Korean actor Lee Jin-wook goes 'beast-mode' in new K-drama 'Sweet Home'

976801.jpg

K-drama actor Lee Jin-wook, a heartthrob in series like Nine – 9 Times Time Travel and Voice 2 – is hardly recognisable in the new show Sweet Home.

Out on Netflix on Dec 18, Sweet Home is a 10-episode series based on a popular webtoon. It is set at an old apartment building where the occupants are suddenly faced with an unusual phenomenon that turns humans into monsters.

One of the occupants trying to survive and fight against the monsters is Pyeon Sang-wook (Lee), a mysterious man who has scars on his face and has a demenour (and fashion sense) of a gangster.

The 39-year-old actor was immediately keen on being part of the show after hearing the news that Sweet Home would be made into a series.

During a video interview, he told StarLifestyle: “I read the webtoon and absolutely loved it. I thought I could do a very good job of portraying a character from the webtoon. And so, you know, after making multiple calls, telling them that I want to be a part of the project, I was lucky enough to get the role."

Lee said he thoroughly enjoyed changing his good look into something else for the show.

He said: “Director Lee Eung-Bok (Goblin and Mr Sunhine) gave me a lot of guidance on how to create my character, complete with empty eyes.

“He told me that he wants me to feel completely different from my previous roles in the very first scene. So, I had a visual makeover.

He added: "I look so different, that people won’t even notice that it is me at first glance.”

cr.  The Star

• Like 3

Episode 1

The opening is sooooo good. The show began some time in Sept 2020 and then goes back to a month ago before everything began. Great cinematography and special effects on the monsters. I feel like I'm watching a movie. The presentation is just jjiang and impressive.

I don't find it scary but it is definitely gory (lots of blood) and some horrific scenes that perhaps some of you might not like so perhaps watch it during the day. @Tofu

I'm half way through episode 2 now. It's hard to stop! So engaging.

• Like 2
  • Party! 1

First Impression (without spoilers)

This is a show where you start, you CANNOT stop. It's a super addictive crack drama. Obviously Netflix isn't helping when it goes to the next episode automatically (ok, my fault for setting it that way). I'm forcing myself to take a break because it is sooooo good that I don't want it to finish it too quick.

Based on the first few episodes I thought we will mostly be watching them fight the monsters, but not at all. As we delve further into the latter episodes, it shows us some backstory of the main casts. There were many touching, tears jerking moments and then there were some humours too. Kudos to all of the actors, really, for making all these so believable. Salute to PD and the production team doing a fantastic job on Sweet Home. Because of the genre, it will also be easy to be picked up by foreign viewers and loved.

By episode 4-5, the actions slow down a little and take the backseat allowing some character exploration. This is a drama where humans not only fight monsters, they also fight the demons within themselves. Lee Jin Wook has a misunderstanding physical look and is neither a good guy nor a villain. He was a mysterious character for many episodes and I was dying to know what was his reason being in Green Home and did what he did. Once it was revealed though, I can't help rooting for him. He has a couple of very dark moment in the show which makes me think of Sushi - she'll be thrilled to see that particular gory scene based on her telling me about his dark side in Voice.

@abs-oluteM Uri Lee Do Hyun is a very practical and cold-hearted leader of the Green Home. Although he had few moments where he was showing some weakness, he dealt with it quickly and man up. I don't know his backstory yet and looks forward to getting to know him better. At this point the show hasn't allowed him to show off his acting prowness because he's super robotically calm. Fingers crossed we'll see some soon.

I hope this show give me a nice ending. It'd kill me to end in cliffhanger! I don't need an S2, just give me a satisfying ending. This is another show, like Train to Busan, using the zombies as the medium to display the many sides of human nature which we normally don't show unless we're pushed to a corner.

Edit: Even the opening credit is nicely done - the graphics and the choir + orchestral music.

@Lynne Are you watching it yet?

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

Bet you are more than 7 now!

I'm on the last ep10! Nooooooooooooooooo I don't want it to end! :pandasad: Stop to extend more time again LOLLLL.

@mademoiselle I'm doneeee and aaaaaaa I want moreeeeee...

I enjoy this drama... 

What I really like is that despite the horror theme, the drama never forgets what it want to tell.. its a story about humanity.. the good and bad..

The ending.... ahh.. so the group are now separated..  :cry:

Spoiler

I wonder if Eunhyuk is really dead.

and where's the scarface ahjushi....

I'm betting the one driving the car with Hyunsu is not the scarface ahjushi.. but the other human-monster...because he doesn't have a scar. 

Spoiler

• Like 2
  • Party! 1

@Lynne I'm done too! :pandasadspoon:

Spoiler

So mean... they're teasing us with an S2. Will there be one? With the original casts?!!

Yeah that's not Lee Jin Wook anymore. The evil monster (lol, he's the second male lead from Brahms) took his body that's why all his burnt scars are gone. I think Eun Hyuk might survive because he must have stayed behind knowing he's already infected. Those blood we saw was his nose bleeding.

I'm so sad Doo Shik ahjussi got infected too. I don't quite understand how this infection works. I know the criteria is "desire" however many of the civilians in Green Home are more likely to turn into monsters than our main casts and they didn't.

How cool and amazing was Hyun Soo's monster transformation? I have to go re-watch this bit later because it was an unexpected scene. I suspect it was just a part transformation. He looks like he's going to be a dark angel with volcanic wings that can burn monster to ashes". That evil monster is powerful as well and hard to get rid off. He seems to be obsessed with Hyun Soo too and what is in that brief case?

I waited for Hyun Soo and sister's backstory but there weren't much! I want to get to know him more and learn why he's so cool, calm and collected! Aishhh! Lee Do Hyun better return in S2. Now that he's gotten a bit more famous with 18 Again, I hope they'll give him more screen time in S2.

Oh my god, The Swoon is promoting!!! Yayyyy gimme moreeee!

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 1

Lee Jin-uk!!!! I wish I'd known he was in this. Still, it's not too late.

Yessssss... it's been a while. I'm excited. Now I've got to find a time to watch this -- I like it when they do an episode dump.

I really like what I see in the trailers. The monsters especially.

• Like 3
  • Party! 1

Currently Watching: Queen of Tears, In Blossom

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

On 12/19/2020 at 12:48 PM, mademoiselle said:

@abs-oluteM Uri Lee Do Hyun is a very practical and cold-hearted leader of the Green Home. Although he had few moments where he was showing some weakness, he dealt with it quickly and man up. I don't know his backstory yet and looks forward to getting to know him better. At this point the show hasn't allowed him to show off his acting prowness because he's super robotically calm. Fingers crossed we'll see some soon.

oooo ...my hubs binged this . Said it was good. I will watch this  for Lee Do Hyun later in the week. I am seriously overloaded with dramas . He looks so good with glasses. I was ogling on twitter :GrowDerp:

@40somethingahjumma oh yes, you like LJW ! By the way who's on your profile pic? He's got a cute pout.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

@abs-oluteM :CharmanderYay: Yayyy! Your hubby is awesome. Hahaha! I think you might also adopt Song Kang after watching this. He's such a cutie pie. I adopted him after Love Alarm :BulbaOWO:I now know why he's cast as Hyun Soo.

img.gif

I'm waiting for people to GIF his scenes. There's this one scene he really makes me wanna give him a good, tight hug. He's older than Do Hyun but looks younger, don't you think? Lee Si Young kept getting them mix up in The Swoon and Do Hyun corrected her TWICE. :laugh:

The live action is well loved by most people. However I come across webtoon readers being partial to the adaptation, ha-ha. I'm glad I didn't read the webtoon then.

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

@abs-oluteM

Yeah, I've been fond of Lee Jin-uk since The Time We Were Not in Love (not a great adaptation but I liked him in it) and then started to watch Three Musketeers, Nine etc. 

So your other half liked it, eh? I'm wondering if my other half will. He's been watching Uncanny Counter with me and the second child.

Profile Pic

Spoiler

He's one of the main leads from Psych-Hunter. A Sherlock Holmes styled psychiatrist who is observant and cool-headed. The character is called Qin Yi-heng, the second son of a business magnate in Changshan. The actor is Liu Dongqin.

Nice looking lad.

Terrific drama. Highly recommend it. I need to write a review for it.

• Like 2

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

I've completed Episode 1 and yes... it is absolutely an exercise in blood and guts. The blood part is ... I'm sure there was more blood spilt in that first episode than what any hospital has in their blood bank.

Still... I enjoyed it I think... if such a word can be used for such a show. It is definitely intriguing. And my interest has been piqued.

This is definitely a daytime only affair for me because the viewing experience is far too visceral and I need serious recovery time from this.

The set-up is good. The drama does a decent job of introducing the characters and building the world in which they live. Lots of familiar faces up and down the apartment block. I instantly recognized the bass player's signature tune from Hospital Playlist. I think it's this one...

Spoiler

I'm keen to see more of Lee Jin-uk's character. He must know something about what's going on with the monsters. It's always gratifying that actors allow themselves to be uglified to this extent. But he's never been one to shy away from a challenge. Plus he seems to be antihero figure. 

Good start. Eager to see more. But I can't bingewatch this... might get mental indigestion. 

• Like 2