dark-hole.jpeg

Well, well , well , if 2020 was the year of the zombies, then 2021 could very well set of new trend for mutants. I have no idea if this would be done X-Men style but I do hope that the execution would not fail me. My anticipation is high because it is my dearest oppa Lee Joon Hyuk in the lead role alongside Kim Ok Vin (whom I thought was very good in OCN's The Children of The Lesser God  ).  This drama is also written by a rather experience screen writer - Jung Yi Do (정이도) who wrote Save Me ( which I liked a lot) , Strangers From Hell ( which I was too scared to watch ) and Item  . And fortunately,  this drama will be done by OCN, a channel well-known for mystery , thriller and action flicks.  Yes, 3 plus points there :wow2:

Sorry if you had to read me ramble about my excitement :lenny: ...but if you were looking for a quick synopsis , this was from AsianWiki:

Lee Hwa-Sun (Kim Ok-Vin) is a detective at the regional investigation unit of the Seoul Metropolitan Police Agency. She receives a phone call from the person who murdered her husband. Lee Hwa-Sun then travels to Muji City. There, people inhale a mysterious dark smoke and turn into monsters. The residents in Muji City become terrified. Lee Hwa-Sun struggles to save people there and she also chases after her husband's murderer.

Meanwhile, Yoo Tae-Han (Lee Joon-Hyuk) has lived in Muji City all of his life. He once worked as a detective, but he had to quit because of a case. He now works as a wrecker driver. His still has his strong of justice, while he is also easy going and a joker. Yoo Tae-Han now faces his city falling into chaos because of the dark smoke that causes people to turn into monsters. He joins Lee Hwa-Sun to save people in Muji City.

So the key thing to note is  the description of LJH's character here. Yes, seems like oppa is a good guy . Whoopee ! Ahh would this be like his character in 365 Repeat The Year  since he was clearly so adorable there? What caused him to quit ? Would there be romance ? Danger is always a great vehicle for romance :D As you can see I already have so many questions and cannot wait till this airs :Party01:

- written by abs-oluteM-

Director: Kim Bong-Joo

Writer: Jung Yi-Do

Network: OCN (will also be aired on TVN)

Episodes: 12

Expected Broadcast Date: 30 April 2021 (Friday)

Run time : Fri. & Sat. 22:50

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Awesome 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  -  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - 

Cast: 

Kim Ok-Vin - Lee Hwa-Sun
Lee Joon-Hyuk - Yoo Tae-Han
Lim Won-Hee - Park Soon-Il
Kim Byeong-Ki - Choi Kyung-Soo
Kim Han-Jong - Nam Young-Sik
Oh Yoo-Jin - Han Dong-Rim
Kim Do-Hoon - Lee Jin-Seok
Lee Ha-Eun - Yoon Saet-Byeol
Park Keun-Rok - Choi Seung-Tae
Song Sang-Eun - Kim Sunnyeo
Lim Ho-Jun - Nam Dong-Geun
Kim Mi-Ra - middle-aged woman 2
Jang Sung-Won
Jeon Young-Mi

Character chart credit https://twitter.com/LeeJoonHyuk6/status/1384439823474118658?s=20

EzaEqjHVkAAJX7S?format=jpg&name=900x900

• Like 2

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  -  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - 

• 3 weeks later...

After our conversation about sci-fi, I decided to look this one up and it does sound like something up my alley. And the fact that it's an OCN drama seals the deal for me. I can usually handle some sci-fi horror along the lines of Fringe.

I will be on the look out for this next year. I'm super fond of LJH and Kim Ok-vin is a decent actor. Hope it's pre-produced... sounds like it will have to be because of the special effects needed to achieve some of those scenarios. 

Edited by 40somethingahjumma
  • Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 1

Currently Watching: Queen of Tears, In Blossom

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

@40somethingahjumma I read an article that said it is targeting a mid year release. That will give some time to finish production.

Article from Dramabeans

New OCN action-thriller casts Kim Ok-bin, Lee Jun-hyuk

by tccolb

A new action-thriller is being planned on OCN called Dark Hole and casting has been confirmed for Kim Ok-bin (Arthdal Chronicles) and Lee Jun-hyuk (Forest of Secrets 2).

The story is centered around a small town where the black smoke of an unknown substance is found drifting out from a sinkhole. The people who breathe it in become infected by the smoke — turning into monster-like creatures — and the world becomes a battleground in the fight for survival among the remaining humans.

Kim Ok-bin takes on the role of police detective Lee Hwa-sun, who works in the investigations unit. She had no family other than her husband, but he was cruelly taken away from her by a serial killer. As she tries to chase down the culprit, though, she is lured by the killer to come to a small town and she finds herself in the middle of a different conflict. The once quiet town is in a state of chaos and more and more people are being lost to mysterious black smoke.

Lee Jun-hyuk plays a native of the small town, Yoo Tae-han, who works as a rickshaw driver. He has a carefree spirit and can appear silly at times, but he knows when to be serious and has a strong sense of justice. Although he had once been a police officer, he had to resign due to a misunderstanding, and he is still proud of his past experiences. His skills come in handy as well when he meets Kim Ok-bin and they team up to help save the townspeople.

As another installment in OCN’s ongoing dramatic cinema project, Dark Hole will be directed by film director Kim Bong-joo (The Phone) who worked with Kim Ok-bin previously when he was assistant director on Over My Dead Body. And scripts will be penned by writer Jung Yi-do (Hell Is Other People).

OCN’s new drama Dark Hole is currently being planned to air in the early half of 2021.

Casting news: 

Yong Jung Hoon

2020110614474033095_1.jpg

Lee Ha Eun

- this girl was in The Model Detective - the daughter of the inmate Lee Dae Chul 

105692442.1.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

@abs-oluteM

Is LJH's character really a rickshaw driver as listed in the DB article? That's a bit odd.

When is the show set?

It doesn't make sense right...but I think it is a translation issue. Think he works in construction

MDL which takes their synopsis from Soompi says this: 

Yoo Tae Han is a native of Mujishi and a wreck car driver.

Lol! That seems even weirder . 

• Haha 3

34 minutes ago, abs-oluteM said:

It doesn't make sense right...but I think it is a translation issue. Think he works in construction

MDL which takes their synopsis from Soompi says this: 

Yoo Tae Han is a native of Mujishi and a wreck car driver.

Lol! That seems even weirder . 

Well, the wreck car driver makes a lot more sense to me actually. :laugh:

What that says to me is that he works in a car wrecking yard. The customer leaves the keys with him and he takes it out to the yard to be scrapped and chopped up for parts. Some wreckers have collection services.

• Insightful 3

Currently Watching: Queen of Tears, In Blossom

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Kim Ok Bin And Lee Joon Hyuk Attend Script Reading For Upcoming OCN Drama

Soompi

OCN has unveiled a photo from the script reading of “Dark Hole” (literal title), its upcoming Saturday-Sunday original drama.

“Dark Hole” is a thriller about a group of survivors who have to fight for their lives against mutants that are created when humans breathe mysterious dark smoke from a sinkhole.

At the script reading were director Kim Bong Joo, writer Jung Yi Do, and actors Kim Ok Bin, Lee Joon Hyuk, Im Won Hee, Kim Byung Gi, Kim Han Jong, Oh Yoo Jin, Kim Do Hoon, Lee Ha Eun, Song Sang Eun, and Park Geun Rok.

The actors brought to life the tension in the storyline as OCN attempts a “mutant survival” drama for the first time. Kim Ok Bin showed her character’s charismatic strength in the role of Lee Hwa Sun, a police detective. Lee Joon Hyuk immersed himself in his character, a tow truck driver named Yoo Tae Han who seems carefree on the outside but has a strong sense of justice.

Oh Yoo Jin plays Han Dong Rim, a student at the local high school who fights desperately not to fall into the clutches of those who want to use her for their own ends. Kim Do Hoon plays Lee Jin Suk, the local bully who torments Han Dong Rim, and Kim Han Jong plays Yoo Tae Han’s close friend and fellow tow truck driver Nam Young Sik.

Lee Ha Eun plays Yoon Saet Byul, a nurse at the local hospital who will help the people who fall into chaos when the mutants appear. Im Won Hee plays Park Soon Il, a sergeant in the local patrol division. Park Geun Rok rounds out the cast as Choi Seung Tae, a teacher at the local high school who tries to save people even in the midst of a panic.

Screenwriter Jung Yi Do (who worked on “Save Me” and “Strangers From Hell”) said, “It’s to be expected, but the script feels so different when actors begin to perform. These words that existed only on paper have had life breathed into them.”

“Dark Hole” is set to premiere sometime in the first half of 2021.

-----------------

Promotional video

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@mademoiselle he looks good. See the 2nd photo !

@40somethingahjumma @ktcjdrama @SilverMoonTea Looks like his character will be similar to his role in 365 Repeat The Year

@Keyta come watch. 

105939132.1.jpg

OCN's Saturday-Sunday original "Dark Hole" (played by Jung Do, directed by Kim Bong-joo) is a survival drama about mutants who drank black smoke from the sinkhole and those who survived. Jeong Do-do and the production team of 2019 OCN's most talked-about work "Others Are Hell" once again have joined forces to herald the birth of the well-made genre. And Lee Jun-hyuk's addition, which has a wide spectrum of acting, charisma, and action that crosses good and bad, further amplifies the expectation.

Lee Joon-hyuk plays the role of Yoo Tae-han, a "Muji City" native Lekka driver. He seems to be a a person who enjoys jokes and pranks, but he actually has a stronger sense of justice than anyone else. Although he has taken off his police uniform now, he is always proud of his days. 

Tae-han plans to actively try to save people by helping detective Lee Hwa-sun (Kim Ok-bin), who met in Muji City, which is in trouble due to the mutants. The still cut released today (18th) captured Tae-han, who is looking around with a stiff look. His face reveals the seriousness of his situation. However, his performance in a world of desperate survival is expected to be more pronounced because he has both a sense of relaxation and justice.

The production team said, "Unlike his relaxed appearance, Tae-han's consideration and justice are the charm of Tae-han, which was further maximized through Lee Joon-hyuk's character analysis and preparation." The synergy created by Lee Joon-hyuk, who turned into Tae-han, who tries to save people, with Kim Ok-bin is also beyond imagination. Please look forward to his  performance.

https://sports.donga.com/article/all/20210318/105939158/1

• Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 2

105919474.1.jpg

Kim Ok-bin, who exudes her unique presence in every work, including the movie "The Evil Woman" and the drama "The Asdal Chronicles," plays the role of Lee Hwa-sun, a detective at the Seoul Metropolitan Police Agency. One late night, she gets a phone call from a murderer who killed her husband, her only family member, and you witness people who drank mysterious black smoke and turned into monsters. In this place, which was eroded by fear, she will chase the murderer who killed her husband, while fighting against the mutants. 

While the short explanation alone feels the character's firm texture, the first still cut released today (17th) shows these characters at a glance. Even in a chaotic situation, the sharp eyes penetrating the scene of the incident are intense. In particular, the professional aura of detective Kwang Soo-dae is felt in Hwaseon, who aimed a gun at someone without missing the tension. As Kim Ok-bin, who has renewed her life character with her own color in every work, expectations for the birth of a differentiated detective character will be seen in "Lee Hwa-sun". 

"Hwasun is a three-dimensional person who has to chase the killer who killed her husband and fight a survival war to survive among mutants," the production team said, "so Kim Ok-bin is showing a deeper acting than ever." "You will be able to feel the true value of Kim Ok-bin in this new genre '," he expressed with confidence.

https://sports.donga.com/article/all/20210317/105919605/1

• Like 4