Vincenzo 빈센조 [2021]

ssteph

I scrubbed to the final bits ( will only watch in full tomorrow) . Basically VC had bought a deserted island near Malta to relocate the Cassano family & he’s become their boss.  He had actually come back just for a day - he would legally not be allowed to be in SK - but an Italian group had come & he “smuggled” himself. So basically he’s come back to see CY. He tells her he’s prepared a place for her & she’s excited to visit . So the deal is sealed. 

And the kiss was just perfect! :wow: ( had to rewatch since it was hard to really focus while recapping just now ) 

• Like 3
  • Party! 2

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  -  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - 

19 minutes ago, abs-oluteM said:

I scrubbed to the final bits ( will only watch in full tomorrow) . Basically VC had bought a deserted island near Malta to relocate the Cassano family & he’s become their boss.  He had actually come back just for a day - he would legally not be allowed to be in SK - but an Italian group had come & he “smuggled” himself. So basically he’s come back to see CY. He tells her he’s prepared a place for her & she’s excited to visit . So the deal is sealed. 

And the kiss was just perfect! :wow: ( had to rewatch since it was hard to really focus while recapping just now ) 

Nice recap. He had actually attached himself to the Italian Diplomatic Delegation who had come for the celebration of Korean-Italian relations. And, that's why he could only stay for a day since he has to leave with the delegation as well.

I did like the kiss at the end as VC confesses his love for HCY and tells her that he has a room set aside for her on the island. Even though they're parting again, it feels implied that she'll be visiting his island when she can. However, they both have their work to do, and so they definitely won't be a typical couple.

• Like 4
  • Heart Eyes 1

Am watching while writing this. Like @ktcjdramasaid, the killings are just too gruesome just by thought alone, so I'm choosing not to pay attention to them. I don't think it was necessary to have it done this way, but again, this just points to how evil man can be/is. For a villain to be made hero, imagine how much more a villain the others must be? Is Vincenzo a good guy therefore? No. It's all about how humans rationalise things, and within the logic we elaborately create for ourselves to justify our actions, where is morality?

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1
1 hour ago, ktcjdrama said:

I am so so so sad that Han Seo died...

I am, too. I thought he might die since he was part of the bad guys, even if he had turned over a new leaf. However, it seems fitting that he dies at the hands of his crazy real brother. VC had tried to warn HS to go into hiding for a few months until everything is over, but HS had accepted that it could cause him his life and refused to go. And, ultimately, it was through HS, that VC is able to track JW down and kill him.

Frankly, both CMH and JJW's deaths were totally horrifying, though given how much pain and death they had dealt to numerous others, probably fitting. The rest about their tortured deaths in the spoiler since they're pretty gruesome.

Spoiler

CMH's feet were smashed so that she couldn't walk, then she was soaked in gas and lit on fire. So, she tried to walk anyway to get away from the agony of being burned to death on ruined feet so bone on bone agony. And, with that zumba music that she liked so much playing for her excruciating death dance.

JJW's death was even more horrifying then that. He was hooked up to an automatic drill that would drill 5 cm every 5 minutes until it finally burst his lungs, causing his lungs to collapse and causing death. Until his lungs burst, however, the trauma would not be enough to kill him, rather it would cause severe pain and blood loss. He would also have a long time to suffer and dwell on his last moments.

The crows that came to eat JJW as he was dying was the final touch. He wasn't even completely dead yet, but the crows know death when they see it since they're scavengers. *shudder*

I think it's appropriate that VC doesn't do a miracle makeover to become a totally good guy and stay in Korea. He's done too much in his life for him to be lily-white clean, however, that he's taken up the mantle of being Vaisravana, to clear out the garbage of the world, using methods that villains use against other villains. So, he is still a villain who is an anti-hero, but one willing to bring down other villains as well.

Rather, VC has been motivated by the concept of family throughout this drama, and by implication, throughout his life. He rose to be consigliere of the Cassano family and demonstrated fierce loyalty, smarts, and willingness to use all available weapons until he deemed the leader unfit. Having said that, it's as if he knew that Paolo was unfit, and so he needed his money to prepare a place for his family.

Once in Korea, it was about family as well. Not only his mother, but also the Geumga Plaza people who ultimately became his family as well. However, once he had taken care of things in Korea, he couldn't stay there given that he had committed too many crimes with little cover. While he has also committed crimes in Italy, the implication is that the mafioso are able to take care of their own rather than being taken to task by the law and courts there. And, even there, VC chooses to buy a deserted island off Malta which has difficult extradition terms with the rest of the world.

I hope that HCY is able to go see VC with some frequency, even if she is also fighting the good fight in SK. If nothing else, she can go to the island to rest and recuperate from her struggles in SK. Even though the invitation was for her, I assume that the other Geumga Plaza members would be welcome if they also needed a place of refuge for awhile.  And, then some day, hopefully, VC and HCY won't have to be apart for so long any more.

Anyway, it was a good drama and a good watch. SJK was amazing in his role, at turns comedic and dramatic. The rest of the cast was stellar (mostly), and now that VC and HCY have an open yet happy ending, I have to go mourn Han Seo just a little more.

Thanks to everyone who posted here. It was great reading your comments, theories, and other posts, especially when things got too busy for me to participate much!

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1
  • Clapping Hands 3

Alright. Am done with the show. It was certainly entertaining. Morbid. And a wry, sardonic reflection of the baseness of humanity. The monk's words to Vincenzo and his own closing statement exactly expresses the futility of Man's efforts to achieve peace on his own. Ironic that the Italian mafia's catholic roots has not yet led Vincenzo to recognise where true justice and forgiveness comes from. 

As regards his own pursuit of love - he remains true to his own belief that love will elude him, hence he will never really make that proposal of a lifelong commitment to Chayoung. And she likely knows too that she cannot live the mafia life. No loss for me though - I was never invested in their "romance". Apart from being good business partners, I can't say I felt the chemistry between them as a couple. Oh well.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Awesome 1

Why did they have to kill off Kwak Dong Yeon's character?! :scaredpanda2:

I stopped watching Vincenzo a while back and was going to binge it now that it's done but....I might have to reconsider. I really like Kwak Dong Yeon and have seen most of his projects. I was happy to hear that his character was changing because while I thought he would make a great villain, I was secretly hoping he would turn good too.

Doesn't help that he was killed by his brother, who I was already complaining to @stroppyse that I didn't like. Hahaha! 

This is what happens when you are oppa driven. Song Joong Ki is not enough, I want both. :lol::laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

After a sleep, I am back with more thoughts about the writing...

I like that both ultimate villains were shown to be in the prison, though they went in voluntarily themselves. But we know that being imprisoned is not going to be enough so they were brought out to be “executed”. Then the “lesser” villains, died at the hands of JJW himself, showing that Vince is never too bothered with them to get his hands dirty anyway. 

Another thing I love is how the first kiss of our Mafia Couple was initiated by HCY, they broke the kiss for a second, and Vince responded with a more intense kiss. Then their second kiss after a year was initiated by Vince, broke for a second and responded by HCY with an intense kiss as well. That was really nice 😍 Both were in great setting too, although the first one was with a big audience, the second one they were all by themselves. The shot for both kisses were great and the OST were both fitting too. I love both the kiss scenes!!

Now onto the one and only part I really dislike about the writing. It’s the end of ep.19 and beginning of ep.20. I really feel a disconnect with Vince’s characterization there. I mean, for a normal guy, his action was understandable, that he wanted to save CY first and take her to safety. But he is a mafia, for goodness sake! He should react in aggressive manner instead. There was even a part when he shielded CY with his body, the part when JJW ran out of bullets (how convenient but I’m fine with this. Let me go back and count the number of bullets shot from that gun). Just that, again, it doesn’t fit his mafia style. Sorry, for me it’s always the thought that when you die while trying to protect your loved ones, it means that you can no longer protect them ever. If he got shot and die, JJW will just kill CY next? So the point is, don’t die!... Vince was stunned one too many times in that scene, as if he didn’t know and never expected JJW to be that crazy. Even as HS was grabbing the gun to his body to protect him, he did nothing 🙄... Yes, I am still upset Han Seo died, but I can accept that kind of writing. It’s the writing of Vince’s reaction during that whole time that made me shake my head and roll my eyes. I don’t think it’s difficult or impossible to write in some active fighting from Vince and have CY still injured and HS still dying. Instead, that part really just sort of like revoking Vincenzo’s characteristic, which otherwise has been very consistent until the last minute of the drama. 

Edited by ktcjdrama
  • Like 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 3

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

13 hours ago, movingwheel said:

If Baeksang is not given to SJK , then I am not sure who should win it !!!

I could tell you but you'd hate me... 😂🤣

12 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

I guess the only complaint I will voice out is ~ where is Inzaghi? whatever happened to him?? Did he also need to go into hiding after the mass attack on humans??

Inzaghi has migrated to Malta.

500_F_260679799_TT7fbtnpi35KFiNxqJNtU2KS

3 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

Now onto the one and only part I really dislike about the writing. It’s the end of ep.19 and beginning of ep.20. I really feel a disconnect with Vince’s characterization there. I mean, for a normal guy, his action was understandable, that he wanted to save CY first and take her to safety. But he is a mafia, for goodness sake! He should react in aggressive manner instead. There was even a part when he shielded CY with his body, the part when JJW ran out of bullets (how convenient but I’m fine with this. Let me go back and count the number of bullets shot from that gun). Just that, again, it doesn’t fit his mafia style. Sorry, for me it’s always the thought that when you die while trying to protect your loved ones, it means that you can no longer protect them ever. If he got shot and die, JJW will just kill CY next? So the point is, don’t die!... Vince was stunned one too many times in that scene, as if he didn’t know and never expected JJW to be that crazy. Even as HS was grabbing the gun to his body to protect him, he did nothing 🙄... Yes, I am still upset Han Seo died, but I can accept that kind of writing. It’s the writing of Vince’s reaction during that whole time that made me shake my head and roll my eyes. I don’t think it’s difficult or impossible to write in some active fighting from Vince and have CY still injured and HS still dying. Instead, that part really just sort of like revoking Vincenzo’s characteristic, which otherwise has been very consistent until the last minute of the drama. 

I feel the same! When Han Seo snatched Joo Woo's hand and pointed the gun at himself, Vincenzo leaned Cha Yong against the table/sofa. I thought he would then sprint across to help HS! But no, again, he is just stationery there with CY!

13 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

Finished watching with subs... 

As a shipper of Mafia Couple, I am disappointed with the ending. However, as a member of "Oh My Consigliere" fan club, I am happy with the overall ending, which I think it's quite fitting for Vincenzo.

Don't be. He's left a room for her on his Malta Island. His room 🤣. Plus Malta's really nice! Deep blue clear sea all around.

The ending is a bit like CLOY. From the time she drove up in her hospital clothes to see him off, to them meeting again after a year... Although they didn't show a happily ever after, it is assumed. Apart from him returning to live in Korean, they can live anywhere else and travel back to SK/Malta for work, if she is not able give up everything and move to Malta. This is a drama with a happy ending.

Except for my poor boy. Who is not only slowly drilled to death (when your lung is punctured, you will have difficulty breathing too right), but is eaten alive by a crow 😭😭😭

• Haha 4
35 minutes ago, Chocolate said:

Don't be. He's left a room for her on his Malta Island. His room 🤣. Plus Malta's really nice! Deep blue clear sea all around.

The ending is a bit like CLOY. From the time she drove up in her hospital clothes to see him off, to them meeting again after a year... Although they didn't show a happily ever after, it is assumed. Apart from him returning to live in Korean, they can live anywhere else and travel back to SK/Malta for work, if she is not able give up everything and move to Malta. This is a drama with a happy ending.

He is only leaving the next day. They could spend the rest of the evening (or the whole night) together! Sneak out from the group, make some kind of excuses ~ sick, have to stay in bed, whatever. They could also go to his mother’s one year anniversary together. But I’m fine now. They did give us a beautiful kiss anyway. 

38 minutes ago, Chocolate said:

Except for my poor boy. Who is not only slowly drilled to death (when your lung is punctured, you will have difficulty breathing too right), but is eaten alive by a crow

He shot Han Seo, so... I have no sympathy for him. But am glad we’re only shown the silhouette.

Think about it this way, he didn’t die alone 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

@Chocolate i can understand that people might have a difference of opinion...but that does not have i will hate  you.... :D i will love you no matter what....

by the way , i agree to your point about the ending.... however our vincenzo aka SJK has somethign different to say.... he solely shot this scene with the thought of not being able to spend life with HCY.... however he said he has fallen in love with JYB and that she is his best chemistry as far as the on screen partners are considered... @Chocolate

SJK INTERVIEW

On May 2, the final episode of the popular drama starring Song Joong Ki and Jeon Yeo Bin achieved the highest viewership ratings of the show’s entire run. According to Nielsen Korea, the series finale of “Vincenzo” scored an average nationwide rating of 14.6 percent and a peak of 16.2 percent, taking first place in its time slot across all channels—including public broadcast networks.

Not only did the ratings mark a new personal record for the series, but they also made “Vincenzo” the drama with the sixth-highest ratings in tvN history.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Heart Eyes 2

Currently watching

K-Drama :  

C-Drama :  Road Home

2 hours ago, movingwheel said:

by the way , i agree to your point about the ending.... however our vincenzo aka SJK has somethign different to say.... he solely shot this scene with the thought of not being able to spend life with HCY.... however he said he has fallen in love with JYB and that she is his best chemistry as far as the on screen partners are considered...

That chemistry thing, I wonder if there is a bit of sub-text there 🤣

Haha, nothing is ever certain because of the lifestyle. But as long as he is not killed during his new undertakings and Cha Yong does not suddenly find his "business" unacceptable, what's to stop them? Their ending is really within their own control.

Looks like SJK agrees with @gilaswan

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1
  • Sad 2

SJK ON JYB... “It’s an honor to be a part of an amazing actor’s beginnings. I’m sure she will turn into a tremendous actor, I can’t even put it into words.”

@ktcjdrama i was a bit upset yesterday but right now I am just happy that SJK has healed himself through this project... and i am gonna look at the brighter side of it and console myself by saying that both SJK and JYB is in Korea...lol

• Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 2

Currently watching

K-Drama :  

• Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 1
  • Party! 2

Currently watching

K-Drama :  

41 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

:cry: you see... even SJK didn’t consider that as a happy ending for VCY. Yes, they did affirm their feelings for each other but it’s gonna be haaaard to be together... Let me go cry in the corner. 

I cry with you.  Last night I was so happy thinking that it sailed . But SJK decided to kill joy :shocked2: my take on the drama is so different . 

@movingwheel lol...I think I better not read anymore on Twitter .

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  -  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - 

@abs-oluteM you know what I am seeing in it? SJK being completely brutally honest....it has been quite a long time i have seen him speaking his mind off, gushing about his co-star, laughing madly ... And i am choosing to enjoy that. Vincenzo will stay with me for quite sometime and i know that I would not be able to enjoy any other drama at this point... But still I am soo glad that SJK is healed...

• Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 2

Currently watching

K-Drama :  

We have a public holiday here so I've been catching up a fair bit today. It always felt that it was a show that should be binged watch but yeah... 80 minute episodes... I'm glad that the show gets better. I'm sort of up to the part where the pigeons come to the rescue. Had to laugh at the silliness of that scenario. One minute it's all serious and there's no way out for Vincenzo, the next minute it's attack of the birds... a handy little deu ex machina. Cultivating friendship with Ignazius or whatever it is apparently paid off.

I was so amused to see Jailbird from Prison Playbook in a banking chaebol role head over heels for Vincenzo.

This is definitely a drama in celebration of antiheroes. With all due respect to SJK, he doesn't know what he's talking about. (Although I suspect he's trying to placate a certain perhaps older demographic) Yeah, sure Vincenzo isn't morally upright and he doesn't pretend to be but he is the right man at the right time in the right place. The show makes a case for him. Only a man like Vincenzo can take down a Goliath like Babel that plays dirty and can employ lawyers to get them off on some technicality. Even Prosecutor Jung acknowledges that. Of course it's a terrible indictment of the system that protects the powerful against the weak. It is tragic that antiheroes are even necessary to ensure that justice is done. 

• Like 4
  • Clapping Hands 2

Currently Watching: Queen of Tears, In Blossom

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

I just finished the finale (properly with subs). I agree with the thoughts from stroppyse, ktcjdrama and gilaswan. You guys highlighted some very good points - be it the positive or the negative/flaws of the show.

Ever since I watched Christopher Nolan's The Dark Knight, my perspective change on anti-heroes and villains. I think this drama is a very nice rendition of the villain Vincenzo. I also very much liked what the monk said to Vincenzo when he realises he's committed too many sins to ever be able to become the good guy.

As most of you have covered the bit I also love about Vincenzo, I want to sing my praise to the music director for his/her music and background music choices for Vincenzo, especially the use of classical and opera pieces. Love love love! My favourite had to be (I think) Vincenzo Cassano's theme (the one we hear at the end when Vincenzo ended the show with his narration).

P.S. I just saw an except of SJK's interview mentioning about Kim Sung Chul (Min Seong in Vincenzo). Hahaha. Looks like they are good friends and SJK asked him to appear in Vincenzo as a favour. Kim Sung Chul was not supposed to appear in the finale but SJK called him again. However because the production team has no prison costume ready, he took a photo of the prison costume he wore in Prison Playbook and showed it to SJK and voila, we got a scene of Min Seong. LOL LOL.

9 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

Another thing I love is how the first kiss of our Mafia Couple was initiated by HCY, they broke the kiss for a second, and Vince responded with a more intense kiss. Then their second kiss after a year was initiated by Vince, broke for a second and responded by HCY with an intense kiss as well. That was really nice 😍 Both were in great setting too, although the first one was with a big audience, the second one they were all by themselves. The shot for both kisses were great and the OST were both fitting too. I love both the kiss scenes!!

Aish, you made my heart flutters with this description. Yes, I love the kissing scenes. It was very well done and I guess it's also because they kiss very well and convincingly.

6 hours ago, Chocolate said:

Except for my poor boy. Who is not only slowly drilled to death (when your lung is punctured, you will have difficulty breathing too right), but is eaten alive by a crow

I'm keeping this as evidence that @Chocolate has called Taecyeon "her boy" the second time. :laugh:

@movingwheel @ssteph Dang, I want to collect those post-drama interview pictures! :heart:

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

@mademoiselle trust me when I say this , the kiss scene was soo passionate.... and jeon yeo bin in alexander mcqueen....she looked lovely... the whole premises was sooo amazing.... 

i am still in a withdrawal mood.... this hardly happens to me that I fall in love with one particular drama then that starts to linger for quite some time.... i carry my infatuation for quite some time....now i seriously dont know what should i do except waiting for baeksang and the announcement for his new project..!!!! lol...

He will be in withdrawal for quite some time now... considering he just completed one project.... now even if we get the news that he is considering a new drama , then for that to get materialised , it will be another 6-7 months... but in this year , he might not be coming up with anything... Bogota still in shooting mode , so it will probably be released next year first half or something... by sept-oct , i think we can expect  of his positive consideration of a new project...i wish he chooses a drama not a movie...lol...

• Like 4
  • Heart Eyes 1

Currently watching

K-Drama :  

3 minutes ago, movingwheel said:

@mademoiselle trust me when I say this , the kiss scene was soo passionate.... and jeon yeo bin is alexander mcqueen....she looked lovely... the whole premises was sooo amazing.... 

i am still in a withdrawal mood.... this hardly happens to me that I fall in love with one particular drama then that starts to linger for quite some time.... i carry my infatuation for quite some time....now i seriously dont know what should i do except waiting for baeksang and the announcement for his new project..!!!! lol...

He will be in withdrawal for quite some time now... considering he just completed one project.... now even if we get the news that he is considering a new drama , then for that to get materialised , it will be another 6-7 months... but in this year , he might not be coming up with anything... Bogota still in shooting mode , so it will probably be released next year first half or something... by sept-oct , i think we can expect  of his positive consideration of a new project...i wish he chooses a drama not a movie...lol...

You can re-live or lengthen the infatuation by buying the BR-DVD! Will you? I'm sure this will happen with the positive receptions. Unfortunately DVD boxset doesn't work for me because they take too long to release. 6 - 12 months later, I already move on, and they are super expensive.

I, too, hope he wins Best Actor for Baeksang. His performance and uniqueness of his role warrant one. :heart:

Yeah, personally I prefer my guys do drama too purely because they are on-screen much longer. In general, I prefer the genres/themes/execution for K-dramas more than the K-movies.

• Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 1

For those of you who likes jewellery

https://hk.asiatatler.com/style/vincenzo-jeon-yeo-bin-watches-jewellery-netflix

@ktcjdrama Looks like Netizens are dissatisfied with the scene you mentioned too and it came up in the interview but it's in Chinese. I know you can read it, so here it is:

Spoiler

文森佐在解救被绑架的洪车英(全汝彬饰)的片段中,也有说角色崩溃的。这个片段中,文森佐不仅让张翰硕逃脱了,而且还表现出了相对无能为力的样子,大家都觉得非常遗憾。宋仲基对此片段又有何见解呢?
他表示:“我没想过是角色崩溃,我觉得只是剧情发展必要的设定。我只是专注于如何将此设定更好的传达给大家,如何演活细节。我认为没到角色崩溃的程度。”
“如果有-表现出了无能为力-这种意见的话,我是这么想的。文森佐在每一集剧情里都是无敌的,一直都是在压制别人,所以在19集结尾,这种第一次展现出来的样子,可能不是大家所期待的,所以才会有如此反应。因为有一定的剧情设定,所以我努力去演的不那么刻意,尽力演得特别一些。我认为大家在各自的位置上,为了剧情不那么俗套而竭尽全力了。”

Oh found the english translated version for Kim Sung Chul's cameo

I forgot to mention about the gold in the previous post!! How did Vincenzo smuggle all those gold with him to Malta??

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 1
  • Insightful 3