Li Geng Xi as Jiang Si
Zhang Tian Ai as Nangong Pushe
Li Chun as Xuanyuan Qingfeng
Wang Xiao Chen as Xu Zhihu
Liu Duan Duan as Zhao Kai
Qiu Xin Zhi as Li Chungang
Tian Xiao Jie as Wei Shuyang

Synopsis:

About a young master named Xu Fengnian who went through hardships and growth to become the King of Northern Liang.

Sources:

dramawiki

@Lynne @NiteWalker Moderator tag to get it added to the directory list.

Trailer

Reserved

OSTs

Reserved

Helpful Links

Weibo l

• Like 1
  • Party! 1
  • 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...
On 12/14/2021 at 10:15 AM, Xiaopz_pj said:

are you guys gonna follow this one? Because I surely am!!! Have not been so excited about a drama for a long time!

Yes! I plan on checking it out! I probably won't get to it until the weekend because work is really busy this week. Have you watched? How is it so far?

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Tofu said:

Yes! I plan on checking it out! I probably won't get to it until the weekend because work is really busy this week. Have you watched? How is it so far?

I watched three episodes yesterday, and there are things I like, such as the witty/funny dialogue and dynamic between the father (Hu Jun) and the son (Ruoyun), and things I don't like that much, such as the slow-motion fighting scenes. But I think it is still too early to say. I never read the book, so I don't have any expectation in that regard. Pace-wise, it is a bit slow at the beginning, if we compare it with Joy of Life, but I also feel that story is way more complicated. 

Anyway, I can see online that people are complaining about the looks of the ML and FL, especially the FL. I agree that the acting of the FL is a bit off, but again I never read the book, so I don't know what the FL should look like. As for Zhang Ruoyun, he is never seen as a handsome guy. But his acting is what makes you believe in the character. He is doing a great job as usual, but I think he lost too much weight for the character... a bit too skinny for me. And I like Hu Jun a lot - miss seeing him in a costume drama!!

• Like 1

Started watching and at Ep3, enjoying it. For me, the drama got something new to offer:

1. A general's son who isn't trained in martial arts;

2. A general who appreciates and accepts his boy as he is and his brains;

3. Keeping and indulging a disobedient and hostile maid who hails from the foe's lair. This is a new take for keeping your enemies closer, LOL!

• Like 2

spacer.png

Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero

I am on Episode 12 and it is definitely getting better and better.

The pace issue at the beginning is less of an issue now. The plot, the characters, and the script are all quite interesting for me to enjoy the drama. The actors, especially Ruoyun and Hu Ju, are great, which carried a big part of the drama. 

The problem definitely lies with the directing and editing. The director is good with cameras, but he is not good at telling stories, which is a shame.

What is most interesting for me is to see how the prince grows, both his martial art skills as well as his way of reconciling with the cruelty of the world. He has a very idealistic world view, which makes him extremely likeable and charming. But in the world he is in, how can he keep such idealism and find "the third route" is a very interesting storyline. I think it does speak to the strength or the charm of the Chinese martial art dramas: the protagonist's spiritual or ideological pursuit on a higher level. 

• 2 weeks later...

Done with Ep29. It's been a while, that I'm live watching the episodes as it airs, after binge watching. 😁

Right, so the politicking and leg-pulling are now getting more serious, all wanting a piece of or to kill Xu Fengnian.

Those who want him dead:

Prime Minister - too self-righteous, sees himself as the hero of the world.

Illegitimate Prince - wants to be XFN's brother-in-law, but also wants to kill him, and he is also the other person Prime Minister wants to be killed.

One of the Arch Taoist Masters, colluding with the Prime Minister

Retainer of Xuanyuan family's eldest son, just because.

Head eunuch of the royal family, so that he can prop up the illegitimate prince to power.

Edited by MayanEcho
  • Like 1

spacer.png

Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero