil/demon hunter... haha.... 

Devil Besides You was probably my second Mike He drama after Love Contract. I can't believe both came out 15 and 16 years ago, respectively. I feel incredibly old thinking back to those days when I had to rely on really bad English translations. :cry:

I was going to watch the episode last night but got distracted. I'll have to save this for tomorrow or closer to the weekend because then I know episode 2 will be out on Sunday. Haha! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The Devil Punisher will have a fan meeting tomorrow for Halloween at 1:30pm Taipei time - They normally livestream it over Youtube but it's hard to tell with this series since Netflix have started to block videos related to content they distribute. It really annoys me since they don't sub all the BTS - they should leave those videos so that people can discover the show and watch it on Netflix. But if interested, I'd just check DramaSETTV's youtube around that time.

Sdb71n8.jpg

• Like 2

@Lynne I know! It's so annoying to have Netflix block stuff. But they seem to have paused recently, so hoping they;re learning not to do it? I've been watching the clips on SETTV's Facebook page.

For those not familiar with Chinese, have translated the Halloween fan meet: https://thesedramaticdays.blogspot.com/2020/11/fan-meet-devil-punisher-holds-halloween.html

2855926-PH.jpg

Edited by JenL
  • Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

I'm done with Ep 1 & 2 awww I enjoy this drama....

There's just something charming about Ivy as Meng Po and Mike as Zong Kui...

Mike He is still sooo :wow2:

Anyway.... sigh.. I teared up a lil at ep 2. 

Obsession even when you're alive is not a healthy thing. Sometimes it can help you to be better, sometimes, it can drag you down... Sigh... 

• Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 1
1 hour ago, Lynne said:

I'm done with Ep 1 & 2 awww I enjoy this drama....

There's just something charming about Ivy as Meng Po and Mike as Zong Kui...

Mike He is still sooo :wow2:

Anyway.... sigh.. I teared up a lil at ep 2. 

Obsession even when you're alive is not a healthy thing. Sometimes it can help you to be better, sometimes, it can drag you down... Sigh... 

Hahaha...wow, this is the first time I've seen you watch something in real time @Lynne ...I'm impressed!

Yesss!! I'm really liking this drama too. I think Mike He and Ivy Shao have really good Chemistry. Mike has the best expressions - he can give his co-stars that intense look of love. I'm not sure how they resist him :laugh::BulbaOWO::hearties: He also has the best smirk.

Awww, tearing up - was it the ghost's story?

I'm looking forward to the little boy's story...kind of creepy that his father is still there in the house with him :lettalKWA:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, JenL said:

Hahaha...wow, this is the first time I've seen you watch something in real time @Lynne ...I'm impressed!

AHAHAAHHA... Who can resist Mike He? LOL

15 hours ago, JenL said:

Awww, tearing up - was it the ghost's story?

I'm looking forward to the little boy's story...kind of creepy that his father is still there in the house with him :lettalKWA:

Yes! The female ghost story. What a sad way to die... at least we gain peace after knowing its not her husband that harms her.

Aahh the little boy's story... yess.. Looking forward to it too..

I'm kinda enjoying this episodic ghost / demon story that's been going while slowly piecing the plot behind MengPo's lost memory..

Btw that professor that smiles alot? He's weird! I wonder if he'll end up as a good guy or a bad guy.. LOL 

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Lynne said:

AHAHAAHHA... Who can resist Mike He? LOL

I guess the answer is no one....even you are able to watch 1 episode per week to see his pretty face :laugh:

6 hours ago, Lynne said:

I'm kinda enjoying this episodic ghost / demon story that's been going while slowly piecing the plot behind MengPo's lost memory..

Btw that professor that smiles alot? He's weird! I wonder if he'll end up as a good guy or a bad guy.. LOL 

I hope they have lots of different ghost stories and maybe do something original with it. On reddit, a few people said they think it's too much like Hotel Del Luna. I don't think it's as much alike as I thought it'd be, but I guess episodic ghost stories always feel a little similar? I hope they'll use the legends to make the story stand out more in terms of ghost hunting. Have you ever seen Hotel Del Luna and do you think it's similar?

The Professor who smiles a lot is weird. I don't really care for him as a second lead...but I think he'll be magical in some day too since it looks like in a trailer he knows about the Ghost King. Not sure if he'll be good or bad though! :poliWeird:

• Like 2

@JenL actually I never watch Hotel DeLuna.. lol...but yeah.. Ghost stories can be similar... I think its fine...

I was hoping the drama will also delve further to the underworld story... I remember from the poster you've shared before there's also a portion of their past lifes... i'm curious about it too.. :wow2:

13 minutes ago, JenL said:

The Professor who smiles a lot is weird. I don't really care for him as a second lead...but I think he'll be magical in some day too since it looks like in a trailer he knows about the Ghost King. Not sure if he'll be good or bad though! :poliWeird:

Yeah.. I think I see a scene where he held a fu/talisman in his finger... so I think he might be magical.. we'll see... 

• Like 1
On 11/15/2020 at 12:03 AM, Lynne said:

@JenL the ghost father story is not finished in ep 3... I'm curious how it will end for him...  seems like his death is a normal accident right? the reason he still lingers is for his son... I wonder what else is going on... 

And btw.... that rich kid ends up pretty cute haha.... 

I finally caught up to episode 4 last night (lately been swinging back to K-drama more). I'm liking the sadness of these stories - I suppose it's normal for ghost stories. I found it weird they could leave such a small kid by himself though! But glad they got justice for the guy in episode 4!

But I'm interested in the creepy girl who doesn't seem to like Enxi...she looked like the ghost floating behind them when they did that haunted house live stream?

Also, the character I like the most surprisingly is actually that rich guy who use to bully grandma, but now seems to be helpful to the main characters (he helps bake bread now and helps them with the insurance case) and has a crush on Enxi? He paid her school fees!! So he doesn't seem so bad :laugh:

The drink that Ivy makes in the cafe - a purple looking soda looked good :wow: Made me want a fancy drink!

• Like 2

@JenL you're not alone... I've only watched ep 4 today..... :laugh:

On 11/21/2020 at 11:57 AM, JenL said:

I'm liking the sadness of these stories - I suppose it's normal for ghost stories. I found it weird they could leave such a small kid by himself though! But glad they got justice for the guy in episode 4!

Yes... agreed! Nice resolution there.... we finally know why the driver still lingers aside for his small son....

And Ouyang Kai.. what a cutiepie...... LOL...... he's a good person.. altho its hard to believe someone like him could exist in the current society... Philanthropist and a little silly.. LOL.. I like him hanging out with Enxi and Zhong Kui....  

The red dress girl... wasn't she alive at one point.. how did she suddenly became a ghost??? I'm curious to know... perhaps she took over Yao Muching's body? Ouyang Kai comments in two occasion that she seems to change into a different person...

"Behind all injustuces are grievances waiting to be uncovered" this is a nice quote to close EP. 4.

• Like 2

Done watching ep 5 last night... LOL... i sneakily downloaded the episode at work and watch it after I went home LOL

Anyway... is this drama a comedy LOL.... the interactions between the hell gods are so funny.... LOL.... And aww finally some improvement on Zhong Kui and Meng Po.... 

Altho I would like to be honest.. I find the the romance approach are more like teenagers at best.... even the humor between the gods.. it feels a little weird looking at these adult people acting like teenagers LOL.. but maybe this is T drama style???? 

Anyway... did anyone scream when the lady in red ghost suddenly appear infront of Enxi??? I almost did hahahaha..... 

And Yes... Proffesor Lu has shown us that he can handle ghost possessions.. lets see what's instore with him...

Ahh... I wish there's more of Ouyang Kai's interaction last night... he's funny.....   

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

This drama keeps showing up on my Netflix recommended list, so I've become a bit curious about it after reading the synopsis. However, the posts here mention that there is a lot of sadness in this drama. Is it sad? The synopsis read as if there would be a lot of humor in the drama. Btw, also not a fan of Goblin and can be a bit picky about fantasy elements, so is this a drama that you all would recommend?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • 1 month later...

@Lynne Are you still watching? LOL I haven't updated on this thread for the longest time! :psweatduck:

But I also just put this drama on pause since I ended up swinging back into watching live K-dramas quite heavily and 2 episodes a week is so hard to follow :idk: So I was only up to Episode 5 for like a month or so!

Episode 5-7

- Ghost in red dress was kind of lame to honest - I can't believe she just had a crush on Ou Yang Kai...but I'm glad she didn't commit suicide for him. :lenny: I liked the cameo by Lyan.

-The piano playing mum ghost in episode 7 was more scary to be honest...haha an Asian parent back from the dead to force you to play piano :laugh:

-The best character from this show is Ou Yang Kai to be honest. I think he carries the humour...and at first he was a bit of a bully, but now I like how he's so warm for Enxi and has a lot of respect for Cheng nan....in fact he's pretty helpful and nice for a rich guy :SquirtleSquadCool: :lol:

- Found it a bit annoying Enxi kept trying to set up Professor Lu and Hsin Yu, but seems she has crush on Professor herself

- I like the sweetness between Ivy Shao and Mike He. I think Episode 5 started to be more development between these 2. On a shallow level, they just look so pretty together. But I think their chemistry is also quite lovely even though the story is a bit silly at times...when they look into each other's eyes, it's quite electric :BulbaOWO: :hearties:

-Alsoooo....that evil ghost who destroyed the bridge.....can't believe he is Mrs Wu, the old bakery lady's son!

On 11/24/2020 at 1:04 PM, Lynne said:

Anyway... is this drama a comedy LOL.... the interactions between the hell gods are so funny.... LOL.... And aww finally some improvement on Zhong Kui and Meng Po.... 

Altho I would like to be honest.. I find the the romance approach are more like teenagers at best.... even the humor between the gods.. it feels a little weird looking at these adult people acting like teenagers LOL.. but maybe this is T drama style???? 

Hahaha, yeah, it's like the TW style. Sometimes the comedy is a bit too silly...but sometimes it's funny. I like the Ou Yang Kai humour...but some of the other humour is not so funny :poliWeird:

On 11/24/2020 at 1:04 PM, Lynne said:

Proffesor Lu has shown us that he can handle ghost possessions.. lets see what's instore with him...

I'm not a fan of Professor Lu btw. He just seemed clingy....and the actor is not a great actor, very stiff...but I guess he's new. People says he looks like the actor Bii...but I don't think so :thinking:

On 12/4/2020 at 3:40 AM, stroppyse said:

This drama keeps showing up on my Netflix recommended list, so I've become a bit curious about it after reading the synopsis. However, the posts here mention that there is a lot of sadness in this drama. Is it sad? The synopsis read as if there would be a lot of humor in the drama. Btw, also not a fan of Goblin and can be a bit picky about fantasy elements, so is this a drama that you all would recommend?

Sorry I missed this post from ages ago @stroppyse :PiplupCry:...I ended up holding this on pause and only catching up now! Not sure if you ever checked it out or are still curious, but I'll just answer in case anyway. This drama has a series of ghost stories, so I guess some stories are sad...but I think it's not too deeply sad - K-dramas cut deeper in comparison. The humour of Taiwanese dramas can be quite slapstick though. This drama is less like Goblin (except for the way Mike He looks)...and more like Hotel Del Luna in the ghost element. But TW dramas have very little budget for special effects...so not sure how you would feel about that aspect of it :laugh:

• Like 2

Episode 8-9

-Enxi is like the most annoying toxic friend I've seen in awhile. Those friends who are always bossing people around and trying to match-make others against their will is so annoying...not to mention she's so mean to Ou Yang Kai and is a snob to everyone except Professor Lu who doesn't even like her...also why is she trying so hard to set up Hsin Yu with the Professor when she likes him herself? Then she gets jealous when Hsin Yu goes to get help from the Professor??? And she purposefully told Mrs Wu about her dead son!!! :pandarage2::pandarage2::pandarage2:

-The story has good ghost story concepts, but some of the scenes  things don't make complete sense (ie. if there's a video on the internet making people lose their souls when they watch it, how would it be going viral???) :ChikoWTF:

-But....there's lots of swoon worthy moments between Ivy Shao and Mike He. They are just so aesthetic and I think they are such a pretty pairing. It's been ages since I watched a Mike He drama, but he still has such an intense gaze of love towards his on-screen co-star partners :heart::wow: And they're giving them lots of cute lovingly gazing scenes together....

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/25/2021 at 3:37 PM, Lynne said:

@JenL I haven't continue this drama after the last time I posted hahaha.

But totally agree, OuyangKai is a delight.... he's a really fun character.

Hahaha...oh well there's always too many dramas to watch and I sometimes let some series drift too! I've actually caught up now and I enjoy this drama...not the best thing I've seen, but I have a real soft spot for Ivy and Mike being paired together because they're just so pretty :wow: Also the chemistry is good, and the ideas...I just feel like they've been too ambitious sometimes and imagined some good ideas but couldn't quite pull it off scriptwriting or SFX wise. But it's been a fun light watch anyway.

11 hours ago, NiteWalker said:

Kingone Wang will appear as a guest in tomorrow episodes i guess :cool:

Oooh Thanks for the update! I'm like 1 or 2 episodes behind so don't know what character he'll play :thinking: This series has had some major cameos. They also had Ivelyn Lee from Murphy's Law of Love as a cameo earlier too.

• Haha 1
  • Star Struck 1

51 minutes ago, JenL said:

Oooh Thanks for the update! I'm like 1 or 2 episodes behind so don't know what character he'll play :thinking: This series has had some major cameos. They also had Ivelyn Lee from Murphy's Law of Love as a cameo earlier too.

i like all this major cameo, it felt like at least all this stars did maintain a lvl of connection in between them despite lack of get together or maybe they arent just as tight :)

• Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 1