Gao Sheng as Jiang Yun
Wang Qian as Qing Dai
Zhan Yu as Song Jin
Zhang Yi Cong as Yuan Lang
Ma Ya Shu as Royal Consort Guo
Deng Ying
Han Rui as He Yong Zhong

Synopsis:

The story of a witty young girl named Qiu Yan and a cold-faced duke named Liang Yi, who goes from battling each other with wits and boldness, to understanding and accompanying each other. (Credit: dramawiki)

Helpful Links

Weibo l

• Like 2
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Tofu said:

@40somethingahjumma @IpohBanana Have you tried this drama? It's actually not too bad. 

Thanks for the heads up. I love Jeremy Tsui and will probably watch it for him.

• Party! 1

Currently Watching: Queen of Tears, In Blossom

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

4 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

Thanks for the heads up. I love Jeremy Tsui and will probably watch it for him.

Let me know how you like it if you start watching it! So far, I'm enjoying it. The female lead can be a little reckless (and too much) at times but she has a lot of odds against her. I can understand that she's had to be that way to survive and some of the points she brings up makes sense too. 

I love Jeremy Tsui and hope that he forever stays in historical dramas. I think he match the hairstyle in that period really well. :heart: 

• Star Struck 2
5 hours ago, Tofu said:

I love Jeremy Tsui and hope that he forever stays in historical dramas. I think he match the hairstyle in that period really well. :heart: 

He's great and I love hearing him speaking in his own voice. And definitely agree about him being in historical dramas. 

It's not a bad show so far. At least it's a somewhat serious show with realistic family dynamics.

• Clapping Hands 2

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

Interview with the leads with spoilery material.

This is such a fun show and I do enjoy the Pride and Prejudice dynamic here. I didn't really know this was partly a detective show as well but so much the better. It doesn't break new ground but the chemistry between the leads is great. And it's always hugely entertaining when the male lead is opportunistic and cunning.

I think this is probably up @abs-oluteM's alley as well. 

Edited by 40somethingahjumma
  • Insightful 3

1 hour ago, abs-oluteM said:

@Tofu @40somethingahjumma Just caught the trailer...oh actor is handsome ! And looks fun. Will check out the episodes this weekend. 

Jeremy Xu's smoky vocal delivery is guaranteed to lure in hook, line and sinker. 

It is fun. People are comparing this to Maiden Holmes and Minglan. But it's Pride and Prejudice all the way for me. (And a bit of Imperial Coroner)

• Clapping Hands 2

21 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

Interview with the leads with spoilery material.

Thanks for sharing this! Seems like we have some angst coming up soon for the leads. 

21 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

It doesn't break new ground but the chemistry between the leads is great. And it's always hugely entertaining when the male lead is opportunistic and cunning.

Agreed! Nothing super extraordinary but I love the chemistry between the leads. I like that the romance is not the main focus even those it's the drive for many of Liang Yi's actions. 

I'm caught up to the most recent episodes now and just a few thoughts I have so far:

• Qiu Yan, while smart, can be really set in her ways and a bit reckless -- even meddlesome at times too. 
  • I can't understand why Qiu Min left the group when they escaped. She said something about making it on her own, but she went to Qin Xuan? After a night of drinking, Qiu Min consoled Qin Xuan by allowing him to mistaken her for Qiu Yan -- they ended up sleeping together. Qiu Min is timid and less willing to speak her mind but she has a cunning side too.
  • Going back to the escape, I'm glad all the ladies decided to set aside their difference and band together to escape. I was worried when Qiu Ying was disclosing things to Yuan Lang. 
  • Qiu Yan and Liang Yi faking their relationship is hilarious but I love see both of them together! I hope they realize their feelings soon -- seems like Liang Yi has realized his though. 

Jeremy Tsui. :wow:

TAB-05.gif
TAB-07.gif

• Star Struck 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

@abs-oluteM lol, I dunno about the cheekbones, but there's something about the way he carries himself that catches my attention and the voice simply takes my breath away. The FL though, hhmmmm, there's something a little off about her, it's either the voice or the way she behaves, something I can't quite put my finger on. Overall, though, I am amazed that by E20 of a drama, and their relationship isn't official yet. The plot is really quite something I must say, giving them lots of excuses to be together plus the skinship, when they aren't really an item yet. The upcoming trailers top if off - a fake marriage, one that placates the mother and again, titillates the viewers' palates? lol, way to go show!

• Clapping Hands 4

What do you know? I watched 3 episodes on top of my kdramas. I would hv continued if tomorrow wasn't a working day . The plot definitely reminded me a bit of the Imperial Coroner @40somethingahjumma when she & her "cousin" started doing the autopsy on her dead "husband" . I didn't read up much about the show before watching - so I was pleasantly surprised to see how they met. It does feel like I am watching some sort of crime procedural especially with her trying to prove that her marriage should be null & void since he had gotten married before this. 

@IpohBananaThe FL is not to bad for me . I haven't seen her in anything but at least she's written to be quite balanced so far. She's witty and wily with clear survival instincts so I find her not hard to root for.  I can't say there's off the chart chemistry with ML but I did enjoy their interactions. The ML is quite fascinating as he also has his own agenda and seems rather crafty himself. My first time watching Jeremy Tsui but I understand why you've fallen hard @Tofu :hug:

• Clapping Hands 2

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: The Impossible Heir - Fri-Sat:  -  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - In Blossom, Guess Who I Am

10 hours ago, IpohBanana said:

I like the ML's voice, whether it's his or a VO, either way, it catches my attention, the deep voice and the diction are good. 

It's his real voice and I think all the voices might be their real ones -- at least, I know the male lead and second male lead are using their real voices. I'm not too familiar with the female leads, but it doesn't seem like they are voice overs. 

5 hours ago, IpohBanana said:

Overall, though, I am amazed that by E20 of a drama, and their relationship isn't official yet.

I watched to episode 22 and nothing is official either. It's obvious that Liang Yi likes Qiu Yan, but she has yet to discover her feelings. There was a moment when she was asked to think of someone she hate and love and she thought of him.

Continuing on about Qiu Min, I dislike watching her try so hard with Qin Xuan. I don't think she needs to sell herself short when it comes to him, but I understand she's in survival mode right now. He is basically her benefactor and she has to do what she can to live the lifestyle she wants. I don't know what's going to happen when Qin Xuan finds out that she's been lying to him, it probably won't go well. 

New poster of the leads.

Spoiler

0089-ZIqcly1gziwenn1tcj30u01hcgvx.jpg

0089-ZIqcly1gziwebc1g2j30u01hcdoc.jpg

Episode 27 Teaser

Spoiler

Episode 28 Teaser

Spoiler

• Insightful 1

@abs-oluteM I recommend that you watch this show very slowly because once you get through them all, you'll be hankering for more.

Spoilers ahead...

There's little doubt that the best part of this drama has got to be the leads. Although I enjoy the criminal investigation side of things, it is really the dynamic and interactions between Qiu Yan and Liang Yi that make this crack television. The writing for how they meet, clash and then embark on this "enemies becomes lovers" trajectory is really good. It's so well written that it is patently obvious why the two of them should be together despite the fact that Qin Xuan is such a sweet fellow and thoroughly committed to Qiu Yan. Of course it doesn't hurt that Jeremy is so good in this and easy on the eyes. And ears. 

Truth be told I don't think Qiu Yan was ever really committed wholeheartedly to Qin Xuan in the same way that he is to her. He was her ticket out of a life of dreariness and oppression. He was willing as well. It must have been deeply flattering that this popular wealthy young man with rock star status took notice of her and was very quickly enamoured by her ways. However, he comes from a conventional family background headed by a traditional dad and she would be swapping one kind of oppression with another. They could elope I suppose as he offered to but his parents will probably go looking for him. She would never gain any kind of respect from that family. 

Fortunately for the leads, Yuan Lang meddles in Liang Yi's marriage plans. The latter was going to go ahead and marry the "wrong" sister to fulfill his reformist agenda. When Yuan Lang put a kibosh to that, he set into motion a series of events which allows Liang Yi his second chance at being with the woman he really loves. She's his true love match and partner-in-crime as the earlier episodes indicate. He missed the boat the first time and inadvertently sent Qiu Yan into Qin Xuan's arms. It was a temporary hiccup as it were which he now has the opportunity to rectify. They are meant to be together to solve crimes and be instrumental in making changes to their world. They are not people who live in quiet or safety. They can't help but rock the boat because they are ambitious people with a mission. This is the real reason why Qin Xuan is the "wrong" man.

The other thing too is that Qiu Yan can only really be honest with Liang Yi. He gets her and she has no need of pretence in front of him. When he accuses her of using seduction tricks, instead of denying it she tells him why not? If men can strategize to get ahead in their profession, why can't women do the same? When she's trying to dig her way out of the Preceptor's lab, she tells him that more than marrying a rich man out of her predicament, she would prefer the freedom to live the way she wants. 

Recent events also shows that Liang Yi's family background suits Qiu Yan much more. He has a very broad-minded mother who is gleeful that her aloof son has finally shown an interest in a woman and the prospect of grandchildren on the way. She won't have mother-in-law problems ever.

This is not to say that Yuan Lang means well. He is a self-righteous fraud who thinks he is on some kind just crusade to thwart Liang Yi's plans. If he were really only interested in suppressing Liang Yi's ambition he wouldn't have used innocent bystanders as collateral. He wouldn't have needed to in the first place because that would be plenty of material. He couldn't get Liang Yi even on a trumped up charge. All he's doing to proving and justifying what happened to him three years earlier when he was banished. 

The Qiu family falling on hard times hasn't been entirely a bad thing for them. They were a disunified, dysfunctional lot with all kinds of secrets. Recent events have served to bring them closer together, and brought about unity to them in a time of adversity. That's been very heartening to see. The women of the household rallying around Qiu Yan as she becomes a courtesan (albeit temporarily) of the Royal Academy shows that they've finally understood that they can't continue being the way they used to be.

A tribute to Jeremy Xu as Liang Yi

• Insightful 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

@Tofu Yes, I watched a BTS and realised that it his his real voice, oh my, I could listen to it all day. LOL

Thanks @40somethingahjumma for your write-up, as ever, your POV is such an enjoyable read.

@abs-oluteM I think it's the way she pronounces her words (at times), it's as if she purposely articulates them and it sounds a little unnatural to me. It doesn't arise when she's drunk or tipsy, it's only when she's explaining certain things and is supposed to sound 'smart', that's when something sounds off. With regards to her character and how she's been tango-ing with the ML to pull fleece over other people's eyes, that's fine. I don't get off the charts chemistry as well, but then again, maybe that's how their characters are supposed to be. I'll wait till the episode where he's 

Spoiler

been injured and she's lost her wits about him being unconscious and I'll re-evaluate whether her feelings for him/chemistry appear more intense! Till then...

• Like 3

@IpohBanana I totally understand your explanation of FL acting. The acting does fel kinda off but since so many people are enjoying this drama . I will continue, ML does have a sexy voice and this will be my very first time within him. 
I finished episode 1 and I almost dropped it. 
Will be back after watching a few more episodes  to decide if I will continue 

Min’er does hate Qui Yan. She is also very jealous of her sister. I was wondering why the synopsis said she was an unloved daughter when it is her own mother who ignores her when her own son is selfish due to her doting on her.  Qui Yan’s uncle, aunts, sister and brother doesn’t love her. I totally get why she seems so whiny ( no offense). Qui Yan is the Feminist of this era and she wants to make some changes for woman everywhere. 

@Tofu what do you think? 

• Like 2
  • Party! 1

Favorite Favorite Artist  Bae Doona, Moon Chae Won, Gong Hyo Jin, Cho Seung Woo, Jang Hyuk,, Jo In Sung,  Gong Yoo

Drama watching now: Plot Love,  Chimera ,The Psychologist, Always have,Always will , Show Windows: Queens House

giphy.gif?cid=5e214886eec2613ca3d8dfa457

giphy.gif?cid=5e214886eec2613ca3d8dfa457

Min’er crying because her mom dotes on Qui Yan is just stupid.  She dote’s on her because they have the same similarities. If only Min’er had the same taste as her mom than all three of them would be close.

Episode 2 ML shows up to make sure QY was in her best behavior. I can understand why she does what she does but she is way to impulsive.  She needs to wake up and take the ML’s advice. 

• Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 1

Favorite Favorite Artist  Bae Doona, Moon Chae Won, Gong Hyo Jin, Cho Seung Woo, Jang Hyuk,, Jo In Sung,  Gong Yoo

Drama watching now: Plot Love,  Chimera ,The Psychologist, Always have,Always will , Show Windows: Queens House

@IpohBanana and @UnniSara

Happy to see that you're watching/ trying The Autumn Ballad.

I'm not a huge fan of Qiao Xin in general (seen her in other things before) but she does have good chemistry with Jeremy so somehow their dynamic works for me. I think it's partly because she's doing the tomboy thing and she's acting a lot of the time like a modern woman. She also sounds like she's crying a lot because of that drawl she puts on. However, I think she's a lot better when she acts like a genteel lady. Now that she's pretending to be his concubine, acting demure she's much better. Especially when there aren't any big movements coming from her. 

@UnniSaraI would give it a few episodes more although I personally didn't mind the show from  the first episode. It does get better as the story progresses. 

Qiu Yan is impulsive and sometimes reckless but mostly it's because she feels that no one cares enough . 

I am a big fan of bickering and banter between the leads in those early episodes. I love Liang Yi but he can be really mean.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

@40somethingahjumma I think you've nailed it, it's certainly the drawl that she puts on. I couldn't quite express it in words, thank heavens you've gone right out and said it! And you are right, when she acts demure, it doesn't quite sound so contrived. I am supposed to have seen her in NIF, but for the life of me, I can't recall her appearing in that drama. Other than that, I've not watched any of her other works before. The one thing that stands out about her is her height; she certainly ain't petite, so looking like a damsel in distress won't work for me as far as she's concerned.

@Tofu @UnniSara

All said and done, I will stick through it because of the ML, and of course the storyline ain't that bad after all. [Incidentally, Jeremy's soon to appear in Be My Princess (BMP) with Zhou Jie Qiong, who I first saw in Ms Truth. It's coming soon in iQiyi. Her acting in Ms Truth was passable but not memorable, I was definitely more into Toby Lee than her; I loved the story, Ms Truth, so much so I google translated the novel which was nothing like the drama. This drama, BMP, sounds terribly like Love Script - I just hope the writing for the former fares better than the latter did.]

I've watched E29-30 trailers and I like to name such episodes as "The Empire Strikes Back". With four more episodes to go, the adrenaline is bound to flow for us and the good guys. Hwaiting Team Liang Yi!

Edited by IpohBanana
  • Clapping Hands 1
  • Party! 3