10 hours ago, movingwheel said:

@mademoiselle @ktcjdrama @Alice Wonderland trust me I tried, i really really tried but after 2nd episode, i give up... The most important part of watching a drama or anything for that matter is being entertained,,, and i am not !! I will probably still watch it but at my own leisure.... this is torture .

I did try last night, not even half episode I fell asleep. And I retried this morning, I still couldn't get into it. I think this kind of story will do if it's made as movie but this will be in 2 seasons. 😆 I'm not sure either.

Well, lemme try later once I'm in the mood. 

Edited by Alice Wonderland
  • Like 2
  • Insightful 1
10 hours ago, movingwheel said:

@mademoiselle @ktcjdrama @Alice Wonderland trust me I tried, i really really tried but after 2nd episode, i give up... The most important part of watching a drama or anything for that matter is being entertained,,, and i am not !! I will probably still watch it but at my own leisure.... this is torture .

I haven't watched. I most likely going to wait till all 8 episodes out and binge it in one go. Can you tell us why you couldn't enjoy it? Why is it a torture? That era was too sad? Too heavy...?

• Like 3

@mademoiselle don’t even think about binging it…. The whole meaning of binging will be lost… too sad… too colourless and way too heavy… although I was aware that it would be like this but then again as @Alice Wonderlandpointed out that as a movie , its fine but as a series we need real dedication to watch it. Don’t get me wrong , Story telling , editing , lighting , cinematography are top notch but this is not for entertainment. The story is too real and koh hansu is a man with questionable morality. Although I was aware of it.

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

Currently watching

K-Drama :  

C-Drama :  Road Home

Dramabeans's First Impression for E1

Thanks @movingwheel

I see. I guess it calls for a special day where one is in the mood to watch it then. I think I would still binge it because rather than being sad once a week, maybe it's best to be sad about it over one weekend 😅. I'm not sure if I'll like LMH's role either but that's ok too, I don't always love all the roles he play and I acknowledge his wishes to break out from being typecast too.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, movingwheel said:

@Alice Wonderland so true !!! Yet i am still trying to be true to my fan girlish behaviour towards lee min ho , just trying to force myself to watch it.😀

I dont think I want to force myself if the story doesn't maie me impressed that much. There are many to complain just even from the opening dance songs they made, so horrible, 🤣

@mademoiselle I ffd through ep 3 less than in 5 mins and I come to learn that Ko Hansu is a man of three daughters and he cheated with Sunja???! How I hate a cheater character! Actually the story is quite telling about the life of those people in thst era and this does reminds me of Memoirs of Geisha. I think even I like LMH, I dont think I'd like to continue this, I'm not in the mood for story like this,  I think I prefer him to do more romcom than this serious roles, hahaha. Well, just my thoughts, this is surely not to be the best review but you can try yourself and see how it is.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Alice Wonderland said:

I dont think I want to force myself if the story doesn't maie me impressed that much. There are many to complain just even from the opening dance songs they made, so horrible, 🤣

I thought the opening theme was weird given the nature of the actual story. Feels like it was trying to appeal to the foreigners by making it look "light" and "fun"...?

1 hour ago, Alice Wonderland said:

@mademoiselle I ffd through ep 3 less than in 5 mins and I come to learn that Ko Hansu is a man of three daughters and he cheated with Sunja???! How I hate a cheater character! Actually the story is quite telling about the life of those people in thst era and this does reminds me of Memoirs of Geisha. I think even I like LMH, I dont think I'd like to continue this, I'm not in the mood for story like this,  I think I prefer him to do more romcom than this serious roles, hahaha. Well, just my thoughts, this is surely not to be the best review but you can try yourself and see how it is.

Oh, I thought you knew Hansu was a married man already. I dislike polygamy or cheating as much as you too but we probably have to adjust ourselves and not apply our modernised moral/teaching since at that time, men are allowed to have multiple wives/lovers (Hmph!). Hansu probably married the Japanese (I think?) wife out of obligation or duty because of the yakuza group he's in, not because he loves that woman.

Yeah I'll check it out and see whether it really was worth the buzz. My TL has been bombarded by articles and snippets of praises on the drama/LMH lately however when it comes to him, I much rather be the judge of it myself.

Spoiler

Out of curiosity, I went to S forum to see how other Minoz feel about it. Looks like they all like the drama. Hahaha.

• Haha 3

@Alice Wonderland i did read the book and i knew that hansu was cheating so its okay since i knew. In future , he will have prostate cancer too, only FYI😂😂 i am with you. I an passing this one. They are calling it best  k drama of 2022. I don’t know what to say 🤷🏼‍♀️
that opening credit and their dance did not match with the storyline… they probably wanted to show funky side or rather heavy story line but i am not amused…. Not even one bit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Currently watching

K-Drama :  

Despite really, really not being a LMH fan, I've somehow ended up watching this as my sister was interested. I guess I was also curious because I knew this was a very popular book quite a few years back but I've never read it.:heiboi:

On 3/27/2022 at 2:41 PM, mademoiselle said:

I haven't watched. I most likely going to wait till all 8 episodes out and binge it in one go. Can you tell us why you couldn't enjoy it? Why is it a torture? That era was too sad? Too heavy...?

I think it's a matter of taste. I don't mind this one, but I think it reads more like a film than your average Kdrama. It just seems quite cinematic and the story is heavier than most. There's also the cross-culture, corss-generation elements - sometimes they speak in English or Japanese and sometimes they're in the past or the future :idk:

On 3/27/2022 at 4:28 PM, mademoiselle said:

I'm not sure if I'll like LMH's role either but that's ok too, I don't always love all the roles he play and I acknowledge his wishes to break out from being typecast too.

Hahaha I on the otherhand think it's interesting that he;s finally not playing some princely character, but a villain. I still feel like he's kinda stiff as a villain though. I need some more evilness in his acting

:popcorn:

On 3/27/2022 at 8:00 PM, mademoiselle said:

I thought the opening theme was weird given the nature of the actual story. Feels like it was trying to appeal to the foreigners by making it look "light" and "fun"...?

On 3/27/2022 at 8:34 PM, movingwheel said:

that opening credit and their dance did not match with the storyline… they probably wanted to show funky side or rather heavy story line but i am not amused…. Not even one bit.

Hahaha I feel attacked. I like the opening :laugh::laugh::laugh:. I think they're just trying to show the retro vibes. But I know the story will be much heavier than that.

• Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

Currently watching: Doctor Slump // Queen of Tears // The Impossible Heir

Current Obsessions: ❤ Lee Jae wook // Park Hyung Sik // Yoon Park

Podcast: These Dramatic Days

@JenL i did feel he was stiff as villain.... he should be more villainious.... so in my country there is one actor who always wanted to be a villain and he started his career as villain only.... there were scenes and instances in his acting that you just feel sheer hatred for that man but eventually he acted as a normal guy in one film and his partnership with one of his leading lady went on to become soo much successful that they are called The most successful partnership in my country.. later , he established himself as the king of romance in our country but he himself says that he hates romance.... albeit he is thankful for what he has got so far.... the time i am talking about is 1991 around... the man in the flesh is shahrukh khan ...i am not sure whether you have heard of him....but thats not the point ... the point here is Lee Min Ho's acting.... 

I am glad that he is trying different things...but I personally feel he needs to gear himself up more...he should improvise....see other performances of actors who did this kind of transition etc.... a villain can be a villain without any words just by eyes as well.... but that is surely missing... i just did not find him villainous enough.... its a fact....i did not dislike pachinko....but when i pass a day with utmost pressure , i would like to see something that will make me relax...the story is good but it is not leaving me in fits thats why I feel that it would have been better if it would have been a movie rather than a series..

• Like 2

Currently watching

K-Drama :  

7 minutes ago, movingwheel said:

..the story is good but it is not leaving me in fits thats why I feel that it would have been better if it would have been a movie rather than a series..

I can definitely see it being a movie than a drama. It does feel like they're stretching the details to make this more of a long form drama when it easily could have been made into a single film :popcorn:

9 minutes ago, movingwheel said:

@JenL i did feel he was stiff as villain.... he should be more villainious....  the man in the flesh is shahrukh khan 

Haha glad I wasn't the only one who thought so! I just never feel anything much with LMH's characters :idk:

Yes, I have heard of Shahrukh khan...maybe I've even seen one of his films before as I often watch international film for work. I'll have to search his list of films to be sure :MewHi:

• Like 2

Currently watching: Doctor Slump // Queen of Tears // The Impossible Heir

Current Obsessions: ❤ Lee Jae wook // Park Hyung Sik // Yoon Park

Podcast: These Dramatic Days

@JenL This is the you-know-what @movingwheel and I were on about. :laugh:

I'm OK with shows like this, having watched a few similar ones myself since young. One of my faves (and tear-jerker) was The Joy Luck Club. I can't say how I really feel about this until I have actually watched it. I figure they did a drama rather than a movie so they can tell a better detailed story of the novel than in a max. of 3 hours long movie.

As for LMH not villainous enough, was he supposed to? I thought it was the era that he's in that shaped him into who he is or how he behaves but he's not necessarily supposed to be evil. :idk: I'll have to see it for myself to find out! :eeeee: I like that there are honest opinions about him from his fans here than compared to S forums, haha. 😅

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Haha 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

‘Pachinko’ season two will be “even heavier” than the first, says star Kim Min-ha

Showrunner Soo Hugh also revealed that the show will take "a little bit of a time jump"

By Puan Ziwei
16th June 2022
pachinko kim min-ha season 2 teaser Kim Min-ha in 'Pachinko'. Credit: Apple TV+

Pachinko star Kim Min-ha has opened up about what the second season of the Apple TV+ K-drama has in store for viewers.

In a new interview with Deadline, the South Korean actress teased what viewers can expect from the much-anticipated continuation of the hit K-drama series. Kim played the teenaged version of the shows main character Kim Sunja, whose adult version is portrayed by Oscar-winning actress Youn Yuh-jung.

“[Sunja will] become stronger, even though there are so many burdens on her shoulders,” Kim hinted. “It’s about the story of her, continued from Season 1… even heavier, but still, there’s joy.”

Meanwhile, showrunner Soo Hugh revealed that the show will take “a little bit of a time jump” for the second season, while teasing that viewers will get to follow the characters as they face the hardships of World War II.

On the other hand, Korean-American actor Jin Ha, who stars as businessman Solomon Baek, hints that his character might face a story arc that won’t be from the source material, but instead something “completely new”.

“I think we are seeing him question his preconceived notions of what success looked like when we meet him at the beginning of the season, and I’m rooting for him to find a healthier and less toxic idea of success,” Ha said. “But I leave it to the skilled brains of the writers and Soo.”

Based on the best-selling novel of the same name by Min Jin Lee, 

Pachinko tells the story of a fictional Korean immigrant family in Japan over four generations through the life of its matriarch, Sunja. It premiered on Apple TV+ in March.

source:

https://www.nme.com/news/tv/pachinko-season-two-hint-even-heavier-kim-min-ha-3248869?utm_source=hootsuite&utm_medium=&utm_term=&utm_content=&utm_campaign=

CurrentlyLiesGrden•CYouIn19thLif•Battle4HappinssWaitingRvenant•Heartb•NumbersFinishedBingeWatchingRace•B.Knight•GloryIIDaily•2D1NS4•RunMan

• 1 month later...

Lee Min Jin, the author of Pachinko.

771b4f71-0d58-41ce-91ea-f8da74d8c4c4.jpg

e2cf9bad-ab93-454c-8ce0-e9ea75394fbe.jpg

Pachinko writer "life is a game"... how to beat a lawyer and become novelist?

Joong Ang Ilbo

"I see this game as a metaphor for life. I believe life is unfair sometimes, but we have to play this game anyway."

Writer Lee Min Jin (54), author of the masterpiece Pachinko (2 volumes, the influencer), which depicts the lives of four generations of Korean-Japanese families, including during the Japanese colonial period, explained the implications of 'Pachinko' as follows.  It is through a written interview ahead of the publication of the new Korean version.

e3eaeb73-287c-47ff-b6c3-8f6ed053edf1.jpg

A new translation of the novel 'Pachinko'. One of the two volumes will be released this week, and the second volume will be released in August.  [Photo Influencer]

Spoiler

pachinko.webp

'tap'

source:

https://www.joongang.co.kr/article/25089508

CurrentlyLiesGrden•CYouIn19thLif•Battle4HappinssWaitingRvenant•Heartb•NumbersFinishedBingeWatchingRace•B.Knight•GloryIIDaily•2D1NS4•RunMan

• 2 weeks later...

By Joong Ang Ilbo. 

4da10b97-b501-4dcc-9f6e-800aca682ecb.jpg

Writer Lee Min Jin giving a greeting (Seoul = Yonhap News) Reporter Jin Yeon Su = Korean-American writer Lee Min Jin, who wrote the novel 'Pachinko', gives a greeting before a press conference held at the Press Center in Jung-gu, Seoul. 

7aba19b6-c8c3-4429-b184-cbad280c7d03.jpg

(Seoul = News 1) Reporter Lee Kwang Ho = Writer Lee Min Jin = 'Pachinko', which tells the story of a family of Zainichi Koreans for four generations.

Regarding the next project, she said, "A Korean reporter translated 'American Academy' back into English and the title of my next work is 'American Hagwon'. 'Hagwon' is a word that people all over the world need to know in order to understand Korean people, so it is written in Korean," she emphasized.

Spoiler

af7ead8e-3b78-468a-bf83-6ee9399eaaed.jpg

'tap'

source:

https://www.joongang.co.kr/article/25092841

• 3 months later...

f637f3df-66f7-4dda-adda-ebd2338ec8dd.jpg

Actress Kim Min Ha revealed that she auditioned 8 times over 4 months to appear in 'Pachinko'.

Kim Min Ha made her appearance in tvN's 'House on Wheels 4', which aired on the 17th.

a090720c-da78-40e4-990d-718c9b62af9c.jpg

Kim Min Ha played the role of a teenage Sunja in 'Pachinko'. She captivated the world with strong acting, showing strong yet delicate emotions.

On this day, Seong Dong Il said to Kim Min Ha, she replied, “It was amazing that I auditioned like a bulldozer and won the role without an agency.”

2925f00e-6994-46e5-915e-3047abe89bd9.jpg

Then, he asked Kim Min Ha, "How many times have you auditioned?"

Kim Min Ha said that the first was the self-tape and added, "I filmed it."

The second is an online audition. After that, they said they auditioned online again and conducted an interview.

The 5th is chemistry reading. She claimed that she watched it twice for the chemistry purpose with the male lead.

Kim Min Ha was surprised by saying, "I also saw chemistry with the other main characters," and "I met the director after it was over."

Seong Dong Il was surprised and said, “Is this the first time you met the director?”

Kim Min Ha auditioned a total of 8 times in 4 months.

She said, "It was fun to see an audition like this for the first time."

She continued, “Every time I go, what should I talk about today?

Kim Hee Won was surprised again, saying, "It's a story that I was confident every time." Seong Dong Il praised Min Ha, saying, "I think Min Ha's confidence is her best asset."

Spoiler

0505ddc5-be7e-412b-9f16-c0039dd76adb.jpg

dd9fdaa0-08bf-465c-996d-3e1191cdc6aa.jpg

<Picture source = tvN 'House on Wheels 4', Apple TV+>

https://www.dispatch.co.kr/2226854

• 2 weeks later...
Pachinko-Photos-010703-jpg-photo-thumbna

'Pachinko' wins this year's Gotham Awards

optimize.jpg

Apple TV+'s "Pachinko" took home a prize at this year's Gotham Awards, becoming the second Korean TV series to win at the American awards ceremony for independent films and series.

The eight-part drama series won in the "Breakthrough Series ― Long Format (over 40 minutes)" category at the 32nd awards ceremony held in New York City on Monday (U.S. time).

optimize-1.jpg

This image of Apple TV+'s Korean original series 'Pachinko' was provided by the global streaming service. 

Based on the namesake novel written by Korean American author Min Jin Lee, "Pachinko" depicts the life of Sunja, born to a poor family in Busan in the early 1900s. The 1910-45 Japanese colonial rule forces her to move to Japan, and she and her family have to go through a tough life there even after World War II.

Last year, Netflix's megahit Korean series "Squid Game" became the country's first winner at the annual awards ceremony, nabbing the same best long-form TV series title. 

• 2 weeks later...

tumblr-f61556359f9be9737bb1b89115446ec8-

By Reporter Yoo Joon Ha Yonhap News

p1065592309658874-186-thum.jpg

South Korean writer Lee Min Jin known for her bestselling novel “Pachinko” was selected as one of the members of the Forbes “50 Over 50.”

Based on the information disclosed by Forbes on December 11 (US time), under the four segments including “Life Style,” “Impact,” “Entrepreneurs,” and “Money” total of 200 people has been selected, 50 from each segments, Korean American writer Lee Min Jin was placed under the “Life Style” segment.

“Her best-selling novel "Pachinko" was released in 2017 and became a phenomenon. A finalist for a National Book Award, the novel was adapted for an AppleTV+ series in 2022” adding “Lee received a fellowship in fiction from Guggenheim Foundation in 2018 and was admitted into the New York Foundation for the Arts Hall of Fame in 2019.” addressed Forbes magazine.

source:

https://twitter.com/korea_odyssey/status/1602180665440894977

• 3 weeks later...

img.gif

K-ODYSSEYMENby Yonhap News Reporter Woo Ji Wo

By Yonhap News

p1065574085334571-463-thum.jpg

This photo, provided by Chicago Sun-Times, shows Pachinko.

Apple TV Plus original series ‘Pachinko’ which depicts the eventful life and immigrant story of Korean-Japanese family was selected as the ‘Best TV Drama of 2022’ by a famous film critic belonging to a leading American daily newspaper. 

Chicago Sun-Times, one of the two major daily newspapers in Chicago, introduced the top 10 list of '2022 Best TV series' selected by Richard Roeper, with 'Pachinko', a drama based on the novel of the same name by Korean-American writer Lee Min Jin, ranked first.

Sun-Times introduced ‘Pachinko’ as “a masterfully spun, gorgeously photographed, beautifully acted and deeply memorable work following the journey of one Korean family across some 75 years.”

The opening features multi-generational casts dancing in Pachinko arcade to the sounds of American rock band Grass Roots' old pop "Let's Live For Today."

He continued, "Pachinko" is a triumphant work with gleaming performances by the great Youn Yuh Jung (Oscar winner for "Minari"), Lee Min Ho, Kim Min Ha, Soji Arai and Jin Ha," adding, "Very specific to one family and yet universally relatable, 'Pachinko' is a breathtakingly original treasure."

In particular, he praised the drama’s introductory video, saying, “one of the greatest opening credits sequences in television history.”

Edited by twink_twink_

@movingwheel @JenL @Alice Wonderland I've finally found "the mood" to start on this. Four episodes in. Four more to go.

Though it's not something I would completely concentrate on but I didn't fall asleep. And I didn't find it too sad (yet). Only one scene that had me in tears and that's when Sunja's mother went to the market and asked to buy some white rice. At that time white rice is only available to the Japanese. But her mother wanted some because it was Sunja's wedding and she'll leave with Isak to Osaka. Her mother want her to have a taste of Korean white rice since god knows when she'll be able to return. It's a relatable scene.

As for Hansu, can't say I like his character at all. On the contrary, I like Isak more. Hahahaha! Ima just not attracted to bad boys and Hansu happens to be that typical "bad" boy. I don't like him in the sense that he said many hurtful and disrespectful things to Sunja. If Hansu was given the chance to narrate his feelings, it'd probably be explained away as he doesn't know how to express himself well. A quick read on Wikipedia of the novel mentioned he took care of Sunja & et al. secretly... what I'd like to know is did he do that because he loves Sunja or because he's doing it for Noa, his only son and she is her son's mother.

I'm not impressed with anyone's acting yet, and I'm quite bugged by LMH's Japanese. Everyone's line delivery in Japanese was delivered clearly except LMH's, excluding that American actor playing Tom because I've no expectation of him being able to be fluent in Japanese. LMH's Japanese is always muffled and I can't hear the Japanese words he spoke clearly. Even the intonation felt flat when some words should be raised. Jin Ha, on the other hand, spoke Japanese well but butcher Korean—which I read was intentional because he's playing a Korean growing up in Japan.

The novel might have a better story-telling about how Sunja and Hansu fell in love but in the drama it was quite abrupt that all of a sudden they were just doing it. 😅

Anyway, I'll try to finish this off this week but I'm not sure I'm interested for Season 2. I don't actually like the retro style presentation here.

• 1 month later...

d8436107-55b1-4cd4-b84d-d0b4e984ad1e.jpg

a mild morning will turn colder mid-day and this afternoon. definitely bring an extra layer or coat if you will be out later. February 17 friday morning, actor Lee Min Ho watched and waved at cameras before his departure in order to board his flight to Canada at Incheon International Airport. the actor is reportedly left Seoul to shoot for Apple TV series ‘Pachinko 2.’

f1570b7a-275e-447d-9baf-e31b722755ba.jpg

f438394f-401d-47b0-8a0d-6bac1d202c50.jpg

Spoiler

f423758f-9e0a-4197-a116-928cf7fc2a47.jpg

dongsaeng Minho Ssi , hwaiting .

Edited by twink_twink_