Director: Jiang Jia Jun

Broadcast Period: 11/3/2020

Cast:

Tiffany Tang as Xiao Yanyan
Shawn Dou as Han Derang
Charmaine Sheh as Xiao Hunian
Jing Chao as Yelü Xian

Synopsis:

The drama chronicles the life of Xiao Yanyan, who becomes the most powerful woman of the Liao dynasty after marrying Yelü Xian. Though their marriage was not one built on romance, the policies she instated has helped her earn the respect and love of her husband. Xiao Yanyan becomes empress dowager after her husband's death, and is finally free to marry her childhood sweetheart and main love interest Han Derang, who had become the most influential Han official in the Liao court.

Sources:

dramawiki

@Lynne @NiteWalker Moderator tag to get it added to the directory list.

Trailer

OSTs

Reserved

Helpful Links

l

• Like 1

This is so far more interesting than I had expected. I would even go so far as to say that it's good. The prospect of 60 episodes is rather off-putting but if they can maintain the pacing and momentum all throughout, it could turn out to be a winner. What's really grabbing me at the moment is the fascinating look at Khitan culture during this transition period in their history.

Tiffany Yan plays the youngest daughter of the prime minister of Liao. She's your typical noisy, spunky tomboy who you know... despite the bratty bravado... is destined for big things. She's being paired off with Shawn Dou's Han Derang, who's one of the most unflappable good natured male leads I've ever met.

This is no fairy tale however. It's sad to see these two people in happier times now bracing oneself for what is to come. 

This is one for those who enjoy a serious palace political drama.

Edited by 40somethingahjumma
  • Like 1
  • Insightful 2

Currently Watching: Queen of Tears, In Blossom

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

22 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

Tiffany Yan plays the youngest daughter of the prime minister of Liao. She's your typical noisy, spunky tomboy who you know... despite the bratty bravado... is destined for big things. She's being paired off with Shawn Dou's Han Derang, who's one of the most unflappable good natured male leads I've ever met.

oooo im glad that finally some of Shawn's works is being shown.....a lot of his work couldnt hit the screen.....

• Party! 1

Apparently it isn't 60 episodes but 48 so it does explain why the show is moving as quickly as it is. 

I had no idea that Khitan rule once included much of Northeastern China, Mongolia, Russia and a fair chunk of the Korean Peninsula. 

Three sisters of Liao (Khitan) whose father is the prime minister find their way to marriage. Reluctantly and willingly. First time I've ever seen Liu Yijun play a non-villain character and here he is not only a statesman but a considerate and loving father who carries the weight of the country's affairs on his shoulders. Under the current regime, Liao is going nowhere.

The loving relationship among the sisters is nice to see and I certainly hope that it survives the political tumult that is to come. The men in their lives seem to cherish them and again, I hope that lasts especially for Wuguli. I don't know how trustworthy Xinyi will be down the line but I'm hoping for the best. Wuguli isn't the brightest light bulb in the room almost got the entire family into hot soup.

The oldest, Hunian enters into marriage with Yasage, the current emperor's younger brother. Although she's not in love with him, he will be good to her because he, I believe genuinely loves her. 

Sadly Mingyi, the son of the previous emperor who has aspirations to the throne also has his eye on Yanyan. Poor Han Derang. After serving Mingyi so faithfully and helping him to get the throne. He won't get his heart's desire because she is destined for bigger and better things.

This show more than keeps me occupied while I wait for Ruyi Pavilion and other dramas.

3 hours ago, NiteWalker said:

oooo im glad that finally some of Shawn's works is being shown.....a lot of his work couldnt hit the screen.....

Yeah, I've been wondering about Shawn. Last time I saw him was in Tribes and Empires. That wasn't even complete!

He does well as these sorts of cheerful, likeable characters. 

• Like 2

Currently Watching: Queen of Tears, In Blossom

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.