20 minutes ago, Chocolate said:

Lee Eun Hyuk - This seems like pointless sacrifice. He can see that Hyun Su and even Ui Myeong could control their monster. He is strong-willed and intelligent - logically, he should at least have attempted to live especially as he liked that ballerina girl. That should have been extra incentive.

Re-watch? 😱 I have to see if I love it that much first LOL.

Girl you need a re-watch. The ballerina girl is Eun Yoo, Eun Hyuk's sister. In one of the above tweets of Lee Do Hyun's interview mentioning about Eun Hyuk's character, he explained that Eun Hyuk doesn't believe monster wouldn't harm anyone that is why he chose to stay behind. And truthfully I think he was kind of right because no one can guarantee this — even Hyun Soo looked like he had lost control until Doo Shik Ahjussi appear, and at his expense that Hyun Soo returned to his human form.

What I've read about Eun Hyuk in the webtoon is that Eun Hyuk's desire is to protect his loved ones. In the finale, he actually turned into a cocoon with Hyun Soo in it and protected Hyun Soo. :idk:

The only part that made me cringe a bit was when Sang Wook put that lit cigarette into the paedophile's mouth.

Oh yeah I did screw up my face for this scene as well. Ugh.

One thing that is not so consistent is that there is no timeline of when a person would change. By right, those who are mentally weaker and have more insidious desires should change earlier. That means, at the minimum, 2 of the useless men (the one who tried to take all the water when he realised there was a shortage and the one who pressed the alert for the military) should have changed earlier than Lee Eun Hyuk.

Hahaha I called this guy Mr. Vain. He had Hyun Soo ran errand for him to his apartment for SUNSCREEN. Like dude, you're on lockdown, why do you even need sunscreens? And in that short moment, I notice he has posters of himself on the wall. So yeah, Mr. Vain. I hate him! I can't believe he gets to live. I agree with you, though I also think perhaps his desire was not as strong as the ones that turned first. I'd also think the paedophile should have been monsterised before anybody too.

I prefer that Sang Wook became a monster and was the one driving the truck with Hyun Su. It would be nice if they formed a team for S2. However, if it was Ui Myeong, that would make the show more thrilling because that one is a real baddie, so we will be at the edge of our seats wondering when he will turn against Hyun Su.

I think in a way Sang Wook's story has been told and explored. And if he survived S2, he would just be a machine monster killer and no more? So perhaps it'd be better to explore Ui Myeong in Sang Wook's body next and continues to have him playing the villain.

I always thought they should have just chopped off the ear of that headless monster. That would have solved the problem

Awww no, I liked this blind monster the most! Looks like Gremlins and he made me jumped twice (and even on rewatch). And maybe if you cut it off, it will regenerate? His head was sliced before his monsterisation was complete so that didn't grow back but the ear might. :pandathink: It was funny he was thrown out the window by Protein Monster :eeeee:

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 1
  • Insightful 2
16 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

Girl you need a re-watch. The ballerina girl is Eun Yoo, Eun Hyuk's sister.

Awww no, I liked this blind monster the most! Looks like Gremlins and he made me jumped twice (and even on rewatch). And maybe if you cut it off, it will regenerate? His head was sliced before his monsterisation was complete so that didn't grow back but the ear might. :pandathink: It was funny he was thrown out the window by Protein Monster :eeeee:

Arghhh! So embarrassing! She fixed his glasses and he liked it! I thought there was romance!

The monsters are more comedy than scary LOL.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

When it comes to gore, the 'Sweet Home' series proves more is more

When Netflix original series “Sweet Home” was released on Friday, it dominated online portal sites, communities and social media. While the series saw its fair share of criticism, the overwhelming response has been positive, with viewers praising high-quality visual effects technology used to create the monsters and the deep human connections among the characters as they fight for survival.  

The story focuses on different facets of humanity as the main protagonist Hyun-su and residents of the apartment complex “Green Home” fight against people-turned-monsters, which are manifested from their deepest human desires.  

Hyun-su, an orphan who moves into Green Home, is one of the lead characters in "Sweet Home."[NETFLIX]

Hyun-su, an orphan who moves into Green Home, is one of the lead characters in "Sweet Home."[NETFLIX]

Even before its release, the series instigated whispers of anticipation and piqued the curiosity of the awaiting audience as it was adapted from the hugely popular Naver webtoon of the same title and is the work of star producer-turned-director Lee Eung-bok, who is also behind many mega-popular series such as “Guardian” (2016-2017), “Mr. Sunshine” (2018) on tvN and “Descendants of the Sun” (2016) on KBS.  

Adapting a series from well-received original content has its pros and cons: while it may garner interest ahead of its premiere, if the visualization of the story does not match the expectations of the fans, backlash is likely to ensue. 

It's why the first priority for Lee when he took on the project was to remain in sync with the high-quality plot settings and visualization of the monsters.

The spider monster which terrorizes the residents of Green Home. [NETFLIX]

The spider monster which terrorizes the residents of Green Home. [NETFLIX]

“In the original webtoon, characters are really dimensional and situations are very descriptive, and I contemplated for a long time about the advantages of bringing the narrative to the screen,” Lee said during an online interview Monday. "I think because I was so caught up with getting the visuals right, I felt [relatively] less pressure."

It seems like Lee’s struggles paid off, as the series shot to the No. 1 spot on Netflix's most-watched list in eight countries, including Korea, and sits at No. 8 in the United States, No. 9 in Mexico and No. 10 in France on Monday. As for the United States, it’s the first time a Korean show has made it into the top 10.  

“Other countries such as the United States have already advanced far in technology to visualize such genres involving monstrous creatures or zombies, but I think what was distinct about our series was the focus on clashes between characters, and the process of how they struggled not to become monsters,” Lee said. “We did our best to depict the monsters as closely as we could from the original, which was the most difficult part. We didn’t want them to feel awkward or artificial, and the series provided an opportunity for us to think about how we should approach screen projects and what we want to show to the viewers when adapting from original webtoons or novels.”

Lee said the solidarity formed among the Green Home residents is the most crucial factor in “Sweet Home.”

Residents of Green Home learn to stick together in the face of an apocalypse which turns people into monsters. [NETFLIX]

Residents of Green Home learn to stick together in the face of an apocalypse which turns people into monsters. [NETFLIX]

“If the story [only] focused on physically destroying the monsters, it would have felt like a game,” Lee said. “The solidarity between the people as they fight the monsters was most important, and I deliberated about how the residents come together in different situations.  

“For instance, in the case of Ji-su and Jae-heon, although they start off as awkward neighbors, they part having formed a passionate relationship,” Lee said. “For Sang-wook and Yu-ri, they have parallel images: The former is a hit man who was, in a way, already a monster, while Yu-ri is a caretaker. How the two opposite human beings come together is an attraction that is as entertaining as fighting off the monsters.”

The "Sweet Home" series was not only Lee’s first time to try his hand at a Netflix show but was also his first time working with the horror genre; most of his previous shows had centered around romance. But after the experience he says he definitely saw the attraction the genre holds.  

“Not only monsters, but I think the appearance of an enemy that we’ve never imagined is also an attractive topic,” Lee said. “But no matter where they come from—whether humans turn into monsters, or they fall from outer space or rise out of the depths of the ocean—what’s important is how people resolve the crisis and unite through humanity.”

Although the director appeared excited that the show struck a chord with the majority of viewers, he also seemed keen on following up on the criticisms and points on what the show lacked.  

One of them was that as the show goes on, the narrative focuses on the stories among the residents rather than the fight against the monsters, which was a disappointment for fans who enjoy hardcore gore.  

“I don’t think it was depicted well in the series, but in one of the endings of the webtoon, the muscle monster becomes giant through eating other monsters [and that’s why monsters are absent in the latter episodes]. After people get rid of the muscle monster, intruders—humans who are even more monstrous than monsters—come and mess up the complex. Their intrusion probes Hyun-su’s deepest desires to turn himself into the all-powerful monster," Lee said.  

“I know some of the viewers were anticipating more gore, but I hope they will understand why monsters were absent from some parts of our drama,” Lee added.

The director also addressed local viewers' complaints about some of the soundtrack, which they pointed out felt out of place.  
“In the case of Imagine Dragon’s ‘Warriors,’ I think for those of us who were [already] familiar with the music might have found it strange or baffling,” he said. “But for me the song really consoled me and I hoped it would become a cheer song for humans fighting the creatures. But I realize that there were parts where the song felt unexpected. The same goes for rapper BewhY’s ‘Side by Side.’ I felt the lyrics were cheering on Hyun-su, but [now] I see that [viewers] may feel differently.”

The ending of the first season leaves open the possibility for another season, and Lee hopes that will be the case but says nothing has been set yet. 

“What I deliberated on the most [for the first season] is that if humans could understand each other without interaction,” Lee said. “There are moments in the story where people seem like monsters when they are blinded by the prejudice that comes from physical appearance or shape, and I think the original webtoon provided a good metaphor [of monsters] which represented various social issues such as the treatment of social minorities, racism and gapjil [power abuse]. I wanted to ask the audience how people could live together through interaction and if they could redeem each other.”

BY LEE JAE-LIM   [lee.jaelim@joongang.co.kr]

source

• Like 2
  • Star Struck 1
On 12/28/2020 at 8:10 AM, mademoiselle said:

@abs-oluteM My interpretation is that this "curse" is not necessarily triggered by the kind like the 7 sins—the desires won't necessary be all sinister. It's rather whatever our inner most desire is. It can be anything depending on each individual. The first monster that appeared is a Hungry Monster, because she's always hungry. Like that grocery ahjussi, Eun Hyuk knocked him over before so we found out he wore a wig and later he turned into a monster with a lot of hair. Thus that's his desire, to have hair again.

That said, I'm still figuring out what desire Song Kang has that made him a monster. The fact that he was resisting so he didn't fully become one makes it harder to guess. If you guys have some thoughts about this, do share. Did he perhaps want freedom...?

On 12/28/2020 at 7:10 PM, mademoiselle said:

That paedophile storyline is another good one, don't you think? A depiction of a real monster in human form. I had no empathy for him or what Sang Wook did even though I know it was wrong of Sang Wook to do so. Justice had to be served and he doesn't even deserve death immediately for what he did.

When they say infected it doesn't literally meant infected through bites because then Yi Kyung would be the first to turn because she was attacked by the blood sucking tongue monster first.

Thanks for all the explanation @mademoiselle. I have finished up to eps 5 and I am finally beginning to understand that this is no medical condition. It is not infectious which is why being bitten by a monster doesn't necessarily turn you into one like in Sang Wook's case. And I had initially thought  that selfish sinful desires provided the catalyst to one becoming cursed this way. But if that were the case , the pedophile would have turned a long time ago. I am beginning to think that unfulfilled desires & how desperate you are for those desires to come through are necessary for the change. In the pedophile's case , he was already a monster. I thought that Sang Wook did the right thing killing him. In Hyun Soo's case perhaps he could withstand the change because he was grappling with his inner desire to leave this world. He had wanted to kill himself before this as there was no purpose . But as he begin to start saving people , like he did those young children , perhaps something in him changed. There was reason to continue living.

The residents had thought that Sang Wook is the man to fear - he is or looks like a gangster after all. But they realised now that this scarred face man had no ill intentions. They likely thought him a bad person but he turned out the most humane one after all. If he hadn't killed that pedophile, those young children would be in danger. Also dragging the dead soldier and daughter back in gave the mother an opportunity  to grief & bury her daughter. 

I also like the angle that we're going for with regards to Eun Hyeok's leadership. He took on the role immediately and made some tough calls. Yi Kyung disagreed with him saying that he was using people but I think he had to do what was best for the majority. I thought it fortunate that they had someone like EH who could calmly and clearly look for solutions.

By the way , I hope there's abit of romance (just some teasing will do) between guitar girl Ji Su and and spiritual man Jae Heon. Very cute pairing

• Like 2
  • Awesome 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: The Impossible Heir - Fri-Sat:  -  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - In Blossom, Guess Who I Am

11 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

The residents had thought that Sang Wook is the man to fear - he is or looks like a gangster after all. But they realised now that this scarred face man had no ill intentions. They likely thought him a bad person but he turned out the most humane one after all. If he hadn't killed that pedophile, those young children would be in danger. Also dragging the dead soldier and daughter back in gave the mother an opportunity  to grief & bury her daughter. 

Sang Wook is a misunderstood character due to his physical appearance. I think he is what many called a tsundere, right? Tough on the outside, a complete softie on the inside.

Him dragging the soldier and daughter back makes me go "aww" - and boy oh boy, I bawled my eyes out for the grieving mother and the children. It's only in that scene they were able to grieve properly for their loss. :cry:

The 4 leads are a unique combo. Each has very distinct and different personalities - very interesting.

I hope there's abit of romance (just some teasing will do) between guitar girl Ji Su and and spiritual man Jae Heon. Very cute pairing

Hahaha, there are at least 3 love lines hinted in this season. Non involve uri Do Hyun, bwahahaha (he is mineeee). :P

I am beginning to think that unfulfilled desires & how desperate you are for those desires to come through are necessary for the change. In the pedophile's case , he was already a monster. I thought that Sang Wook did the right thing killing him.

You're probably spot-on about unfulfilled desires because the paedophile has fulfilled his desire that is why he didn't need to change! I think it's too good to let him die though. He needs to suffer and be punished in the most painful way before death.

In Hyun Soo's case perhaps he could withstand the change because he was grappling with his inner desire to leave this world. He had wanted to kill himself before this as there was no purpose . But as he begin to start saving people , like he did those young children , perhaps something in him changed. There was reason to continue living.

So his inner desire is to die? In one of the episodes, he said he just wanted to live. That's why I didn't think dying was his true desire. Oh wait, let's come back to this when you reach the finale. Let me know if there's anything new you've discovered from the latter episodes.

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 1

Eps 6 & 7

hmm okay now I don't know if I have got it figured out about why Hyun Su turned. It isn't about desire alone...think it is about despair. Especially after seeing the reasons he got bullied & how that affected his father's job & his family - is it the feeling of injustice? But how come he's been able to resist completely becoming a monster? I did feel a little sorry that he was being used so to speak but I suppose Eun Hyeuk had no choice but to send him to run errands for every one's sake. Anyway I was happy that they decided to not to quarantine Hyun Su , or rather gave  him the choice of not being isolated. 

The scene of the grocery's owners wife finally needing to kill her husband was really sad.  Not that I liked the man , but I felt sorry for her.  We'd think that with all the emotional (plus physical ) abuse she's gotten from him, you'd think she'd be very happy to have an excuse to get rid of him. But instead it was sad because all she had really wanted was his apology. 

It looks like the residents are slowly turning - Ji Su's nose started bleeding. So it is a matter of time that she would right? Some of the residents are quite annoying but I think slowly you see how they start thinking beyond themselves. And honestly Eun Yu's teenage angst & potty mouth sometimes annoys me . 

Now I wonder if Yi Kyung's fiance is alive?

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Awesome 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: The Impossible Heir - Fri-Sat:  -  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - In Blossom, Guess Who I Am

I like episode 6 or 7 (?) - can't remember. It's the episode where we learnt more about Hyun Soo (Song Kang's eyes are beautiful in those scenes) and also where the Green Home residents started treating him friendlier and Eun Yoo telling Hyun Soo to speak up and express his feelings.

Episode 7 is also the episode where there's siblings interaction between Eun Hyuk and Eun Yoo, that we learn Eun Yoo does love Eun Hyuk and cares about him.

2 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

I did feel a little sorry that he was being used so to speak but I suppose Eun Hyeuk had no choice but to send him to run errands for every one's sake. Anyway I was happy that they decided to not to quarantine Hyun Su , or rather gave  him the choice of not being isolated. 

I was happy too they become more accepting of him after getting to know him. Eun Hyuk did give Hyun Soo a choice to either help them or leave. Under that circumstances it's a gamble/risk to keep Hyun Soo around.

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 1
2 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

@abs-oluteM Yeah he's with Namooactors. In good hands, I guess. How are you going with ep 8? It was a distractful time last night, LOL. Any chance of adopting him soon? :P

This is my second Song kang drama - 1st saw him in When The Devil Calls Your Name. Liked his father & son relationship with JKH's characer. Don't think I am at the point of adopting him yet though he's pretty good here.....my main love  is still Lee Do Hyun :wow:

How sexy is this voice?

I have to rewatch eps 8 ..was too distracted with all our spazzing last night

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So I just finished eps 8 - the last 10 minutes really got to me. When that security guard full of flies came back to get his revenge ( he was never happy with his job after all) , I had a feeling it was gonna be bad. But I didn't think that 

Spoiler

they would kill off one of my favourite characters - Jae Hyeon. When his arm holding his precious sword got sliced off & he sacrificed himself to make sure the guard dies ...I cried! Every one was just stunned and again Eun Hyeok made the tough call to throw the fire into the lift. LDH's restrained tears was really good. But anyway this was the saddest episode to date.

They played this song which really made me more emotional as I love the Imagine Dragons

• Like 2

Now that you are up to date @abs-oluteM and express love for katana guy (need to go learn his on/off screen name, haha). I can post some spoilers and something about him/this actor too.

More pictures at https://m.post.naver.com/viewer/postView.nhn?volumeNo=30344705&memberNo=46121155

I think his sacrifice was crucial to show that although humans can be monstrous (in layman's term - there are always bad apples), there are still those like Jung Jae Heon who has faith in humanity and is willing to sacrifice/die for the greater good; to protect his loved ones. Ok, now even I'm having teary eyes.

• Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 2

@abs-oluteMrecommended this drama so strongly that I ended up binging the first 6 episodes today. I have few words. It's a horrible and horrific drama in so many ways, even though it's beautiful filmed, well acted, and well developed.

So, anyone other than me think that Lee Do Hyun looks a bit like a younger Go Kyung Pyo?

Pretty much all the back stories are breaking my heart at least a bit. Except for the pedophile. It was hard watching the cigarette in his eye at the beginning, but after realizing his crime, I was okay with it.

On 12/28/2020 at 4:12 AM, Chocolate said:

Arghhh! So embarrassing! She fixed his glasses and he liked it! I thought there was romance!

To be fair, Eun Hyuk and Eun Yoo aren't blood related. EY likes HS, but EH could like EY maybe. Faux-cest is a much mined trope in kdramas.

• Haha 1
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

Hehehe this is so cute

EqpPL66VEAIA1IH?format=png&name=900x900

@abs-oluteM Agree. Eun Hyuk, being the leader, had to be tough so he's always suppressing his emotions so that others won't freak out. He hesitated too and obviously went through an internal struggle before throwing the fire. And Lee Do Hyun acted this out really well (so did others). The below gifs showed Do Hyun's restrains really well.

Spoiler

img.gif

source

And Hyun Soo also drive a knife into my heart looking so helpless since he rushes himself & completely broke his femur.

---

Did no one cried at the part where the grocery shop lady said now she understands Hyun Soo? It acted as a reminder that he had it tough in the beginning being the only outcast and he endured it all alone (gif for this scene).

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 2

They are supposed to be scary, and they aren't actually that scary in the drama and seeing them presented this way makes them funny and far from scary

More at Dane Diliegro's Instagram: very proud and honored to have been brought on to take part in such a fun show like sweet home. major shout to @spectralmotion for taking a chance on me knowing i was just two weeks into looking into acting as a profession.

that month in korea with the suit wrangling team is something i’ll never forget, and i couldn’t be more humbled to have embarked on this acting journey with a group of such talented people.

i am beyond grateful to have a job like this and i’m excited to show everyone much more to come. all love.

Some more BTS on Protein Monster: https://www.instagram.com/wayneandersondesigns/

• Like 3