Oh! Samgwang Villa /Homemade Lovestory 오!삼광빌라 [2020-2021]

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/19/2020 at 5:16 AM, bluepebbles said:

Im still watching and enjoying this show!

I'm home with my parents for Thanksgiving, so watching a lot of broadcast tv. The commercials for this drama are literally on KBS all the time! So much so that I'm actually becoming interested in watching it. The cast has a sense of humor and a fantastic attitude about their drama, if nothing else.

@bluepebbles, is it makjang? Do I need to watch the entire back episodes, or may I just jump in in the middle and still have it make some sense?

This is the problem with visiting my family. Too many long dramas that I watch with them since that's what they prefer. They like the longer episode count dramas (weekend and daily) since that shows more of the family dynamics and relationships.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Nohamahmoud2002 said:

@stroppyse the drama is good. It has so many different characters living at the villa. I think you will like it. It is easy to follow, you can start watching from now and just skim quickly at the previous episodes 

agree on this. Not so much stressful makjang tropes. I find this show watchable and doesn’t take me too much toll on theories and such 😂

• Like 3

Plop Cat GIFs | Tenor

Ended up just jumping in the middle to watch this drama. It's fun and funny, but it's also totally makjang! Or perhaps I've just come in at the most makjang part? This drama is also all about the romantic entanglements, both in the past and current times.

Bit Chae Won's mom Soon Jung, was a housegirl as a teenager at Jung Won's house, and back then she had a flirtation going with Jae Hee's dad Jung Hoo, which JH's mom Min Jae was jealous of. Anyway, Min Jae ended up marrying Jung Hoo, but is now tired of him and has divorced him. Jung Hoo wallows in self-pity for awhile since he's never strayed from his marriage, it's just that he was always too busy working to pay attention to his family, but then agrees to the divorce and had decided to take some time off for himself when a bicycle accident brings him back into contact with Soon Jung who is a widow.

BCW was adopted by Soon Jung and her husband and raised as their daughter, but it seems that she's really Jung Won's birth daughter. It seems that Soon Jung knows this? Anyway, Jung Won's adopted daughter Seo Ah at least suspects that BCW may be her mother's birth daughter, and so is extra-witchy towards BCW.

Anyway, BCW and Jae Hee have started having feelings for each other, but if it's true that her mother and his father had been childhood sweethearts, that will complicate their budding relationship really fast.

Then there are the side stories.

- The determined pursuit of BCW's little brother Ra Hoon by Cha Ba Reun, but he's not entirely opposed. He just know that he should have a gf right now when he has no money and no prospects? 

- Hae Dun's attempts to make it as an idol, but she hasn't been able to tell her family that she was not picked up

- The doctor and the uncle, it seems as if they are starting to form a loveline

- Hwang Na Ro - it seems that he is a villain of this drama, but I'm not quite sure how he fits in as yet, since haven't seen much of him. It seems that he may have ill intent towards BCW and her birth mother?

On 11/19/2020 at 10:43 PM, bluepebbles said:

during their first meeting when they headbutt to each other 😂

Good to know. I was thinking that it was because Jae Hee kind of looks like a koala. :pandapopcorn:

This is a funny drama, and despite the various makjang waiting to happen, it was a breezier watch than I would have expected.

• Like 1
  • Party! 2

Ohmygosh! Dong Ha is in this drama!

Dong Ha prepares for military conscription

I thought that he was still in the military, but I guess he's back. The last drama I saw him in was Chief Kim, and I've missed him.

In this drama, he plays Joon Ah, Seol Ah's brother and Jae Hee's best friend, who had been studying in London, but is now back in Korea, though unwilling to move back into the family home. It also seems that he may be developing a love line with Hae Dun.

I wish he was getting more screen time.

• Like 1

I've really warmed up to this drama, even if it seems that we are in the middle stretch of the drama where the angsting willing continue to build. Still, it seems to be able to maintain some fun elements, plus the OTP seem as if they are going to continue to be steadfast and supportive lovers, though there is a worrying bit in the preview.

James has recovered his memories of being Jae Hee's father and Min Jae's ex-husband. I still feel bad for this man, and wondered why he married MJ when he seemed to like SJ so much back then. It's probably because MJ was from a richer family, and made it obvious that she liked him, whereas SJ was shyer and quieter. Anyway, it's clear that he misses his life as James rather than his normal life. It's not clear to me how his story line is going to go since it seems that he did love MJ while they were married even if SJ was his unforgotten first love. Btw, his name while an amnesiac is James because James Dean was SJ's favorite actor when they were young! LOL

SA is plotting still to bring down CBW and to split her and JH up. This part isn't really that logical, though. I guess she wants her mother to look at CBW in disfavor? Surely, she knows her mother well enough to know that she wouldn't abandon CBW at this stage regardless of what happens. And, SA seems to understand that CBW won't leave JH, so in the preview, she's threatening JH, telling him to break up with SA if he doesn't want bad things to happen to CBW. The illogic in this is that, by doing that, it's not going to make JH want SA, but perhaps it's a case of she would rather JH not be with anyone at all if he's not going to be with her.

Surprised to see Dong Ha playing SA's brother in this drama, and so now I'll have to go back at least a couple of week's worth to see when his character started in the drama. It also now makes me interested in HD's story.

The aunt and the uncle's romance is actually very adorable. I loved the aunt going up on stage to scold everyone about being bad listeners and not deserving the uncle's music. It's nice that they're together, but waiting for them to announce being together.

I didn't realize that HD and RW were both adopted as well. So, was there ever a father in the picture or did SJ just adopt and raise the three children alone?

Also, it looks as if NR is basking in the warmth of SJ's motherly care as well. Given that he's supposed to be bringing about CBW's destruction for SA, wonder how his story will play out.

Finally, CBW's birth father. He's in so many dramas now that I'm confused as to whether he's actually a good guy or a bad guy!

• Like 1

Hmm, I'm actually kind of glad that I joined in the middle, so I can fast forward through some scenes. No one is truly villainous in this drama, albeit mean, petty SA and weird plotter NR plus CBW's ex-convict father I guess qualify as villains. Kind of.

What's frustrating about this drama are the secrets that people keep from each other. For instance, still haven't figured out why CBW's adoptive mother doesn't tell CBW or JW about JW's mother being the instigator to get rid of CBW all those years ago.  It's such a weird passive-aggressive thing, the way it seems to me at least. I think the writers are trying to write CBW's mother as this sweet saint who is willing to do everything for anybody, and so doesn't want JW to hate her mother for getting rid of her child or something. And back then in her youth, SJ can be forgiven for the actions she took in protecting CBW even while knowing that she is causing JW great grief. Now, though, when CBW is an adult and JW is also an adult and a mother, it frankly stinks that SJ is still keeping the truth from them. It takes her from being a freaking saint to being a self-righteous, know-it-all who is fine with taking away agency from other people. Watching the back episodes, I've come to really dislike BCW's mother.

On a side note, the actress playing BCW's mother and the actor playing JH's father have been a couple in a number of dramas already. Still curious as to whether JH's father is going to end up with BCW's mother or JH's mother? I assume for the sake of family harmony, JH's father and BCW's mother will resolve their first love states then agree to let things go, then JH's father will go back to his wife and try to mend things with her. Otherwise, it would be complicated for JH and BCW who are the OTP.

• Like 1

Hellooooo anybody here???

Found this drama on kbs YT a few days ago. And got tempted to see JKJ and LJW on the video thumbnail. It was a random episode that Koala confessed his feeling nonstop to Moong-ssi. And they're two are so awkward but look so cute. Then I end up doing a marathon till episode 44. I enjoyed the warm and fun family vibe blooms in Samgwang Villa. It was why they name it as homemade love for the drama. It feels such a great heartwarming story. A mother's love theme, mother to daughter. It's not always blood thickens than water for someone to bond like a real family. 

As usual, the characters I love to hate never miss their chance to annoy me. Can't stand for SA so much and hope that BCW wont be that typical pushover who sacrifices her feelings and love just for the sake of those ungrateful people. And that chairwoman, she's the worst! She's evil just like PPH. How could she be that heartless to her own grand daughter! All the craps she said just to save her face from humiliation for having a jerk son in law. 

And HNR, I know he has his own agenda, but he's not completely bad guy right? I hope I'm not wrong. Sigh... he has good chemistry among koala and moong. Lol. This sneaky penguin. 

• Like 1
  • Party! 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I like Jae Hee's parents very much. The dad shows his true colours after his amnesia. He is a genuinely good person. The actress playing his mom was in My Only One. I like her.

Poor mom who adopted 3 children and saved the uncle from the streets. She is a warm helpful soul. I liked her from the start. Haedun is amusing and creates some cheerfulness. The uncle and aunt are my favorite couple lol. Also HD and the potential boyfriend seem promising.

I like the actor playing Naro but not the character. He is double faced acting nice to deceive Bit Chae Won's adoptive mom and others but at least BTW and JH know his real character.

@stroppyse I think JH's parents care about each other. There's hope for them to get reconciled.

Edited by Nohamahmoud2002
  • Like 2

Hi @Alice Wonderland! Nice to see you here. Yes, I'm watching this drama, though I started late and so missed some early episodes, but @Nohamahmoud2002has been watching from the beginning, so she fills me in on details I might have missed.

1 hour ago, Nohamahmoud2002 said:

@stroppyse I think JH's parents care about each other. There's hope for them to get reconciled.

I'm not entirely sure where they are going with JH's parents. It's true that they're both good people, but they might not be right for each other.

I'm still not sure why Jung Hoo married Min Jae when he was so clearly in love with Soon Jung back then, though it probably had something to do with the fact that SJ was a housegirl trying to support her family while MJ was the daughter of a comfortably off family.

Anyway, Jung Hoo is definitely more at peace with SJ, while MJ causes the worst side of him to come out. While MJ's love for Jung Hoo has been worn down to the point where she has panic attacks when she's been around him too long.

Jung Hoo and Min Jae could get back together, or they could accept their divorce and possibly find other partners. Either way, it's good that they are able to reconcile their feelings of hurt and aggravation with each other, and appreciate each other, regardless of the outcome.

Btw, the actors playing Jung Hoo and Soon Jung have played a married couple in several dramas already. Wonder if they tease each other on set about how often they've been "married". LOL

I like the actor playing Naro but not the character. He is double faced acting nice to deceive Bit Chae Won's adoptive mom and others but at least BTW and JH know his real character.

Agreed that NR as a character is a self-serving, manipulative person who is out to get what he can. However, I think the actor portraying him is doing a wonderful job. Of the villains in this drama, NR is the one who feels the most complex. NR is a villain, and yet, he thirsts for the motherly kindnesses that SJ gives him. Even though he sets himself apart when he's not deliberately trying to make a play of some kind, he revels in the companionship of Samgwang Villas as much as the other residents.

There is an unspoken back story to NR about a lonely childhood and probably neglect and abandonment since he says he is an orphan which I think was a truth. He's learned to look out for himself first and foremost because no one else will look out after him. I'm not excusing NR, but I think he'll be redeemed by the end of the drama.

@Alice Wonderland, I think that NR is a bad guy now, but he will be redeemed.

Also HD and the potential boyfriend seem promising.

I found HD annoying initially, but I like the actor playing the new potential boyfriend. I think I've posted about Dong Ha joining the cast earlier. They only have a couple of scenes together, but I'm hoping that he'll be more integrated as he's worried about his little sister SA and he's considering going back home and letting his mother know that he's back in the country as well.

Plus, HD isn't going to make it as an idol, so I like that she has a new potential career as a stylist.

On 12/7/2020 at 9:02 PM, Alice Wonderland said:

It was why they name it as homemade love for the drama. It feels such a great heartwarming story. A mother's love theme, mother to daughter. It's not always blood thickens than water for someone to bond like a real family. 

This drama is about familial love. A mother's love is not just about bloodlines, as SJ's love for CBW, HD, and RW shows. However, CBW's birth mother JW is not a bad mother either, nor is Koala's mother.

JW's mother, on the other hand, is pure evil!

• Like 2

@stroppyse hi.. this thread is so quiet. Should advertise this to others. Hehe... 

I wonder who is the one he is talking with except that sneaky lady who meets BCW. He refused to leave samgwang villa even he was caught by her. I think some part of his own childhood story that he's being adopted is not totally wrong. I remember about the sneaker he wears becomes an item of hint to something. Has it been revealed. I paused in ep 48-49 if Im not mistaken. I prefer to binge watch it later when it has more episodes. 

16 hours ago, stroppyse said:

This drama is about familial love. A mother's love is not just about bloodlines, as SJ's love for CBW, HD, and RW shows. However, CBW's birth mother JW is not a bad mother either, nor is Koala's mother.

JW's mother, on the other hand, is pure evil!

Yes, her birth nother isn't a bad mother. But somehow SJ's love is a lot more stronger than her. I guess because they got separated and not knowing each other. Plus there are many bugs crawling around JH and prevent her to get close with her. And that chairman is just evil! Hope she got punished for what she did later. 

25 minutes ago, Nohamahmoud2002 said:

@Alice Wonderland I dislike Seo Ah too but something is bothering me, how is she supposed to act when BCW shared her mother's love? Surely there will be some jealousy in normal situation. But regarding JH, he never told her that he loved her, so she can not blame BCW. Seo Ah is evil, that's why the viewers hate her.

Yes! She's playing a victim while she is the bully. Whatever excuse she has that can't justify her action toward BCW. She made her quit school and she accused her of plagiarism! Not just that! She's taking in charge to support NR's plan in sabotaging BWC's work. And her mental breakdown, she's totally unstable! Someone should isolate her in mental institution. Even no one take her to the psychiatry to have a mental therapy. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, Alice Wonderland said:

And her mental breakdown, she's totally unstable! Someone should isolate her in mental institution. Even no one take her to the psychiatry to have a mental therapy. 

Btw, she once feigned break down in front of her mom, and one minute later her face turned to normal lol

@stroppyse I know you find Hae-Deun spoilt, she dreamed of being a rich daughter and wanted to be a kpop idol, but I find Bona a good actress, she is not tall (no offense meant), which is adding to Hae-Deun's "vulnerability"

Edited by Nohamahmoud2002
  • Like 1
On 12/22/2020 at 6:34 AM, Nohamahmoud2002 said:

@stroppyse I know you find Hae-Deun spoilt, she dreamed of being a rich daughter and wanted to be a kpop idol, but I find Bona a good actress, she is not tall (no offense meant), which is adding to Hae-Deun's "vulnerability"

The character of Hae Deun did feel very narcissistic and immature, but I also had issues with the way the actress was portraying the character, rather too over the top which made her more annoying and less sympathetic though there were clearly scenes where the viewers are supposed to sympathise with her.

However, I find that she's better in the scenes with Joon Ha. I think he's a good foil for her because she seems steadier and more confident in those scenes. In the scenes where she plays off against CBW or RW, the scenes are cute, but she kind of fades a bit into the background.

Anyway, Seo Ah is the one who is the most tiresome. It makes me laugh how much of a sulky baby she is as she throws screaming tantrums at work against CBW right after she has a tantrum at her mom in the office, even calling her mom, then she lectures CBW on proper behavior in the office. rofl  I know it's the writing probably that makes SA ludicrous, though I'm not sure if SA's scenes are supposed to be that funny?

The thing about this drama is that the villains really aren't that villainous, unlike the villains in the daily drama Man in a Veil.

Anyway, what I'm curious about most right now is Jung Hoo and Min Jae. They clearly still have to work through their issues with each other, though I'm not sure if that is going to lead them to being back to a couple or not.

I'm also just happy that Moong-sshi and Koala-sshi are still holding strong in their love and support for each other.

• Like 1

Preview for ep 31 with translation underneath

SA: What about Bit Chae Won?
JW: She said that she will sleep over at that house.
JW: Seo Ah, who do you think is the person who sent that email?
SA: Mom, are you perhaps suspecting me?
NR: Did you find Bit Chae Won’s birth father?
JH: What of it?
NR: Don’t you think that the person you are looking for might be close by you?
MJ: I came to meet Soon Jung-sshi. So, I’ll get going. Bye.
James: Bye
James: Oh! You forgot… Isn’t this Soon Jung’s? Why does Min Jae have it?
MJ: Oh no! So embarrassing!
JW: I’m sorry, Soon Jung-sshi. But thinking about the company…
SJ: It’s probably the your ambition.
SJ: I am going to remove her from my registry, and I would like Chae Won to be registered as your daughter.

I wonder if Jung Won is finally cluing in to the fact that SA is a backstabbing witch who is willing to risk the company in order to get what she wants? I think it's interesting that SA has been turned into an illogical brat with tantrums even. As far as this drama's depiction of the character, SA seems to be the epitome of nepotism since she doesn't seem to have the qualifications, talent or temperament to make it up an actual corporate ladder. And, she's not even aware of that which is why she feels its fine to break the rules with impunity and cause screeching scenes in the office in the middle of the day. Yet another reason why Korean corporate fiefdoms are such dire, horrible places. At least as depicted by K-dramas. K-dramas definitely do not do Korean corporations any favors at all, making them seem rather horrible places run by rather horrible people.

Anyway, I think I understand what SJ is doing, and she's being a mother who wants her beloved daughter BCW to be able to claim what she sees as her rightful birthright in a world which is exceedingly hard for people who aren't already born into wealthy families. Given how long and how hard BCW had to work before she finally entered the company and not wanting her to go through more of that in her life, I can sympathize with SJ's inclinations. Just because BCW is registered as JW's daughter rather than hers, BCW isn't going to lose access to SJ and her siblings, but as JW's daughter, BCW will have a lot more opportunities.

The risk is to JW since the scandal will involve JW, and indirectly the image of the company that she leads. Curious to see how she resolves it since I don't think that JW can honestly abandon her newly found daughter without seriously damaging her own sense of self.

BCW's father is another one who is hard to read. He seems to sincerely miss his daughter, but is also an opportunist. Btw, as a total aside, BCW's father and her aunt played a romantic couple in Shopping King Louis, so it's probably good that they don't have scenes together, or I might have thought that they were going to develop a love triangle with BCW's uncle as well. lol

As for Jung Hoo and Min Jae, I'm starting to think that perhaps they are going to get back together after all as a couple.

• Like 1