Lee Min Ho joins hands with U.S.Apple TV

Actor Lee Min-ho will star in the drama "Pachinko," which will be produced on Apple TV Plus.

"Lee Min-ho will be the main character of the best-selling novel "Pachinko" by Korean-American writer Lee Min-jin among the works to be presented by Apple TV Plus," an entertainment industry source told Sports Chosun on Wednesday.

"Pachinko" is a novel that captures the miserable lives of Zainichi (Korean residents in Japan), who were both Koreans but were eventually strangers, and was nominated for the 2019 National Book Award and selected by many media as the "Book of the Year." It is a novel written by Korean-American author Lee Min-jin, who lived in Tokyo for four years from 2007 and covered Korean residents in Japan, and is considered one of the best works of the times.

Lee will make his first joint venture with Apple TV through "Pachinko." It has already gained popularity abroad due to SBS' "The Heirs," and recently completed SBS' "The King: Eternal Monarch," which was released worldwide through Netflix, and is expected to create synergy in collaboration with "Pachinko.""Pachinko" is scripted by Korean-American producer Su Hue and has author Lee Min-jin participate as a producer.

Translated in english from original article: https://entertain.v.daum.net/v/20201019105038032

spacer.png

‘Pachinko’ by Min JinLee was a NY best seller in 2015 and selected as ‘10 best books of the year’ in 2017. The novel drew attention in May last year when former US President Barack Obama introduced it as a ‘charming book’ on his SNS account.

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 1
  • Party! 2

Currently watching

K-Drama :  

C-Drama :  Road Home

@movingwheel I think you can start decorating the thread with some basic information of the drama based on the novel first. And later any changes can be done necessarily. 

Spoiler

About The Show

Broadcast Station: Apple TV+

Schedule: -

Episodes: -

Duration: -

Plot Synopsis

The drama will be adapted from the novel Pachinko. Pachinko is the second novel by Korean-American author Lee Min Jin. Published in 2017, Pachinko is an epic historical novel following a Korean family who eventually immigrates to Japan, The character-driven tale features a large ensemble of characters who become subjected to issues of racism and stereotypes, among other events with historical origins in the 20th-century Korean experiences with Japan. 

Pachinko was a 2017 finalist for the National Book Award for fiction. Apple Inc.'s streaming service Apple TV+ has purchased the rights for a television adaptation of the novel.

Cast and Crew

Director: Su Hue & Lee Min Jin

Writer: Lee Min Jin

Main Cast

Lee Min Ho as -

Characters Description

-

Supporting Characters

-

Teaser and Stills

-

OST

-

• Like 4
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, movingwheel said:

By The Way, they are eyeing for total 4 seasons for Pachinko

I just know this, is the original novel that long?

It is interesting bcs people loved the book. I wonder what they think

the trailer looks so legit I'm amazed

• Like 4

G O O D  V I B E S  

♪ click me below for my cw, edits, about 

d r a m a s a f f a i r . c a r r d . c o 

The trailer looks like a movie trailer. But 4 seasons you said? Oh my god! How much per seasons huh?

Well, back into the trailer, I know nothing about the story because I dont read the book but this trailer somehow give me the feels like what I feel from Memoirs of Geisha, it also comes from a book adaptation. The trailers feels like to show the journey of the characters life, so it would goes back into their past and tell us how everything happened.

• Like 4

Thanks for the tag @movingwheel

What controversial scene? The one he was removing her top? My eyes were looking for LMH but this trailer focuses more on Sunja instead so is that hinting there actually won't be a lot of LMH? The original book is about Sunja anyway but not sure how the Minoz will take if the screen time is less.

There are a lot of faces I don't know of.

Not a fan of seasonal series but if all of the episodes have already been filmed and completed then I think that's OK. I really don't want to watch a drama like ended like Arthdal and then wonder will we or will we not get a season 2. That said, I complain but I don't regret watching Arthdal coz I like the story. Haha.

• Like 2

@bai The book has been popular and the story has been set in 4 generations. Sunja and Koh Hansu have been always present in some way or the other. It is the journey of Sunja and she had to change the direction of her whole life due to one action of Hansu. In other words , Hansu deflowered when Sunja has been innocent virgin , someone who was away from real life struggle and everything and she becomes pregnant with Noah . Thus her mother arranges for her marriage overnight with a priest which takes her to Japan. And the Life of Sunja starts from there. Koh HAnsu loved Sunja in his own way. He proposes her to be his mistress since he cannot leave his own family. Koh Hansu has two daughters from his wife. Sunja vehemently opposes. Koh Hansu has ties with underworld and organised crime too.

@Alice Wonderland  yes it looks like story will be told from Sunja's memory as it moves backward through Flashbacks.

@mademoiselle Personally I am not in favour of Multiple Seasons. Arthdal is intriguing and it has suspense element but this one is a journey of life.  I am not sure how long Viewers will have their attention span ! It will probably all depend on the execution. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Regarding Arthdal , I can say with my closed eyes that I have absolutely whole heartedly wanted The S2 to happen because The Story is soo good. ITs a shame that K audience did not watch it just because it did not have those glamorous dresses. Now I just want four of them to say yes. But I would not want it to happen without Song Joong Ki... Really. Then I will skip it.

Just now, Alice Wonderland said:

I see less of him from the trailer too, but I'm here for him. Well, let's see how it plays out.

Chill Relax.... LEts just say Without Koh Hansu this book would not have taken place. I have read the book , I know. Lee Minho will have substantial amount of screentime. I went to read the book the moment I got to know about him choosing this one. More So , When I got to know that Barrack Obama called this book as a story of Resilience and Compassion.

• Insightful 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

Currently watching

K-Drama :  

• 3 weeks later...

some rave reviews are coming  up on this one.... they hold premiere in LA , California...

All the eyes are on him because he has chosen something he has never done before..... !!!

They will cover korea japan conflict in an elaborative amount.... This drama will truly show the world whether Lee Min Ho can come out of his type cast.... whether he can really establish himself as a versatile actor like he always wanted to be....since he always idealizes Lee Byung Hun...

Fingers Crossed !!!

13 more days to go...

@bai @mademoiselle @Alice Wonderland

• Like 2
  • Awesome 1

Currently watching

K-Drama :  

@mademoiselle @ktcjdrama @Alice Wonderland trust me I tried, i really really tried but after 2nd episode, i give up... The most important part of watching a drama or anything for that matter is being entertained,,, and i am not !! I will probably still watch it but at my own leisure.... this is torture .

• Haha 3

Currently watching

K-Drama :